3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to jack 3G Garage #E-028

Old 08-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 998 Likes on 571 Posts
It was only 39 until you added your

If you can have a cupholder thread with 106 posts, and 5,031 views, as of this very second, then why not a thread on jacking with "only" 40 posts (41 now)?
Old 08-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Road Rage
40 posts on "jacking". This is not a good display of technical literacy. Of course I weighed in just to be a good sport.

I can foresee 40 posts on filling the fuel tank.
It was only 39 until you added your

If you can have a cupholder thread with 106 posts, and 5,031 views, as of this very second, then why not a thread on jacking with "only" 40 posts (41 now)?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Rage
40 posts on "jacking". This is not a good display of technical literacy. Of course I weighed in just to be a good sport.

I can foresee 40 posts on filling the fuel tank.
We actually had a thread about the fuel tank CAP which I believe was far longer than 40 posts. An idle mind is the devil's workshop, ya know.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Bathroom.

Mike
Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by Ron A
The hook is the place to be when you jack up the car. It is a towing hook, it is very strong, and it works well. The only thing you have to worry about is that the car doesn't slip off the jack and damage the tank, but with the proper jacking equipment, if the hook is firmly set in the saddle of the jack, it will work just fine.
I was wondering the same thing...
Lifting the car from the rear, if you place the jack saddle right on the hook, it doesn't seem like a stable point.
I like to rely on flat surfaces if I can.

is this the only strong surface ?

by the way, the body shop guy who repaired my car told me that surface where the hook is, is not the gas tank, he said the tank is deeper, I don't know.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

The hook is the only place to jack up the car at the rear end.

Do not worry that the hook only contacts the saddle in a small area. It is exactly in the center of the car and will not cause you any problems by jacking there.

Every floor jack I have ever seen had a cupped saddle, so there is no way the hook can slide out of the saddle while you are jacking. If you had something in the saddle, like a piece of wood to give more lift, then it is possible the hook could slip, but putting the hook directly onto the saddle is very safe.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

The hook is the only place to jack up the car at the rear end.

Do not worry that the hook only contacts the saddle in a small area. It is exactly in the center of the car and will not cause you any problems by jacking there.

Every floor jack I have ever seen had a cupped saddle, so there is no way the hook can slide out of the saddle while you are jacking. If you had something in the saddle, like a piece of wood to give more lift, then it is possible the hook could slip, but putting the hook directly onto the saddle is very safe.
thanks for the explanation, I feel better informed.
my problem now is that my jack barely reaches the hook,
and doesn't lift the car enough for me to remove the tires...

I guess I need to buy a bigger jack (with a longer neck),
as I don't want to start using wood pieces, etc.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do you put the jack stands, I usually just jack my car up at the beam from the side with a floor jack when changing oil.

where do you put the jack stands? not at the scissor jack points do u ? because wouldnt that bend the metal part?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually as silly as it seems, I found this thread to be very informative. I've read the manual and missed that completely, probably because I knew about the scissor jack points. When I put my splash guards on I jacked up each side separately cause I didn't what to screw anything up. Now I can just use my big floor jack from the days when I used to really work on cars.

Dave
Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JTL__ACURA
where do you put the jack stands, I usually just jack my car up at the beam from the side with a floor jack when changing oil.

where do you put the jack stands? not at the scissor jack points do u ? because wouldnt that bend the metal part?
That's exactly where you put the jack stands. You put one jack stand under each of the support points. See the picture in post #15. If you are only going to use two jack stands, then support either the front end or the rear end. I don't advise putting two jack stands on the same side of the car because the angle might bend the metal. But two stands on either the front supports or the rear supports won't be a problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Instructor

thank you Ron
Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Old 06-30-2006, 10:01 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for this thread guys...I looked and looked about a week ago for jack points in the manual AND in the service manual and couldnt easily locate them. I am going out to the lot NOW for a peek at those front and rear jack points....I only was aware of the four side ones...so thats what I have been using and your right Ron...you gotta be careful as all get out!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful using the front jack point

My TL slid off the jack and the jack ended up bending my raidator support. Thankfully I wasn't under the car at the time and I had jack stands in place.

I would not recommend using the front jack stand... If you must, please be extremely careful.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually...I got a set of ramps from Pep Boys for $23 or something....worked great!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kennyc
My TL slid off the jack and the jack ended up bending my raidator support. Thankfully I wasn't under the car at the time and I had jack stands in place.

I would not recommend using the front jack stand... If you must, please be extremely careful.

What angle (how high) were you jacking until it slid off? Did you have the rears blocked?

Anyone have an opinion on whether the front or rear should be jacked first? All 4 wheels are coming off to get winter tires put on.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tonywong
What angle (how high) were you jacking until it slid off? Did you have the rears blocked?

Anyone have an opinion on whether the front or rear should be jacked first? All 4 wheels are coming off to get winter tires put on.
If you use the correct jacking point in the front, which is underneath and in the middle, and be sure the saddle of the jack is correctly positioned, you should not have any problem. Be sure and set the emergency brake before you jack. This will keep the rear wheels from moving when you jack it up and later on when you lower it.

I always jack up the front first. I never thought about which end to do first, but it just seemed logical. Now that I think of it, you need to do the front first because if you raise the rear and put the stands under, the front may be too low to get the jack under. And that's the reason to do the front first.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you use the correct jacking point in the front, which is underneath and in the middle, and be sure the saddle of the jack is correctly positioned, you should not have any problem. Be sure and set the emergency brake before you jack. This will keep the rear wheels from moving when you jack it up and later on when you lower it.

I always jack up the front first. I never thought about which end to do first, but it just seemed logical. Now that I think of it, you need to do the front first because if you raise the rear and put the stands under, the front may be too low to get the jack under. And that's the reason to do the front first.

Yeah, I don't understand how the jack could slip off the front jack point if you position the saddle correctly. I rotate the saddle on my jack, so that the jack-point sits snuggly in the middle of the saddle. When I do this, the ridges on the saddle are actually higher then the edges of the jack-point, which means it would be impossible to slide off.

As for which side to jack first... Another reason to do the front first, is because if you raise the front first, the parking brake will keep the rears from moving. But if you raise the back first, there is nothing holding the front wheels. (Putting in park doesn't count, because the car will still move until the peg hits the gear-teeth)
Old 02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
my problem now is that my jack barely reaches the hook,
and doesn't lift the car enough for me to remove the tires...
anyone else have this problem??? any quick fixes for this???
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
anyone else have this problem??? any quick fixes for this???
i just posted a thread asking about this and Ron A kindly directed me to this thread which i had already read and is useless to answer this question. i think the answer is to buy an SUV floor jack which has a higher lift and is bigger, so it won't fit under the front but will lift the back high enough to take the wheels off and get the stands on.

i don't know where to jack the car using sturdy frame points and i'm afraid to guess where they are. it's not listed in any pic or diagram i have seen...i'd rather just shell out the money for a 2nd bigger floor jack.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by wasupdog
i just posted a thread asking about this and Ron A kindly directed me to this thread which i had already read and is useless to answer this question. i think the answer is to buy an SUV floor jack which has a higher lift and is bigger, so it won't fit under the front but will lift the back high enough to take the wheels off and get the stands on.

i don't know where to jack the car using sturdy frame points and i'm afraid to guess where they are. it's not listed in any pic or diagram i have seen...i'd rather just shell out the money for a 2nd bigger floor jack.
Wow thread revival, but I think I have your answer, If you jack the front first and use jack stands at a sufficient height it should angle the ass of the car down, making it possible for a small jack to pick it up. Then jack stand. Just remeber that you have to lower the rear first when finished.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hockey Puck

I use a hockey puck on my jack saddle. And I cut some slots in pucks to fit over my jack stands.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you guys...this has been GREAT information!!!! I didn't know anything about the jacking points in the front and rear!!!! I knew about the side ones, but I wanted to use jack stands. I feel a lot better about jacking my car...putting on my A-SPEC kit this weekend...If you don't know...ask someone...the life you save might be your our.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
2013 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Very helpful and informative thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info! I was looking on where to place the jack stands... Seems like the same place you uset he pne for spare tire
Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
Can anyone tell me where this diagram came from? Is this for all 3G or just some models/years.

I have a 2007 TL (non-S) and the owners manual only shows the jacking points behind the front tires and in front of the rear tires. There is no mention of the hydraulic lift points at the center front and rear of the car. I want to lift the car with hydraulic floor lift and then slide the jack stands under. If I lift at the side jacking points, I then can not slide the jack stands in.....too small for both.

I know that some people lift at the side points and use the subframe for jack stands. Just wondering how everyone else does this with hydraulic floor jack and jack stands.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
From my knowledge all 3G TL's have the front and rear jacking points. I use them often, you may need a piece of wood for the rear depending on your floor jacks max height.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
From my knowledge all 3G TL's have the front and rear jacking points. I use them often, you may need a piece of wood for the rear depending on your floor jacks max height.

Just never realized that you can jack from them since they are not in my manual. This will make work much easier.
Thanks