3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help

Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spMike
So if they haven't 'taken responsibility' by then, how are you going to take it back with no wheels?
I have my stocks that i will take down there.. the service rep found a set of tires to put on the car so they could get it on the lift and do the tranny swap... Ill take the stocks there when i pick up the car and make them put it on the car..
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
I live in a pretty secure neighborhood and for work, I park in a secure garage so I am not too worried... Had them before and they didn't get stolen until they went to the damn dealer...
That's why I always put my stock rims back on the car before I go to the dealer... Tho, not because I fear them getting stolen... I fear the dealer fscking up the rims by scraping them on a curb....
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by avs007
That's why I always put my stock rims back on the car before I go to the dealer... Tho, not because I fear them getting stolen... I fear the dealer fscking up the rims by scraping them on a curb....
Good idea... just apain in the ass to swap them out... but it would have been a much less pain in the ass than what I am doing now...

Lesson learned...
Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Wonderful.

Here's the problem with the general public. i'll give a real world example.

Hello, i'd like a large Mc Coffee please
Ok Sir, that's $2, please pull up to the window
Here's your change, and your coffee
Ok Thanks!
Hmm.. this is hot..
OH MY GOD I SPILLED IT ON MYSELF
Hello McDonalds, i'm sueing you because i'm a fucking douche and didn't think the HOT coffee was THAT HOT so I need money now.
I like when people bring McDonalds coffee up... I actually studied this case in college.....

Most all restaurants serve coffee at 160 degrees F. McDonalds Coffee is served at 195 degrees F. McDonalds admitted that the coffee is kept this hot so that they don't have to brew extra coffee, because it will stay fresher longer. So basically they assigned higher priority to their bottom line, than customer's safety....

Now go to a burn clinic... Ask what types of burnes are common with liquid spills. The vast majority of liquid spills result in 1st degree burns.... Occasionally they result in 2nd degree burns... The lady that spilled the coffee on herself, received THIRD DEGREE burns... A third degree burn is when ALL LAYERS OF SKIN IS KILLED, which means you need SURGERY. Most burn clinics will tell you that 3rd degree burns are more common with open flame burns.

Nobody expects to have to undergo surgery as a result of spilling coffee on yourself... THAT is why this lady sued, and THAT is why she won.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Good idea... just apain in the ass to swap them out... but it would have been a much less pain in the ass than what I am doing now...

Lesson learned...
That's why (among other things) I have an air assisted hydraulic jack, and a variety of air tools, tlo go along with my tank/compressor....

I just connect the hose to my jack... push button.. pst pst pst, car raises up... Slide in jack stands.... Repeat for rear..... Bzzzzt Bzzzzt Bzzzzt, remove tires.... etc, etc...

Did I mention that I love my air tools?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Classic Inside JOB!!!

Lady's and Gent's, what we have here is a classic Inside-Job. Seems like they knew when, where , and how to jack your wheels. No forced entry, car was not locked, car was not parked inside; many Acura dealers park cars with custom wheels inside all the time. You should try researching previous robberies from that dealership.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nhousepro
Lady's and Gent's, what we have here is a classic Inside-Job. Seems like they knew when, where , and how to jack your wheels. No forced entry, car was not locked, car was not parked inside; many Acura dealers park cars with custom wheels inside all the time. You should try researching previous robberies from that dealership.
I would have to agree, I would look into what the theft rate is at this particular dealer. Just to see if this occurring on a regular basis.

Glad to hear that they are at least getting you up and rolling again, but it is quite shitty of them to treat you the way they have. Having worked in retail as an installer for 9 years prior to graduating college, we took full responsibility for a vehicle when a customer would leave it with us. If it was staying the night, it had to be locked inside. Over the years I was there, we had to replace lights in the dash because a customer would state that it was not out when they brought it in, and we only put speakers in the car, never took the dash apart. It was about customer service, something this dealer knows nothing of!!

Good luck with the new wheel selection.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by avs007
That's why (among other things) I have an air assisted hydraulic jack, and a variety of air tools, tlo go along with my tank/compressor....

I just connect the hose to my jack... push button.. pst pst pst, car raises up... Slide in jack stands.... Repeat for rear..... Bzzzzt Bzzzzt Bzzzzt, remove tires.... etc, etc...

Did I mention that I love my air tools?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ x2 haha, gotta love air tools
Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Jeff,
I wanna send this text to Mr. Emmons, and whoever else you think I ahould cc. Anyone out htere who thinks the dealerships actions are nothing short of criminal, I suggest you compose an email as well. Be articulate, be firm. Let them know how we feel about thier policies. I would sincerely liek to find the Acura regional reps email to cc as well.
Jeff, please PM your last name so I can include it.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Mr. Emmons,
My name is ..... Kennedy. I purchased a 2006 Acura TL from Kwame Gachette back in April 2006. Since the purchase, I have been nothing short of enthralled with the car. I've only had one issue with the vehicle since purchase, which entailed some paint chipping off the back the trunk. Your service department dealt with that swiftly and proffessionally a few months ago. I frequently stop in and visit Corey, the part manager, to pick up sundr parts for projects and such, he's great as well. For that I thank you.

However, I'm deeply disturbed today after talking to my friend Jeff, the owner of the 2004 Green Tl that had the rims ripped off and was left sitting on car batteries while waiting on warranty service. It is my understanding that your dealership is assuming zero liability for this incident. Although I fully understand your posture and liability posture, there is also something to be said for bailment responsibility and the general "right thing to do". It's truly unfortunate that our society has become such a letigious one, that only corporations and large businesses posess the resources to influence "what is considered right".

If my Karen Radlet Acura loaner car was damaged in my parking driveway, I would have no choice in assumption of responsibiulity, how is Jeff liable for your lack of security?

Needless to say Jeff and I are more than just average car buyers. We are both auto enthusiasts, and waste a tremendous amounts of time, money, and energy tinkering with these fine automobiles as a hobby, which Jeff's beautiful TL clearly demonstrates. As enthusiasts, we have places to collaborate, share ideas and expereinces, and seek advice. Jeff has taken the liberty of posting his expereince with this matter on the Acurazine.com, the most visited Acura enthusiast internet community on the web. Needless to say, this unfortunate matter does not reflect well upon your dealership, and the community there is not pleased. This incident has been an eye opener for many folks who were under the impression the dealership would cover vandalism/theft damage if it took place on thier premises.

Mr. Emmons, to be completely frank, after reviewing how this was handled, in no way will I be a patron of your dealership again. Those who review this thread posting at Acurazine will likely not either. Those potential Acura buyers that know someone who has read this thread will likely hear the same advice.

This is an opportunity for you to truly demonstrate the ethics and values articulated by Mrs. Radley in your mission statement. Your genorous and caring handling of this would reflect greatly within our Acura community. If you can find a way, I woudl highly suggest you find a way to make this right with Jeff, and share in teh responsibility with him. I'm sure Jeff would return the favor in noting his satisfaction on Acurazine, return customership, and dealer reference.

If this happens to any schlum on the streets, you lose a customer... but Jeff and others like Jeff are a special kind of customer, who do more marketing for Acura than the Acura marketing department. Lose Jeff as a customer, and you loose hundreds of others... including the author of this email.

I hope this all ends well, and good luck to you and your staff.
Sincerely,

It's unproofed and not spell checked yet, just wanted to get it out for review...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
How may I help you.....?

Kennedy

nicely stated. Feel free to send that to Mr Emmons if you wish. i appreciate the support. Nothing like a few pissed off devil dogs to speak thier mind..
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Very well said Kennedy, I'm sure it registers a bit more w/ the GM coming from a past and potentially no longer future customer.

I'll send something as well stating that as a NY attorney, I would be salivating to go after them.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Instructor

I sent this:

Good afternoon Rod,

My name is [redacted] and I am the owner of a 2007 Acura TL Type S purchased from Don Carlton in Tulsa Oklahoma. I love the car and chose Acura not only for their product but because of the premier service they offer. It troubles me greatly to hear a story of an Acura dealership dropping the ball in customer service and even makes me question my own purchase.

I am referring to a customer of yours, Jeff Balisle, who brought his car in for warranty work then ended up needing a new transmission. While in your possession the car was vandalized and had items stolen from it. These are terrible things to happen but as is the car was under your control because of a Acura defect. To flip the tables imagine if you issued me a loaner car and I called you the next day to tell you the car was damaged and stripped of its wheels while in my garage; what would you do?

Not only is your dealership not stepping up to the plate to fix this but you are also engaging in general bad customer service. Jeff states he has called for several days just to hear the GM is too busy or leaving town. He finally had to go in person.

I don't live in your area but if I did this would be enough for me to steer clear of your lot. Jeff's account are posted publicly on the internet on the largest Acura TL forum. Many readers including myself check the internet before making a purchasing decision. Do the right thing and you may still have a change of keeping the Acura reputation.

Thanks,

_Jay
Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
How may I help you.....?

All I ask is that people not be assholes to the GM or the dealership. Legally, they are not necessarly liable which is why I went through my own insurance. Plus it isnt worth the headache.

The issue here was simply customer service. You all saw the email I sent the GM. Lets wait and see what happens before we start sending all kinds of emails.

Who knows... maybe they will do right by me and all of this is for not...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Not to mention... They still have to fix Jeff's Tranny. Piss em off good and I'm sure they'll do a quality job...

All I ask is that people not be assholes to the GM or the dealership. Legally, they are not necessarly liable which is why I went through my own insurance. Plus it isnt worth the headache.

The issue here was simply customer service. You all saw the email I sent the GM. Lets wait and see what happens before we start sending all kinds of emails.

Who knows... maybe they will do right by me and all of this is for not...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Kennedy:

Good note!! Maybe more of the Acura owners of Northern Virginia that frequent Karen Ridley Acura will also send a note to the GM also. The more customers that do the more the impact!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nhousepro
yup, when i worked for infiniti, all the cars with custom wheels and stuff got parked in the garage.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

The dealer is responsible for any damage one to your car. Period. If they give you a hard time tell them you believe this's an inside job and you coming back with the cops and some TV stations( just to scare them).Nobody likes bad publicity.Also get the name of the Customer Rep. who took your order and try to pin him down.Shitheads.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Don't take this the wrong way; I'd be pissed if my car was violated at the dealer too.
Having a really nice ride is a double-edge sword. It's really cool to have, nice to drive, gets you compliments, etc, but it also makes you a target - for thieves, people who are jealous and key it, etc.
So if you have a really nice ride you have to accept some risk that people are going to eff with it.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread is scary. Im about to put 19 inch wheels on my car and i do all the services at the dealership...
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that legally the dealership may not be responsible but the way they handled this they will never get my business! I bought my 06 TL from Pohanka. Acura in Fairfax. Looks like I will use them again. Here is what I sent to Radley Acura. I CC everyone on that email list posted earlier so they know why their sales will most likely go down. Maybe the sales people will quit and go to Pohanka? Jeff GOOD LUCK man! I hope they do the right thing for you. Keep us posted.

Hello Mr. Emmons,

I live near the Fairfax County Parkway kind of between Radley Acura and Pohanka Acura. I currently own a 06 ACURA TL which I am looking to trade in for a Beautiful New 2007 TL-S. I Love my Acura TL and think it is by far the best car I have ever owned, even better than my BMW. I would definitely consider myself a Loyal ACURA Buyer. I am also currently looking at buying my wife either a TSX or an MDX, or heck even a TL if she wants one. Like most women she is indecisive. Well at any rate your dealership is definitely close to me and I was about to contact your Internet sales dept to see what they could do for me reference a trade in value for my 06 to upgrade into the new 07 and combine that with a possible car for my wife. Unfortunately, I belong to an Acura Forum in which a recent member (I believe his name is Jeff Balisle) posted his dissatisfaction with the way your dealership and you personally dealt with a very unfortunate situation. I believe you know of the situation that I speak of. He brought his TL to your dealership recently for a new transmission and tragically while his vehicle was parked on your lot his veh was broken into and his after-market wheels were stolen. The thieves then left his car resting on a pair of car batteries causing even further damage. It is my understanding that you and your dealership have refused to take any responsibility or at the very least make Mr.Balisle feel like he is a valued customer. It is also my understanding that your dealership has not really done anything to make this right for Mr. Balisle. Of course I have only heard one side of this story but unfortunately for your dealership thousands of Acura Owners including myself now have a rather low opinion of your dealership and I can tell you that although I have no feelings good or bad about Pohanka Acura they have won the opportunity to win my business whereas Radley will most likely never get my business, neither now or in the future. I do not know Mr. Balisle personally but I feel bad for the ordeal that he has been put through. I just thought you should know the power of the Internet and Forums. Word of mouth can get you business or take it away. I just wanted you to know that in this case it most certainly has cost your dealership at the very least...My business. I only hope that one day my opinion of your dealership changes for the better. As of right now I simply shake my head and share with as many people as who will listen how badly you have handled this poor guys situation. I can only hope that your customer service/appreciation improves in the future.

Sincerely,

Mr. Paul ****
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BRAVO!!!!!

To ALL you guys who've composed intellegent, thoughtful, respectful letters to the GM of this dealership. I'm still working on my letter. Being from so far away, I need to add a different slant. However, I'm proud as a peacock to be a member of this site, and prouder still of all of you whose compassion and concern may just make a difference in this case. I'm not holding my breath, but if we keep sending such insightful and caring letters expressing our disappointment...who knows what can happen. Instances like this are pulverizing, and I'm once again amazed at the caliber of the great group of guys frequent this forum. This is a class act, and you guys are the best.

All I can add at this point is...keep 'em coming, and keep them above board.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I have talked to Jeff about this and also to Rod who is the GM at Radley. I have known Rod for many years and told him that Jeff wasn't happy with how things have gone down. Rod has also received a few emails bashing him about this from people on this and other forums. Bottom line is unless the car is inside the dealership building or damaged by an employee their insurance doesn't cover it. If it's on the lot it's like being in any other place of business. It's no different then having rims taken when your at the mall. It's not the malls fault it's just where it was parked. Legally it falls under the owners responsibility. The dealership should still be helpful in the process and in this case they might have been able to do better in that area. They are aware of this. I personally wouldn't have taken this matter online because it's not really the dealers fault this happened to the car and it only hurts a lot of good people that work hard and provide great service at Radley. More sympathy on the part of Radley would have been nice but in the end it's really not their fault that some ass hole messed up Jeff's car. Normally the lot his car was in has a secure gate, but they are under construction right now and the gate has been removed while they finish the work and renovations. There are no survalence cameras on the lot though. As for the Acura batteries they have a crate near where his car was that they put old Acura batteries they replace on customers cars. They are there waiting to be picked up for recycling and are always left outside. That is why they used them in the same way most theives use blocks to take wheels. Just because they were used doesn't mean an employee did this. As far as the door being opened I have opened my door on my TL 2 times to get the keys out with a coat hanger. It took a while but it is possible.
My heavily modded cars has been there many times and I have never had any problems with it. The guys that work there know I have lots of mods on the car and where they are located. Never once have I had anything missing. I don't even remove my CD's or the change from the car. It really is a good dealership and they have a great staff. I understand Jeff's concern and have told Rod that maybe he could have been more helpful. After that I think he was planning to try to do more until he was directed to this thread by some people emailing him and saw how he was being talked about. I doubt he will be willing to help much after that. Either way it's a bad situation that could have been handled a few different way. In the end I hope everyone can learn a lesson from this and take more time to work with each other to seek a better outcome in the future. Like I said I have talked to Jeff and offered my help in getting his car back in the pristine condition I'm used to seeing it in. I also hope whoever took the wheels gets caught for what they did. I'm not taking sides here I just hate to see things like this happen to good people like Jeff. I also wanted to set a few things strait about the dealership since they have been nothing but helpful to me over the past 10 years of dealing with them.

D
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welll since we are all scared of what had happened, i think that i recommend us acura owners to remove aftermarket rims and putting in our stock rims the day before we take it to the acura dealer. and for the Acura Dealer, what they should do is to add servalence camera's and to have gates locked at all times after dusk.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff, this is what I plan to send to Mr. Emmons with your blessing. Please let me know if you approve before I do so.
__________________________________________________ ____

Dear Mr. Emmons,

Since I live near Chicago, I will most likely never be a customer of Radley Acura. I nonetheless feel compelled to add my voice to the chorus of folks

from whom you've been getting letters concerning the automotive vandalism and theft incident that occurred on August 3rd on your car lot. I am of course

referring to the theft of custom wheels and tires, and subsequent damages inflicted upon the Acura TL belonging to Jeff Balisle. I'm sure by now you have

figured out that I too am an automotive enthusiast and Acura TL owner. The photos and acompanying description posted by Jeff on the WWW.ACURAZINE.COM

website were difficult to review for folks like us who really love our vehicles. We all sympathize with Jeff, and feel his pain. Jeff's car is one of the

finest examples of what we, a group of several thousand members, do with our spare time and money. These are much more than cars to us. These are our

babies.

I feel you need to hear that Jeff first posted his forlorn story on August 5th. As of this evening, August 9th, there have been 9,037 views of the

thread, and 261 replies. By the time I finsh writing this letter I think it would be safe to say that at least another 3 or 4 dozen will have read the

thread, and probably another 3 or 4 will have felt the need to contribute to it. Think about those numbers. They carry a LOT of weight. Four days, and

it's number one with a bullet on this website. In the overwhelming majority of responses to Jeff's original posting, you will see outrage expressed at

how you and Radley Acura have handled the incident up to this point. You might also note that we are a very reasonable and somewhat intelligent group of

reasonably affluent consumers, as well as car enthusiasts. Regardless of whether or not you chose to be, you are in the spotlight as you read this

letter. Thousands of eyes are waiting to see how this all plays out.

I doubt you're very concerned about what a guy from Chicago thinks of your business practices, or how you treat customers. For that, I cannot blame you.

However, were I you I would indeed be concerned about becoming somewhat of a black mark on the Acura community on the whole. You sir, are rapidly

becoming famous, like it or not. You can be forever known as the General Manager of the Acura Dealership who refused to answer phone calls, and

ultimately decided against doing the decent thing...The right thing. Or you can make a lot of friends in a hurry. I'm sure as a man in your position you

are familiar with the concept of good will. This is a golden opportunity for you and your dealership to make a small gesture that will be seen by

literally thousands of us as a shining example of that concept in action. Nothing would go further in our collective eyes than to see this situation

reversed. You may see this and other letters like it as annoyances that you can simply click DELETE on, and dismiss the entire event. Or you can

reconsider your position, and perhaps reverse it. To be honest, doing so would cause you to become a true hero to us all.

In closing I implore you to reconsider, and to take responsibility for the damages done to Jeff's car. Make his baby whole again. Make a ton of new

friends. I bet it will even make you some money in the long run.

Warmest regards,

Dan XXXXXX
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=I-MOD]I have talked to Jeff about this and also to Rod who is the GM at Radley. I have known Rod for many years and told him that Jeff wasn't happy with how things have gone down. Rod has also received a few emails bashing him about this from people on this and other forums. Bottom line is unless the car is inside the dealership building or damaged by an employee their insurance doesn't cover it. If it's on the lot it's like being in any other place of business. It's no different then having rims taken when your at the mall. It's not the malls fault it's just where it was parked. Legally it falls under the owners responsibility. The dealership should still be helpful in the process and in this case they might have been able to do better in that area. They are aware of this. I personally wouldn't have taken this matter online because it's not really the dealers fault this happened to the car and it only hurts a lot of good people that work hard and provide great service at Radley. More sympathy on the part of Radley would have been nice but in the end it's really not their fault that some ass hole messed up Jeff's car. Normally the lot his car was in has a secure gate, but they are under construction right now and the gate has been removed while they finish the work and renovations. There are no survalence cameras on the lot though. As for the Acura batteries they have a crate near where his car was that they put old Acura batteries they replace on customers cars. They are there waiting to be picked up for recycling and are always left outside. That is why they used them in the same way most theives use blocks to take wheels. Just because they were used doesn't mean an employee did this. As far as the door being opened I have opened my door on my TL 2 times to get the keys out with a coat hanger. It took a while but it is possible.
My heavily modded cars has been there many times and I have never had any problems with it. The guys that work there know I have lots of mods on the car and where they are located. Never once have I had anything missing. I don't even remove my CD's or the change from the car. It really is a good dealership and they have a great staff. I understand Jeff's concern and have told Rod that maybe he could have been more helpful. After that I think he was planning to try to do more until he was directed to this thread by some people emailing him and saw how he was being talked about. I doubt he will be willing to help much after that. Either way it's a bad situation that could have been handled a few different way. In the end I hope everyone can learn a lesson from this and take more time to work with each other to seek a better outcome in the future. Like I said I have talked to Jeff and offered my help in getting his car back in the pristine condition I'm used to seeing it in. I also hope whoever took the wheels gets caught for what they did. I'm not taking sides here I just hate to see things like this happen to good people like Jeff. I also wanted to set a few things strait about the dealership since they have been nothing but helpful to me over the past 10 years of dealing with them.

That is all fine and dandy to say and i understand the point, but your car at the mall and your car at the supermarket is totally different. You don't give the keys to anyone at either one of those places... Everyone is well aware that you take risks of damage when leaving cars in public places like malls. The point is tha the dealership should tell you where you car is going to be and make sure that you are comfortable with that fact UP FRONT. Not some BS like we are not responsible for lost or stolen items, it should be either A. We have to keep your car outside beacuase we are renovating, is that OK. OR B) While we work on your car it will be fully secure and inside our maintenance shop.. THis is the problem, when i have taken my car in for service overnight it has ALWAYS been in the service garge, and if they were to tell me that my car was going to be stored outside unsecured i would NOT leave it there for service. THIS SHOULD BE VERY CLEAR AND CONVEYED UP FRONT BY THE DEALER to everyone that comes in for service!!!!Also, no dealership should ever not have a gate or ever leave customers cars outside... If they are under construction the last thing they should ever mess with is the gate, i work in the construction and building industry and have never been to any noteworthyor reputable job that is not gated, it is just not a good business practice to leave anything exposed under those circumstances, since contractors will not allow tens of thousand of dollars of equipment and supplies to be left unattended and unsecured.,.

PLEASE tell me if i am wrong
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I-MOD
I have talked to Jeff about this and also to Rod who is the GM at Radley. I have known Rod for many years and told him that Jeff wasn't happy with how things have gone down. Rod has also received a few emails bashing him about this from people on this and other forums. Bottom line is unless the car is inside the dealership building or damaged by an employee their insurance doesn't cover it. If it's on the lot it's like being in any other place of business. It's no different then having rims taken when your at the mall. It's not the malls fault it's just where it was parked. Legally it falls under the owners responsibility. The dealership should still be helpful in the process and in this case they might have been able to do better in that area. They are aware of this. I personally wouldn't have taken this matter online because it's not really the dealers fault this happened to the car and it only hurts a lot of good people that work hard and provide great service at Radley. More sympathy on the part of Radley would have been nice but in the end it's really not their fault that some ass hole messed up Jeff's car. Normally the lot his car was in has a secure gate, but they are under construction right now and the gate has been removed while they finish the work and renovations. There are no survalence cameras on the lot though. As for the Acura batteries they have a crate near where his car was that they put old Acura batteries they replace on customers cars. They are there waiting to be picked up for recycling and are always left outside. That is why they used them in the same way most theives use blocks to take wheels. Just because they were used doesn't mean an employee did this. As far as the door being opened I have opened my door on my TL 2 times to get the keys out with a coat hanger. It took a while but it is possible.

D

As i read this it sounds worse and worse.. I stand by my original statement and really need to add to it......

If any business does not have a gate BEFORE construction, they are about 10X more likely to INSTALL some sort of gate or fencing DURING construction. THis only adds to their negligence and makes them look even worse for what happened to this guys car@@@@ I know that dealer does NOT want to pay for the liability, but i REALLY want to know if the dealer TOLD the original poster that his car would be OUTSIDE in an open area PRIOR to him agreeing to any warranty work, beacuse in that case if he did accept under the circumstances than i would agree that the dealer was not at fault since they told the consumer the details of the agreement...HOWEVER I do not know ANYONE who wold agree under these terms, please chime in OP to clarify this

Thanks again

DESPER
Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

D
As desper mentioned having your car at the mall or supermarket and handing over the keys to the dealer are completely different. When he handed over his car to the dealer they took temporary possession and Jeff no longer had control.

I would assume Radley Acura will no longer leave high value cars oustide?

No doubt it's a bad situation for both parties but the GM handled it extremely poorly. Judging from Jeff's posts I imagine had the GM approached Jeff and explained the situation in a reasonable manner and offered all assistance he could it wouldn't be an issue now. People make mistakes and have bad days; so how it's handled now is up to him.

You're saying that now the GM and his dealership are developing a bad reputation he won't help at all? Frankly, that's a load of BS. Unfortunately it seems more and more people think they can get away with ripping consumers off. What should of Jeff done? Just put his head down and walk away? The dealer brought this on their selves by not handling this in a professional manner.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
TL N YA

I think who ever has the Key is responsibility for the car. An also, what if the construction gate fall and hit your car. I guest it's the owners responsibility for that to.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I hope they at least gave you a loaner until this gets worked out...

Should have thrown in a free set of OEM rims to get you up and running as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

There is no law saying they have to put Fort Knox security on cars in for service. If they did provide a huge storage garage with a guard, barbed wire electric fences and cover every inch of the lot with cameras they would have a lot more over head and everyone would bitch because the cars cost more. This is an unfortunate event handled badly nothing more.

D.

[QUOTE=desper]

That is all fine and dandy to say and i understand the point, but your car at the mall and your car at the supermarket is totally different. You don't give the keys to anyone at either one of those places... Everyone is well aware that you take risks of damage when leaving cars in public places like malls. The point is tha the dealership should tell you where you car is going to be and make sure that you are comfortable with that fact UP FRONT. Not some BS like we are not responsible for lost or stolen items, it should be either A. We have to keep your car outside beacuase we are renovating, is that OK. OR B) While we work on your car it will be fully secure and inside our maintenance shop.. THis is the problem, when i have taken my car in for service overnight it has ALWAYS been in the service garge, and if they were to tell me that my car was going to be stored outside unsecured i would NOT leave it there for service. THIS SHOULD BE VERY CLEAR AND CONVEYED UP FRONT BY THE DEALER to everyone that comes in for service!!!!Also, no dealership should ever not have a gate or ever leave customers cars outside... If they are under construction the last thing they should ever mess with is the gate, i work in the construction and building industry and have never been to any noteworthyor reputable job that is not gated, it is just not a good business practice to leave anything exposed under those circumstances, since contractors will not allow tens of thousand of dollars of equipment and supplies to be left unattended and unsecured.,.

PLEASE tell me if i am wrong
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

There is no law saying they have to put Fort Knox security on cars in for service. If they did provide a huge storage garage with a guard, barbed wire electric fences and cover every inch of the lot with cameras they would have a lot more over head and everyone would bitch because the cars cost more. This is an unfortunate event handled badly nothing more.

D.

Wow your response makes no sense please read and UNDERSTAND

#1 Gates and fences are more prevalant in sites that are being worked on than sites that are not...

#2 I did say the dealer is right if they told the customer that his car had to be stored outside,,,, all i wanted was clarification of the point

#3 You dont hand over keys to people at the mall it is not the same...

I dont need to be bashed becuase you think i over exaggarated i was simply STATING THE FACTS and no BS like you are doing....
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Maybe I was not clear. They HAD a gate up it was taken down as part of construction to allow for heavy equipment and large materials to be able to acces the area. I'm sure they plan to put up a nice new secure gate again once complete. Even if they don't it's not required. When you leave your car there it's a risk you take. So yea, you leave your key with them. If your car is stolen from your driveway as you sleep inside with the key should the cops and your insurance blame you? You had posession of the car and keys, you could have secured it better. If they tried to say the same thing to you you would be like fuck that, what am I supposed to do put the car in my living room? How is that different then this? People and businesses do what they can to prevent theft but the world is full of ass holes who will do what they can to take other peoples stuff. That will never stop.
Like I said the dealership could have done a better job in dealing with Jeff and he and I have talked about this. But in the end it's not their fault this happened.
In the past I have asked that my car be put in the bay at night if there was room and they have done that. They don't have space to do that for every car but Pam would do her best to try to make sure it happened if asked. They can't offer that to every customer if they did they would spend 2 hours a day movin cars in and out and people would bitch that service was slow. I know this is messed up but you guys have to see the whole thing not just focus on how it was handled as a reason to bash the dealership. Vent all you want about them not being more helpful to Jeff but the fact is it's not the dealerships fault or their liability. I think at this point even Jeff arees with this.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

I'm not bashing you I'm trying to open the view of whats going on here a bit better. Why you feel like I'm against you on this is beyond me I'm just filling in what I know and providing more info about the dealership.

D.

Originally Posted by desper
Wow your response makes no sense please read and UNDERSTAND

#1 Gates and fences are more prevalant in sites that are being worked on than sites that are not...

#2 I did say the dealer is right if they told the customer that his car had to be stored outside,,,, all i wanted was clarification of the point

#3 You dont hand over keys to people at the mall it is not the same...

I dont need to be bashed becuase you think i over exaggarated i was simply STATING THE FACTS and no BS like you are doing....
Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Maybe I was not clear. They HAD a gate up it was taken down as part of construction to allow for heavy equipment and large materials to be able to acces the area. I'm sure they plan to put up a nice new secure gate again once complete. Even if they don't it's not required. When you leave your car there it's a risk you take. So yea, you leave your key with them. If your car is stolen from your driveway as you sleep inside with the key should the cops and your insurance blame you? You had posession of the car and keys, you could have secured it better. If they tried to say the same thing to you you would be like fuck that, what am I supposed to do put the car in my living room? How is that different then this? People and businesses do what they can to prevent theft but the world is full of ass holes who will do what they can to take other peoples stuff. That will never stop.
Like I said the dealership could have done a better job in dealing with Jeff and he and I have talked about this. But in the end it's not their fault this happened.
In the past I have asked that my car be put in the bay at night if there was room and they have done that. They don't have space to do that for every car but Pam would do her best to try to make sure it happened if asked. They can't offer that to every customer if they did they would spend 2 hours a day movin cars in and out and people would bitch that service was slow. I know this is messed up but you guys have to see the whole thing not just focus on how it was handled as a reason to bash the dealership. Vent all you want about them not being more helpful to Jeff but the fact is it's not the dealerships fault or their liability. I think at this point even Jeff arees with this.
What a minute! So there wasn't even a gate to the dealership? Why don't they do what others do and use cars as a gate to block the entrance. Leaving an entrance to the dealership is easy pickings for a theif and is completely negligent on the side of the dealer. If this is true I would say not only are they ethically liable but also legally liable.

Call up the GM and ask him who we would blame if one of his loaners with A-Spec rims was stolen while parked out in front of a chop shop over night?

You're right that thieves are responsible but the dealer has a responsibility to protect their customers cars. They certainly have no problem adding $90 for wheel locks to every car that rolls of the trailer and charging the customer for that.

How is the dealership going to change policy? If it's just too much work for them to move a couple high target cars inside do you think maybe they could keep something like the wheel locks inside the office?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I-Mod, I know you're trying to do the right thing, but I don't think you're hearing what Desper is saying. You are missing two of his key points.

1. With constuction equipment and/or materials on-site it is normally *more* likely that a job site will have a security gate in place - to protect the materials and equipment from theft.

2. Say I have the dealer loaner locked in my garage and take a day trip. I come back that night and find that someone broke in the back garage door and vandalized or stole the loaner. Who is liable? Me or the Dealer? The *normal* answer is "me" - I have posession, I've been entrusted to care for the car "appropriately", it is on my property and I am insured. Why is it different for the dealer in this case? Even better, what if the car is parked in my (ungated) driveway?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Not sure how I became the bad guy here I'm just trying to explain some facts and layout how things are setup for some of the members who aren't in our area. I consider Jeff a friend and I'm actually the guy who told him to go see Pam to get his trans fixed. I'm looking out for him but I'm also trying to be the voice of reason on some other aspects of this situation that are getting out of control. People who know nothing of this place, of Jeff or his car are ranting about facts they don't truly know. I'm adding my input because I do know the car and everyone involved. This isn't a bad dealership. Me and hundreds of other Acura owners have had nothing but great results there. This matter was handled badly and that totally sucks. In the end I'm sure they will make things right with Jeff. I have never seen them not take care of things like that. But there is a process and people that have to get involved to approve things and review what happened. By calling the GM an ass hole and bashing the place it's hardly going to make them want to go the extra mile when legally they don't have to. In the end nobody has let things play out to see what the final result would be before making judgements. His car is still in the bay being worked on as we speak so how can we say the matter is closed and formulate an opinion on how they delt with it? I'm not saying you guys are wrong I'm saying let things play out and let people like me who are closer to the situation provide more info before you go off about the outcome.

D.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:41 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Totally agree with him but in most case the fences are around a closed job site meaning business isn't being do theit still each day. this dealership has been open the entire time it's been under construction so they can't gate off the whole place. It still has to allow work to be done and operate normally.

As far as the loaner car thing I'm not sure why the laws make it the owners liability but the fact is it looks like in this case that's how it is. If it was the dealerships liability I'm sure they would have taken care of it right away. From what I know and have researched it's not on them to cover the car here and that sucks ass. At first I though the same as you all did that they are to cover it but after asking some guys here at work (I work at a very large lawfirm) they said in most cases it falls under the owners liability.

D.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I-Mod, I know you're trying to do the right thing, but I don't think you're hearing what Desper is saying. You are missing two of his key points.

1. With constuction equipment and/or materials on-site it is normally *more* likely that a job site will have a security gate in place - to protect the materials and equipment from theft.

2. Say I have the dealer loaner locked in my garage and take a day trip. I come back that night and find that someone broke in the back garage door and vandalized or stole the loaner. Who is liable? Me or the Dealer? The *normal* answer is "me" - I have posession, I've been entrusted to care for the car "appropriately", it is on my property and I am insured. Why is it different for the dealer in this case?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

How would blockin access with cars prevent wheel theft? I'm not saying your wrong I just don't see you point on how this would help?
I can't answer the other points as I don't operate or work at the dealership. If I recall though Jeff keeps his wheel locks in the glove box anyway so there was no reaon for them to even know he had locks until it came time to work on the car and usually what Pam does is call the owner to ask where they keep the key. Keep in mind here, he dropped this car off and it was waiting to be worked on. The trans was on order so it was on the lot waiting for it to arrive. They wouldn't need to pull the wheels until time to install it.

D.

Originally Posted by jay0k
What a minute! So there wasn't even a gate to the dealership? Why don't they do what others do and use cars as a gate to block the entrance. Leaving an entrance to the dealership is easy pickings for a theif and is completely negligent on the side of the dealer. If this is true I would say not only are they ethically liable but also legally liable.

Call up the GM and ask him who we would blame if one of his loaners with A-Spec rims was stolen while parked out in front of a chop shop over night?

You're right that thieves are responsible but the dealer has a responsibility to protect their customers cars. They certainly have no problem adding $90 for wheel locks to every car that rolls of the trailer and charging the customer for that.

How is the dealership going to change policy? If it's just too much work for them to move a couple high target cars inside do you think maybe they could keep something like the wheel locks inside the office?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

THis is my last dam post... this poster is to dam persistant.. you sure you dont work for the dealer... HA

if the OP would have parked his car outside his own place and it was stolen or vandalised it would not be his fault.. BUT if he had a BIG ASS garage and didn't park the car in the garage it would be his fault becuase at that point he is a dumbass. The dealer should never have more cars than bays for overnight work it would make asolutely no sense whatsoever.. It would simply be overbooking work which would also not make any sense. Yes IT IS A BAD situation and all i want to know is if they told him or not if his would be stored outside,,,, i learned a valuable lesson from this, i will ALWAYS aks the dealer if my car will be inside or outside if it is outside it will not stay at the dealer if it is inside it will stay at the dealer becucase there is no way they can justify a customers can being ripped off inside there garage and have the customer pay for it this IS MY POINT@!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help