Sponsored by:

Need advice from the experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need advice from the experts

Guys,
I need your advice. I was at the dealership yesterday to get an oil change for my 2008 TL. The service advisor told me that I will need to replace my brake pads soon - they are closer to the red zone (although still in yellow) - the SA told me that if I get the brake service done I would be able to extend the life of my brake pads. (brake service is basically taking apart the brake parts and cleaning/lubricating them)

Secondly, I have not replaced the brake fluid ever. I was planning to get the brake fluid replaced in the next couple of weeks but the SA told me that my brake fluid is fine. Now I am confused if I need to replace the fluid or is it really not required.

The brakes feel slightly mushy - I was driving a friends 2yr old SUV last week and felt the brakes on the SUV were crisper than those on my TL.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by tl3097flnkr; 04-26-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: corrected error
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I have a feeling that dealer will try selling you snake oil next

It is a good idea to service your brakes- cleaning and lubing is never a bad idea. How old is your TL? When was the last brake service done? The lubing and cleaning doesn't need to happen all that often. I'm pretty sure the brake service has only been done twice on my car in 9 years. I did it just because I was already in there replacing the pads and rotors. And mine were still fine when I did them.

If your brake calipers aren't sticking, doing the service won't extend your pad life. Also, servicing your brakes is easy to do. Rather than make the dealership richer, you should read up on how to do it and take care of it yourself. You'll save a lot of money, my friend!

When was your brake fluid changed last? New fluid won't necessarily make your brakes feel crisper, however, as brake fluid ages, it accumulates moisture and gets grimey. That in turn lowers the boiling point of the fluid and can cause your brakes to feel like they're fading, however, you likely have to be pushing your car hard to get to that point. The worse condition the fluid is in, the quicker the effects will occur. I do suggest you change the fluid.

The crisper brake feeling on your friend's SUV is simply due to the design of the brakes. I've driven a number of different cars and brake feel between models changes vastly. There's not much you can do to change that, but new pads, rotors and fluid will help marginally.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tl3097flnkr
Guys,
I need your advice. I was at the dealership yesterday to get an oil change for my 2008 TL. The service advisor told me that I will need to replace my brake pads soon - they are closer to the red zone (although still in yellow) - the SA told me that if I get the brake service done I would be able to extend the life of my brake pads. (brake service is basically taking apart the brake parts and cleaning/lubricating them)

Secondly, I have not replaced the brake fluid ever. I was planning to get the brake fluid replaced in the next couple of weeks but the SA told me that my brake fluid is fine. Now I am confused if I need to replace the fluid or is it really not required.

The brakes feel slightly mushy - I was driving a friends 2yr old SUV last week and felt the brakes on the SUV were crisper than those on my TL.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!
I'm no expert but it's never a bad idea to change your own oil. you'll save a lot and it's pretty easy.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Replacing the brake pads is easy. Replacing the brake fluid is also easy, but much easier with the help of another person to pump the brake pedal when taking out the old fluid.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
I wouldn't call myself an expert. Almost anyone who's done a brake job can answer your question.

They're trying to charge you twice when you only need to do it once. My reasoning, if you are going to take the brakes apart to clean it, then you can replace the pads when you put it back together the first time. No need to service the brakes the second time.

No need to clean the brakes unless something is not right.

Why take the brakes apart clean it and reassemble it and then later perform a brake job? When you can do it the first time. You will loose some life from the current brake pads if you replace them now but, if you replace them the first time then no need to do the brakes again, no second time until pads wear down to minimum thickness.

IMHO service the brakes when the pads need to, not before.

Brake fluid.

Your owners manual says this "Replace it every 3 years, independent
of mileage".

So, yes replace it if is over due. That's good advice and yes your brakes will feel better. Will it feel as good as the car you reference? Don't know don't care. Long as your brakes are working good that's all that matters.

Last edited by 01acls; 04-26-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Definitely change the fluid out by bleeding at all 4 wheels. There is a good chance your brakes may feel more crisp afterwards as well. The old fluid absorbs moisture which doesn't compress. Moisture will also eventually foul up your master cylinder and the Pistons at each caliper.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:23 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I see the problem with the first line in the request for info:
'I went to the dealership yesterday...'

Quick version as others have said, brake fluid is hygroscopic and therefore, if contaminated with water, will reduce braking efficiency- at an independent garage (or Goodyear/ similar garage) will charge ~$100 for the service. As for a brake job, change the pads when they're due for it and not before. 'If I do the brake service before the pads are done...it'll extend the life of the pads' (well, yes, since you'll have new pads on, but the original statement of the service person makes no sense).

If you're uncomfortable doing the work yourself, find a good independent shop and start using them. The TL is basically an Accord, which means that basic systems like brakes are pretty much comparable to other cars on the road today. It's not like a supercar where you would need a speacialty mechanic to work on the car.

Last edited by erdoc48; 04-26-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Like everyone else said above me.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdwrx
I'm no expert but it's never a bad idea to change your own oil. you'll save a lot and it's pretty easy.
how much do you really save tho? lol. oil change is like 50 bucks at a shop. 4 times a year you might save 50 bucks a year lol... were going to vegas honey
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

If I diy oil change i saved $14 and for $14 i can get loaner car, coffee and the multipoint inspections (which 95% of the time is correct according to me and my mechanic) and yet best of all when i need to sell the car all the record is in the carfax to back up all the claim. I guess some one else would rather DIY oil change and hassle with put the old oil back in the bottle and take it to autozone with no trust worthy docmument except for receipt of oil being purchased. That just my .02
The following users liked this post:
Jackass (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Drifting

BTW: If I was you I'll be looking for a new SA and possibly another repair shop.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Skip the cleaning until you need new pads/rotors.

If you've never changed the brake fluid, do it.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
If I diy oil change i saved $14 and for $14 i can get loaner car, coffee and the multipoint inspections (which 95% of the time is correct according to me and my mechanic) and yet best of all when i need to sell the car all the record is in the carfax to back up all the claim. I guess some one else would rather DIY oil change and hassle with put the old oil back in the bottle and take it to autozone with no trust worthy docmument except for receipt of oil being purchased. That just my .02
Exactly how I feel these days. Now in my younger years....I always did all of my own maintenance. Back then $14 was worth it...not anymore. I have plenty of other things I can do with my time these days.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Drifting

LOL, I think what he's trying to say is he makes a lot more money now than when he was a youngster.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
OP, what the hell is a "red zone" or "yellow zone"? Sounds like your SA just made that up.

Here's what you need to do:

Call your SA back and ask him, "When your tech measured my brake pads, how many millimeters of pad material was left for each pad?"

I'll guarantee you he won't have an answer. Run, Forrest, run!!

We also need the mileage, year and how long you've had the car.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jackass
Exactly how I feel these days. Now in my younger years....I always did all of my own maintenance. Back then $14 was worth it...not anymore. I have plenty of other things I can do with my time these days.
Yes for $14 you can work 5 hours on Saturday and the OT is much more than $14. Or you can spend time with your son/daughter at playground or parks.

Originally Posted by 01acls
LOL, I think what he's trying to say is he makes a lot more money now than when he was a youngster.
That how I felt now , when I was 16-19 got pay $7.50/hour I got alot of time to kill but not a lot of money to spend. Now these day I work almost 60 hours a week with income creeping up to six figure, I got almost no time between work and family. Once you grow up and settle down with a kid(s) I am sure you will know what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
OP, what the hell is a "red zone" or "yellow zone"? Sounds like your SA just made that up.

Here's what you need to do:

Call your SA back and ask him, "When your tech measured my brake pads, how many millimeters of pad material was left for each pad?"

I'll guarantee you he won't have an answer. Run, Forrest, run!!

We also need the mileage, year and how long you've had the car.
For those of you who hate visit stealership the "Green" "Yellow" and "Red" zone he talking about is the multi-point inspection check list they gave it to you. Green mean good, yellow mean need attention or "recommended" as we called and red mean immediate replacement. My TL had a yellow before for rear pads and I knew that I personally change all four rotors and pads back in 2012 at 66k miles so the pads only lasted for 20k miles? I was like it sound alittle fishy to me. I asked the SA about the front he said its good and I have 3mm in the rear, I went home bought a new pads and once I took the old pads out I can see why it not lasted for so long. Caliper being stuck on both side cause the pads to wear down the inside much quicker than the outside (which visible for you to see) the inside pads already down to the metal tab wear indicator. To me its a immediate replacement needed but to my dealer its some how "attention" so I end up rebuilt the caliper and put in a new pads.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Thanks all for your replies. I have decided to skip the brake service and get the brake fluid replaced when the weather is dry.