Questions on my A-spec suspension before I install

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Questions on my A-spec suspension before I install

I bought a new set of A-spec suspension (08W60-SEP-201B) and plan to install it in about a week or so. I have a couple questions.

First, on the rear springs there are rubber pieces wrapped around the spring at the top. See picture. Are these just for protection during shipment and supposed to be removed prior to installation or are they supposed to remain on the springs after they are installed? They seem like they would peel right off. Both rears have them, but the fronts don't. Maybe they prevent a clank if the spring compresses and touches?? I've not seen this on other springs I've installed on other cars before so I want to make sure.

Name:  image_zpsv7ypzmru.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  199.2 KB

Second, these came with two bags of nuts. I found another thread on here about them with pictures, but no one had an answer on what they were for. I'm pretty sure they aren't a mistake as suggested in the other thread. The nuts I received are the same. Neither bag has a part number on them. They just say Honda. Here's the link to the thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...nstall-921782/

One bag has 6 nuts. These are too big for the top hat flange bolts. I'm assuming they are for to replace the fork bolt nuts and rear lower flange nuts. I don't know why there would be 6 of these instead of 4. Does anyone know? It seems most people just re-use their original hardware. I'm probably going to replace the hardware that my FSM says should be replaced since it's not expensive.

The second bag of nuts has 2 locknuts in it. In the other thread it was said they were for the toe bolts. I'm pretty sure that is the case since the FSM says you should replace them anytime you adjust toe.

Also, both of my rear shocks are marked R for right. From what I've read on here, that's normal and I'm not too worried about it. The front's are marked L and R. Is this the way all 201B kits come? I wonder why they do that.

Thank you!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
I have Aspec suspension on my TL and I left the rubber pieces on.

For the hardware, reuse what you have and if you can replace some of the hardware with the pieces supplied in the kit do it. If you have some pieces left over that came with the kit, don't worry I had some left over hardware that I didn't use. Good call on replacing some of the hardware the FSM tells you to replace, if it's new I don't worry to much about it but it's nice to replace old hardware that has thousands of miles on it especially self locking type hardware. Although I can say I have used some hardware over with no issues, just make sure you torque it correctly.

Take your time with the rear stabilizer bar end links, use a PB blaster type lube and make sure your allen head hole is nice and clean so you don't strip it out when removing the end links, take your time removing the nut, back it of and then tighten it back up almost like taping a hole but reverse since you are cleaning off the grim and rust on the exposed portion of the threads.

Then have your alignment checked after your done, but it's not a big rush item IMO since it's not a drastic drop and all we can do is adjust toe on our cars, but toe eats up tires.
The following users liked this post:
Wharbone (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rubber padding has to be an isolator to prevent suspension noise, so leave them on. I've had cars without them and cars with either plastic or rubber, whatever came with should be left in place.
Wharbone (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Thank you! That answers my questions about it. Really appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Use this DIY if you need guidance:

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...-091-a-816065/

And if you don't have a good pry bar, get one. You can thank me later
Wharbone (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Use this DIY if you need guidance:

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...-091-a-816065/

And if you don't have a good pry bar, get one. You can thank me later
I've read through that thread several times now! Thanks for your input. I actually have the same craftsman prybar set you do.