3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cars are people getting into after their TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
No doubt, man...
I'm assuming you priced it accordingly? Advertised it as rebuilt very obviously? I'm sure someone that is a mechanic or knows how to wrench would love to save the money on getting rebuilt
Yeah I clearly stated it's a rebuilt title and even purchased a Autocheck history (similar to carfax) so anyone who is interested can click the button to view the vehicle history for free (costed me $$ for that option).

I have the vehicle listed on Autotrader, craigslist, 5miles & Offerup

Maybe you can help me out?

I did a Autotrader search for all 2007-2008 Acura TL within a 50 mile radius of my zip code and according to AutoTrader the average price is $11,200.

I have my 08 TL listed for $7,800.

I know this is a subjective question but what sounds like a 'fair' price to you? Maybe $6,500?

It has factory navi + back-up camera and 98k miles. Would love to get rid of it before the 105k tune-up comes near !
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Probably German, although the wallet will surely suffer. Used 335i or B8 S4, although the Golf R is looking very interesting. That I could probably swing new, but even that's still $40k with the DCC.
Wow just looked at your sig and it's impressive. I have to ask are you just fully bolted and tuned? Any weight reduction or F/I?

The time and speed in your sig has got to be a record for a non F/I 3G TL.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Viet, I would keep the TL somewhat return to stock and retain as DD, the G does looks nice tho.

I already had fun with the Lexus now lol, even its not F or F sport but with $10k drop into it sure it will be balling. BTW I love how smooth the transition from straight line to corner on FR car vs FF.

Name:  4A0C490F-EC0A-4AC5-B2C9-5E44A277B2D1_zpsfh8mmzwa.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  143.4 KB

Last edited by truonghthe; 11-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.
vietxquangstah (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I actually think that's a fair price, although some people are dumping not greatly maintained ones for that with a normal title...I guess realistically, it's worth whatever someone would pay, but at the same time it might be worth it to you to keep the miles off your new baby.
vietxquangstah (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Viet, I would keep the TL somewhat return to stock and retain as DD, the G does looks nice tho.

I already had fun with the Lexus now lol, even its not F or F sport but with $10k drop into it sure it will be balling. BTW I love how smooth the transition from straight line to corner on FR car vs FF.
The TL is back to 100% stock now. It's been that way since June/July. I made sure to get my money back from all the mods I put into it. The only thing aftermarket on the TL is a Injen CAI which I'm too lazy to swap (I don't have the factory airbox) so I planned on selling the car with the intake.

I always liked that 2001-2005 IS300. It's a very small nimble car. I never drove one but I'm sure it handles nicely. I also agree with you about the way the handling feels upon turn-in on a RWD car compared to a FWD. Smooth is indeed correct

I actually think that's a fair price, although some people are dumping not greatly maintained ones for that with a normal title...I guess realistically, it's worth whatever someone would pay, but at the same time it might be worth it to you to keep the miles off your new baby.
Yeah I definitely learned my lesson with buying a rebuilt titled vehicle. I bought it with intentions on keeping it forever but that didn't seem to last. Having the TL as a daily is nice, however our house only has a 2-car driveway but yet we have 4 vehicles. We park 1 car in the street, 2 in the driveway, and 1 at a neighbors house. Ideally I would like to get rid of the TL to free up some parking space. 1 of our next door neighbors was kind enough to let us park our vehicle in their driveway.

They had a break in burglary. The poor lady works 2 jobs and doesn't get home til 10pm. She walked up to her door at night and realized it was unlocked and was left open and freaked out. Came over to my house crying and scared. Unaware if someone was still in there or not, I grabbed my flashlight and knife and got to play police and clear the house out.

Talk about a adrenaline rush. Inside the home was pitch black and quiet. Drawers and closets were pulled fully open and clothing/random papers were scattered everywhere. Turning the corners in the hallway and entering doorways to rooms was pretty intense. Didn't know if someone was hiding behind the door or standing around the corner. Luckily no one was there and the police showed up shortly afterwards.

Turns out they broke in through the back room. The back bedroom is faced towards a alley. They jumped the fence in the alley and went through the window. Oddly enough the room they broke into had a laptop sitting on the bed and a flat screen in the corner. Both of which were untouched.

Ever since than she let us park our car in her driveway to make it seem like someone is home since she's so busy working.

Wow I am just completely derailing this thread aren't I

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 11-22-2015 at 01:11 PM.
rockstar143 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
There's only one vehicle worthy enough to replace my 3G.

2016 RDX Elite. Nothing else matters.
06TLMatt (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

I'm stuck in an era and will do anything physically possible to stay in this particular era. What era would that be? The 6MT era.

I don't care about the lightning quickness of a DCT. I'm not tracking my DD, so what the hell does it matter. I also would hate to see the price to replace two clutches in one of those transmissions.

I don't care for CVTs because, well, they suck balls. All around suck balls.

I don't care for granny shifting autos. Even fast shifting autos. Holy snooze button. Holy lack of engagement. Better than a CVT, but still shitty.

I don't buy the complaint that driving a manual is soooo annoying in stop and go traffic. It's never bothered me once. Never. Across my last 5 cars. Not once. Nope. Nada.

And with that, nothing puts a bigger shit eating smile on my face than a 6MT. And I will continue buying them until they no longer are available. Yup, I'm okay with my cars over the next 50 years being from an age quickly passing by.
The following 3 users liked this post by TacoBello:
dap0901 (11-23-2015), Franchise1124 (11-23-2015), rockstar143 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
TL got totaled last month thanks to some drunken idiot on the freeway. I bought a new TLX 3 weeks ago
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60 View Post
Its black so its hard to see the lines! Its the Wald Kit!
Man that generation GS you got there is definitely a looker. To me anyways. It's very classy with a hint of sportyness. Nothing excessive and BAM IN YOUR FACE like the front end of the newer IS/RC (I love the way both of those cars look too)

I read your comment about the lip kit and looked at the pictures and thought to myself "I don't see a lip kit...." until I read your last sentance about the car being black and making it hard to notice. I can definitely relate to that. My TL was black and after owning a black car I promised myself that I would NEVER EVER own another black car ever again. It's so hard to see the body lines compared to a lighter colored car. Adding a a-spec lip kit on my TL made almost no difference. I don't think I would be too happy about dropping $5k on a lip kit that is hardly noticeable on my car because it's black.

That's the reason why I got a white G37S instead.

What color is your interior?

The interior is a cabernet color like a maroon red! Also by the next oil change in about 500 or so miles i may be looking at a RCF! those things are a beast and looks very mean!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm stuck in an era and will do anything physically possible to stay in this particular era. What era would that be? The 6MT era.

I don't care about the lightning quickness of a DCT. I'm not tracking my DD, so what the hell does it matter. I also would hate to see the price to replace two clutches in one of those transmissions.

I don't care for granny shifting autos. Even fast shifting autos. Holy snooze button. Holy lack of engagement. Better than a CVT, but still shitty.

I don't buy the complaint that driving a manual is soooo annoying in stop and go traffic. It's never bothered me once. Never. Across my last 5 cars. Not once. Nope. Nada.

And with that, nothing puts a bigger shit eating smile on my face than a 6MT. And I will continue buying them until they no longer are available. Yup, I'm okay with my cars over the next 50 years being from an age quickly passing by.
I prefer to drive than to be driven...6MT power!!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Realistically, if my car were totaled today and I had to look for something to replace it, coming from an 06 Base TL 5AT , I would consider 2008ish GS 300's, or 2007+ G37 Coupe. I don't need the space of a sedan, and I've always loved the way the Infiniti coupes look.

If I were going for a new car, on a budget, it would be between 16' ILX w/A-Spec and a 16' Sonata Limited. Say what you want about Hyundai, but the new Sonata's look great.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
The TL is back to 100% stock now. It's been that way since June/July. I made sure to get my money back from all the mods I put into it. The only thing aftermarket on the TL is a Injen CAI which I'm too lazy to swap (I don't have the factory airbox) so I planned on selling the car with the intake.

I always liked that 2001-2005 IS300. It's a very small nimble car. I never drove one but I'm sure it handles nicely. I also agree with you about the way the handling feels upon turn-in on a RWD car compared to a FWD. Smooth is indeed correct

Yeah I definitely learned my lesson with buying a rebuilt titled vehicle. I bought it with intentions on keeping it forever but that didn't seem to last. Having the TL as a daily is nice, however our house only has a 2-car driveway but yet we have 4 vehicles. We park 1 car in the street, 2 in the driveway, and 1 at a neighbors house. Ideally I would like to get rid of the TL to free up some parking space. 1 of our next door neighbors was kind enough to let us park our vehicle in their driveway.

They had a break in burglary. The poor lady works 2 jobs and doesn't get home til 10pm. She walked up to her door at night and realized it was unlocked and was left open and freaked out. Came over to my house crying and scared. Unaware if someone was still in there or not, I grabbed my flashlight and knife and got to play police and clear the house out.

Talk about a adrenaline rush. Inside the home was pitch black and quiet. Drawers and closets were pulled fully open and clothing/random papers were scattered everywhere. Turning the corners in the hallway and entering doorways to rooms was pretty intense. Didn't know if someone was hiding behind the door or standing around the corner. Luckily no one was there and the police showed up shortly afterwards.

Turns out they broke in through the back room. The back bedroom is faced towards a alley. They jumped the fence in the alley and went through the window. Oddly enough the room they broke into had a laptop sitting on the bed and a flat screen in the corner. Both of which were untouched.

Ever since than she let us park our car in her driveway to make it seem like someone is home since she's so busy working.

Wow I am just completely derailing this thread aren't I
You live in Texass and don't have a burner!?!

nothing puts a bigger shit eating smile in my face

you eat pieces of shit for breakfast!??

but yeah, with the exception of my 1st vehicle for 6 months and a truck I had for a month, I've never driven anything but manual in 21 years of driving
TacoBello (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts

Alberta traffic though. :')
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
some great options here...

I have a co-worker that traded his SE-R Altima 6MT for a 2012 GS350 and tells me he thoroughly regrets it.

I guess, as usual...we all want what we don't have, be it versatility, space, mpg, speed, awd, fun to drive...

again, for me, the 3G scratches almost all those itches a LITTLE bit...
He didn't didn't get a 13+... that's why

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
Well i did cut back on the modding, the GS right only has cosmetics (lip kit, spoiler/roof spoiler. Maybe wheels but the F-sport wheels already look good. As for the old TL it was fun because i decked it all out and it was fun to drive. Exhaust, intake, drop, wheels, aspec kit, lights etc and it was a lot cheaper to mod compared to the GS parts. The lip kit on my GS is about 5000 and that is with the roof and rear spoiler and not counting the rear apron! I do love the GS because people compliment it all the time! As for the leg room...it is bigger compared to the TL and i switched because AWD and drives in the snow like a champ!

Here are some pics of the GS so far:

Its black so its hard to see the lines! Its the Wald Kit!

And sorry to thread jack!
Yeah the WALD looks nice. Good job.
I'd probably just do the Tanabes and some wheels. Keep it simple.
I really need AWD and a little more room for 2 car seats.
Really don't want an SUV
Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
I would avoid the AWD, G37xS, unless you truly need AWD for winter. The reason being is because the "sport" package for the AWD models is a gimmick. It is all cosmetic. There is no real "sport" enhancing upgrades compared to the RWD "sport" package.

In the RWD "sport" model you get
- Sport Tuned Suspension
- Sport Tuned Steering gear ratio
- Viscous Limited-Slip Differential
- Akebono Big Brake Kit with larger rotors. 4 Piston front, 2 piston rear calipers.

In the AWD "sport" you don't get anything listed above. Instead you get everything else that is also included in the RWD "Sport package"
- Sport front seats
- Paddle Shifters
- Sport Pedals
- Sport front bumper
- Sport wheels
Good point! Looks like I wasn't aware of the x designation and indeed the AWD version (which I wouldn't really need) with the Sport package is truly gimmicky, bleh!

Will definitely go for the G37s then LSD with the big brakes and suspension and whatnot sounds great.

It'll be a tough choice between that and a 3G TL-S!

There's only one vehicle worthy enough to replace my 3G.

2016 RDX Elite. Nothing else matters.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nist7
Good point! Looks like I wasn't aware of the x designation and indeed the AWD version (which I wouldn't really need) with the Sport package is truly gimmicky, bleh!

Will definitely go for the G37s then LSD with the big brakes and suspension and whatnot sounds great.

It'll be a tough choice between that and a 3G TL-S!

Drive the TL-S than get into the G37S.

I'm willing to bet you'll go home with the keys to the G.

The VQ37VHR motor is no joke. 1st and 2nd gear comes so fast thanks to the short gearing.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Man that G37S in white with the lip kit is

Several of my friends have owned G35s and have loved them, and I love the styling of the G37 specifically, so one might be in the cards in the future when I tire of dropping ludicrous amounts of money on the TL - I'd buy a coupe though, the 4 door Gs don't really do anything for me
Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by polobunny
Alberta traffic though. :')
You HAD to remind me

Luckily, if I drive fast enough...

The VQ37VHR motor is no joke. 1st and 2nd gear comes so fast thanks to the short gearing.
Yeah, but no VTAAAAK!!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Suzuka Master

its more because of the TQ. I drove couple 07+ G35 before and yes they are faster in straight line than my Type S for SURE..
Old 11-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Nice. How's the maintenance/repair cost on those Audis? Always hear about the night mare german car maintenance costs...
It is a nightmare
Oh Sickest TL (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts

VQ motors in general are pretty sweet. I drove an FX37 with that same motor & its amazing. Even my old Maxima which had the VQ35 was pretty darn impressive for the money. I've heard of 5th Gen Maxima's with 6MT's keeping up with TL-S with a couple of bolt-on's
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM

hey, 1st and 2nd that cum so quickly...sign me up!
I'll just make sure to keep a coupla quarts in the trunk for the burnt oil

And I know for a fact that I wouldn't go home in anything but the TL and not for any God or gift like reasons...only because it has the edge over everything because it's paid off!

It's a curse, kinda because when I consider another car...going from $0 per month to $600 is insane to me...whereas going from $450 to 600, I could probably stomach.
TacoBello (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Pro

I'll just make sure to keep a coupla quarts in the trunk for the burnt oil .
LOL, so you know about that plagued issue of the VQ. Never knew VQ37's burned oil too

^ This is totally why I went for the 3G TL-S for the peace of mind plus its pretty cheap to maintain engine-wise
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 AM

Well, I'd heard about it...and my buddy with the SE-R altima used to bitch about it constantly, it's probably been resolved in the newer iterations though...
I do remember when the 350 first came out, there was this whole segment on how it wouldn't hold an alignment and would eat through tires and the owners of the cars were pissed etc...

In my mind:
Toyota for Gas mileage
Nissan for Power
Honda for Reliability

I'm just another asshole on the web.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
My TL was my first "import" and only V6 car I've had, decided I wanted an SUV and a V8 again.

So I bought this

Name:  20151110_083927_zpsx8gyqd0r.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  313.3 KB
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Pro

Well, I'd heard about it...and my buddy with the SE-R altima used to bitch about it constantly, it's probably been resolved in the newer iterations though...
I do remember when the 350 first came out, there was this whole segment on how it wouldn't hold an alignment and would eat through tires and the owners of the cars were pissed etc...

In my mind:
Toyota for Gas mileage
Nissan for Powe
Honda for Reliability

I'm just another asshole on the web.
SE-R Altima's had the same exact issues as the 5th Gen Maxima's, probably the same exact version of the VQ35. Oil burning and timing chain issues. Not to mention pre-cats that would break up inside and kill the engine....

The refresh 350's didn't get any better as those one started to consume tons of oil in the HR motor...

I think you're pretty on the money with associating the brands, Nissan was good pre-Renault era in terms of reliability though, all went downhill after.

I don't think I'd ever own a newer Toyota, too boring
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM

SRT?
That's fuckin baller...ain't nobody hatin on murrica displacement!
350 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 AM

but I do kick myself in the ass for ever selling my 1987 Toyota Corolla though...RWD, Carburated...needed brakes, traded in with the help of my Grandpa for a 1991 Civic Hatch...and then my Honda love affair began. Plus, my Mother had cool hondas since I was a kid too.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
SRT?
That's fuckin baller...ain't nobody hatin on murrica displacement!
Nah just RT, there were rumors of them making a Durango SRT but not gonna happen since it's getting turned into a Jeep next year. Other than the engine and design it's not even that 'murica. It's more German underneath, the platform is from the DaimlerChrysler days and it's got a ZF 8 speed. Not as quick as my old Trailblazer SS but rides a hell of a lot better and the engine noise is addictive.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Pro

I definitely want to own something V8 & 'murican at some point in my life, Terminator Cobra maybe?!?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM

I'll settle for a GT350 2016...

350...update your avatar, we'll still love you! Either way, power and comfort...you're winning.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
hey, 1st and 2nd that cum so quickly...sign me up!
I'll just make sure to keep a coupla quarts in the trunk for the burnt oil
yup
my 2002 Maxima 6spd burned through the oil, like i burn through beer

nissan is nice, and make fun cars... but i'll never buy another
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 350
My TL was my first "import" and only V6 car I've had, decided I wanted an SUV and a V8 again.

So I bought this

Great looking car. I rented one before and maan this car is awesome
Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kocyk123
It is a nightmare

I was interested in the S4 with 4.3 V8 motor until I heard about when timing chain tensioner goes bad, about $10k of bills.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 96SC4
yup
my 2002 Maxima 6spd burned through the oil, like i burn through beer

nissan is nice, and make fun cars... but i'll never buy another
How long ago did you get rid of yours?

I second that, I'll probably never buy another Nissan again, but perhaps Infiniti I might
Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts

Yeah I can see that. Only issue is the cost for a newer G37 seem to run in the 20-25k range. Whereas TL-S can be had for 15k or so. Depends on when I need to replace my current TL. If very soon then I'll likely get another TL but if its in a later year where my career is more financially lucrative...then likely splurge for some more power!

Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
Man that G37S in white with the lip kit is

Several of my friends have owned G35s and have loved them, and I love the styling of the G37 specifically, so one might be in the cards in the future when I tire of dropping ludicrous amounts of money on the TL - I'd buy a coupe though, the 4 door Gs don't really do anything for me
I'm the opposite. I really don't enjoy the lines/look of the G coupes. I Always preferred the 4-door. meh diff boats for diff folks. At least we wont be competing for the same car!

It is a nightmare
lol, noted.

I was looking at a B6 S4 last year before I decided on the 3G TL and it was great deal at 10k....but I was reading up on the timing chain tensioner service and how much that would cost on audizine and quickly noped out of that car....

Originally Posted by mtiaz
I definitely want to own something V8 & 'murican at some point in my life, Terminator Cobra maybe?!?
I've got that same itch as well. Been doing some ebay-window shopping on various V8 muscles: C5 Z06, 04-06 GTO, 1st gen CTS-V, Terminator, Coyote Mustang

I was interested in the S4 with 4.3 V8 motor until I heard about when timing chain tensioner goes bad, about $10k of bills.
Yup. I was looking at a B6 S4 locally that was advertised at 10k (340hp, AWD, V8, 4 doors.....insane value) but was looking up audizine and read about the stupidly expensive timing chain tensioner service where you need to drop the motor and the parts are like 2-3k alone.....so noped out of that care real quick.

But if I win the lotto I may go for a B7 S4 though....sick looking car
Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Racer

It gets pricey but if you buy it with a good service history and all the major work and recommended maintenance was done than it should not be too bad. The timing chain service is expensive but it all depends where you take it to. I found a place where they will do it for $3800 including OEM timing chain kit and other parts required. FSI engines also need carbon buildup cleaning every 60 70k miles. What is nice about my A6 is that it has same engine as some of the V8 S4's So far it is the most powerful car I ever drove except lamborghini gallardo. Within 3 weeks of ownership I already spent almost 1k with maintenance and there is more to come... LoL but I freaking love the car!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Pro

Haha, before I heard of the timing chain problems of the 4.2's in the B6/B7 S4's I always thought I would get my hands on a B6 Audi S4 Avant with a 6spd. That was my dream car for a good while until I learned about what is like to actually own one....
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mtiaz
Haha, before I heard of the timing chain problems of the 4.2's in the B6/B7 S4's I always thought I would get my hands on a B6 Audi S4 Avant with a 6spd. That was my dream car for a good while until I learned about what is like to actually own one....
True that. I always wanted 2007 - 08 Audi A8L but maintenance is just too much. I bought A6 with same motor as A8 but I don't have to deal with air suspension and other expensive stuff. I call my car a mini A8 lol
Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Pro

True that. I always wanted 2007 - 08 Audi A8L but maintenance is just too much. I bought A6 with same motor as A8 but I don't have to deal with air suspension and other expensive stuff. I call my car a mini A8 lol
I still remember this one old lady who brought her broken A6 4.2 actually decided to get the engine replaced at the dealer since it just shit the bed & I think the bill was a little under $14,000 but I wasn't sure if she had the extended warranty or not... Most expensive bill I saw was an RS7 getting a new engine and other bits where the bill came out to be almost $30,000, luckily it was covered by warranty...

Quick Reply: What cars are people getting into after their TL?