Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGK Laser Iridium vs. NGK Iridium IX...

Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
NGK Laser Iridium vs. NGK Iridium IX...

I have a 05' TL auto with 90k miles.
All of the websites recommend this OEM plug IZFR6K-11 part number 6994 (~$9.99)... Regular OEM plug.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...m.asp?mode=nml

Some have used the Iridium IX plug ZFR6FIX-11 part number 6441 (~$6.99)... NGK states its there performance plug.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product.../iridiumix.asp

The specs are same but has anyone had trouble with the IXs??? With all things being equal, I will go with the cheaper so call "performance" plugs. I want to change them out this weekend and I just want to make sure I have the right part for the job... Anyone personally install the IXs.

I've searched and this is the only thing I've found...

Originally Posted by me1abPSU
Erick 3:

The NGK Laser plugs are OEM [Part #: IZFR6K-11 or #6994]

The NGK Iridium IX plugs are [Part #: ZFR6FIX-11 or #6441]

Both will work just fine. The NGK Iridium IX are their "perfomance enthusiast" plugs. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product.../iridiumix.asp
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
From what I've researched, it looks like the NGK Iridium IX plugs ZFR6FIX-11 (part #6441) are for the 2nd generation TLs and the NGK Laser Iridium IZFR6K-11 (part #6994) are for the 3rd generation TLs. Can anyone confirm this???

Has anyone put the IX plugs in a 3rd gen TL?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
From what I've researched, it looks like the NGK Iridium IX plugs ZFR6FIX-11 (part #6441) are for the 2nd generation TLs and the NGK Laser Iridium IZFR6K-11 (part #6994) are for the 3rd generation TLs. Can anyone confirm this???

Has anyone put the IX plugs in a 3rd gen TL?
Your correct, but why even thinka bout putting teh 2G plugs in a 3G?
Go with what is recpmmended:

2004 ACURA TL 3.2 V6 J32A3 FI
OE Laser Iridium IZFR6K11 # 6994 .044
Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
It's only a $3 difference per plug. Total $18.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Iridium IX is a performance oriented plug that is not designed for long-life. It is good for about 60k since it does not have the platinum pad on the ground electrode.

Laser Iridium is a long-life plug that is good for 105k, if not more. It features the platinum pad on the ground electrode.

The Laser Iridium is the one you want...
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe what YOU want. I don't trust any spark plug to perform well for 105k miles. Not even really a money thing for me, I just can't see spending extra money on something I don't expect to take advantage of. Save the $20 and grab a 30 pack to drink while you change the plugs.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
Maybe what YOU want. I don't trust any spark plug to perform well for 105k miles. Not even really a money thing for me, I just can't see spending extra money on something I don't expect to take advantage of. Save the $20 and grab a 30 pack to drink while you change the plugs.
Regardless, it makes more sense to purchase the longer life plugs. They would give you a greater margin of error, even if you changed them every 60k.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
Here's 0ne for y0u. The daughter's Maxima which came with 100,000 miles replacement plugs were replaced at 132,000 miles and running great. A little worn, but not as much as you might think. And yes this was the first replacement as she purchased the car new.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
gen2 came with NGK Platinum and can use Iridium IX or Iridium
gen3 came with Iridium

Thats to help it meet the magic 100 mark before ~needing~ replacement- unless you operate in the `severe service` part of the maitenance and need things at 60

Smart money changes the plugs at 50-60k miles to get max mileage and performance from them--Im on iridium ix with a gen2

dont care how good old plugs looked- its all about their resistance and sparking,,which has gone down considerably
Its like the headlight bulbs- they get dimmer with age but you dont relaize it
Old 08-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
gen2 came with NGK Platinum and can use Iridium IX or Iridium
gen3 came with Iridium

Thats to help it meet the magic 100 mark before ~needing~ replacement- unless you operate in the `severe service` part of the maitenance and need things at 60

Smart money changes the plugs at 50-60k miles to get max mileage and performance from them--Im on iridium ix with a gen2

dont care how good old plugs looked- its all about their resistance and sparking,,which has gone down considerably
Its like the headlight bulbs- they get dimmer with age but you dont relaize it
I don't agree.
Here's spme info straight from NGK:
FAQs - Spark Plugs

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

what dont you agree on?
I used the word considerably- while they say 1-2% toal engine output
ok maybe thats not ~considerable~ but its ~measureable~ hows that?

All I know for sure is new plugs in my 01 at 68k miles made it run better.
what percentage I couldnt say exactly- no dyno proof that cleaning the intake system and new plugs made a huge differance- though the 1-2 mpg increase overall seems to back up the theory of new plugs are better than old plugs.
Book says to change way before 100 if you drive in severe service like commute traffic stop and go, or live in cold or hot, or mountains or....

Of interest is the tech section at ngk on materials used in plugs now
Old 08-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

what dont you agree on?
I used the word considerably- while they say 1-2% toal engine output
ok maybe thats not ~considerable~ but its ~measureable~ hows that?

All I know for sure is new plugs in my 01 at 68k miles made it run better.
what percentage I couldnt say exactly- no dyno proof that cleaning the intake system and new plugs made a huge differance- though the 1-2 mpg increase overall seems to back up the theory of new plugs are better than old plugs.
Book says to change way before 100 if you drive in severe service like commute traffic stop and go, or live in cold or hot, or mountains or....

Of interest is the tech section at ngk on materials used in plugs now
It's just like plug wires on older cars, they don't make a difference either.
This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless

If the plugs are firing, you're not going to notice a difference when the new plugs are installed. Sorry, but similar to the mileage increase after Seafoam is used. IMHO It's purely mental, especially with the computer controlled environment maintaining the correct A/F ratio.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

seafoam works- physics and boroscope show that with a clean piston top, it fires that carefully controlled mixture better than a carbon coated one== see Torque
Clean valve edges seal better in the fast action open shut seal open shut seal life lived at high rpm
Clean valve stems dont interfere with airflow to the cylinder--
vtec delays the 2nd intake valve opening slightly and opens it for longer-
the purpose is to create a tornado like airflow into the cylinders- that burns much better!

Clean oil passages and pickup screen makes for spec oil pressure!!
sludge in TV commercials is real and a hazard to engines everywhere
That ethanol 10% added gas the govt mandated is messed up stuff that leaves behind crud everywhere

the computer can adjust "so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless"
that says SEEMS-as in passenger comfort,,,
not, makes cars run as good as new regarless of plug age,,,
Seems to me thats masking the symptoms, thats like saying
Take a pill for that nail in your head Sir lol

Old spark plug wires have more resistance to electrical flow thru them- reduces amount energy to the plug so it fires weaker spark in the combustion chamber,
Less explosive than original spec means less torque generated from the expanding gasses pushing the piston down and the crackshaft to rotate
Means more partially unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust in the atmosphere

True- we have coil on plug with the TL which is very hi energy and doesnt require any 25 dollar plus with extra capawigawatz capability from built in capacitor--they have been tried and same 1mpg improvement any TL gets with new NGK plugs at 60-70k miles
Stick with NGK Iridium like the factory has used for DECADES on these cars
platinum was the gen1 and 2 spec because thats what was available-
iridium became more readily available when plans for gen3 made, and gets it

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-15-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

seafoam works- physics and boroscope show that with a clean piston top, it fires that carefully controlled mixture better than a carbon coated one== see Torque
Clean valve edges seal better in the fast action open shut seal open shut seal life lived at high rpm
Clean valve stems dont interfere with airflow to the cylinder--
vtec delays the 2nd intake valve opening slightly and opens it for longer-
the purpose is to create a tornado like airflow into the cylinders- that burns much better!

Clean oil passages and pickup screen makes for spec oil pressure!!
sludge in TV commercials is real and a hazard to engines everywhere
That ethanol 10% added gas the govt mandated is messed up stuff that leaves behind crud everywhere

the computer can adjust "so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless"
that says SEEMS-as in passenger comfort,,,
not, makes cars run as good as new regarless of plug age,,,
Seems to me thats masking the symptoms, thats like saying
Take a pill for that nail in your head Sir lol

Old spark plug wires have more resistance to electrical flow thru them- reduces amount energy to the plug so it fires weaker spark in the combustion chamber,
Less explosive than original spec means less torque generated from the expanding gasses pushing the piston down and the crackshaft to rotate
Means more partially unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust in the atmosphere

True- we have coil on plug with the TL which is very hi energy and doesnt require any 25 dollar plus with extra capawigawatz capability from built in capacitor--they have been tried and same 1mpg improvement any TL gets with new NGK plugs at 60-70k miles
Stick with NGK Iridium like the factory has used for DECADES on these cars
platinum was the gen1 and 2 spec because thats what was available-
iridium became more readily available when plans for gen3 made, and gets it
Here's something directly from Magnecore:
Despite what is published in advertisements and some vested interest magazine articles, no spark plug wires will generate or "install" additional horsepower, unless the wire has failed, or has failing components. It's the same concept as the plugs. If operating properly, new parts will not change the performance, regardless of the age or mileage.

Yup, Seafoam is Magic Potion in a bottle. It’s certainly amazing how vehicles that have never seen the stuff can go hundreds of thousands of miles and still operate like new. I also wonder how they claim additional fuel mileage and performance after cleaning as even with a clogged air filter the fuel mileage doesn't change, so how can running the stuff through the engine increase fuel mileage. Wishfull thinking.
We're off target from the OP.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Iridium IX is a performance oriented plug that is not designed for long-life. It is good for about 60k since it does not have the platinum pad on the ground electrode.

Laser Iridium is a long-life plug that is good for 105k, if not more. It features the platinum pad on the ground electrode.

The Laser Iridium is the one you want...
:threadclosed:
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Here's 0ne for y0u. The daughter's Maxima which came with 100,000 miles replacement plugs were replaced at 132,000 miles and running great. A little worn, but not as much as you might think. And yes this was the first replacement as she purchased the car new.
...are we to assume that your daughter drives her Maxima as hard as I/we tend to drive our TL'S? For only $20 I'll buy the better plugs and change them at 60K as well...
Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts