Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Thermostat

Hey I posted this question in the electronics section but nobody there seems to know

I am thinking about using a higher temp thermostat in the car... Stock is 170℉ but I have seen an alternate one at 180℉. I want better heat in the car during winter basically but not if it would adversely affect my engine components. Would a 200℉ stat harm anything?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
fans are going to be kicking on like crazy.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
fans are going to be kicking on like crazy.

Good point, but those can be adjusted cant they?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemk07
Good point, but those can be adjusted cant they?
Yeah, they're kicked on by the thermostat !
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
There is a sensor. Do you have hondata?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey I posted this question in the electronics section but nobody there seems to know

I am thinking about using a higher temp thermostat in the car... Stock is 170℉ I have seen an alternate one at 180℉. It is probably the same as OEM o I want better heat in the car during winter basically but not if it would adversely affect my engine components. Would a 200℉ stat harm anything?
It only begins to start to crack open at 169-176F, Fully open at 194F - Which is like most Honda/Acura Thermostats. (attachment is for a Type S)

You can control fan activation if you have Flashpro.

Stick to OEM Thermostat, there is no reason to be changing the temp rate on thermostats. Everything in the motor is engineered operate at that temperature. In any event whether it is inadequate cooling (overheating) or heating problems, you should fix the source of the issue, changing the thermostat is a Band-Aid fix on what could be a larger problem.

If you aren't having proper heat from the heater core, have you pulled the Thermostat out? Most have fail-safe so when something goes wrong they become stuck open. If this is the case, that is your problem. A stuck thermostat will make it struggle to maintain operating temperature, especially in cold climates like you're experiencing now. Is the fan operating properly? cycling on/off at idle?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
coolant.pdf (41.1 KB, 63 views)
EvilVirus (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
It only begins to start to crack open at 169-176F, Fully open at 194F - Which is like most Honda/Acura Thermostats. (attachment is for a Type S)

You can control fan activation if you have Flashpro.

Stick to OEM Thermostat, there is no reason to be changing the temp rate on thermostats. Everything in the motor is engineered operate at that temperature. In any event whether it is inadequate cooling (overheating) or heating problems, you should fix the source of the issue, changing the thermostat is a Band-Aid fix on what could be a larger problem.

If you aren't having proper heat from the heater core, have you pulled the Thermostat out? Most have fail-safe so when something goes wrong they become stuck open. If this is the case, that is your problem. A stuck thermostat will make it struggle to maintain operating temperature, especially in cold climates like you're experiencing now. Is the fan operating properly? cycling on/off at idle?
​​​​​
I did replace it, burped it. Heat works fine, it is just not as hot as some other vehicles. Never notice though until its cold out.

I dont have flashpro yet but may some day if i ever get to modding this thing... Would like to do a Sc or turbo. Would the dealer be able to adjust it?

Last edited by stevemk07; 02-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
​​​​​
I did replace it, burped it. Heat works fine, it is just not as hot as some other vehicles. Never notice though until its cold out.

I dont have flashpro yet but may some day if i ever get to modding this thing... Would like to do a Sc or turbo. Would the dealer be able to adjust it?

How cold is it where you live? What is your typical driving procedure/distance? Do you let the heat/blower fan run as soon as you turn the car on or something?

TL's seem to have the fury of the sun.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if the valve in the heater hose running to the heater core isn't fully opening? There is usually a cable running to this valve located at the rear of the firewall, that can get bent or sometimes disconnected. However that cable/wire type setup might be different on the TL since it's more integrated with electronic controls now.

Dealer cannot adjust Fan activation. They would replace a sensor If it failed. The fan usually is a separate circuit where the fan temp sensor has fixed activation/deactivation points ( simply acts as a switch in the circuit). If the ECU does control it on the TL, then its set in the OEM firmware and the dealer cannot adjust that. Hondata is the only way. You could but a universal relay harness with temp sensor to activate the fan manually, bypassing the OEM circuit. You can get ones that have a knob to adjust activation temp. I don't advise doing this tho as changing the Fan temp activation is not the correct solution.

Both my TLs have always had intense heat and really most Honda's I've ever owned, something must be wrong. Did you replace the Thermostat with a OEM thermostat? I don't advise using anything other then OEM when it comes to thermostats
Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I agree something must be wrong. My TL heat blows as hot as any other vehicle I have owned. My guess is the HCV or one of the blend doors aren't functioning correctly.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
How cold is it where you live? What is your typical driving procedure/distance? Do you let the heat/blower fan run as soon as you turn the car on or something?

TL's seem to have the fury of the sun.
Yes i warm up the car and engine at same time...

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
I wonder if the valve in the heater hose running to the heater core isn't fully opening? There is usually a cable running to this valve located at the rear of the firewall, that can get bent or sometimes disconnected. However that cable/wire type setup might be different on the TL since it's more integrated with electronic controls now.

Dealer cannot adjust Fan activation. They would replace a sensor If it failed. The fan usually is a separate circuit where the fan temp sensor has fixed activation/deactivation points ( simply acts as a switch in the circuit). If the ECU does control it on the TL, then its set in the OEM firmware and the dealer cannot adjust that. Hondata is the only way. You could but a universal relay harness with temp sensor to activate the fan manually, bypassing the OEM circuit. You can get ones that have a knob to adjust activation temp. I don't advise doing this tho as changing the Fan temp activation is not the correct solution.

Both my TLs have always had intense heat and really most Honda's I've ever owned, something must be wrong. Did you replace the Thermostat with a OEM thermostat? I don't advise using anything other then OEM when it comes to thermostats
Used a motorad. It works fine.

Originally Posted by Jackass
I agree something must be wrong. My TL heat blows as hot as any other vehicle I have owned. My guess is the HCV or one of the blend doors aren't functioning correctly.
Hmmmm... I had a glance at the hcv and it looks to b in good condition... Heat works at all settings....
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe i just need to do a good flush of the system....
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Hmmmm... I had a glance at the hcv and it looks to b in good condition... Heat works at all settings....
The only thing you can tell by "looking" is that it's not leaking and that the cable is still connected....
Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Have you guys who say there is really good heat felt that way in -5℉ temps?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
I recorded 135F with an oven thermostat stuck in the driver's side vent in my 07 V6 Accord. You have something wrong in the cooling system. I live outside Chicago and during the winter, the heat gets to the point that I'm sweating in the car. Don't mess with the cooling of the engine, you can get into real trouble doing that.
Majofo (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I think my heat is working properly... Its just not as hot as the Ram.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I think my heat is working properly... Its just not as hot as the Ram.

Thanks for your help everyone.
To prove a point, get a kitchen thermometer and check the temps across both vehicles. Very curious what the results will be. If I get bored this weekend, I may do the same across our two cars.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jackass
To prove a point, get a kitchen thermometer and check the temps across both vehicles. Very curious what the results will be. If I get bored this weekend, I may do the same across our two cars.
​​​​​​

Haha ok Ill do it and report back... Not sure if i have a thermometer but if not I was thinking of getting one for cooking chicken wings (oil temp)
Old 02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok I tested my heat using a meat thermometer in the vent. 142℉ was the hottest it would go with fan speed on 4 bars and car fully warmed up (i.e. running for about an hour with some driving). I dont have the truck here atm so will report that temp later on... I am guessing it will be around 170℉ or higher but will know for sure soon.

btw, it is about 16℉ outside right now.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
What kind of engine do you have in the ram tho? V8?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GreenSpades
What kind of engine do you have in the ram tho? V8?

​​​​​​Yes, 5.7. It also has a much bigger cooling system.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Alright got a reading in the Ram now. 157℉ is where the needle settled. Its a little warmer out today... 27℉. Setting 3 on the fan speed.

I guess the TL isnt that much cooler. I think maybe because the cabin of a truck is smaller it takes less time to get it feeling comfortable whwn its really cold... Also the leather in the TL is super cold for a while... Like an ice box.

15℉ is still a significant difference though. I also think my TL is working properly, so I know this is not an issue for most ppl on this forum but I live in Canada and it gets very cold at times... On those really cold days it would be nice to have more heat on tap as it has trouble keeping up with the loss of heat through the windows etc.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Alright got a reading in the Ram now. 157℉ is where the needle settled. Its a little warmer out today... 27℉. Setting 3 on the fan speed.

I guess the TL isnt that much cooler. I think maybe because the cabin of a truck is smaller it takes less time to get it feeling comfortable whwn its really cold... Also the leather in the TL is super cold for a while... Like an ice box.

15℉ is still a significant difference though. I also think my TL is working properly, so I know this is not an issue for most ppl on this forum but I live in Canada and it gets very cold at times... On those really cold days it would be nice to have more heat on tap as it has trouble keeping up with the loss of heat through the windows etc.

Edit it creeped up tp 159℉ while i was typing....
Old 02-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Race Director

What are the thermostat specs for the truck?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
What are the thermostat specs for the truck?
It has a 203℉ t-stat. TL is 170℉.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Race Director

It has a 203℉ t-stat. TL is 170℉.
Well, that would explain most if not all of the difference, correct?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, that would explain most if not all of the difference, correct?
Yes I believe that is a big part of the difference. Not so much concerned about it now though as the temps are pretty good this year and its supposed to be above freezing tomorrow actually. Very strange for this time of year.

I will also need something to adjust the fan settings if I do try a higher temp stat... But probably wont bother till the fall.

Last edited by stevemk07; 02-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Race Director

Ok I tested my heat using a meat thermometer in the vent. 142℉ was the hottest it would go with fan speed on 4 bars and car fully warmed up (i.e. running for about an hour with some driving). I dont have the truck here atm so will report that temp later on... I am guessing it will be around 170℉ or higher but will know for sure soon.

btw, it is about 16℉ outside right now.
Just checked mine. It ran at ~145°F, so pretty much in line with your results...
Majofo (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Keep the TL temp on HIGH. That plastic heater valve may be getting old. I get cooked in my TL i have to crack the sunroof sometimes.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Just checked mine. It ran at ~145°F, so pretty much in line with your results...
Thats good to know, as most likely nothing is seriously wrong with my cooling/heating system. I think that in warmer temperatures my vent temp could reach 145℉, perhaps even now at slower fan speeds? What was your fan speed?

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Keep the TL temp on HIGH. That plastic heater valve may be getting old. I get cooked in my TL i have to crack the sunroof sometimes.
Oh I do when its really cold out.... Sometimes I try a lower setting to see if it gets any hotter but that is not the case. I believe the hcv is working properly though it is possible that it is not opening as much as it should... But if you test your heat we can have a good idea of whether this is the case?

Last edited by stevemk07; 02-13-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

It just occured to me that I have an aftermarket windshield. I only know this because it definitely is not the same as the one on ny old TL. Actually it got a chip in it shortly after I bought it. Got it fixed at speedy ag because if it eventually needed replacing my money would go towards that cost. Could be part of my problem too.... Although, the dent is barely noticable and it has held up for a year now. Maybe it is an inferior glass and just cannot keep heat in? Do they make such glass? Lol