3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Dashboard cracking may also be, unfortunately, prevented by garaging the car. I bought my 06 TL from a lady and she had it garaged all its life and dash looks fine.

Leather is definitely needing upkeep. my first car I had for 11 years and never treated the leather and about 10 years in it started to rip and crack. The lady I bought my TL from didn't do any leather care either and actually spent about $800 at a leather shop to have both front seats re-done.

I specifically asked for my christmas gifts a leather care kit....i want this baby to last!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Dashboard cracking may also be, unfortunately, prevented by garaging the car. I bought my 06 TL from a lady and she had it garaged all its life and dash looks fine.

Leather is definitely needing upkeep. my first car I had for 11 years and never treated the leather and about 10 years in it started to rip and crack. The lady I bought my TL from didn't do any leather care either and actually spent about $800 at a leather shop to have both front seats re-done.

I specifically asked for my christmas gifts a leather care kit....i want this baby to last!
Dash usually looks fine until one day. Some azine members stated that they took a good care and garaged their babies until first crack.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Nobody said a premium brand car would be easy to take care of. You need to work on your seats, you need to use UV protectant on the dash and you need to protect your paint with wax. Understand the difference between an accord and TL.

The accord has harder, more durable materials because it is an economy car and has paint that doesn't come close to the quality of a TL. They make those cars with cheaper buyers in mind who do plan to spend less maintaining their cars. That's also why you get more plastics.

Luxury car=luxury care. Don't be surprised if you move to another brand and end up with even more service and repair. Out of all the cars I've been detailing Toyota, Lexus, Acura and Honda stand the test of time. I mean 20 year old cars with immaculate interiors. The German and American brands from the 90's and early 2000's fall apart constantly. Shit even Ferrari's have pieces of plastic and leather rotting off and those were cars bought in 2007.

Literally everything you described could've been avoided with care or just asking a proper detailer to work on your car.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^^

Accord is not an economy car and the TL is not a luxury car. There's a very small rung on the ladder separating the two. You're talking like one's a 750 Li and the other a Cobalt. And you honestly think the paint or clearcoat on a Honda is any different than what they use on an Acura? Hardly.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
How are you a detailer and you say honda paint is cheap quality and acura paint is better quality?

Some Hondas are painted the same color as acuras. Moroccan Red Pearl is a color for the TL-S but also a color for the 03-07 accord sedan. You mean to tell me the Moroccan Red Pearl factory paint job on the accord is lower quality than the one on the Acura?

Same for nighthawk black pearl and many other colors.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 01-15-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anx1300c
^^

Accord is not an economy car and the TL is not a luxury car. There's a very small rung on the ladder separating the two. You're talking like one's a 750 Li and the other a Cobalt. And you honestly think the paint or clearcoat on a Honda is any different than what they use on an Acura? Hardly.

I'm not trying to create a huge divide between the two but there is a noticeable difference. I used an accord as an example to show how 2 very similar cars can be very different. OP had a Honda pilot which has noticeably worse paint quality especially with the older models.

They are different because one is low on maintenance and the other needs a little more care. One has hard touch points and the other has soft leather wrapped surfaces. Compare the interiors and notice the differences. When you have softer materials you have to be more careful with it. Its as simple as that.

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
How are you a detailer and you say honda paint is cheap quality and acura paint is better quality?
This is how....

The paint quality is different. Honda and Acura change the depth and types of paint they use on both vehicles. Honda's are notorious for orange peel. Their clearcoat also tends to be thinner. The Honda fit even uses colored clear coat to make the paint "pop". Accords typically have 3 mils of paint whereas the TL has 4-5 mils of paint. I can correct a TL's paint and be more aggressive than with an Accord and get a mirror finish on the TL.

It does go back to paint treatment though. If OP didn't care for the paint and parked it out in the sun all the time things will go bad. Especially if it hasn't gotten any wax. Its a 10 year old car. I have a TL that's 10 years old now and have had no paint failures at all. Same with my 22 year old Lexus.

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 01-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Its both - some of it is luck of the draw, some of it is Preventive Maintenance. OP - I'm sorry, but you did bare minimum PM. You apprently also got unlucky. Thats how it goes. If you saw it was going to shit - it was time to call a pro detailer and have him work his magic.

I had a 2001 Nighthawk black pearl Civic EX stick shift. At 10 years -looked great - Till I wrecked. New? No. But no clear coat issues, paint/pearl still shined, interior too. I regularly washed it - weekly quick, good wash with good soap that ALREADY HAS WAX IN IT. I get it - you hate waxing. Skip it. I didnt know much about sealants, never did clay bar or professional detail. Young and broke.

My buddy with the same car? at 10 years -Yellowed gross headlights, car always dirty/dusty, NOT shiny, never waxed or polished. Rarely washed, and when it was, just didnt look dirty anymore. No gloss or shine of any kind.

My detail guy now? His daughter - 2001 civic EX auto - nighthawk black pearl - Car looks NEW - present day. Car gets full works at least once a year, basic/ good wash, wax general cleaning all the time. All the people saying it shouldn't matter are crazy. Take care of your stuff, it lasts longer.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119

The paint quality is different. Honda and Acura change the depth and types of paint they use on both vehicles. Honda's are notorious for orange peel. Their clearcoat also tends to be thinner. The Honda fit even uses colored clear coat to make the paint "pop". Accords typically have 3 mils of paint whereas the TL has 4-5 mils of paint. I can correct a TL's paint and be more aggressive than with an Accord and get a mirror finish on the TL.

It does go back to paint treatment though. If OP didn't care for the paint and parked it out in the sun all the time things will go bad. Especially if it hasn't gotten any wax. Its a 10 year old car. I have a TL that's 10 years old now and have had no paint failures at all. Same with my 22 year old Lexus.
I've also heard from my detailing buddy that Honda/Acura paint isn't the best either but it is fairly easy to work with as compared to other manufacturers. He's done Honda and Acura magic his whole life, in between the Lambos and Ferraris he does
Old 01-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I've also heard from my detailing buddy that Honda/Acura paint isn't the best either but it is fairly easy to work with as compared to other manufacturers. He's done Honda and Acura magic his whole life, in between the Lambos and Ferraris he does
Its soft so its easy to correct fast and consequently burn through as well. Harder paints are tough to correct but allow for more margin for error. I like softer paint since I have to be careful either way and take my time. Harder paint is a pain.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
When my bro bought his TL-s this fall we were driving back and happened to get stuck on the highway coming home and had to go through the worse hail storm ever. You could not leave the car cause you'd have been pumped to the ground with well over marble sized hail blasting down.

I literally thought the car was a write off along with the rest on the highway, we could not even talk in the car as it was so intense.

The paint on the car did not even flinch. Thre were a few dents on the roof from the hail but nowhere else. No scratches or chips of any kind. I was in my Acura cls as well and it took the hail like a champ as well.

So I have to think there is an underlying issue with ur paint at least. Has the car been repainted before? Cause it's never as good as from the factory
Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Some Hondas are painted the same color as acuras. Moroccan Red Pearl is a color for the TL-S but also a color for the 03-07 accord sedan. You mean to tell me the Moroccan Red Pearl factory paint job on the accord is lower quality than the one on the Acura?

Same for nighthawk black pearl and many other colors.
Also since you edited this, I never said Acura paint was higher quality. You assumed that from my post somehow.

I said the interiors are. The paint is the same however there is more of it on an Acura allowing for better finish. More paint is easier to correct and has a better finish to it. That isn't always the case but for Honda's and Acura's it is.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Honestly man, if you don't know, don't talk.
Me? haha...all very well aware of what all the perks of clay bar, wax, and polishes are. They are mostly "optional"....not required. I spent many years with many OCD car guys that spent hours upon hours detailing their cars. Did their cars look absolutely beautiful? You bet they did. Did mine look as nice? Not even close. But it was good enough for me.

Now if my paint was peeling on my 10 year old TL would I blame it on Acura or lack of care? Probably both. My paint is peeling off of my front bumper...but it was like that when I bought it. Assuming a craptacular respray by the previous owner for some minor issue.

Why would I be "Never Again" for Acura? Because they no longer offer a vehicle for me. Where is their mid-size entry level luxury sport vehicle with 250HP+ and a manual transmission? For me to get a manual transmission, I have to be stuck with the 200HP 4cyl? Really? Overall I have been extremely pleased with Acura as a brand, for reliability, for service at the dealers, and overall love my TL. But unless they offer something else that falls close to what the 3G TL was in specs, I will look have to look elsewhere for my next vehicle when that time finally comes. What really makes me sad is that Buick and Cadillac have more options for manual transmissions than Acura does. That makes me sad.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by glennjr15
I didn't clay that car either, and as I was in college when I got it, hardly ever took it to get washed, and just did it myself at home (sometimes with dish soap, and on other occasions with laundry detergent. I know, I know... ).
Dish soap!!!!!!! Oh no!!!!!! That really says that you're 100% not a car guy! That's like repeatedly using rubbing alcohol on your skin!

Sorry to say, but it comes across as if your TL has not had a loving owner.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
sorry to hear of your issues

a car is like a kid, there's a "guide", then there's the "unofficial guide"

i'm coming from a vw, and acura's been good to me so far

i wouldn't be so quick to rule them out of contention
Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
Richard Hammond said it best, "Hondas are as reliable as the universe itself"
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I've pretty much ranted about these issues long ago but I have to agree with certain points. I'm the original owner, the car has been meticulously overmantained, detailed, garaged etc.

Still I will say the leather on 04-06 cars is garbage. Sure there is worse leather out there on older cars, but in this era there was plenty of opportunity to build this car with better leather. The leather was changed on 07-08s (Because Acura of course got complaints on this) No mine are not ripped or excessively wrinkled, they look excellent considering their age because I was obsessed since day 1. But no matter how much I tried, I just couldn't keep them perfect. I think it's near impossible on any 04-06 car with 75k miles+ on it. Other brands of luxury cars of the era (German) have MUCH better leather that looks way better at this age even if you did zero maintenance.

I always thought the paint was cheap too. It seems to scuff/scratch and chip way too easily. Even though the car is garaged a lot it has way more UV fade than it should have. Yes I can get a nice shine out of it when waxed. But it never did have a very deep lustrous shine, even when it was new. It was just.....OK. If you see some other luxury cars with a similar hue, there just seems to be so much more of a depth to it and the richness of the metallic really shimmers through. I dunno, maybe it's just my car.

My dash has been OK, but as I've said in other threads, I feel it's just inevitable that a crack can happen. I'm not going to say that it's just because of my maintenance it's stayed that way. It shouldn't crack at all! I get paranoid as it develops that ashy dry look to it and I race to get that Aerospace 303. Yea, people can say many other cars have the problem. That's nice. Again, this shouldn't be happening, that's the point.

And tranny issues, yea don't get me started. I've ranted enough about that. All in all, great car. Sadly hampered by several weak spots none of which are major faults; but as a whole will keep me away from the brand next time.

Unless they bring out a TLS Type-S 6MT. Then maybe
Old 01-23-2015, 02:56 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Why would I be "Never Again" for Acura? Because they no longer offer a vehicle for me. Where is their mid-size entry level luxury sport vehicle with 250HP+ and a manual transmission? For me to get a manual transmission, I have to be stuck with the 200HP 4cyl? Really? Overall I have been extremely pleased with Acura as a brand, for reliability, for service at the dealers, and overall love my TL. But unless they offer something else that falls close to what the 3G TL was in specs, I will look have to look elsewhere for my next vehicle when that time finally comes. What really makes me sad is that Buick and Cadillac have more options for manual transmissions than Acura does. That makes me sad.
Sums it up for me. Love my 6MT 3G TL but feel Acura has lost its way. I never had an Integra or RSX but always recognized them as what Acura represented. Then the 3GTL came along and I was blown away. After the 3GTL everything just got way more expensive and more conservative looking. MTs pretty much evaporated. So I won't say "never again", but "probably not again".

And yeah, the leather is crap and paint could be better but not deal breakers.