3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside mirror replacement and the "prongs" inside......

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside mirror replacement and the "prongs" inside......

My car was clipped while parking on the street and cracked the housing but everything else was fine, so I ordered the housing and was putting everything back together when I snapped 2 of the 4 "prongs" that connect the mirror to the actuator. Two of them have clips at the end. I've done some searching and have come across a few threads regarding people breaking them but haven't found a solution on IF you can buy them separately (I don't think you can) OR, what part you need to buy that will come with them - ie. the actuator or the mirror.

To clarify what I'm talking about, I found this PDF for an Accord that says they are "actuator shafts"
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x00-035e.pdf

Here's the diagram for a 2nd gen TL - it looks like you can buy those prongs and rubber boots that surround them (item 6 adn 7)
Acura MIRROR

And here's the diagram for a 3rd gen TL - No prongs anywhere
Acura MIRROR

I've searched some Pick-n-Pull places around Cincinnati but none have a 3rd gen TL in stock, so hopefully someone has come across this problem too.

What's the best solution when this happens?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
i believe those are a part of the actuator itself. so you'll have to buy the whole actuator.

if you look at the 3G diagram, the actuator includes that circular portion. If that portion is broken off the actuator, you'll have to buy them and pry off the old round portion off the old mirror.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
I don't have a solution but I do have parts if you are looking for a replacement. PM if you go that route. I would assume you will need to the whole actuator as you probably can't just buy parts. Never looked into it though.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
It comes with the unit if you break those clips.
Look at it with your eyes and you'll see their are integrated.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

I recently replaced the driver's mirror actuator (and glass) on my 2007 Type S. The mirror actuator has 3 tabs (they remind me of "teddy bear ears") around the perimeter of the circular pad that the mirror glass locks on to. Those 3 tabs are purely there for alignment of the glass onto the actuator. The plastic backing of the mirror glass has tabs that actually lock onto the circular pad of the actuator. On my car, I snapped most of those plastic tabs removing the mirror glass....which I was removing in order to replace the actuator (it was stuttering). At that point, other than using glue/adhesive to attach the mirror....you're hosed. So, I bought new mirror glass (which has the plastic backing) from my local Acura dealer. At first, I had trouble getting the new mirror glass to snap on to the actuator.....but after putting a little grease on the tabs/actuator pad....it snapped right on! Trust me...it locks on tight!!! Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info

This happened a couple months back and when I broke those tabs I did a temporary fix until I'd get around to it this fall. I'm going to take it apart this weekend, but from what I remember, the circular piece may be broken from the actuator. So I'm starting to think more things got broken then just the housing....So RandyRSV, those 3-4 plastic prongs will come with the mirror?

I'll take some pictures this weekend of what's missing if I can't figure it out. My seat memory also went out AFTER I re-installed everything but the driver side motor still works. Thought that was weird but I'll check the #20 fuse too.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Muski_G
l. I'm going to take it apart this weekend, but from what I remember, the circular piece may be broken from the actuator. So I'm starting to think more things got broken then just the housing....
echo..... echoo...echo....
Originally Posted by thoiboi
i believe those are a part of the actuator itself. so you'll have to buy the whole actuator.

if you look at the 3G diagram, the actuator includes that circular portion. If that portion is broken off the actuator, you'll have to buy them and pry off the old round portion off the old mirror.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
echo..... echoo...echo....
Yeah, a little redundant

Mind is at work while I'm trying to figure this out, haha