Sponsored by:

Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help

This is painful for me...

OK, so I took my car into the dealership because of some noises in my transmission... Turns out that they had to pull the entire tranny and replace it with a brand new one...

Tranny is in transit, but I get a call from the dealership yesterday asking me to come by. Turns out, Friday night, my car was sitting in the dealership parking lot. Someone came by, jimmied open the passenger door, pulled my tire key, ripped off my rims, then dropped the car onto two car batteries. (Acura specific batteries)...

Car is pretty fucked up. They dropped it onto the batteries but it wasnt even on the lift points so both side skirts are damaged, both doors are bowed and wont shut, and the car is resting on the rotors.

MY QUESTIONS / HELP

I am supposed to talk to the GM tomorrow... What should I expect? I wouls think they would be responsible for replacing the rims, tires and fixing the car back to the same condition as when I brought it in... I dont know if they are going to dothat though... Also, what do I say to this guy about the situation?

This kinda makes me lose faith in my car... what if there is a part in the suspension or brakes that they miss and it fails later? I am tempted to trade the car in and get something else....

Any comments?

Pics...

Old 08-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow that totally sucks man but im pretty sure your cura dealer should be taking care of everything for you since it was on their property. As for the trade in its up to you but if it were me id just probally have them fix everything and leave it as is. BTW what kind of rims did you have.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
According to his signature, he had Ronjon Inspires.

I would see what the dealership says they will do. If they don't fix it, call your insurance up and have them fight it out for you. But let the dealership resolve it on their own first.

And as for selling it, I think if they fix it up well it'll be ok but you can ask them to give you some kind of warranty or something.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they should be responsible for everything, honestly i would trade it in because there could be so many things wrong with it, your rotors or control arms could be dent, damaged in someway. plus you need new sideskirts and doors dont close? did you have aftermarket rims on the car?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My condolences. I hate thieves and vandals. They are low life scum bag trash.

I would assume the dealer will take full responsibility since the car was in their possession. The car should be 100% fine after the repairs. You can try to see if they will give you a good deal on a trade-in to get a sale on a new 2008, however, I wouldn't expect a miracle.

If the dealer doesn't take care of it then then file a claim with your comprehensive insurance and hopefully they will go after the dealer for you.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM
How may I help you.....?

Yeah, I had RJ Inspyres 19x8.5 on there....

Im scared that the metalframe may have caught the battery terminals... whoknows if it electricaly shorted the car or not... We arent allowed to touch the car because the cops arent done with it....
Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
FOR SALE - BM

That sucks. I had my amps stolen out my corrado when it was at the dealer. They didn't give me anything telling me that it was aftermarket and that they were not responsible for anything left in the car. Find out a couple of months later that there was an inside crew that was stealing audis, and porsches. Good luck with everything. Get rid of the car. Sounds like there is some body damage. Good reason to get a type S. Dealer might even give u a good deal considering what u have been through
Old 08-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
I agree. Sounds like an inside job.

Has happened a few times around here (Houston).
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Drifting

That's a hanging offense as far as I'm concerned...

Pricks...

Did you have wheel locks on it?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Yeah, I had RJ Inspyres 19x8.5 on there....

Im scared that the metalframe may have caught the battery terminals... whoknows if it electricaly shorted the car or not... We arent allowed to touch the car because the cops arent done with it....
If that is the case the car should still be fine. The electrical current is going to take the path of least resistance so it will travel the 6 inches across the metal frame only.

Since you do have after market rims you may have a battle on your hands getting the dealer to pay for those. Hopefully you can prove some sort of negligence like the lot was left unlocked or the car was left unlocked (proving that might be next to impossible though). Good luck!

Those are pretty unique rims so keep an eye out for them. Check ebay and craigslist. Swing by the dealership at lunch every now and then to see if they just happen to be on any cars in that area.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately the the dealership is not responsible for this; if they offer to assist you with anything that's above and beyond, but they are not liable for what some punk shithead kid does because his parents didn't beat him when he was a child.

It's just like parking your car at a garage; read the parking ticket - owner not liable for any losses or stolen items.

Do you know if they locked your car that night?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Wow... seeing those pictures actually made me sad and disgusted that somebody would do that. I'm sorry for you and your car. Based on the amount of obvious damage (doors, side skirts, rotors, and brakes) and the possibility of damage to the suspension, axles, frame, etc., I think that the best choice is to trade in the car.

Hopefully the dealership will repair all of the damage. If not, contact your insurance and send these pictures.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:54 PM
How may I help you.....?

They claim that the car was on the lot, locked but I didnt see any evidence that the door was jimmied so who knows...

I have to believe that they are liable whether they are after market rims or not... shouldnt make a difference.. If I didnt give them my car, itnever would have happened...

well just have to wait and see.... if they dont fix it and I have to go through my own insurance, I will be supremly pissed off.. I would get rid of the car and NOT get another Acura

I can't justify the money for a type S when the new 09 is coming out in just a year and a half...

this shit just makes me fucking depressed.....
Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i too ( along w/ timmahh) believe that your going to be SOL trying to get the dealer to cover anything. good luck w/ that. i am sorry to see your car looking like that. i would contact your insurance company asap. tough call on whether to trade it in or not. on the one hand, they didn't actually take the car and those parts can be fixed/replaced and on the other hand, can one really get over being violated like that....
Old 08-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Those Inspyres can only go on a few models other than the TL, and the appeal is pretty limited in that fashion. I'd bet that it was an inside job, or it was someone who knows of RonJon wheels or this site.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Jeff, it looks like you took it to Pohanka. But this doesn't look like their lot. This looks like some overflow lot across the street. If they put your car over where near the Kmart, I'd be pretty fucking livid with them, but better head need to prevail.

Also seeing that it was Acura batteries, sounds like inside job. Anyone call the police?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
East Coast Crew

That's really messed up that it happened to you. See if anyone in the area is now rolling around with your rims.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy shit. That just plain sucks. I sure hope the dealer will at least offer to cover some of the recovery, but I doubt they are liable.

I feel so sorry for you, what a crappy deal.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:08 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Jeff, it looks like you took it to Pohanka. But this doesn't look like their lot. This looks like some overflow lot across the street. If they put your car over where near the Kmart, I'd be pretty fucking livid with them, but better head need to prevail.

Also seeing that it was Acura batteries, sounds like inside job. Anyone call the police?
Wasnt Pohanka... It was down in Woodbridge.. I went there because they were recommended for the warranty work and they would give me the loaner...

Cops were called, report filed and they even found some fingerprints...

I gotta call my insurance tomorrow but should I call Acura Care before I talk to the dealer GM??
Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Woodbridge, not nice, I would talk to GM first and see how it will be handled. I would also talk to Police to see if this has happened before with Karen. Dealer has to have some responsibility even though they might have signs up. For someone to jack up on THEIR lot and no one notice is BS, they have extended service hours. I would push the GM to completely fix the car.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:15 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Woodbridge, not nice, I would talk to GM first and see how it will be handled. I would also talk to Police to see if this has happened before with Karen. Dealer has to have some responsibility even though they have signs everywhere. For someone to jack up on THEIR lot and no one notice is BS. I would push the GM to completely fix the car.
Thanks bro.... this is going to be a hell of a fight....
Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
FOR SALE - BM

if they give you any bit of a hard time, get a lawyer...
Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
damn dats fked up bro, wat a bytch who ever did that
Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by RBP_04TL
damn dats fked up bro, wat a bytch who ever did that
I believe this was an inside job, because of the Acura car batteries and the type of rims stolen. I think these dealership have survillance throughout their lot, get them to review the tapes, also they should carry full responsibility because the vehicle was on their lot.

Also, if there was no forced entry, someone needed the keys to open the door like you said. brings up quiestions thats an employee of the dealership is involved.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

wow bro that suxs...i hope the dealership takes full responsability for the damages. It looks like an inside job and stay on top of the situation.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Let me add my condolences...

My sister in law lives in woodbridge... Now I know I won't get me car serviced when I am down there.

I don't know if the dealer has a legal responsibility, but they certainly have a moral one. (And I agree with the others that it is likely an inside job, but how do you prove it? Especially if the finger prints are from someone who works there, they can say they were working on your car!!!)

I hope it all works out.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Man, whoever stole the wheels will be surprised if they try to fit them on anything other than a 04+ TL. And the car was in possession of the dealership, noit some 3rd party parking lot. They parked the car there, and they should be responcible. They also have insurance to cover their own asses in these situations, regardless of who actually did it, they had your keys. If they give you shit, then they are scum bags and I would tell my insurance the whole story, let their big time lawyers give that dealer hell. Also, speak to a lawyer, they would know better of who is responcible and how to go about being taken care of.

As for the car itself, i think it looks cosmetic, wasn't like they took it for a joy ride, just change what was damaged, get some nerw wheels and don't sweat it. Nows your chance to get some of the new Liquid Graphite Inspyres, those would look sweet on your car.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by rondog
Man, whoever stole the wheels will be surprised if they try to fit them on anything other than a 04+ TL. And the car was in possession of the dealership, noit some 3rd party parking lot. They parked the car there, and they should be responcible. They also have insurance to cover their own asses in these situations, regardless of who actually did it, they had your keys. If they give you shit, then they are scum bags and I would tell my insurance the whole story, let their big time lawyers give that dealer hell. Also, speak to a lawyer, they would know better of who is responcible and how to go about being taken care of.

As for the car itself, i think it looks cosmetic, wasn't like they took it for a joy ride, just change what was damaged, get some nerw wheels and don't sweat it. Nows your chance to get some of the new Liquid Graphite Inspyres, those would look sweet on your car.
well... I will be ordering some new rims from you one way or another.... May have to look into those Liquid Graphite...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

thats fu#%ed up.
They should definately cover everything since it was on their premises. They have insurance for things like this. I know when the dealership scratched up my car, they told me that if anything ever happens to anyone's car while on their watch in their lot that they have insurance to cover for any repairs.
If you had RonJon inspyres then it shouldnt be hard to find since I always tell people that they are very rare rims outside of Acurazine.

Good luck and I hope things work out for the best.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Damn man, that is painful to look at.

Good Luck with the resolution, please let us know how you make out.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM
How may I help you.....?

Thanks for all the comments guys... Much appreciated... I will talk to this yahoo GM, my insurance company, the cops, and Acura CAre tomorrow...

I was mostly concerned about finding out what people have heard from dealerships when a car is damaged while they are in possesion. Sounds like I just need to be a dick tomorrow and make the fuckers fix it completely..

hmm.. wonder if I could get them to order the RonJon body kit as a replacement since they have to do the aero skirts anyway... lol
Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Thats crazy man..Always loved your car since it was the unique green like mine. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmbnova
They claim that the car was on the lot, locked but I didnt see any evidence that the door was jimmied so who knows...

I have to believe that they are liable whether they are after market rims or not... shouldnt make a difference.. If I didnt give them my car, itnever would have happened...

well just have to wait and see.... if they dont fix it and I have to go through my own insurance, I will be supremly pissed off.. I would get rid of the car and NOT get another Acura

I can't justify the money for a type S when the new 09 is coming out in just a year and a half...

this shit just makes me fucking depressed.....
I don't think they are technically liable unless they were negligent. I figure they would probably replace the factory rims as they have those readily available and can eat that cost a lost easier than writing a check to an after market vendor.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Instructor

if the dealership gives you trouble, we got some lawyer on the forum including I. So i'm pretty sure they dealership doesn't want lawyers all over them for onsite damages
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry to hear jeff! i understand, i probably wouldnt want the car back after seeing it like that and the dealership should take full responsibility. ouch!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ahhh, this sucks so bad. I actually cringed and felt sick when I opened the thread at first.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you eventually get the car fixed (by them, free of charge) and find out whoever did this. I too, think it was an inside job due to the fact that it was in their lot and the Acura battery used, even though someone could've broke into the lot and just used a battery that was laying by the dumpster or something.

Like pekkieboyz said, if they are trying to give you the run-around, there are plenty of lawyers here that I'm sure wouldn't mind helping a fellow AZ member out .
Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
damn that sucks bro....those dumb ass' didn't even take your calipers though....might as well since your there....u can sell those on black market fast....ammature theives....but i dont see why the dealer wouldn't pay for any damages...they have insurance for things like this...
Old 08-05-2007, 09:32 PM
TL N YA

Damm i hate that!

I have always loved the way your car looks, and with the RonJon inspyres she, looks sweet! What other cars will those rims fit? I'll keep an out for them!
Can't wait to see somebody with them!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm your huckleberry!

The dealership is NOT responsible for theft or any damage caused to your car unless an employee damaged your car. I am sorry this happened to you. However, you will probably have to call your insurance company. My car got broken into last month at the grocery store. Are the responsible? Unfortunately not.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I think they will own up to the damage to the car def...

I don't know however if they will be willing to buy you new aftermarket rims and tires/// That will be your biggest challenge.

Police have to be involved, maybe this has happened in the past with this dealer which will only stregthen your case...

I wonder what the theif has instore for those rims? He can't put them on EBAY, or sell them on here, so he pretty much has very few options.

I wonder how many sets RonDog has sold of them?

Anyways good luck and make sure to explore all avenues with the dealer, police, your insurance and maybe even a lawyer.....

One last thing, i would get with the police first and ask them who is at fault in your state and any other details before speaking to the dealer about compensation.. Also your insurance company could help with this do both prior to speaking to the dealer

Quick Reply: Vandals - Rim Stolen Car f-ed up... Pics / Help