OEM Michelins vs. Bridgestone RE970AS

Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Michelins vs. Bridgestone RE970AS

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires to replace my OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires (with only 17k mi) since I wanted better performance, especially in wet weather. Before making a final decision, I decided to read the Tire Rack tire tests involving these two tires and can't believe what I read.

In short, the MXM4s beat the 970s in slalom times, lap times, wet stopping distance and dry cornering! How can this be?!

The Grand Touring All-Season tires were tested on a 2003 BMW 330Ci and the Ultra High Performance All-Season tires were tested on a 2012 BMW 328i. Both tests involved real-world road testing and used the same track for additional tests.

Can anyone explain why the OEM Grand Touring tire beat a newer Ultra High Performance tire in the all-season category? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re970 as

Originally Posted by LA2LR
I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires to replace my OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires (with only 17k mi) since I wanted better performance, especially in wet weather. Before making a final decision, I decided to read the Tire Rack tire tests involving these two tires and can't believe what I read.

In short, the MXM4s beat the 970s in slalom times, lap times, wet stopping distance and dry cornering! How can this be?!

The Grand Touring All-Season tires were tested on a 2003 BMW 330Ci and the Ultra High Performance All-Season tires were tested on a 2012 BMW 328i. Both tests involved real-world road testing and used the same track for additional tests.

Can anyone explain why the OEM Grand Touring tire beat a newer Ultra High Performance tire in the all-season category? Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, the Bridgestone tires did better than the OEM MXM4 according to tire rack.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Those Bridgestone's are very nice tires! There is the Potenza Re760 Sport that is also very good and less expensive, I used it for over a year on my previous car.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I know you didnt list these, but I recently replaced my stock Michelins (19" from the HPT upgrade) at 12k miles... they had 6/32 left and a nail was the reason for my trip. $1100 out the door from Discount Tire I put on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) tires.

I have had them on now for about 350miles and I must say wet and dry so far night and day compared to the factory crap! Practically Zero road noise as well.

Just offering up another option to consider I chose them based on reviews and other 4G owners who got them as well and no complaints with the decision.

I also wanted to add they felt odd (call it soft/spongy/whatever) the first 150miles but after that they are now solid so if you do decide wait at least till they break in before passing full judgement.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
LA2LR, what size tires are you discussing in your original post?
And what car do you have, fwd or sh-awd?

I'm just curious. I have the Michelins but they did not come on my 2010 fwd car, I got them later and they were built in 2012. My understanding is that the tires supplied to the factory are different than the tires sold in the aftermarket, even if they are the same type, same name etc. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
10th Gear

Moving forward with the new Bridgestones. If anyone else is considering these, take note of the rebate and Bridgestone football promo this month!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the tires on your car?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:21 PM
5th Gear

IMHO... Second TL and third set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions... Hands down the best all around AS tire for this vehicle. Not a fan of the stock Michelins... Do plenty of driving, aprox 45k/year in all road conditions dry to several inches of snow.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
This is an old thread but just so everybody understands, these tires were tested on two completely different vehicles nearly 10 years apart. The data cannot be compared.
The following users liked this post:
jim_c (11-25-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IrishTR
I know you didnt list these, but I recently replaced my stock Michelins (19" from the HPT upgrade) at 12k miles... they had 6/32 left and a nail was the reason for my trip. $1100 out the door from Discount Tire I put on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) tires.

I have had them on now for about 350miles and I must say wet and dry so far night and day compared to the factory crap! Practically Zero road noise as well.

Just offering up another option to consider I chose them based on reviews and other 4G owners who got them as well and no complaints with the decision.

I also wanted to add they felt odd (call it soft/spongy/whatever) the first 150miles but after that they are now solid so if you do decide wait at least till they break in before passing full judgement.
i realize I am the 2nd person to bump an old thread..but if I'm reading this right you preferred the DWS over the mich PS2s?! I've never had summers but I thought short of winter and cold they'd beat all seasons everyday all day
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
The Bridgestone RE970's are an Ultra High Performance All Season compared to the OE tire that is a Grand Touring All-Season Tire.

It's apples and oranges and the RE970 is going to be a better performing tire although it may give a harsher ride and may not last as long as the MX4M. I have the Continental DWS on my TL and they have been great. First set lasted 42K and the second is on target to last about 45K. Very quiet and the handle fairly well. With factory air pressure they can be mushy, I run them at 35-36PSI cold.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I also have the OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires and have found them to be great tires. I have about 65K miles and expect to get 2-5K more before having to replace them. I have a 2011 SH-AWD and drive a lot of freeway. I drove in pouring rain this week with no issue as well as over a mountain pass with a little snow today and the tires are fine, but nearing the end of their life.

I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with Goodyear on their TL. I stopped by a dealer where I have purchased tires for my last few trucks and SUV's. They recommend the Eagle Sport All Season which has performance similar to the F1 Asymmetric All-Season but a little cheaper. Looking at Tire Rack online, They rate these tires higher than any of the Michelin tires discussed on these threads.

So, the reason for the post - does anyone have any experience with these Goodyear tires on their TL?

Thanks,
Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

2009 Acura TL Tech with OEM 17's.
Hello I am considering the Bridgestone Turanza Serenty Plus from Costco. Thing is I have had great success with the OEM Michelins Pilot HX MXM4 with 85,000 miles. The Bridgestones are around $400 less with better warranty. Anyone with experience with these?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mel88hrman
2009 Acura TL Tech with OEM 17's.
Hello I am considering the Bridgestone Turanza Serenty Plus from Costco. Thing is I have had great success with the OEM Michelins Pilot HX MXM4 with 85,000 miles. The Bridgestones are around $400 less with better warranty. Anyone with experience with these?
Discount tire will price match anyone and their service will be better than anyone out there! Free lifetime balancing and rotation!

The Bridgestones are fairly on par with the MXM4 tires. They do use more gasoline compared to the MXM4 tires with an almost 2% loss in MPG with tirerack's testing. The MXM4 lost 1% MPG compared to the baseline.

Tirerack also said that they would improve the wet handling of the Bridgestone while they were content with the wet handling of the MX4M.

The MX4M are $196 each on tirerack vs the bridgestones are $165.

Even though the warranty is better, it's applied only to another set of tires that have to be bridgestone! I'm not a fan of the michelin MX4M as they are not sticky enough for me but it appears to have given you a fantastic experience. I'd honestly stick with the MX4M's.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Thermoguy
I also have the OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires and have found them to be great tires. I have about 65K miles and expect to get 2-5K more before having to replace them. I have a 2011 SH-AWD and drive a lot of freeway. I drove in pouring rain this week with no issue as well as over a mountain pass with a little snow today and the tires are fine, but nearing the end of their life.

I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with Goodyear on their TL. I stopped by a dealer where I have purchased tires for my last few trucks and SUV's. They recommend the Eagle Sport All Season which has performance similar to the F1 Asymmetric All-Season but a little cheaper. Looking at Tire Rack online, They rate these tires higher than any of the Michelin tires discussed on these threads.

So, the reason for the post - does anyone have any experience with these Goodyear tires on their TL?

Thanks,
I have the GoodYear Eagle Sport on my 2010 TL SH-AWD. Had them on for about a year and have been pretty pleased with them. Definitely not a sport tire but the performance in dry weather is acceptable. Maybe seemed a little spongy for first 500 miles but settled in. Rain and snow has been very good. I'd consider these again.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM
8th Gear

Replace the OE MXM4s on my 2011 SH-AWD about a month ago. They weren't worn out, but I just got tired of the harshness of the ride. Got kind of obsessed about it for a while and was looking at performance tires, but when I decided to do the deed the guy at the shop recommended at Michelin Premier A/S. I bit.

They have been fantastic, so far. A bit quieter and much more compliant. They have a totally different feel from the OE tires - a bit quieter, more compliant, but feel like they have more grip. Steering feel is different, too. Just finished driving from Atlanta to Dallas in moderate rain for a ways and they never felt like they were ever disconnected, even when I let the speed creep to over 75 in the rain.

I think they are going to be great. Not a performance tire, but a grand tourer.

Last edited by jajameson; 12-20-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Can't type.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Although the Michelin Premier A/S doesn't shine in the dry, but it's strength lies in when the roads are wet.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 AM
8th Gear

Yep - not a performance tire, but more than adequate even in the dry. Check out TireRack's comparison test; ended up on top in the grand touring class.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks for commenting. I did see the Michelin Premier and they rate very well on tire rack. It is nice to hear your experience and that they ride smooth and quiet. I have been comparing the Goodyear Eagle Sport to the Michelin Premier and think I might be sticking with Michelin.

I was told by the guy at Costco that Michelin go on sale in January. Has anyone heard what that sale might be?

thanks
Old 12-23-2014, 01:25 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Likely the usual $50-$100 off a set (4) of new Michelin tires promotion.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
$70 off instantly when you purchase 4 tires.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Instructor

I'm loving my Michelins so far. We have always had Michelin on all of our cars until recently. My girlfriend was driving through a new development and ended up having roofing nails in all four tires to where they could not replace them. Thank God I put the warranty on them at Discount Tire. The Accord originally had Michelin's but the sales guy at Discount Tire recommended the Pirelli P7. All I can say is the Pirellis ride ALOT smoother, no ride noise compared to the Michelins. Has anyone switched to the P7's on the TL's?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
my brother has the P7s on his 3G and loves it. He has not tried the DWS or anything other than the original OEM so he doesn't have anything else to compare them to.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tcwhite
I'm loving my Michelins so far. We have always had Michelin on all of our cars until recently. My girlfriend was driving through a new development and ended up having roofing nails in all four tires to where they could not replace them. Thank God I put the warranty on them at Discount Tire. The Accord originally had Michelin's but the sales guy at Discount Tire recommended the Pirelli P7. All I can say is the Pirellis ride ALOT smoother, no ride noise compared to the Michelins. Has anyone switched to the P7's on the TL's?
I dealt with P7 runflats on a few BMW rentals and found them to be pretty good Grand Touring Tires. They take some effort to spin and provide a pretty great ride. I was very satisfied with the steering feel (maybe bc it was a 2014 328i) and it was great in wet/dry.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
don't have much mileage on bridgestones. i have driven over 500K on michelins yes they wear fast by a great (dry,wet,winter) all around tire.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Just thought I would add another comment on this string.

On the 30th I purchased the Michelin Premier tires from Discount Tire. I have put about 500-600 miles on them since install. I have not had a chance to drive on wet or icy roads yet, but so far I am very happy with the decision. And something I did not even know I would notice, but my gas mileage is better by a couple miles per gallon. Kind of early to have any real opinion, but definitely like the way the drive, no road noise, and seem like good performance.

Thanks to anyone that commented and helped with my decision.