3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will '05 seats fit '07 TL Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Will '05 seats fit '07 TL Type S?

im trading in my 05 TL tomorrow. I need to know ASAP if the 05 seats will be a direct swap with the 07 type-s. The 07 type-s seats are in really bad condition. Both the 05 and 07 seats are ebony, but the silver section on the type-s are really faded. If any one knows if the connections are the same please chime in. Thank you .

Also, just in case its not a direct swap, if anyone knows any upholstery place in NY or any products that will dye leather please let me know. I have read a few threads on it, just wondering if there are any other good products out there.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Profe waddup... u gotta hit up Rodney his boy place is no joke, def good job there seen my boys TL ripped leather, he took it there and boom fixed like OEM new
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Pro

dimelooooooo..wheres the place? pm me the name of the location
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Pro

bump
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
they will fit, but a better option is to keep the seats in the type s and just get them reupholstered ... the type s seats have more side bolstering
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I'M GOING IN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read on the forum once that someone with a TL tried to swap 08 seats into his 04 and could not???

Somthing about pan design if I recall???
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
they will fit, but a better option is to keep the seats in the type s and just get them reupholstered ... the type s seats have more side bolstering
^ This

One of those small upgrades to the Type S that makes it worth the extra spend.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Pro

Thanks for the input everyone. I think Im going to upholster the tears.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Revival of an old thread with some pertinent information for anyone who may find useful.

No offense, but the quoted statememt above is false, as I have first hand experience having just performaed a total interior swap from base/type-s. The seat foam for side bolstering is the same size and density. The are no comfort or support improvements. The only changes were:

1) Horizontal seat divisions (seams) on the seat back and bottom are different. Honda/Acura did not put any more time into the seat design besides some visual appeal in the form of two tone upolstry (for some type-s color combinations) and stitching. This is also true for the rear seats.

2) The type-s OPDS (occupant detection module for arbag system) is totally different and will not work with a base model seat/vise versa. The harnesses are designed differently from an electronics perspective as all connectors are different. I made this happen, but it was not easy...... as all the sensors are glued into the seat cushion foam and had to be removed so that they could stay with the OPDS unit when changing vehicles. Rewiring was not an option, as the module communicates with the SRS module (airbag unit) under the center dash and is encoded with a serial number. If this swap is not done as I have outlined, you will receive SRS error 85-63 and no airbags systems will function in the event of a crash. Beware!

Hope this helps someone now/in the future. I put alot of time into my swap and it WAS NOT fun! :P

Last edited by gerzand; 11-24-2011 at 01:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gerzand:
corrado85 (11-27-2014), triax37 (10-21-2016)
Old 11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
I stand corrected ... i did not realize it was that different. I was truly under the impression that the bolstering was different as my seats I thought look different then my buddies who has an 04 ... guess my eyes were playing tricks on me ... or his seats are just more worn in then mine
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I stand corrected ... i did not realize it was that different. I was truly under the impression that the bolstering was different as my seats I thought look different then my buddies who has an 04 ... guess my eyes were playing tricks on me ... or his seats are just more worn in then mine
no problem man just thought i'd share
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by gerzand
Revival of an old thread with some pertinent information for anyone who may find useful.

No offense, but the quoted statememt above is false, as I have first hand experience having just performaed a total interior swap from base/type-s. The seat foam for side bolstering is the same size and density. The are no comfort or support improvements. The only changes were:

1) Horizontal seat divisions (seams) on the seat back and bottom are different. Honda/Acura did not put any more time into the seat design besides some visual appeal in the form of two tone upolstry (for some type-s color combinations) and stitching. This is also true for the rear seats.

2) The type-s OPDS (occupant detection module for arbag system) is totally different and will not work with a base model seat/vise versa. The harnesses are designed differently from an electronics perspective as all connectors are different. I made this happen, but it was not easy...... as all the sensors are glued into the seat cushion foam and had to be removed so that they could stay with the OPDS unit when changing vehicles. Rewiring was not an option, as the module communicates with the SRS module (airbag unit) under the center dash and is encoded with a serial number. If this swap is not done as I have outlined, you will receive SRS error 85-63 and no airbags systems will function in the event of a crash. Beware!

Hope this helps someone now/in the future. I put alot of time into my swap and it WAS NOT fun! :P
Oh you mean like this? haha I am working on an TypeS cluster and installed a 07/08 SRS to use the FCAN and then I find out the OPDS is not coompatible with the SRS.. That goes along with what you said. The part I don't understand (well, 1 of them) is the SRS Unit for the Base and the TypeS is the same (same part numbers).. But the OPDS part number is different.. So I am confused as to which OPDS I need to buy...

read the note:

And also, will I be able to clear the Airbag light with these 3 codes? I can replace the front impact sensors since they are cheap, but I never had any airbag light on when I had my 05 SRS unit in there.. So I dont know if a faulty front impact sensor will cause the SRS light to come on, AND I dont know if the fault impact sensor dtc is being somehow misread since the OPDS is a wrong model.. AND I dont know if that DTC is just left over from the car I got it from off ebay.. But I just sent and recieved this 07/08 SRS unit from a guy on the web who said he could reset the SRS unit ... But I dont know if he really did or what.. So, all I know to do is start hacking on it and see what happens.. What do you think? BTW, I do have a HDS tool and it will reset DTC's but I dont know if it will reset Permanent DTCs... I thought this guy on the web had a special programmer that would reprogram the unit. As if the HDS tool will not do clear all DTCs... *I dunno* So far its just trial and error. Eventually I will get it though i think. BTW, Do i really gotta remove the seat to replace the OPDS? arg.. haha

Btw, My tpms works great on my 05 TL. I just have to finish this airbag light thingy.

this looks like I should be able to clear the DTC after I replace the front impact sensor..

Last edited by Chad05TL; 11-25-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Drifting

before I had the SRS unit reset by some guy on ebay, I had this DTC. But this is gone now.. Thats good! I dont have any codes now that say "replace the SRS unit" .. thankfully.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Drifting

compare models

my only question is why are the OPDS units different on between the typeS and the BaseTL if the SRS units are the same! weird.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-01-2014 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^ Thats Honda for you...........always changing little things
Old 12-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Drifting

looking at the helm book for only 07/08, I see nothing that separates BaseTL to TypeS in the schematics for the SRS or the OPDS. So, if the part numbers are different between these 2 models for the OPDS, I wonder if the typeS has been programmed to tell 1 more feature to the cluster or system? The SRS unit is the same, so it can't be too different.. Just maybe 1 feature added in the S model. Like maybe extra warning light? haha I dont know enough about the typeS to know if there is something you get on the airbag system that you don't on the Base. If it is, it is likely just electronically programmed and not a physical difference that you can see on the schematic. So what I am trying to say is that they might be interchangeable between the 07 base and the TypeS.. since the SRS unit is the same, and it communicates with the OPDS.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-01-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Drifting

I think I just found out why the OPDS unit is different. It has something to do with the back pad assembly

Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Drifting

the whole system--- And it looks like only 1 little line goes to the SRS unit/brain. So, this is why the SRS unit is the same. Any extra sensing the OPDS and back pad is doing on the TypeS, it is sending it electronically to the SRS unit. Probably just doing something like setting a code.. Which again, this is why the SRS unit is the same on both BaseTL and typeS. Because I think the SRS unit receives codes and sets codes the same way on both models. That's why the SRS unit didn't change.

07/08 TL (Base or TypeS)

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Just for grins, here is the 05. The OPDS still has just 1 connection to the SRS unit, although the schematic is drawn differently. The main differences are within the seat itself. So, a person could go through it and splice and move all those connections, but I say it would be easier to replace the seat, and then just think about the external connections going to the SRS unit. Notice on the 05 model there is a seat weight sensor.. That part was eliminated in the 07. Because the outter/innner side passenger weight sensors are connected directly to the ODS/OPDS unit in the 07. So again, all that is "internal seat workings". No need to change any of that if you get a newer seat and then just think about "external connections to the seat". Like where they go in and out only. And as gerzand already said... the reason this has to be done is because the SRS unit is looking for a model number or a serial number from the OPDS unit. If it doesn't match then it throws that code. And the reason I wanted to change the SRS unit in the first place was because I got a TypeS cluster that requires the airbag indicator light and the tpms information to be sent on the FCAN. So in the process of changeing the SRS unit to accomodate the new connections, then that opens a few more can of worms because the SRS unit is looking for a specific OPDS unit. So, long story short, if you want to upgrade to a typeS cluster, then you have to swap out the SRS unit and the passenger seat! haha And trust me, that SRS unit is BURIED!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on what I just read.. can somebody confirm that I can NOT swap 07 type S seats into my 2004 Base TL because the airbag detection system is different?

Could I just swap the upholstery skins from the type S over to the base TL seats?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by energyblue98
Based on what I just read.. can somebody confirm that I can NOT swap 07 type S seats into my 2004 Base TL because the airbag detection system is different?

Could I just swap the upholstery skins from the type S over to the base TL seats?
^^ Read my post above. Its along those same lines. It can be done.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Drifting

It actually is possible but you would have to splice all the connections between the opds and the seat sensors... And you would limely need to retain your 04 opds unit. I just saw the 04 seat configuration and it is more similar to the 07 than my 05. In 05 acura introduced a passenger seat weight sensor then they took it right back out in 07. All the changes are INTERNAL to the seat. And the actual plug that connects the seat into the car harness is 100% plug and play on my 05. Reference c801. That is the connector that should be plug and play. The other wiring differences are done on the seat harnesses itself! So you can transfer the harness from 1 seat to the other. But you are blind doing it without a schematic. I have the 07 helm for sale for $50
Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Replacing the skins would be difficult because they are clamped with several small metal rings to the cushion. And like gerald said, you cant swap seat sensors because they are glued to the foam cushion. I have a pic i will post later.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Btw.. The harness to swap is only a mini sub harness and it is transferable between seats. All the controls for the seat position are the same between 05 and 07. It just takes time and patience.. You just have to splice 7 shielded wires which is tricky.. These 7 will connect to your new opds.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Drifting

So I just did this swap of the electronics and spliced the OPDS into my 05 seat.. The SWS would initialize but the OPDS will not initialize even though I have on 07 SRS unit and a 07 OPDS. I think either I have the splice wrong or the "opds sensors" are not compatible. The only reason I wanted to splice it is because the 07 seat I bought from LKQ is not so clean and rather smelly. So, now I am tempted to just reverse the splice and install the 07 Seat and see if it will work that way. Actually, I shold have tried it that way first.. Because as long as you have the 07 SRS unit, the 07 Seat SHOULD plug and play after you initialize both the OPDS and the SWS.. because the socket where the seat plugs into the floor harness is identical! Same color code too! The only differences between both seats are internal to the seat.. All the power and communications of the seat plugs in the same way.

So I am not sure what I want to do. Either retry to adjust my splice job (no color code) or just put the 07 parts back on the 07 seat and swap the skins..? But there is a metal ring clamp on the seat.. It might be easier to remove than to put it back together! So I was kinda scared of doing that.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Drifting

These "opds sensors" , as seen there in the black lines, those sure look like a heating element.. All those are plugged into the OPDS though. weird.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Drifting

I just moved everything back to the 07 seat that I have and tried to initialize the 07 opds and it sttilllll wont initialize.. I have an 07 SRS unit that was reset by an online service. I dont know what is wrong! I'm over it though! The SWS initializes just fine. It's messed up. Time to trade. I guess. maybe demod.

Heck I thought I was in bad shape until I saw this:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/4807076974.html

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Drifting

I'm assume no one knows about this, but I have an 07 SRS unit and 2 OPDS's that I bought on ebay. 1 of them is from a typeS and the other is a base TL OPDS. And NEITHER of them will initialize. Here is the error.. It says the ECU serial ID is not matching the OPDS.. Replace OPDS with proper model! And I did the SCS memory erase before I started.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-20-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Drifting

I think I will replace those front impact sensors tomorrow. The beginning of the "initialization process" says make sure you have no other codes other than 4 they list. In fact, 85-64 is one of the codes that is on the list, so it is ok to have that code. In fact,I think the initialization process is suppose to remove that code! So, maybe the front impact sensors are causing the initialization to fail? Because the 85-64 is not causing it to fail. The 85-64 is a RESULT of the initialization failing, not the cause.. (I think). So since I am confident in my wiring, and I have the entire 07 seat installed and no incompatibilities with "seat sensors" or internal seat wiring, then my only guess is the front impact sensors are hosing the process. The weird thing is that I never had an airbag light before this upgrade procedure. Only when I installed the 07 SRS unit, then I have this airbag light and I see the front impact sensor codes are there. I never had an HDS tool until this upgrade, so I don't know if that code was preexisting or not. If it was not pre-existing, then something about those 05 front impact sensors are not compatible with the new SRS unit.. And its not the wiring. The impact sensors plug into the same port/pin on the 07 as it does the 05 SRS unit. So its not a wiring problem. I have both 07 and 05 helm ETM's to compare with. Anyways! I will replace those front impact sensors tomorrow afternoon and try to initialize the opds tomorrow afternoon and post back my findings. Peace!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Drifting

TypeS Cluster in a 05 TL!

SUCCESS!!! AIRBAG LIGHT IS OFF! SO EXCITED! TPMS A OK! I need to write this up! haha Presently I have an 07 Base TL seat with the OPDS that came with the seat. And a SRS unit I got from ebay. I have a video but its not the best quality. I will post later if no one believes. Next task is tomorrow I want to splice it back into my 05 Seat and re-install it back into my car and see if it works that way too! Need 24 hours cause I'm going running, its sunny and 64. What a great Christmas present. Now I can move on to the TypeS RSB I bought and the TypeS spoiler.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
EvilVirus (10-21-2016)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Drifting

SUCCESS AGAIN! I just spliced the ODS unit into my 05 Seat and it works! I need to write all this up. haha (it is called ODS unit in 07 HELM ETM, but it is called the OPDS unit in the 04-05 HELM ETM).
EvilVirus (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 02:48 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys! I'm new on acurazine and really need help. I have an 08 acura tl base, and I'm wondering if 05 acura tl seats will fit in my car WITHOUT having to splice wires or doing any mods to get the plugs or anything to fit. Basically, is it just plug and play type of deal. HELP WITH ANSWERS PLEASE!!!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Drifting

The 05 opds is not compatible with the 08 srs unit. And that is where 8t gets tricky. You will have to install a 0708 opds in the 05 seat. Then that will eliminate the need for a 2nd connector that the 05 seat has... the other connector on the seat will already fit the harness that goes into the floor. Once the new opds is installed, then it will have to be initialized. And you need a either the dealer to do it, or you can buy..I think it is called.. an HDS tool which works with a laptop. The last hurdle you have to deal with is the connectors in the seat will not fit the new opds. So you will need to splice in the seat sensors into the opds. And those cables are shielded. They have an inner copper cable and an outer aluminum shield and both have to be spliced ..otherwise it won't work.

Basically you are going to need an 08 seat where you can steal opds and there is 1 wire that needs to transfer over too. You will see . I think that wire is internal only. It doesntt connect to the car harness.

Doing this without both the 05 and 08 helm would have been impossible for me because it was my guide. A comparison between the 2 models. I hope you have patience and time.

Originally Posted by AcuraTLD
Hey guys! I'm new on acurazine and really need help. I have an 08 acura tl base, and I'm wondering if 05 acura tl seats will fit in my car WITHOUT having to splice wires or doing any mods to get the plugs or anything to fit. Basically, is it just plug and play type of deal. HELP WITH ANSWERS PLEASE!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad05TL:
AcuraTLD (10-21-2016), to0nz (03-10-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:52 AM
Drifting

And you have to learn how the HDS tool works. It's not just push a button that says initiate me. And the seat has to be all the way forward on the bottom and the top to get it to initialize. Yes, loonnngg discovery method ...it took me..

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-21-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Great job chad
Old 10-21-2016, 02:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your quick and educated response Chad05TL! Yea, sounds like too much work than it's worth to me. I'd rather just buy other 08 seats. Lol.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

Ok. You guys seem to know your stuff about these seats. I have a question along these lines as well. I have a 2004 base auto. Before I did a complete interior swap, the SRS light would occasionally come on. But would go away after shutting the car off. Figured a sensor or switch was going bad. Found a 2005 base 6mt with all black interior in really good shape. So I bought it as a parts car and swapped all the 05 interior into my 04. Once I did that, the SRS stays on. I've double checked to make sure I plugged everything in. Which it is. But I did notice the 05 driver seat has an extra plug that the 04 did not. It is a 2 wire grey plug with 2 brown wires. 1. What does that plug control? 2. Is that my SRS issue? Or 3. Has my SRS module went out? Any help is greatly appreciated. As I can't seem to find much info on this subject. Pic is of plug in 05 parts car that is not in my 04.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Most of the SRS plugs are yellow. The book doesn't have a way to look up a plug. I never messed with my drivers side seat. All the SRS unit stuff is in the center dash panel or the passenger side left arm
The good news for you is that the airbag light is illuminated the same way in the 04 and 05. I think.... based on what I see in the helm book..
The 07/08 uses the bcan to send a message to the cluster to turn off or on the airbag light. The 05 does have a bcan going to the cluster, but in 05 honda did not program the SRS unit talk to the cluster through the bcan. Instead the SRS unit (floorboard) has a dedicated wire going to the cluster to control the light. I suspect the 04 is the same way. That wire was removed in 07. So moving from 04 to 05 is much easier than going from 04 or 05 to 07/08. (which is what I did)

Anyway, try to find out what the plug was plugged into. get a part number or something. or trace the wires and see where they go on both ends, or 1 end. The gray plug does look familiar but I don't remember now. Been too long.

If your airbag light was coming on before the swap then most likely there is a bad sensor. It could even be the front impact sensor. To be sure, you need an HDS system to read the SRS code(s).

Also, if you swap the 04 OPDS unit (which is located in the passenger left arm ) with the 05 OPDS unit, and leave the 04 SRS unit installed, it won't work until you initialize them all together. Even if they are compatible and the SAME year, they would have to be initialized. It sort of "mates" them together. And to initialize them, you need an HDS tool. OR you may be able to remove the 05 SRS unit and install it in the 04. I don't remember off-hand if the part numbers are the same. If the SRS unit part #'s are the same, then I would at least remove the SRS unit from the 05 and place it in the 04 because at least they were initialized together at some point. That said, hopefully the SRS unit in the 05 does not have any codes. I mean it was salvage, right? Was it wrecked? Codes can be erased from the SRS unit, but hardset codes cannot. But fortunately, I don't think all hardset codes cause an airbag light once you clear it. The code will remain as a record, but it may not cause the light to remain on forever. Still it may need to be purged of codes once.

CTucker (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

Chad05TL thank you for your help! When the weather gets better I will trace the plug wires and see where they go. The plug itself was plugged into a connector under the driver seat. Right next to the yellow SRS plug. Only other thing I can think of that the plug could go to is the "seat position sensor". And I only think that because it is a 2 wire plug as well. Also I don't use the seat memory feature. So idk if it works and that's the only thing I could think of that would need a seat position sensor. I'm not sure what my 05 parts car was given a Certificate of destruction for. Guy I got it from was a used car dealer. He put a dealer tag on it and let his son drive it around for about 2 years. Parked it after the clutch went out. That's when I bought it.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CTucker
Chad05TL thank you for your help! When the weather gets better I will trace the plug wires and see where they go. The plug itself was plugged into a connector under the driver seat. Right next to the yellow SRS plug. Only other thing I can think of that the plug could go to is the "seat position sensor". And I only think that because it is a 2 wire plug as well. Also I don't use the seat memory feature. So idk if it works and that's the only thing I could think of that would need a seat position sensor. I'm not sure what my 05 parts car was given a Certificate of destruction for. Guy I got it from was a used car dealer. He put a dealer tag on it and let his son drive it around for about 2 years. Parked it after the clutch went out. That's when I bought it.
Ya it is a seat position sensor. I unplugged mine and the airbag light came on. And I had to clear the DTC using my HDS. The light won't go out even if you reconnect it. The DTC was a seat position sensor Open / failure.
Also this matches the connector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33386447055...sAAOSw~mdgCQp4
CTucker (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Will '05 seats fit '07 TL Type S?