3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very interesting conversation with my transmission builder on the TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I didn't have the problem with my 04 and so far not with my 08, but it is great info nonetheless. As common as this problem seems to be, perhaps the mods could make this post a sticky in the "problems and fixes" sub-category.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well this fix is still just a theory at this point as there is no hard proof that replacing those sensors will in fact prolong transmission life.

What confuses me is, if this will in fact fix the problems people have with the AT, why did it take this long to figure this out? The 3G has been out for over 5 years now, and even the later model 2G has the same or very similar auto tranny. I find it very difficult to believe that not a single mechanic realized this until just now.

In any case, I probably won't do this for $140 because I'm thinking of trading in my 5AT TL for a 6MT one in the next few months.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:45 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well... I think this is def worth a try. I have an 05 TL with 83k on the clock and 3rd gear seems to have this weird vibration when trying to shift (at below 3k RPMS). it does not slip... almost like it does not know what to do. If I step on the gas though...and it shifts at 3k....its smooth. Sensors may just help

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elegant type s
yeah he thinks all of us knows what he's talking about half the time meanwhile i always have a google page open when i'm reading his posts.. Haha. What... Give the tranny an ace inhibitor?
lol
Old 04-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I hate cars, do the switch's fail becuase of being gummed up with stuff or is it just simply like a computer, once it gets old it starts slowing down?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I hate cars, do the switch's fail becuase of being gummed up with stuff or is it just simply like a computer, once it gets old it starts slowing down?
What he said is that it starts slowing down and of course instead of failing on the high line pressure/hard shift side, it fails on the low line pressure/slip side. The ones that he showed me that had failed looked extremely clean.

The way it was explained to me is these sensors were added to achieve soft shifts. They monitor many times a second how long it takes for one clutch pack to release (in miliseconds) and how long it takes for the one that's coming on to apply. The goal is to have one clutch pack applying right as the other one is releasing for a soft shift. Line pressure is based off of these inputs as well as shift timing.

When you experience shudder, that is a clutch pack slipping when it's not supposed to. It takes very little slipping to burn one up. It's not like a manual where it's made to slip. Just a second or two is all it takes to ruin an automatic clutch pack. If anyone is experiencing shudder, you should not drive the car until you replace the sensors.

When you ride in a performance car and you notice the firm shifts, that's not to make it faster, it's to make the transmission live longer.
The following 4 users liked this post by I hate cars:
dipkat (05-23-2019), DuoDSG (10-24-2014), JC06TL (11-10-2019), Randman (02-20-2013)
Old 04-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
in
Old 04-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I hate cars
What he said is that it starts slowing down and of course instead of failing on the high line pressure/hard shift side, it fails on the low line pressure/slip side. The ones that he showed me that had failed looked extremely clean.

The way it was explained to me is these sensors were added to achieve soft shifts. They monitor many times a second how long it takes for one clutch pack to release (in miliseconds) and how long it takes for the one that's coming on to apply. The goal is to have one clutch pack applying right as the other one is releasing for a soft shift. Line pressure is based off of these inputs as well as shift timing.

When you experience shudder, that is a clutch pack slipping when it's not supposed to. It takes very little slipping to burn one up. It's not like a manual where it's made to slip. Just a second or two is all it takes to ruin an automatic clutch pack. If anyone is experiencing shudder, you should not drive the car until you replace the sensors.

When you ride in a performance car and you notice the firm shifts, that's not to make it faster, it's to make the transmission live longer.
Is there any way to "alter" these switches to have a firmer shift?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just curious, if this is the fix and it cost less than $200.00; why has Honda been replacing automatic transmissions for over five years?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MR1
Just curious, if this is the fix and it cost less than $200.00; why has Honda been replacing automatic transmissions for over five years?
it isn't a fix, but more of a precautionary thing. Once the switches cause slipping, the damage is done...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
TEAM INFIDEL!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gonna get mine ordered tomorow. Make sure when your ordering this there is a little o-ring/gasket #17 . Not sure if ya wanna reuse old. Get new just to be safe.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
subscribing to the thread. i dont have any problems on mine (in fact just did a drain/refill yesterday) but if in case something comes up, ill know where to look.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
it isn't a fix, but more of a precautionary thing. Once the switches cause slipping, the damage is done...
Its actually predictive maintenance. For the price and the peace of mind it can give I'd do it, but I have a 6MT.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
6th Gear

Question

Just purchased a certified used 2008 tl. Noticed it shifts a little abruptly (not smooth like my 96 Camry). This thread makes it sound like these sensors might be the problem. Is there a test to determine if these are indeed at fault or do you just buy new sensors and see if replacement is the cure? Alternatively, wait for failure and have Acura replace/repair the transmission under warranty?!!!! Any insight appreciated.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by warren4066
this sounds like an fun and easy DIY....but I need a video....very nice i hate cars
I agree and second the video...
Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
The theme seems to be going downhill.. as stated the changing out of the pressure switch is preventative maintenance.

A little background on pressure switches. Given an input in fluid pressure the switch will cycle (open / close) based on the input pressure, typically a range. I think the physical operation is similar to a capacitor. The switch is normally open and as pressure increases the effective distance between the charge layers decreases which will eventually allow charge flow between the layers (switch closed).

The MTBF of pressure switches varies but I think the standard lifetime is 10+ years of continuous operation at a given temperature (typically 25-55C). As temperature increases the lifetime of the switch drastically reduces. So the more heat the switches are exposed to the faster they will wear out which will start leading to damage. Although the MTBF is usually specified in hours of use it is more purely based on cycle lifetime, how many times the switch cycles on / off. You relate the cycling to gear shifting 2nd-3rd, 4th-3rd as hydraulic pressure fluctuates between 3rd gear. So if you shift between gears more than 'typical' operation.. the faster the switch lifetime will reduce.. constantly fluctuating between gears is also related to fluid wear and heat which further reduces the switch lifetime.

So I think a conservative recommendation for replacing the pressure switches would be 50k miles if you drive mostly city or often commute through traffic. Also if you don't change your ATF in consistent recommended intervals I would probably change the switches every 50k miles as well. I would also sell the switches.. at 50k miles they should have a lot of life on them so you might be able to get some money back.. if I can sell my tires with 20% tread on them.. I'm sure many of you can get some money back on the pressure switches.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldscot44
Just purchased a certified used 2008 tl. Noticed it shifts a little abruptly (not smooth like my 96 Camry). This thread makes it sound like these sensors might be the problem. Is there a test to determine if these are indeed at fault or do you just buy new sensors and see if replacement is the cure? Alternatively, wait for failure and have Acura replace/repair the transmission under warranty?!!!! Any insight appreciated.
"abruptly" as in a hard shift is probably not an issue. If it's slipping / holding the gear to 4-5k RPM then abruptly shifting down would be an issue. With any used car purchase no matter the age.. get all the fluids changed or make sure you known when the last fluid changes were.. get a tech and take a ride if you still feel uneasy.. I had two Camry's of that gen.. and I can tell you the shift quality is day & night.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ Some good info up there....

And it is true, that if you are already feeling some slippage like you state, that this change of switches will not fix it as the damage has already been done
Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 AM
2008 335i e92 6MT

just wanna make sure, shudder/slipping is when you see the rpms hold? i have a 07 TL and just hit 19k miles today, i'm sure my tranny fluid and other fluids shouldn't be anywhere close to needing changing but i just wanna have an idea of what signs to expect in case my tranny does start to go x_X
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
just wanna make sure, shudder/slipping is when you see the rpms hold? i have a 07 TL and just hit 19k miles today, i'm sure my tranny fluid and other fluids shouldn't be anywhere close to needing changing but i just wanna have an idea of what signs to expect in case my tranny does start to go x_X
I'm subscribed to some of your post and it seems like you drive your TL pretty hard. I change my ATF (3x3) every 15k miles. It's cheap & easy.. I suggest you do the same if you expect to get the most life out of your transmission.

You'll first notice the transmission slipping.. as damage starts to occur you'll notice it shudder as it's holding gear.. I suggest when you change out your ATF. Take a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs.. the analysis will tell you the real story. Look for aluminum, iron & copper content.. that'll let you know what kind of wear your ATF has been through and what components are seeing the most wear. Also check the analysis numbers for change in physical properties.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
dipkat (05-23-2019), paperboy42190 (03-08-2013)
Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This makes sense and sounds like a great idea. I'm always concerned about the A/T. My tranny occasionally has a slight shudder and hold onto (I think - can't remember) third gear. Usually it's fine, though. I had the dealer change the fluid a few months ago, maybe 5-7K miles ago. I may go ahead and do the sensor swap out.

Does anyone know whether you lose fluid when the sensors are removed? Will a fluid change be in order at the same time? Just trying to be prepared and know what to expect. Thanks.

And thank to Ihatecars for the info. I love this forum.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
This makes sense and sounds like a great idea. I'm always concerned about the A/T. My tranny occasionally has a slight shudder and hold onto (I think - can't remember) third gear. Usually it's fine, though. I had the dealer change the fluid a few months ago, maybe 5-7K miles ago. I may go ahead and do the sensor swap out.

Does anyone know whether you lose fluid when the sensors are removed? Will a fluid change be in order at the same time? Just trying to be prepared and know what to expect. Thanks.

And thank to Ihatecars for the info. I love this forum.
Just a little fluid lost. Probably won't have to add any. If you've ever had shudder, it's time to replace these things. It doesn't take a lot to burn it up.

Remember, these are the pressure sensors, not switches.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
Trust me, there is a lot of stuff on our car that could last longer, a whole lot longer, but do dealers, shops want that too happen?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Just a little fluid lost. Probably won't have to add any. If you've ever had shudder, it's time to replace these things. It doesn't take a lot to burn it up.

Remember, these are the pressure sensors, not switches.
I believe they're the same thing / interchangeable description. The pressure switch senses changes in pressure but operates as a switch. It's a closed circuit and should feedback to the ECU. Let me know if your transmission guy meant a different component.

Yeah.. it doesn't take long for transmission to take a dump. They're rugged until it starts to fail.. once it starts it's a steep downhill from there.. not too much you can do to stop it either.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Racer

3g Trans issues

I talked to a local acura dealer mechanic and he stated that the 3g tanny's are very good now. Shouldn't have any problems with them and you shouldn't have the need to replace the 3/4 pressure sensors...but he did mention that the 2g tl's had lots of tranny problems....

From a scale of 1-10 and 1 being the lowest how many 3g owners have had issues with their trannies?

Last edited by warren4066; 04-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 PM

From a scale of 1-10 and 1 being the lowest how many 3g owners have had issues with their trannies?
.. I'm going on 4-5k on my REMAN tranny.. went out around 87k miles.. I was the 2nd / 3rd owner unfortunately.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I talked to a local acura dealer mechanic and he stated that the 3g tanny's are very good now. Shouldn't have any problems with them and you shouldn't have the need to replace the 3/4 pressure sensors...but he did mention that the 2g tl's had lots of tranny problems....

i checked with my local dealer too. noone so far has brought in a 3G with the tranny issue, but he has a few 2Gs with 3 tranny issues.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Instructor

how come only 3/4 sensors?
Mine doesn't seem to be 100% smooth when going from 1st to 2nd, doesn't seem like a problem, but it isn't always smooth.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

^ can these sensors be replaced on my 1997 tl 2.5 ? trans just hit 202k and it shifts kinda rough, even after trans drain and fills.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscribed

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I just got one of those "new" transmissions in my 02 CLS last sept 10K later it acts just like the old one..........
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
TEAM INFIDEL!

I will pickin my switches/sensors up from dealer tommorow, bout 77.00$ for all. I may not need it but i would rather do it and be safe...kinda like insurance huh.....? Just to make sure they were #12 and 13 and #17 for o ring/gasket correct?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 05 TL has 86k miles.. I definitely should do it soon... This doesn't sound like a bad investment at all...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Guys... just as an FYI the service manual has a whole process for this and call for measuring the resistance of the shift solenoid sensors. Might be a good place to check as well for a good walk through. According to Honda they call say the standard is 12-25 ohms anything out of stand is to be replaced...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Thanks for the thread.

Not gonna do anything for now since it shifts good enough, no stutter or anything but one the 7yr/100k warranty is up, I'm just going to replace the sensors for the hell of it. Our 2G isn't even at 50k yet last time I drove it but it seems like a good idea....

Maybe someone can correlate the frequency of transmission failures of cars < 50k and >50k miles. It seems to make sense, I'm not sure if Acura replaces the pressure sensors when they drop out a bad tranny and put in a new one, but it could connect the dots regarding why remanned trannies can crap out afterwards, despite being "improved"
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Camaros handle like shit, proof here: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/z28vs911.html

I just wasted 5 minutes reading this dumb blog.. lol.. did you have an argument with somebody?

btw.. I think the pressure sensors / switches are like a heart problem.. unless you replace them right away when they start going out.. they'll do irreparable damage. I'm sure the service shop won't touch them unless the ECU says there's a problem.. but then it could be too late. Good obs on the reman.. I guess I'll replace mine too..

Last edited by Majofo; 04-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by skads_187
how come only 3/4 sensors?
Mine doesn't seem to be 100% smooth when going from 1st to 2nd, doesn't seem like a problem, but it isn't always smooth.
Could be a crap in the valve body. I would try either running a solvent and then doing a refill or putting in a detergent to try and clean up the valve body.. run it for 1k miles or so and do a refill. There's definite pros & cons to each..
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jnc2000
Guys... just as an FYI the service manual has a whole process for this and call for measuring the resistance of the shift solenoid sensors. Might be a good place to check as well for a good walk through. According to Honda they call say the standard is 12-25 ohms anything out of stand is to be replaced...
But resistance will change dramatically with heat and also with vibration if there's an open.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Thanks for the thread.

Not gonna do anything for now since it shifts good enough, no stutter or anything but one the 7yr/100k warranty is up, I'm just going to replace the sensors for the hell of it. Our 2G isn't even at 50k yet last time I drove it but it seems like a good idea....

Maybe someone can correlate the frequency of transmission failures of cars < 50k and >50k miles. It seems to make sense, I'm not sure if Acura replaces the pressure sensors when they drop out a bad tranny and put in a new one, but it could connect the dots regarding why remanned trannies can crap out afterwards, despite being "improved"
And I think further proof is some of the supercharged ones lasting over 100,000 miles and people like Michael Benz who regularly auto-x their supercharged auto TL with no failures yet some of the bone stock ones fail at a lower mileage.

I'll take pictures of the clutch packs next time I'm over there and it will show to any of you who have been inside a trans before that it's not a clutch holding issue.

One thing the builder did say is that when a Honda trans comes in for a rebuild they don't reuse and recondition the steels like they do in nearly every other trans. The Honda ones have a very specific and critical cross hatch pattern that they can't reproduce in the shop.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone explain what's special about 3rd gear?

Quick Reply: Very interesting conversation with my transmission builder on the TL