3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with lack of power/surging in hot weather...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Those with lack of power/surging in hot weather...

So this subject has been ongoing in a few threads, namely the "valve chatter" thread started years ago.

All cars lose power in hotter weather, it's normal. This thread is not about those cars. This is about the TLs that surge and will barely move out of their own way in higher temps. I'm talking about flooring it and barely being able to keep up with traffic. Having to shift manually in the auto because it has nothing under 4,000 rpm. The car hesitating and surging under acceleration. I can hear the induction noise so I know the throttle is open but it just makes no power above about 78 degrees ambient... or maybe it was 68 degrees. It was like someone flipped a switch and it lost 100hp. It literally takes around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to accelerate normally in the summer.

In the past, I've had success with raising the octane with a mix of 109 unleaded and 91 to get a minimum mixture of 96 octane. It still was not perfect but this was the best "solution". Everything else has been tried from thermostat to plugs to fuel brand to TPS, IAT, EGR, etc.

The one common factor that's been here since the car started this summer time behavior around '07 or '08 is the Optima battery. The stock one lasted about a year (or two, can't remember). The Optima was installed over the winter a long time ago but it was never a great battery (I hate Optimas) and after being run completely dead early on it never quite recovered completely. I procrastinated getting a new battery until it finally started worrying me the car was not going to start this last winter.

I replaced it with a Sears Diehard Platinum which is an AGM battery made by Enersys. The exact same battery is also sold under the Odyssey label. It's a great battery and the exact same battery re-branded as a Sears instead of an Odyssey is about $100 cheaper. So enough about the type of battery. As it started getting hotter this year, I noticed that although the car was losing power, it was a more normal loss of power. I didn't get my hopes up because I've gotten them up many times before only to be let down. So as temps climbed, the car continued to run normal. I didn't want to say anything until we had at least a few weeks of high temps to be sure. The only thing that's changed is the battery. I've done nothing else to the car.

So as of now, I can say that at least into the 90s, the car for the first time since it was 2 years old behaves normal. No more surging and huge loss of power. It drives as it should and it's been consistent on every hot day so far. To clarify, battery connections were checked several times over the years, it was not the connections but the battery itself.

I'm not saying everyone has to go out and get a $200 battery but if you're having these issues as I know some people have been and you've tried everything with no luck, replace the battery especially if you're still on the stock one or if you know battery performance has degraded. This one "mod" has made me go from wanting to sell the car each summer to enjoying it year round again.

If the car goes back to running like crap at some point this summer, I'll update this thread but we've had quite a few days in the 90s so far and I'm pretty confident it's fixed this time. We'll see what happens when it gets over 100 degrees.
The following 6 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Acura_Dude (06-09-2012), Inaccurate (06-10-2012), JmannTLs03 (06-09-2012), jsonkimz (06-25-2012), LoveMyTL-S (09-15-2013), TrustinHFDJ (12-05-2012) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I hate the weather out here... When it's 80 degrees at 5AM, theres something wrong!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Could a faulty/weak battery really be the true cause of this "loss" of power? Maybe swapping the battery reseted the ECU which provided the true power? But it seems like you know what you're talking about so you would've probably already manually reset the ECU :/.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Cool, although it has been hot here I haven't had this problem, yet -knock on wood-.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I hate cars -

that could be a very plausible explanation. one of the misconceptions by a lot of people is that most if not all car batteries lose power during the cold months. I did a lot of reading and found out that heat is actually one main cause of degrading battery life. so it is quite possible a good battery (I normally swap out batteries after two years, regardless of the condition) would alleviate these loss of power.

I have had to endure this power loss over the past 6 years, but the power loss was more of what you described as "normal". its not like I suddenly lost 100hp and the car became an anchor or something. it just ran poorly during the summer months.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Race Director

heat kills a battery faster.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks a Million for posting this, I have a 2003 TL-S and was gonna trade it in for a 07-08.

Sometimes when I turn the car on, it wont start or it will start up very weak and then turn off...I have to give it a litttle gas for it to stay on.
Everything in the car is new, so i was getting really worried about this.

(First car) well beside my crappy dodge stratus that isnt even worthy of talking about.

Ugh cars and the headaches they give.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Correlation does not equal causation. If you had a voltage meter and checked the voltage of the old battery in hot conditions vs cold conditions then you might have the data that you need to form this assumption. Maybe the old battery would get so hot that it was causing problems? I doubt that's the case though if the battery was starting the car just fine.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Race Director

I hope someone else will chime in when they replace their battery with just a regular one, $200 seems like A LOT for a battery.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Im having the same issue in mine although i replaced my battery with an optima red top just 4-5 months ago. I was thinking that maybe i should replace my AEM V2's air filter as well just in case.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JJH
Correlation does not equal causation. If you had a voltage meter and checked the voltage of the old battery in hot conditions vs cold conditions then you might have the data that you need to form this assumption. Maybe the old battery would get so hot that it was causing problems? I doubt that's the case though if the battery was starting the car just fine.
Thanks for that but you're basing everything on assumptions. You assume voltage wasn't checked. You assume I said cold conditions killed the battery. You assume I said the heat caused a voltage drop causing the drivability issues. You assume if the battery starts the car it's fine.

Battery power drops off in cold conditions. Starting requirements are higher in cold conditions. See how this might be a problem with a marginal battery? Regardless, as I stated, car ran fine in the winter but it was about the leave me stranded.

Hot conditions will shorten the life of the battery but output is at it's highest in the summer and starting requirements are lower as well. Regardless, the battery can start the car and still show low voltage when running even with the alternator putting out.

Extensive testing has been performed over many years. The battery fixed the problem in the end. The past 4 summers have been miserable when I had a crappy battery. The problem is gone after replacing the battery for the first time in over 4 years. Would you like me to explain how important full voltage is and why it can cause the problems I was experiencing especially in the summer?

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams

I hope someone else will chime in when they replace their battery with just a regular one, $200 seems like A LOT for a battery.
Yeah, a $200 battery isn't necessary, there are many good batteries in the $100 range. I got this one because it's an AGM battery, has a huge reserve capacity, great output, can't leak, and it's basically a "$300" battery selling for $200. The warranty is 4 years free replacement plus 100 months pro-rated so it's unlikely I'll ever have to buy another battery again and if I do, $200 every 5-6 years isn't too bad. I have an aftermarket system which is very efficient but also has the potential to draw up to 2,000w at full tilt. I went from less than 5 minutes of run time with the engine off to over 30 minutes so far without even cranking over slower. The Optima had been toast for a long time and it was never that good to begin with.

But to clarify, if someone else was having this issue, a $200 battery is not needed to fix it, any new battery will do the job. I added this line in the OP just so people wouldn't think I was saying a $200 battery was necessary. "I'm not saying everyone has to go out and get a $200 battery but if you're having these issues as I know some people have been and you've tried everything with no luck, replace the battery especially if you're still on the stock one or if you know battery performance has degraded."

For the ones suggesting resetting the ECU was the cause, it's been done about 50 times in the past.

So again, this won't cure normal summertime power loss. If you're wondering if your car falls into the same category as mine, it probably doesn't. The car driving this badly in the summer would cause most people to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. It's not a subtle problem. This is only for a handful of TLs, most of which posted in the valve chatter thread with this problem. I identified the problem years ago, it was a matter of how to fix it. The car ran lean and detonated badly in the summer on premium fuel. One summer I ran 100 octane and it drove much better since it cured the detonation but it still had some surging due to the lean condition. The problem is, the ECU was not seeing a lean condition, I had to drive it normally on the dyno with a sniffer to detect it. I also didn't put a whole lot of weight on the dyno results post catalytic converter but coupled with everything else it was another clue. I knew it was running lean because it drove like it was running lean but the ECU showed a normal AF ratio on the scanner. Most likely reference voltage was off.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
rockstar143 (06-09-2012), Undying Dreams (06-29-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
What size/series battery are you using?

The Optima yellowtop (35) seems to be less than $200, unlike the Diehard.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gwiffer
What size/series battery are you using?

The Optima yellowtop (35) seems to be less than $200, unlike the Diehard.
I think I got a 35 instead of a 24 this time but I'll have to check. You can't compare any Optima to a Diehard Platinum. If the Optima was $100 I would still pick the Platinum. In fact, I would choose any one of the many $100 batteries over the Optima. Optimas are overpriced, living on their past reputation. Once they were bought out, quality went downhill quickly. 7-8 years ago, they were good. I had one of their old batteries last over 7 years in the extremely hot GN engine bay until I gave it away. Not the case anymore.

Between me and my father, we went through over 10 Optimas in a few years in various cars. One of which was a GN with the battery in the trunk so heat wasn't much of a factor. Several friends with BMWs and Mercedes with the batteries in the trunk went through Optimas quickly. In all cases, switching to a regular battery was the cure. The one I put in my TL (knowing better) lasted for a while but runtime with the engine off was worse than the stock battery and after the first year it was always making me nervous it wasn't going to start the car. The fact that they charge a premium price for a worse than average battery makes the decision to not buy one easy.

I would never tell anyone they NEED an expensive battery but if they're going to spend more money on a premium battery, Optima is not the one you want.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
As you know i might be the guy complaining the most about this problem and so many parts i have changed and nothing.... Funny thing is that i do have an optima yellow top in my car ....

Which exact battery did you purchase??
Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
As you know i might be the guy complaining the most about this problem and so many parts i have changed and nothing.... Funny thing is that i do have an optima yellow top in my car ....

Which exact battery did you purchase??
Sears Diehard Platinum. It's their only AGM battery. You can find more detailed specs if you search for it's Odyssey counterpart.

Did you have the issues before the Optima?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had this battery for a long time so i cant really remember... Im gonna give it a try anyways, i can always return it ...
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

If it does fixes it then we'll know for sure. Thanks to you my man.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Two summers in the Bossier City and Dallas summer heat. Heat soaking 8-10 hours/day in the base parking lot. Never had a problem. OEM battery.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

If it does fixes it then we'll know for sure. Thanks to you my man.
I really hope it fixes your problem. You sound as frustrated as I have been and your problem from your previous posts sounds identical. Looking forward to your results but don't throw the Optima away yet lol.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Two summers in the Bossier City and Dallas summer heat. Heat soaking 8-10 hours/day in the base parking lot. Never had a problem. OEM battery.
Good. Maybe we can get the other 500,000 TLs that also have no problems in the summer to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
johnfilice (10-05-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I really hope it fixes your problem. You sound as frustrated as I have been and your problem from your previous posts sounds identical. Looking forward to your results but don't throw the Optima away yet lol.
I didnt throw it away but it started leaking recently and today when i opened the hood to replace it with the new battery there was a lot of acid around the negative terminal.... So i replaced it, had to get new tie down because the original ones i think i had cut down at one point. So far so good, it cranks much easier and feels good. Even though tonight it was very humid and i had the car idle a lot and no power extreme power loss. So yes so far so good, lets see how it will hold up in the next few days...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Thanks for this thread, matt...please do keep us posted
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Good. Maybe we can get the other 500,000 TLs that also have no problems in the summer to chime in.
I also haven't experienced this problem in hot weather. Since our cars and operating conditions are identical in every way, you must be full of shit.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anthracite_ftw
I also haven't experienced this problem in hot weather. Since our cars and operating conditions are identical in every way, you must be full of shit.
I guess the heat has more effect on your brain then your car.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I guess the heat has more effect on your brain then your car.
Maybe he was being sarcastic
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe i was being sarcastic too
johnfilice (10-05-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I did not have any issues last summer but I recently had to charge my current battery over-night last week. Think one of the relay's I installed may have been culprit.

If I have to jump my battery 1 more time I will buy a new one. That sears one sounds decent as I also have owned 2 optimas. The yellow top I was very disappointed in and I actually had no complaints with the red top.

Good thread.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sauceja
I did not have any issues last summer but I recently had to charge my current battery over-night last week. Think one of the relay's I installed may have been culprit.

If I have to jump my battery 1 more time I will buy a new one. That sears one sounds decent as I also have owned 2 optimas. The yellow top I was very disappointed in and I actually had no complaints with the red top.

Good thread.
Feel your overhead console and see if it's warm. The HFL going out is very common and will run the battery dead overnight.
sauceja (06-12-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

I didnt throw it away but it started leaking recently and today when i opened the hood to replace it with the new battery there was a lot of acid around the negative terminal.... So i replaced it, had to get new tie down because the original ones i think i had cut down at one point. So far so good, it cranks much easier and feels good. Even though tonight it was very humid and i had the car idle a lot and no power extreme power loss. So yes so far so good, lets see how it will hold up in the next few days...
Which battery did you end up getting? I hope this works for your car but I got my hopes up so many times over the past few years for a day or two and then it would go back to running like crap.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Same like yours i believe... It was the 35.. For 219 die hard platinum. I dont wanna jinx anything but the car drives much better in general more responsive and finally there is acceleration below 2000 rpm. There is no sign of power loss yet. I just hope so much that it stays this way. You are a genious !!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Same like yours i believe... It was the 35.. For 219 die hard platinum. I dont wanna jinx anything but the car drives much better in general more responsive and finally there is acceleration below 2000 rpm. There is no sign of power loss yet. I just hope so much that it stays this way. You are a genious !!
Don't say that yet lol. In a few days you might be calling me a jerk for getting your hopes up.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't say that yet lol. In a few days you might be calling me a jerk for getting your hopes up.
na na today i went to a croatian community gathering which was like an hour away from my house with mixed highway and local driving, some uphills as well. It was me and my wife with her made of honor, cant say we were to heavy but i do have a system in the trunk which is kept to a minimum but there is weight none the less. To my point ... the car never felt lighter

Driving 60mph seemed smooth and a nicely flowing. I can tell on the comptech exhaust if something is up but in this case it was in sync and it was beautiful driving the car. I actually didnt mind having more people in my car

I was also paying attention to the rpm's needle, noticed a change there too. much more responsive to my input.

Going back i was afraid it would be different but the drive back home was exact as going there.

It was very humid today... but everything turned out good, even croatia won against ireland in the UEFA 2012 european cup match.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Maid of Honor.
Hmm...so you guys have me picking up a Die Hard next time my battery goes out then. Right now I have a huge 1000 CA Bosch...not sure what "type" of battery it is but seems to get the job done.

J.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea my english is not at its best sometimes hej the battery works so who cares !
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Interesting. Subscribed. I have the same battery as you Matt but I got it a few months ago while the temps have not been so high. I wonder how it will perform based on what your saying.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I always buy the highest cranking amps in a battery. Because I like the current and I'm weird. It's like tires. I hate crap tires.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
I always buy the highest cranking amps in a battery. Because I like the current and I'm weird. It's like tires. I hate crap tires.
That's not the way to choose a battery.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ggesq
Interesting. Subscribed. I have the same battery as you Matt but I got it a few months ago while the temps have not been so high. I wonder how it will perform based on what your saying.
If you weren't experiencing a huge power loss with the old battery, you're not going to see any improvements. But it is a great battery in many ways. With the warranty it has, I just can't imagine ever having to buy another battery, at least not for full price. If you do see improvements, I would love to know about it. On my GN I installed a resistor that bumped alternator voltage up to 14.9v. It made the car feel a little more responsive even though that was not the purpose of it. I wonder if the TL can benefit from a small voltage boost even if everything else is ok. I'm guessing no but you never know.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
If I get a warranty and high cranking amps, I'm happy. I've never had a problem with low power as a result from a battery, like what u described. I've been driving for years. That's not to say u have not encountered a problem.. but the next time I get a battery it will like be at Walmart or some auto store ..and with high cranking amps and all batteries have warranties so I'm good.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
If I get a warranty and high cranking amps, I'm happy. I've never had a problem with low power as a result from a battery, like what u described. I've been driving for years. That's not to say u have not encountered a problem.. but the next time I get a battery it will like be at Walmart or some auto store ..and with high cranking amps and all batteries have warranties so I'm good.
Chad, I don't care about your battery criteria. Higher CCA also makes a lead acid plate battery more fragile all else being equal. Your input is not needed or welcome. Regardless my last two batteries have been around 1,000CCA so it's all irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Those with lack of power/surging in hot weather...