Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to jack 3G Garage #E-028

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to jack 3G Garage #E-028

Does the manual show or does the car show a safe place to place the floor jack to lift the car? On an old car I watched in horror as the qtr pannel buckled - and I was on the spot that said place jack here!

Just curious, wanna rip a tire off to check out my rust problem, if it is in manual feel free to flame away.

thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

yeah i believe the manuak does say where to jack the car up. i don't remember any car having a jack point at the quarter panel. it is usually right bhind the front wheel or in front of the rear wheel by the door. feel underneath the doors, there should be solid metal running underneath it.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In the manual, but since you asked.

It's covered in the manual.

If you look along the rocker panels you'll see arrows molded into them that point to the side lift points. They are long, narrow pieces of steel plate that are just behind the rockers. They hang down below everything else.

The rear lift point is the steel rod loop that you'll find in the center of the car behind the bumper cover.

The front lift point is in the center of the car, a raised square spot located at the front of the aluminum engine cradle. Be careful to correctly identify that spot, it's further back than you'd think.
The following users liked this post:
jfatteh (10-20-2014)
Old 06-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Just to clarify, the front and rear lift points kosh2258 is talking about are for hydraulic floor jacks, and the ones on the rocker panel are for the jack that comes with the car.

The ones on the rocker panel are described and shown on page 232 of the manual.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Ron A
Just to clarify, the front and rear lift points kosh2258 is talking about are for hydraulic floor jacks, and the ones on the rocker panel are for the jack that comes with the car.

The ones on the rocker panel are described and shown on page 232 of the manual.
So there is a spot under the front /center of the car to use my hydraulic jack?

That must have what I did on my old car - placed it under side behind front wheeel and I bet I caught part of the rocker and that made the qtr start to bend out.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:27 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You may want to search the site, I did post pics from the svc manual a few months back showing where to use floor jacks (and towing info too).

It is not in the owners manual.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by need4spd
You may want to search the site, I did post pics from the svc manual a few months back showing where to use floor jacks (and towing info too).
AWESOME - we'll do. had no idea that would have been discussed already.
thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did a search using the words floor jack and got this thread and one other. Could some one please find the pics. Or could some one send them to me. Thanks

dknippel@sammystudios.com
Old 06-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TBone2004
So there is a spot under the front /center of the car to use my hydraulic jack?

That must have what I did on my old car - placed it under side behind front wheeel and I bet I caught part of the rocker and that made the qtr start to bend out.
Yes, it's about 8" behind the lip of the spoiler, and it's shiny metal. There is a rectangular cutout in the spoiler for it, about 2" by 6" approximately, and it is definitely the place to put your hydraulic jack.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm unable to get need4spd's post.

Ron A, I have PM you the picture, could you point them out? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro

Floor jack.

You can use a floor jack on the side lift points if the jack has a flat lifting pad and you take care to be sure the jack is making contact only with those spots.

I have a low profile aluminum floor jack and I've lifted the vehicle from the side with no problems. But you do have to be careful.

The front and rear jack points are plenty sturdy.

I changed out the manual tranny oil with Red Line MTL about a month ago. To lift the car I put the front wheels on Rhino ramps and then used my 3.5 ton floor jack to lift the rear of the car up level using jack stands under the side rear jack points to support the rear of the car. It worked flawlessly.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Administrator

You might want to be careful how high you lift the car with a floor jack on the side of the car. The jacking points look very sturdy, but I have an Olds I tried that with, and when it got high enough the angle of the jacking point to the jack got wide enough that it bent the jacking point. It may not happen on these, but it is something I would look out for. The side jacking points are designed more for the jack that comes with the car, which lifts straight up, and doesn't have a very high lift capacity.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

You might want to be careful how high you lift the car with a floor jack on the side of the car. The jacking points look very sturdy, but I have an Olds I tried that with, and when it got high enough the angle of the jacking point to the jack got wide enough that it bent the jacking point. It may not happen on these, but it is something I would look out for. The side jacking points are designed more for the jack that comes with the car, which lifts straight up, and doesn't have a very high lift capacity.
cool Ron - I will go from front only then - just to be safe.
thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Donte99TL
I did a search using the words floor jack and got this thread and one other. Could some one please find the pics. Or could some one send them to me. Thanks
Donte, I sent them to you via e-mail, maybe you can host.

If not, I will be happy to e-mail any who request, just PM me your address.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks need4spd...

Old 06-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro

Common sense... such as it may be.

Using a floor jack to raise the vehicle from the side isn't any more, or any less, dangerous than using the scissors jack provided with the car assuming common sense is used and the vehicle isn't raised any higher than necessary to clear the tires from the ground.

I frequently use two floor jacks on one side to raise a vehicle to rotate directional tires from front to back, I just don't raise it any more than necessary to get the job done.

Keep in mind that there's as much inherent danger in someone getting the not so bright idea of jacking up both ends of the car at the same time without stabilizing one end or the other with jack stands before raising the other end. Or blocking the opposite wheels before raising a vehicle from either end.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kosh, I did just that over the weekend to put on my new wheels - no problems at all. The tabs on the side are obvious. they are painted silver on mine.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by 999999
kosh, I did just that over the weekend to put on my new wheels - no problems at all. The tabs on the side are obvious. they are painted silver on mine.
Did you leave it up on the floor jack or throw a jack stand under there somewhere?
I usually just leave it up on the floor jack - don't even own jack stands - what do you guys do?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I leave it on the jack, but I use at least 4 rocks under the other wheels to avoid any slippage.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Did you leave it up on the floor jack or throw a jack stand under there somewhere?
I usually just leave it up on the floor jack - don't even own jack stands - what do you guys do?
Bad idea. Hydraulic jacks have been known to collapse without warning. I can't emphasize strongly enough the need for jack stands. The $20 or so you spend on them may save you a lot of grief.

PLEASE USE JACK STANDS
Old 07-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Pro

Good advice.

PLEASE USE JACK STANDS
Agreed, 100%
Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

But wait - if I jack it up on the side - where do I put the jack stands then?
Is it best practice when changing a tire for example - to jack using the front center spot, and slip stands under the side jack points?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Administrator

But wait - if I jack it up on the side - where do I put the jack stands then?
Is it best practice when changing a tire for example - to jack using the front center spot, and slip stands under the side jack points?
Jacking from the side is primarily intended for changing a flat when you are on the road. You wouldn't use a jack stand because (1) you don't get the car very high (2) the jack is mechanical, not hydraulic, so unlikely to collapse, and (3) you won't be under the car if it does fall.

When using a floor jack at home, use the front or rear jacking points, not the side ones, and put the jack stands under the car at the jack supports. This could be for both changing oil or rotating tires. I usually rotate tires when I change my oil, so the car is already on the jack stands.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

To rotate tires front to back.....

Jack up either the front or back blocking the opposite wheels. Place jackstands on side jack points. Lower car. Repeat for opposite end. Now the car should essentially be on 4 jack stands. To lower the car reapeat the steps, jack up one end, take out jack stands and lower car. Repeat for other end. Does this sound right and safe?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dougpt10
Jack up either the front or back blocking the opposite wheels. Place jackstands on side jack points. Lower car. Repeat for opposite end. Now the car should essentially be on 4 jack stands. To lower the car reapeat the steps, jack up one end, take out jack stands and lower car. Repeat for other end. Does this sound right and safe?
Very safe and very right. Exactly what should be done.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

like I said - never used 'em before. Do you put them under both sides even if you are just pulling one tire? Or can the jack stand be used individually? For example, I have a rusted rotor/rim issue - I spoke of in old posts, I want to pull the bad tire and try to clean up rotor where bolts are - can I just jack up the front, place a jack stand on the side I want to remove - or do these stands require to be used in pair so as they don't shift etc?

I know - stupid questions, but I don't want to do something stupid from lack of experience with these things. Don't worry - I have lived this long cause I would never get under a car that was only on a floor jack - no way. Thats what my ramps are for.

Can these jacks be bought at PepBoys - anything to look for? Whats a good weight limit to look for? What are they like $50?

thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Instructor

ou can use one at a time just lower the jack slowly and watch the stand as you do it. Go to sears and buy their 2.5 ton jack and jack stand combo. You can usually find it on sale for $99. worth getting the good jack. Much easier and safer.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

tbone-if you are going to jack up the front, then both sides will be raised up and you can put a stand on each side. The car will be more stable when it is level. You could use only one stand, but why do that when it is just as easy to put a jack stand under the jacking points on each side of the car?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
like I said - never used 'em before. Do you put them under both sides even if you are just pulling one tire? Or can the jack stand be used individually? For example, I have a rusted rotor/rim issue - I spoke of in old posts, I want to pull the bad tire and try to clean up rotor where bolts are - can I just jack up the front, place a jack stand on the side I want to remove - or do these stands require to be used in pair so as they don't shift etc?

I know - stupid questions, but I don't want to do something stupid from lack of experience with these things. Don't worry - I have lived this long cause I would never get under a car that was only on a floor jack - no way. Thats what my ramps are for.

Can these jacks be bought at PepBoys - anything to look for? Whats a good weight limit to look for? What are they like $50?

thanks guys.
Rhino ramps are good for 6000 pounds as I recall. I bought a set and hated them - I much prefer the jack/jack stand approach.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Sounds liek a plan Ron. I will buy a pair of jacks stands - and like you said, much easier to just put them both under anyway otherwise she could get unstable as I lower it. I already have a 2.5 Ton jack (probably from sears) so I will go scout out some stands. Are they also rated/sold by the weight they can support?

Thanks.

tbone-if you are going to jack up the front, then both sides will be raised up and you can put a stand on each side. The car will be more stable when it is level. You could use only one stand, but why do that when it is just as easy to put a jack stand under the jacking points on each side of the car?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Sounds liek a plan Ron. I will buy a pair of jacks stands - and like you said, much easier to just put them both under anyway otherwise she could get unstable as I lower it. I already have a 2.5 Ton jack (probably from sears) so I will go scout out some stands. Are they also rated/sold by the weight they can support?

Thanks.
Yes, they usually have a rating on them. I would guess most stands sold today are capable of holding up a car or light truck, so just get one with a rating high enough for the TL. Two tons would be plenty. Remember, you are not holding up the entire car with the stand, just one end, and the TL probably weighs around 3,500 pounds, so that would be safe.

You can check out the various types. The most common one uses a pin to hold the shaft in place in the jack so you can adjust the height. Another type uses a ratchet type mechanism, which is easier to use but probably costs more. Since you will be using this mainly on the TL, and won't be changing the height too often, the pin type should work for you.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:04 PM
BobT

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
A floor jack on a cement floor with blocked wheels is very safe. I've been using one for more years than I will admit too with no problems. Remember to set the parking brake and put the transmission in park, or reverse if 6MT.

However ---- to keep from scratching the jack point paint and thus creating an opportunity for rust, place a piece of solid wood (oak?) between the floor jack spindle and the frame's jack point. This protects the paint and helps to spread the load.

If you ever need to get under the car while it is in the air you MUST use jack stands or drive it onto ramps. Anything else will hurt you – badly.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Team Anthracite Member

If it ain't on ramps - I ain't getting under it - no problem with that here!

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by bobt
A floor jack on a cement floor with blocked wheels is very safe. I've been using one for more years than I will admit too with no problems. Remember to set the parking brake and put the transmission in park, or reverse if 6MT.

However ---- to keep from scratching the jack point paint and thus creating an opportunity for rust, place a piece of solid wood (oak?) between the floor jack spindle and the frame's jack point. This protects the paint and helps to spread the load.

If you ever need to get under the car while it is in the air you MUST use jack stands or drive it onto ramps. Anything else will hurt you – badly.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Not a Blowhole

22 posts on jacking a car? - kinda funny - now it's 23.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Where ever you "JACK", just don't get "stuff" on your leather seats I couldn't help responding as this is the craziest thread I have seen on this board.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by batting_cleanup
Where ever you "JACK", just don't get "stuff" on your leather seats I couldn't help responding as this is the craziest thread I have seen on this board.
Stop the insanity! Ha ha, I may know a bit about automobile lubricants, but you appear to be the King of AstroGlide!

Here is the Rolls-Royce of jacks: A 3" minimum point, actually gets under the nose of the S2000 cleanly - Danish made. I bought one for myself for Christmas last year - also have one of those Harbor Freight aluminum jobs, and my jack stands use ProTech polyurethane covers to baby the jack popints, whichever ones you use.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...ge/DK13HLQ.gif
Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Has anyone ever lifted the car in the back? I was actually under there yesterday and where they have you jack the car in the back - looks like it is under the gas tank?? Is this true? I see a steel loop where it looks like I am to put the jack, but it also looked like I would be lifting under my gas tank too.

Anyone already do this - no probs?

Originally Posted by rets
Old 08-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Administrator

The hook is the place to be when you jack up the car. It is a towing hook, it is very strong, and it works well. The only thing you have to worry about is that the car doesn't slip off the jack and damage the tank, but with the proper jacking equipment, if the hook is firmly set in the saddle of the jack, it will work just fine.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

ok Ron. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Not a Blowhole

40 posts on "jacking". This is not a good display of technical literacy. Of course I weighed in just to be a good sport.

I can foresee 40 posts on filling the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: Where to jack 3G Garage #E-028