Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer, Custom Grill & ShortRam Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer, Custom Grill & ShortRam Intake Question

Hey everyone, I tried to look and find some answers to some of my question but couldn't really find it. So I have 3 questions to ask.

1.) I have a 2007 Acura TL base model with Navigation. I bought a AVH-4200NEX Pioneer and got the double din kit from KrankIt. Is there any way I can get it install and able to keep my navigation on? Also when you take out the car battery you have to enter the passcode to get everything active again. Is there a way I can still enter the codes with my pioneer?

2.) I want to change out my stock intake but where I live rains a lot so I don't want to install cold air intake cause I don't want to hydrolock. What's the best short ram intake I should get?

3.) I want to install a custom front grill for my bumper but I also want to be able to have Acura emblem in it. If anyone have a custom front grill bumper with the Acura emblem on their TL's please post a picture of it so I can get some ideas.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Pride96
Hey everyone, I tried to look and find some answers to some of my question but couldn't really find it. So I have 3 questions to ask.

1.) I have a 2007 Acura TL base model with Navigation. I bought a AVH-4200NEX Pioneer and got the double din kit from KrankIt. Is there any way I can get it install and able to keep my navigation on? Also when you take out the car battery you have to enter the passcode to get everything active again. Is there a way I can still enter the codes with my pioneer?

2.) I want to change out my stock intake but where I live rains a lot so I don't want to install cold air intake cause I don't want to hydrolock. What's the best short ram intake I should get?

3.) I want to install a custom front grill for my bumper but I also want to be able to have Acura emblem in it. If anyone have a custom front grill bumper with the Acura emblem on their TL's please post a picture of it so I can get some ideas.
Originally Posted by mrkingstonvi
If you have Navi remember to install a 68 ohm resistor on Pin# 13 & 26 on the 26 pin grey plug from the back of the radio.

You can refer to this thread if you need some help as I did: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...io-car-866385/
2. Short rams are not the best for this platform as it suffers from engine heat soak. Based on what you say you might as well stay stock or just go ahead and get a Cold Air Intake. Just stay away from large puddles. If you have you go through a puddle just don't floor it. Throttle/acceleration causes the throttle body to open and "suck" air from the intake so obviously if you are driving in a puddle then you would hydro lock.

3. These would be your go to threads for ideas on grille modifications:
--> https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...s-pics-748647/
--> https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...s-here-618755/

Alternatively you can grab one of the C-Mod/Shark Mouth grilles from Bruce (AckTL05 on Acurazine). Here's the links:
--> Shark mouth style acura tl front grill Regular Paint-able Version (Comes flat black)
--> Shark mouth style acura tl front grill Carbon Fiber Version

All those grilles require cutting of your front bumper. There are some DIY threads on here as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrkingstonvi:
EvilVirus (10-24-2016), Pride96 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
I have a short ram and don't notice any negative effects of heat soak. Some cold air still gets in via the remaining old stock intake tube coming from the bumper. Aside from that, i definitely enjoy the new engine note and power. Not to mention extremely easy to remove since a ton of stuff is around that area. I have the injen nanoweb filter attached to some common short tube which is also very easy to clean and dries in minutes.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPanda
I have a short ram and don't notice any negative effects of heat soak. Some cold air still gets in via the remaining old stock intake tube coming from the bumper. Aside from that, i definitely enjoy the new engine note and power. Not to mention extremely easy to remove since a ton of stuff is around that area. I have the injen nanoweb filter attached to some common short tube which is also very easy to clean and dries in minutes.
I didn't say having a short ram gives you instant heat soak. I'm saying that whenever the TL suffers from heat soak due to an extremely hot day, etc then the placement of the short ram would not be in the most ideal location. It may affect performance more than where the normal CAI is positioned.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkingstonvi
I didn't say having a short ram gives you instant heat soak. I'm saying that whenever the TL suffers from heat soak due to an extremely hot day, etc then the placement of the short ram would not be in the most ideal location. It may affect performance more than where the normal CAI is positioned.
too add to what Mr.Kingston has said, the TL is VERY finicky with heat and timing. the ECU will pull back or retard timing in order to cope with heat.
data logs SHOW this information especially since the IAT is right next to throttle body.
The following users liked this post:
mrkingstonvi (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
too add to what Mr.Kingston has said, the TL is VERY finicky with heat and timing. the ECU will pull back or retard timing in order to cope with heat.
data logs SHOW this information especially since the IAT is right next to throttle body.
Definitely not noticable however IMO, unless you have these data logs to back up this claim. I redline my TL all day long, never noticed any power loss from retard or "pull back". And this is in hot humid +40*C weather all the way to minus -40*C Canadian weather.

Last edited by WDPanda; 10-24-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!