Sponsored by:

Should I buy this '07 TL-Type S 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I guess you'll never own a Unicorn!
Yeah man and guess what? I didn't pay $4k over book value for it either.

Why don't you go back to soliciting parts for sale on every single thread on the board? LOL LMAO
Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
I don't remember giving him bad advice. I remember telling him to go LOOK at the car after doing a carfax.

Some colors do have a factory markup....and even if they didn't.... they definitely call for a premium in the used car market. Laguna Seca Blue M3's. GPW S2000's. Etc etc.

I would pay more for a KBP than I would for a run of the mill gray one with tan interior or something.

Just like people pay more for LS blue M3's than they do JB ones.
That reply wasn't meant towards you.
It was for our unofficial "vendor"
Old 03-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Well...if paint doesn't matter to you, its a matter of opinion. It matters to most people.

Prestigious? What better OVERALL car can you buy for the price of a TLS? Reliability, features, ergonomics, driveablity, cost of ownership, etc.

A clapped out M5? An E55 that's gonna have massive issues? Is a 1995 BMW prestigeous?

How much does an air suspension or supercharger cost on a E55 to fix? I have a friend with a E55 AMG. If you try to compare reliability to that of a Honda...it'd be a bad argument.

I don't disagree that this particular car is overpriced....now that OP revealed its been crashed. But as far as the market goes, IF it were clean and well maintained, the seller does have a desirable colour combo and 6mt going for him.
IS350 comes to mind immediately, S2000, G35, 335i,
BTW I am talking about 2001+ e39 which are much nicer and way faster than a TL.

If you look hard enough you can definitely find a 2002 M5 for 12k with 100k
Also, how much is to fix a transmission and do the TB on the TL?

Both cars have cons and pros but on this board too many people get upset when someone says anything bad about the TL.
It's a nice car but it's not the ONLY car.
All cars break down and yes I agree BMW and Mercedes cost more to fix when they do but it's not fair to say they breakdown or have more issues than a TL.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Who said a TL-S was a super car? Why does McLaren or Lambo paint pull more money? Its just paint right?
The way you are acting, you sure seem butt hurt because someone thinks TL isn't a better car than M5 for the same price.
BTW McLaren and Lambo paint cost more on certain colors because of the finish and material.
They cost more from the FACTORY NOT JUST RESELL MARKET.

KBP COST SAME AS ANY OTHER COLOR WHEN IT WAS SOLD NEW.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Racer

OP Just to backup my claim here is a link:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...005242435.html

Feel free to do research on reliability, they're pretty good.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Racer

aaaaaand another one

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...013073374.html

Like I said these cars are not as prestigious some people make it out to be
Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
yungmoola15- I usually don't waste my time to respond to silliness but from other posts I've read of yours...all I can is you are immature and have a lot to learn
Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by YungMoola15
It doesn't matter, it's still a 10 year old car with 135k.

KBP didn't come with special powers or superior quality it's same car as any other TLS.

Don't give prospective buyers bad advice, the color doesn't justify the $4k premium whatsoever.
KBP cost the same brand new as did a black, white, red etc....

I haven't gotten into it with you, but I was the 1st one here to support and help you when you were new. I know enough about you to know that you usually don't spend a whole lot of money, which is fine, but you're wrong in this case. This doesn't pertain just to the 3rd gen TL, this is for almost any vehicle that is in demand from new to even MANY MANY years later. It mainly stems from NOT settling. We all know the 6MT with Navigation on 04-06 TL isn't a common option and most would wait to find what they want and pay MORE if it's worth it. The Type-s is even harder to find in a 6MT, and much harder when in blue or red. A private seller who knows what the demand for such a vehicle can sell it for higher. For example, my wife and I were looking at 2012+ ML63, I wanted Designo White Pearl, Wood grain interior, pano roof, tri-climate control and performance package. I searched nation wide and across the board, the white pearl with these packages vs the other colors, were priced much higher. Every Mercedes-Benz dealership we spoke to, say pearl white and the red are in the highest demand so most buyers will pay more for one. I have an immaculate 2004 TL. It's WDP, 6MT, NAVI , A-spec with a ton of goodies. I've gotten offers for my TL for 6-7K higher than book value and i'm not kidding either. I have one of the best well kept 2004 TL nation wide and I don't say it to brag it's because I do. Most that know my vehicle will offer more than book value because has the combinations most are looking for. I'm a firm believer in, if something comes across as a KBP TL-S 6MT with low mileage, extremely clean and well kept and the seller is asking 5K over book value, i'd pay the price knowing that I have a rare gem with peace of mind it hasn't been wrecked or neglected. Food for thought, its not always the best price, it's about the overall value to the person buying.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Yungmoola15 FIY James (JTS97Z28) TL-S sold for $24k back in 2015, yes 2 years ago https://acurazine.com/forums/member-...eld-il-928899/. I understand you don't want to spend that much money but it doesn't mean someone out there won't. I normally comment on people listing price and that just respect, if I think the price is too high for me just leave it alone. I was taught if you got nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all. When I buy a car I do not drop low ball either, I reasonable with my offer because the condition and thing that need immediate attention. I did not know how rare the MRP Type S is until I tried to order the Aspec kit the local dealer told me they had very limited piece because the color, i though they just lazy to search so I contact Bruce here and he also confirm at the time the only Type S apsec in MRP is the front lip only. BTW those M5 is terrrible when they getting old the clutch replacement alone already cost $5000. Just youtube it and you will see alot of E46 M5 owner give you a list of repair cost almost equivalent as the car itself which the image often reach close to $30k for a running right M5.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
LMAo...bringing in e39 M5 to a TL discussion
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Somebody likes BMW.... LOL
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
he still young, let him learn.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I love BMW's and have an e39 M5 in a very rare color and color does play into price but also is balanced against mileage, records, condition etc.

While he is right you can pick one up for around the same price as this TL its just not one that will likely be well sorted.

OP - sorry for the off topic but my caution to you is if you dont/cant/or wont turn wrenches then looking at the likes of an M5 or equivalent as YM suggests I would not recommend it. Good luck in your pursuit as I said this is the fun part the hunt...keep that in mind this should be fun!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Instructor

No one here againt BMW ....I used to own E46 330CI ( ZHP package) . It is a solid machine. OK lets get back to the topic.

OP - Any good news ? My 07 TL Type S 6MT is arrived last Friday .
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No luck yet but being patient. Who knows, might not even end up with a TLS -_- Lookin at SI or g37x as well. Any body have experience with these cars and would like to give me their opinions? I know personally testing them myself would be best option but I'd like to get some input. Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Instructor

I don't think its really matter what we tell you now because you don't drive manual beside outside condition which you can see it in person.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Le7316
i Am not local ( in Oklahoma to be exact ) so I have to gamble man . If you can wait lets wait .... Do not rush to buy ...you are about to spend $12K not $1200 . Are you only looking locally or nation wide ? There are two cars ( silver and white ) on auto trader and looks like they in good shape so check that out . They are newly listed .

My black 07 Type S 6spd manual will be here this Friday
I think that I bought the white one that you were referencing, if it was in Florida lol. It was a white TL-S with a black interior, manual transmission with only 81k miles on it. When I picked it up, the salesman at the BMW dealership said that he had never seen anything like it...they had like 15 inquires on it in the 2 days that it was listed on Auto trader. Like a couple of people have mentioned in this thread, some times you just have to take a chance on a car if you feel good about it after doing your research. I had been looking for one for months. So far so good.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sweeT n Lo
I think that I bought the white one that you were referencing, if it was in Florida lol. It was a white TL-S with a black interior, manual transmission with only 81k miles on it. When I picked it up, the salesman at the BMW dealership said that he had never seen anything like it...they had like 15 inquires on it in the 2 days that it was listed on Auto trader. Like a couple of people have mentioned in this thread, some times you just have to take a chance on a car if you feel good about it after doing your research. I had been looking for one for months. So far so good.
congrats on ur new car .... and I ended up with the black one . Already start to mod lol
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Le7316
congrats on ur new car .... and I ended up with the black one . Already start to mod lol
Congrats to you as well. I hope to start modding soon myself ...just have to take care of some minor things on the car first.