Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners manual queary

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
2007 Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Owners manual queary

been reading the manual, but don t see what i m looking for, i would like to find a maintenance schedule that states miles/km and/or time, for maintenance, instead of waiting for a light to pop up. have searched out a few on the net, but nothing that i am interested. like, oil changes, coolant changes, things along this line, i know about the tb and wp swap out. like all other mfg have a schedule in the manueal what to preform at what mileage. oh should mention 07 tl S auto

thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Waldo
been reading the manual, but don t see what i m looking for, i would like to find a maintenance schedule that states miles/km and/or time, for maintenance, instead of waiting for a light to pop up. have searched out a few on the net, but nothing that i am interested. like, oil changes, coolant changes, things along this line, i know about the tb and wp swap out. like all other mfg have a schedule in the manueal what to preform at what mileage. oh should mention 07 tl S auto

thanks
Because that's not how it works with our cars. You wait until the maintenance minder tells you. Even in the service manual used by Acura that's how it is.

Only exception is obviously if something is wrong under inspection.

There's a few points with set mileage or time:
-Oil if it has not be changed for 12 months
-Brake fluid if it has not be changed for 3 years
-Speed gets inspected every 160K miles
-Air cleaner element & pollen filter if you're in dusty environments every 15K miles
-Transmission fluid at 60K miles then every 30K miles
-Timing belt if in extreme temperatures every 60K miles
Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
<sarcasm>Dealers have the mileage based maintenance chart you are looking for. That might explain why they keep insisting on selling 30, 60, 90 thousand mile checkups. I laughed every time I got a "your TL is due for its xxx mile service" letter from them</sarcasm>

Obviously you can do some things based on mileage if you want but the point is that way of thinking isn't gospel anymore.

To add to pollobunny's list.
Pretty sure coolant is every 5 years. (Just use the pre-mixed stuff from a Honda/Accura dealer...really. Also worth finding the block drain when you drain/refill)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 AM
2007 Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok thank you gents, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds true in this case. going to do the coolant change and tb, wp in the spring as it hasn t been done, and i saw 7 yrs or the mileage. will wait for the lights and sirens to go off for other things.

thank you
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Adobeman
<sarcasm>Dealers have the mileage based maintenance chart you are looking for. That might explain why they keep insisting on selling 30, 60, 90 thousand mile checkups. I laughed every time I got a "your TL is due for its xxx mile service" letter from them</sarcasm>

Obviously you can do some things based on mileage if you want but the point is that way of thinking isn't gospel anymore.

To add to pollobunny's list.
Pretty sure coolant is every 5 years. (Just use the pre-mixed stuff from a Honda/Accura dealer...really. Also worth finding the block drain when you drain/refill)
I don't believe it is mentioned anywhere in the manuals, however there should be an inspection of all fluids when maintenance minder main item B pops up (and proper action if needed depending on the state of said fluid) and definitive replacement when maintenance minder sub item 5 pops up.

As always, inspection and common sense is your #1 help. If you know your fluids are highly contaminated for whichever reason, or any other maintenance is needed after diagnosing an issue, it's asinine to run the car "as is" and risk a bigger problem. Obviously the maintenance minder is to help the end user being reminded of the proper service intervals, not to replace a mechanic inspection.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
...As always, inspection and common sense is your #1 help. If you know your fluids are highly contaminated for whichever reason, or any other maintenance is needed after diagnosing an issue, it's asinine to run the car "as is" and risk a bigger problem. Obviously the maintenance minder is to help the end user being reminded of the proper service intervals, not to replace a mechanic inspection.
Yeah, I realize now I didn't quite get across my point. It's not necessarily a bad thing for dealers to push inspections at regular intervals especially for people that don't know how to, or don't want to , look after their own. But I've seen dealers still push part replacements strictly based on 30/60/90 k mile type intervals. I get it, their a business, but it's especially irritating when they say it's the "manufacturer's schedule". Over-maintaining is a big, big, revenue source for them. And lets be honest, there are plenty of people out there that still want the 30/60/90 k schedules because it's predictable and easier than decoding what a MID code means. Waldo - not implying you are one of those people.

There's also the idea that after time we could realize the MID didn't do so well in some areas of prediction. I'm not aware of any though.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
there's a lost waldo joke in here some where
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Yeah, I realize now I didn't quite get across my point. It's not necessarily a bad thing for dealers to push inspections at regular intervals especially for people that don't know how to, or don't want to , look after their own. But I've seen dealers still push part replacements strictly based on 30/60/90 k mile type intervals. I get it, their a business, but it's especially irritating when they say it's the "manufacturer's schedule". Over-maintaining is a big, big, revenue source for them. And lets be honest, there are plenty of people out there that still want the 30/60/90 k schedules because it's predictable and easier than decoding what a MID code means. Waldo - not implying you are one of those people.

There's also the idea that after time we could realize the MID didn't do so well in some areas of prediction. I'm not aware of any though.
Agree with you, and here lies the beauty of doing your own work or knowing someone of trust when dealing with cars.

The MID is very conservative regarding maintenance. For instance, oil life is much greater with synthetic oil vs dino oil, yet the MID doesn't not detect this. You can go quite longer with synthetic. It can probably said with a lot of the maintenance minders, but it's always better to be slightly overly careful and cautious rather than not maintaining properly, even more so when it comes to a car owner without the knowledge to diagnose and inspect their vehicle themselves.

To those with the knowledge: Use your best judgement
To those without the knowledge: Follow the MID or seek someone with the knowledge and rely on their best judgment
Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by polobunny
...-Speed gets inspected every 160K miles
Huh? Speedometer?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
https://owners.acura.com/service-mai...6#mid^UA6626JW
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Interesting topic. I've always used the MID to tell when fluids were due except the tranny fluid (did first 3 x 3 drain and fill ~ 50K miles) and brake fluid every 3 years. I didn't change my coolant except when the timing belt and water pump were done (I did mine at 95K miles as I got a special at Hamilton Honda and was impatient to wait til the MID '4' indication).
There's 4 easy ways to check coolant condition:
-visual inspection (obviously change if highly contaminated or rusty)
-voltage test (+ probe with multimeter right in radiator neck (when cold) and - probe on neg. battery terminal- as long as voltage doesn't exceed 0.3V, it's still good (not acting as an electrolyte which can break down rubber)- there's a warm test as well, but I'd do it via the overflow tank if the car is warm
-pH test: get some pH strips at Autozone- pH should be 9-9.5 or so
-hydrometer test (the bulb thing you get for $2-3 to see if you have boilover and freeze protection).

If the coolant is acidic or the voltage test indicates higher voltage, then there's a risk to the hoses and engine. Maintain appropriately, but don't over maintain.

I wouldn't change the coolant until the TB is due, but that's just one opinion.