3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline SI-1

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Redline SI-1

Hey all, I did a search before I posted this but couldn't find a consistent answer. I picked up a bottle of Redline SI-1 and wanted some feedback.

From what I've read, it's one of the better products on the market with one of the highest contents of PEA per oz. On sites like BobIsTheOilGuy there was generally good feedback. But I was looking for some feedback specific to our vehicles. On BobIsTheOilGuy there was some feedback that certain vehicles didn't like it and that some didn't notice a difference. My guess is a lot of that is based on the age and mileage of the vehicle as well. How do members on this forum find it affects their TLs?

Secondly, I was wondering what is the best way to run the SI-1? I figure I should put it in when I'm on the lower half of the tank, before I fill up, but should I run it in a short period of time (longer highway trip, what I've usually done with fuel additives), or is it better to sit in the gas in the engine? (Shorter trips with a few days in between)? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
I used, what was said to be, the AMG of fuel cleaners, Royal Purple. They consistently have over 4 out of 5 stars on all websites with people posting reviews so positive you might ask yourself if they were not paid. My TL is an 05 with 170K. Did I notice a difference? No. Not at all. Is my car the target audience for these types of products? It sure should be, high mileage, decade old...there should be some kind of gunk build up to get rid of, but the fact is, my fuel consumption was already excellent before the treatment, so I did not see an average improvement.

I was always skeptical about these products, so I made a simple test. I have a 5km stretch of road close by, so i made 2 back and forth laps under the same conditions, same speed, not going over 70km/h, let cruise control do most of the accelerating and do all tests when my fuel level was at 50%. Once before the additive was mixed in, one during the mix and once during the next tank. I had the same 7L/100km during all 3 tests. Absolutely no difference.

But don't take my word for it. We're talking about a 20$ product, test it out yourself. There have been some scientific tests, most of them were inconclusive, some of them showed a slight improvement, some showed the negative consequences of using something like this. When you have carbon build-up, and a piece breaks loose, hope for the best, you could end up with more than you've asked for
Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pat
I used, what was said to be, the AMG of fuel cleaners, Royal Purple. They consistently have over 4 out of 5 stars on all websites with people posting reviews so positive you might ask yourself if they were not paid. My TL is an 05 with 170K. Did I notice a difference? No. Not at all. Is my car the target audience for these types of products? It sure should be, high mileage, decade old...there should be some kind of gunk build up to get rid of, but the fact is, my fuel consumption was already excellent before the treatment, so I did not see an average improvement.

I was always skeptical about these products, so I made a simple test. I have a 5km stretch of road close by, so i made 2 back and forth laps under the same conditions, same speed, not going over 70km/h, let cruise control do most of the accelerating and do all tests when my fuel level was at 50%. Once before the additive was mixed in, one during the mix and once during the next tank. I had the same 7L/100km during all 3 tests. Absolutely no difference.

But don't take my word for it. We're talking about a 20$ product, test it out yourself. There have been some scientific tests, most of them were inconclusive, some of them showed a slight improvement, some showed the negative consequences of using something like this. When you have carbon build-up, and a piece breaks loose, hope for the best, you could end up with more than you've asked for

I think your experience is scientific enough....... I've always been skeptical of those products. especially seafoam
Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
I think your experience is scientific enough....... I've always been skeptical of those products. especially seafoam
Meh, maybe, maybe not. I was just so surprised to see so many people going crazy over it, like if this product saved their 1991 Corollas life, that I thought there must be some merit to those claims, but I had to try it myself, with some consistent test that I could control all variables and make them identical. I'm not saying this doesn't work, i'm saying it didn't work for me. I'll just keep using a low deposit, cleaner burn fuel like Shell V-Power, which uses a bit more additives than some other premium fuels and they also use friction modifiers.

Have I fallen victim to marketing? It's possible, but at least it's in the logic of "it's better to eat a bit of vegetables everyday than eat vegetables all day for 1 day"
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Redline SI-1 is a great fuel cleaner for almost all cars! I use it on the whole fleet as it keeps everything running great. Before adding in redline every 5000 miles, my 760's fuel gauge would go haywire and stop reading properly. 6 replaced sensors laters and I've learned that the redline keeps them from going bad.

I've consistently seen a 1-2MPG increase with my 760 and maybe 1 MPG with the Honda/Acura's.

Redline gives a slow cleaning compared to seafoam (though the intake line) which gives a much deeper clean. I had the 02 sensor light on, after a can of seafoam it was gone. Have 200K on the TL with redline use starting around 105K.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Racer

Thanks for the detailed insight @polish_pat. The only variable that may have been overlooked that I can see being a factor in your test is our MIDs. Unlike our US counterparts who got the MPG, we just have a single digit of L/100km. I really wish they would have put one digit after the decimal point, but it is what it is. That means our MID will read 7L/100km, when it's anywhere from 7.0L (33.6MPG), or 7.9L/100km (29.77MPG). There's enough variation in there to yield a difference that wouldn't be noticed unless calculated by hand after a fill up.

Meh, maybe, maybe not. I was just so surprised to see so many people going crazy over it, like if this product saved their 1991 Corollas life, that I thought there must be some merit to those claims, but I had to try it myself, with some consistent test that I could control all variables and make them identical. I'm not saying this doesn't work, i'm saying it didn't work for me. I'll just keep using a low deposit, cleaner burn fuel like Shell V-Power, which uses a bit more additives than some other premium fuels and they also use friction modifiers.

Have I fallen victim to marketing? It's possible, but at least it's in the logic of "it's better to eat a bit of vegetables everyday than eat vegetables all day for 1 day"
I don't think its victim to marketing. There is definitely a difference on fuel depending upon the distributor. The fuel terminals might be fewer than the number of companies, but when the trucks fill up to delivery fuel to gas stations, the additive blend added to the fuel is based upon the company. That's why you'll see better performance with Esso/Shell premium, as compared to a Suncor supplier and the like. I think I was reading a thread here where people were getting better performance with the 91 Octane Shell/Esso (Exxon) than the 94 Octane Petro Canada.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Redline SI-1 is a great fuel cleaner for almost all cars! I use it on the whole fleet as it keeps everything running great. Before adding in redline every 5000 miles, my 760's fuel gauge would go haywire and stop reading properly. 6 replaced sensors laters and I've learned that the redline keeps them from going bad.

I've consistently seen a 1-2MPG increase with my 760 and maybe 1 MPG with the Honda/Acura's.

Redline gives a slow cleaning compared to seafoam (though the intake line) which gives a much deeper clean. I had the 02 sensor light on, after a can of seafoam it was gone. Have 200K on the TL with redline use starting around 105K.
@csmeance, that's awesome to hear about your 760. Much cheaper than replacing the sensors. Do you use a full bottle every 5,000 miles?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vpasla1
Thanks for the detailed insight @polish_pat. The only variable that may have been overlooked that I can see being a factor in your test is our MIDs. Unlike our US counterparts who got the MPG, we just have a single digit of L/100km. I really wish they would have put one digit after the decimal point, but it is what it is.
Hack your navi, youll have 2 😉
Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Racer

Hack your navi, youll have 2 😉
My mistake. I have a non-nav and forgot that you have a lot more info with the nav.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by vpasla1

@csmeance, that's awesome to hear about your 760. Much cheaper than replacing the sensors. Do you use a full bottle every 5,000 miles?
Warranty picked up the tab on the sensors but it was honestly a headache to deal with every so often. I used a full bottle when the gas tank was empty, filled to a half tank since it was a much larger tank than the 3G TL and drove around.

I bought a case of 12 online after I realized it helped the fuel sensor for around $89 and have been slowly chipping away at it.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Warranty picked up the tab on the sensors but it was honestly a headache to deal with every so often. I used a full bottle when the gas tank was empty, filled to a half tank since it was a much larger tank than the 3G TL and drove around.

I bought a case of 12 online after I realized it helped the fuel sensor for around $89 and have been slowly chipping away at it.
That sounds like a great price for 12. Would be nice to find prices like that here in Canada.

I don't have any longer trips planned so I haven't been able to run the Redline SI-1 yet, but will report back with my results when I do.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Racer

To update. I didn't notice any significant difference with SI-1. I do however use only Top Tier 91 Octane gas as well. However for the amount it costs, I can't imagine it hurts to run a bottle through the fuel system couple of oil changes.
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (09-17-2016)