Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modifying TL

Hey all, so about 10 months ago, i purchased a used acura TL 2004 BASE 5AT at 155k miles (250,000km). and Yes i got it for 3500$ LOL. (i know its not a lot but at the time, i only saved up 7000$ and i needed some money left to spear in case the car broke down, but it hasnt yet). Its white and ever since i've still have been in a honeymoon phase with this car. Anyways, ever since owning this car, i've been having thoughts about modifying the hell out of it. I mean, initially i bought this car because im into cars and this car is nice for its year and for my budget at the time so i picked it. At 250,000 km (155 miles) i'm beginning to think twice about modifying the hell out of it. mainly due to the fact that its really old. Theres no rust on the body but the bumper is slight cracked and has black cracking marks at some spots and the front bumper has some paint chips and dings.
I've seen some of the white TLs on here and my god they are beautiful. My friends told me i shouldnt modify this car and just save up for another car. (was planning to get a civic SI cause i want reliability and want to learn to drive manual). im maybe about 50% so far on achieving the money i need to buy that SI, which i'll need about another 1.5 - 2 years more to save.
I'm asking you guys right now. Should i spend money getting rims and intake and further modify this car at the kilometers its at right now? I mean at 155 miles, im scared ill mod this car then itll just die on me. But i told myself that if this car dies on me in the next year or so, im going to be forced to replace the transmission or engine swap it (whichever comes first) because i wont have the money for the SI yet. But i just really want to modify this car. Make it beautiful. I so far have a front lip on it the A-SPEC one that is unpainted and i debadged the acura and TL emblems and plasti dipped the grille. I really want to wrap the roof or get new rims or get coils but im scared this car will die on me after getting those expensive parts. What do you guys think?
Should i spend some money modding this car while i still have it and must have it for maybe another two years? or should i hold off and just wait for my next car?
at 155 miles with original tranny, im surprised it functions so well up to this point!
leave me some suggestions in the comment!
I feel really unhaappy looking at my car without the parts i really want for it. .
Old 11-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Just drive it and save your money for the Civic. Was the 105k service done?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Just drive it and save your money for the Civic. Was the 105k service done?
so it would be a waste to further modify this car? what if i replace the tranny and engine? should i modify it then? its weird how many people restore cars like the integra type R or the civic SIR but no one ever recommended me restore my tl LOL.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Modifying a car is all personal preference and I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money, especially on something such as mods.

No one recommended you to restore your TL because they aren't in the same category of rarity as the Type R or SiR or even the older Si. The TL is an everyday car, not a performance car.

The way I saw it when I had my TL; it's an everyday car with great performance, not a performance car you can use everyday.

Last edited by dezymond; 11-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
The engine should have no issue lasting a lot longer, however, the original transmission will be the weak link and more than likely need to be replaced at some point. Theres lots of life left in your car if it was well maintained by the previous owner(s).
Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
The engine should have no issue lasting a lot longer, however, the original transmission will be the weak link and more than likely need to be replaced at some point. Theres lots of life left in your car if it was well maintained by the previous owner(s).
thanks , yeah i feel like the transmission will at some point die out earlier, i mean, my mechanic told me the trannys usually die before the engine does. Not too sure about how my previous owner maintained it but the car drove pretty damn well and the interior looks good and new except for some wear and tear.
What sort of mods you think i should do thats worth while?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
Modifying a car is all personal preference and I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money, especially on something such as mods.

No one recommended you to restore your TL because they aren't in the same category of rarity as the Type R or SiR or even the older Si. The TL is an everyday car, not a performance car.

The way I saw it when I had my TL; it's an everyday car with great performance, not a performance car you can use everyday.
yeah i understand what you mean. those cars certainly are rare. i guess for now ill use my money on practical items such as new tires when needed.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:57 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
OP, the other thing you can do is sell the car and use the money along with the money you want to mod it with and find an '07-'08 or even a Type-S. That way you won't have to worry about spending on a new motor or transmission. Replacing those on your car would cost as much or more as what you original paid.

I wouldn`t go the Civic route. Everyone and their dog has one of those. Feels like a big step down from a TL to a Civic, but that`s just me though.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I wouldn't mod it. You can spend thousands on bolt on parts like high flow cats, jpipe, catback, cold air intake, throttle body upgrade, intake manifold/runners & a tune and guess what? Your automatic tl is still going to be slow as shit.

I went down that path with my 08 base model tl and regret it. Do not modify your auto TL for performance. Waste of money. Worse platform to mod to go fast.

If you had a 6 speed manual it might be a little more worthwhile, but a automatic is hell no.

Civic SIs run the 1/4 in about the same time as the auto TL.

But they have way more aftermarket support and potential to be a better performing car than the TL.

You got the TL for 3500. Just enjoy it. Don't throw parts at it. Just use it as a car to save up money for what you really want. The money you spend on the tl to "attempt" to make it quicker is just hundreds or thousands that can be going to a down payment for the civic si

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 11-23-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I wouldn't mod it. You can spend thousands on bolt on parts like high flow cats, jpipe, catback, cold air intake, throttle body upgrade, intake manifold/runners & a tune and guess what? Your automatic tl is still going to be slow as shit.

I went down that path with my 08 base model tl and regret it. Do not modify your auto TL for performance. Waste of money. Worse platform to mod to go fast.

If you had a 6 speed manual it might be a little more worthwhile, but a automatic is hell no.

Civic SIs run the 1/4 in about the same time as the auto TL.

But they have way more aftermarket support and potential to be a better performing car than the TL.

You got the TL for 3500. Just enjoy it. Don't throw parts at it. Just use it as a car to save up money for what you really want. The money you spend on the tl to "attempt" to make it quicker is just hundreds or thousands that can be going to a down payment for the civic si

thanks for the response! yeah honestly, at 244000 km (155k) i dont feel theres any point to put in a j pipe or intake or anything LOL. unless im willing to spend money to swap the engine tranny and install the supercharger LOL.
theres a reason im saving for the SI, cause its manual, its fun and theres a huge amount of aftermarket parts for cheap. even cheaper than the TLs parts LOL.
i love my TL but i guess ill just stick to my front lip and keep the car for as long as i can.

for the record, you're completely right LOL. i've lost to a manual civic in my TL before, lost to a 335i (its turbo but yeah) LOL. lost to a GTI, and no i dont street race, i just did pulls for a friendly competition. #sadlife
Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
OP, the other thing you can do is sell the car and use the money along with the money you want to mod it with and find an '07-'08 or even a Type-S. That way you won't have to worry about spending on a new motor or transmission. Replacing those on your car would cost as much or more as what you original paid.

I wouldn`t go the Civic route. Everyone and their dog has one of those. Feels like a big step down from a TL to a Civic, but that`s just me though.
yeah i understand, but honestly i probably wontt be throwing another 9-10 k for a type s, especially since the car is very old.
the civic yes, everyone has one where i live LOL i see like 10+ everytime i drive somewhere, but when you look at the amount of aftermarket parts and how it looks as a final outcome. its quite nice. especially with the MUGEN spoiler and such.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
dont get me wrong I love my TL and have done quite a few bolt on mods in a short period of time but the 5AT is not the platform to mod. If there was aHondata option available for us 04-06 AT guys then it would be a diff story.....Visaully though the TL can look amazing with the right touches
Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
dont get me wrong I love my TL and have done quite a few bolt on mods in a short period of time but the 5AT is not the platform to mod. If there was aHondata option available for us 04-06 AT guys then it would be a diff story.....Visaully though the TL can look amazing with the right touches
I have the same car as you. I've added a CCI, j-pipe, hollowed out HFPCs, A-Spec suspension, progress rear sway bar...on an '06 AT. Those mods alone have completely changed the characteristics of my car, relearning its limits per se. Every time I've been behind the wheel lately, all I can think of is "I really should upgrade the front brakes." "My" car has an unexpected and ridiculous acceleration when already cruising at Interstate speeds.

Not sure why the TL in general and especially the AT are called "slow as shit." Mine isn't

To the OP, you definitely need to put your money on maintenance firsthand. I'd suggest inspecting and replacing engine/transmission mounts and worn suspension components first. Then brakes, before you even think about speed.

Don't fear a transmission failure just because you've read about it on the Internet. People post sour grapes, not reviews of their long lasting transmissions. I'd wager the transmission failure is such a small proprpotion of overall TLs...do not be mistaken, the 07-08 and manual transmissions have their own issues. Maintain it and enjoy it, don't fear a failure because you came across someone else experience.

I could care less if mine failed tomorrow, I enjoy my ride, and have already committed myself to rebuilding it if, not when, it were to fail.

Looks aren't an "upgrade" in my opinion, $$$ better spent on maintenance. Looks often get unwanted attention as well. I enjoy my "sleeper."

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-24-2015 at 08:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ericcdong (11-26-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
I have the same car as you. I've added a CCI, j-pipe, hollowed out HFPCs, A-Spec suspension, progress rear sway bar...on an '06 AT. Those mods alone have completely changed the characteristics of my car, relearning its limits per se. Every time I've been behind the wheel lately, all I can think of is "I really should upgrade the front brakes." "My" car has an unexpected and ridiculous acceleration when already cruising at Interstate speeds.

Not sure why the TL in general and especially the AT are called "slow as shit." Mine isn't

To the OP, you definitely need to put your money on maintenance firsthand. I'd suggest inspecting and replacing engine/transmission mounts and worn suspension components first. Then brakes, before you even think about speed.

Don't fear a transmission failure just because you've read about it on the Internet. People post sour grapes, not reviews of their long lasting transmissions. I'd wager the transmission failure is such a small proprpotion of overall TLs...do not be mistaken, the 07-08 and manual transmissions have their own issues. Maintain it and enjoy it, don't fear a failure because you came across someone else experience.

I could care less if mine failed tomorrow, I enjoy my ride, and have already committed myself to rebuilding it if, not when, it were to fail.

Looks aren't an "upgrade" in my opinion, $$$ better spent on maintenance. Looks often get unwanted attention as well. I enjoy my "sleeper."
Speed is subjective however on my 08 TL i had injen cai, rv6 pcd, rv6 jpipe, atlp quad exhaust & tuned by vittuned using hondata flash pro.

I'm sorry but the car was still disappointingly slow. With all those mods it only kept up with a stock 03 G35 sedan. Sometimes i won, sometimes the G won but all in all it was neck and neck.

It couldn't keep up with any other car in its class besides the is250 or audi a4. Sure it was slightly quicker than a civic SI or golf GTI. Woohoo.

I was also lowered on coilovers and had a 24mm progress rear sway bar. I will admit the sway bar made a tremendous difference in body roll but sadly the car isn't a great handling car even with those mods.

I don't know what constitutes as "ridiculous acceleration while cruising at highway speeds" but i can only assume your TL is the fastest car you've ever driven?

The 5AT has ridiculous tall gearing especially in 3rd. Accelerating from 80mph to 120mph takes forever. The needle moves so slowly once you hit 100. By the time you hit 110 its like you've hit a wall. 110 to 120 is a joke.

I used to think my TL was somewhat quick until i got behind the wheel of a 300+hp car. Your perception of what's "slow" and what's "quick" changes immediately.

Even now i still itch for something quicker

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 11-24-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
I don't know what constitutes as "ridiculous acceleration while cruising at highway speeds" but i can only assume your TL is the fastest car you've ever driven?

The 5AT has ridiculous tall gearing especially in 3rd. Accelerating from 80mph to 120mph takes forever. The needle moves so slowly once you hit 100. By the time you hit 110 its like you've hit a wall. 110 to 120 is a joke.
Fastest I've driven no. My car climbs healthily, I feel 100 to 120 is the quick part...lol.

Maybe the improved j-pipe since you've installed yours

Not looking for a race car in my daily, or keeping up with specific cars...it's plenty quick and fast when I drive it. Even "dogging" it with the above mods, I'm seeing 20mpg.

"V2-R ATLP: The design resulted in very specific length 2.25" primary tubes, a revised collector merge design, and a 3" collector. More than just a j-pipe that deletes a cat, this pipe is tuned to give great power gains throughout the rev range. Awesome increases in mid-range torque and high end power."

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-24-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Life Connoisseur

FYI - I've owned 2 RX-7s and an RX-8. The TL handles better than any of them in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 AM
Life Connoisseur

Just to clarify the subjective nature of fun and speed in regards to the "sports" cars I've owned, including those mentioned above.

I've had more fun on these roads in the TL than any other car I've owned. Fast is subjective, not everyone seeks speed in a straight line.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

https://www.421thesnake.com/

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=zCuHCjSADLpo.kxeY2Q7xMMd8&hl=en_US" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Not sure where your locale is, but I enjoy mine and the drives that are available. The TL handles very well.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Life Connoisseur

Not sure what's up with hyperlinks:

421 The Snake - 33 Miles, 489 Curves, 3 Mountains, and 1 Valley

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap | Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
FYI - I've owned 2 RX-7s and an RX-8. The TL handles better than any of them in my opinion.
I'm no rotary or Mazda fan - but I'd say it is safe to say you didn't own an FD. Hell, I'm trying to figure out what you did own because I'd say even an FC would out handle the TL. a front heavy automatic luxury sedan can't compete with a 2700lb rwd 50/50 weight distribution coupe. Maybe your RX7s had major suspension issues or worn out bushings? There is also a difference in true handling and how confident you feel behind the wheel. Knowing the TL will push will give people some extra cajones vs a rotation happy rwd car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TL, but I know its limitations.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
I'm no rotary or Mazda fan - but I'd say it is safe to say you didn't own an FD. Hell, I'm trying to figure out what you did own because I'd say even an FC would out handle the TL. a front heavy automatic luxury sedan can't compete with a 2700lb rwd 50/50 weight distribution coupe. Maybe your RX7s had major suspension issues or worn out bushings? There is also a difference in true handling and how confident you feel behind the wheel. Knowing the TL will push will give people some extra cajones vs a rotation happy rwd car.

Eh, Ive owned and rebuilt an FC. My TL is better in every aspect. Granted my TL is 6spd and my FC was NA. The redeeming factor of owning an rx7 is supposed to be the handling and even that the TL is better in some ways. I would have to say the rx7s turning radius is simply amazing and it has an extremely well planted feel at speeds in excess of 100 where the TL feels very floaty. Everything else the TL is better.

Now if you have an FD or bridgeported engine or heavily modded FC thats a different thing, but for me I needed more comoftability for my daily drives to work plus all the tech or lack there of in an old car is super out dated.

The only thing I truly miss about rwd is drifting around parking lots lol. What you say about true handling vs confidence isnt true. The TL can pull more G force with good tires and in a safer more reliable way. In rwd when you go too into an oversteer and the car locks you cant save it or bring it back. On the track its fine but I almost died a few times in that car on public roads.

Last edited by GreenSpades; 11-25-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
OP take a good look around the interior of you TL. The soft leather. The exceptional amount of features it has for how old of a car it is. sunroof. Etc... Then take a look at your exterior. Body styling that is still up to date with brand new cars. The side markers. Your aspec front lip kit. The overall design of a 3G TL in my opinion is nearly flawless. A civic SI would be a HUGE downgrade. Please, do not trade your TL for a civic SI. In my town, every high school kid has a civic SI. And they all drive around racing anyone and everyone with their fart cans and what they all forget is that there civic SI, is SLOW AS BALLS lol. If you want fast, the TL is not for you. My previous car was an Mitsubishi Evo 9. I had a turbo back exhaust and a CAI on it so low 300's HP. I would womp on TL type s manuals all day. GTO's, ford lightnings, mustang gt's, 350 z's...So it was fairly quick. And still I wouldn't call my evo "fast". I remember racing a guy from a dig with a type s manual who had all the aftermarket engine stuff. Exhaust, J pipe, all the bolt ons, and STILL I beat him by a couple car lengths with my evo 9 (god I miss that car) with it STOCK, before i ever even put on the turbo back exhaust and CAI! So in short, like many have stated above, DO NOT waste your money on engine modifications, especially If you have an auto as this will only put unneeded stress on the already weak transmission.

Why did i sell the evo for a TL? The evo has pricey maintenance, higher insurance, Not a very good daily driver. Not to mention the speeding tickets and lawyer fees! On the other hand, the TL is an EXCELLENT daily driver. Hands down my favorite commuter car that I have owned. Comfortable on long drives. Reliable. If you take care of your TL it will take care of you. So keep it and maintain it for as long as you can.

Should you mod it? Hell yes! but keep it strictly Aesthetics. Aspec kit. Wheels. Coilovers. Truck lip spoiler, Cleared out headlights, custom tail lights etc. With a few tasteful aesthetic mods, people will break their necks to check out your car! Just make sure all of your maintenance is up to date before investing into modifications.
The following users liked this post:
ericcdong (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Life Connoisseur

Don't even know where to begin with this reply. All you gave are assumptions. It's apparent you've never driven a rotary. And the fact you felt the need to preface that with that statement made the rest hard to read. If that wasn't enough, you further assume my cars were junk???

"true handling" and confidence.....
Old 11-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GreenSpades
Eh, Ive owned and rebuilt an FC. My TL is better in every aspect. Granted my TL is 6spd and my FC was NA. The redeeming factor of owning an rx7 is supposed to be the handling and even that the TL is better in some ways. I would have to say the rx7s turning radius is simply amazing and it has an extremely well planted feel at speeds in excess of 100 where the TL feels very floaty. Everything else the TL is better.

Now if you have an FD or bridgeported engine or heavily modded FC thats a different thing, but for me I needed more comoftability for my daily drives to work plus all the tech or lack there of in an old car is super out dated.

The only thing I truly miss about rwd is drifting around parking lots lol. What you say about true handling vs confidence isnt true. The TL can pull more G force with good tires and in a safer more reliable way. In rwd when you go too into an oversteer and the car locks you cant save it or bring it back. On the track its fine but I almost died a few times in that car on public roads.
Ditto, the curves I've taken in the TL and the speeds I've entered them, no way in hell I'd have done that in any rotary I've owned, or rear wheel drive for that matter, not without modern traction control. Hell, the RX-8 handled on par, because traction control extended its limits.

That floaty feel in the TL went away after A-spec suspension was installed. Recently went on one of those fun rides above and had the whole family in the car, before A-spec suspension, they'd get woozy, none did after it was installed.

Agreed, rear wheel drives are fun in their own way, different driving style for sure, yes that turning radius was awesome. A driver's confidence doesn't remain constant across all cars, that's called overconfidence. If I drove the RX-7s like I drive my TL, they'd be in a ditch EVERY day. I hated rain in a rear wheel drive and would rather drive in snow, because you expected snow to be slick all the time. As I'm sure you'd agree as well

Seems there's a few factions around here:
1) Strictly stock guys
2) Aesthetic only guys (pretty much lipstick on stock)
3) Performance minded
4) Those that want to, or rather feel the need, to "whip" everything else on the road and think they're performance minded.

The first 4-door car I owned was a Q45, and I only bought it because of the power and comfort, I was well into my late twenties before ever owning a 4-door car. The TL is only my third. I don't count those tiny rear doors on the RX-8 lol.

It's unfair to compare modern rear wheel drive cars with traction control to those of yesteryear without, completely different beasts.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Life Connoisseur

I'll leave this here, only because someone above mentioned type-r in this thread for reasons I can't relate to the TL. I have all episodes. I don't see the RX-7 "whipping" the "weaker" front-wheel drive type-r teg. The FD had a supposed advantage in straights as well as corners.

Again, not everyone is looking for straight line speed for their enjoyment. And not many "races" are straight line. It's boring to drag any car and call that a "race."

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Ditto, the curves I've taken in the TL and the speeds I've entered them, no way in hell I'd have done that in any rotary I've owned, or rear wheel drive for that matter, not without modern traction control. Hell, the RX-8 handled on par, because traction control extended its limits.

That floaty feel in the TL went away after A-spec suspension was installed. Recently went on one of those fun rides above and had the whole family in the car, before A-spec suspension, they'd get woozy, none did after it was installed.

Agreed, rear wheel drives are fun in their own way, different driving style for sure, yes that turning radius was awesome. A driver's confidence doesn't remain constant across all cars, that's called overconfidence. If I drove the RX-7s like I drive my TL, they'd be in a ditch EVERY day. I hated rain in a rear wheel drive and would rather drive in snow, because you expected snow to be slick all the time. As I'm sure you'd agree as well

Seems there's a few factions around here:
1) Strictly stock guys
2) Aesthetic only guys (pretty much lipstick on stock)
3) Performance minded
4) Those that want to, or rather feel the need, to "whip" everything else on the road and think they're performance minded.

The first 4-door car I owned was a Q45, and I only bought it because of the power and comfort, I was well into my late twenties before ever owning a 4-door car. The TL is only my third. I don't count those tiny rear doors on the RX-8 lol.

It's unfair to compare modern rear wheel drive cars with traction control to those of yesteryear without, completely different beasts.
Never did get to drive the rx8. Thats interesting that you the traction control makes a good difference. You totally make me want to upgrade to the Aspec suspension, I think thats the weakest area on my car right now. I mean its not bad, I dont really need any more speed. I do a lot of turnpike driving now and I used to do 90% mountain driving every day. 3 times a day I went over a very popluar mountain and now I just drive in a straight line. Thats why I have a TL now and I loved the rx7 on that mountain road.

I am somewhere between 1 and 3 in your archetypes. I appreciate stock reliability and usefullness, but I also like to modify and I try to only get mods that have more positive effects and few drawbacks.

I still want to own an FD someday, maybe as a second car that is a project only pretty much. I am totally going to watch that video later. Gotta go to work for the rest of the night though.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Life Connoisseur

I say it enabled extending it's limits as I don't have the luxury of driving on closed courses. Otherwise, we'd all enjoy slinging rear-wheel drives around on narrow mountain roads Unfortunately, we can't anticipate oncoming traffic or what other drivers will do on the road.

Those that would do so are foolish.

I was foolish and pushed confidence, nearly taking out a Jeep Wrangler with my rear end on Deal's Gap and twice did 360s at a stoplights when just easing on the gas in both an RX-8 and RX-7...in the rain. I only disable TCS, VSA, or whatever proprietary system they respectively call them on dry pavement, even in the TL.

You bet driving is amplified with these driving measures turned off, but no way a sane person would push these cars to their limits on public roads with other drivers being apparent. A very limit is the other drivers.

When I do go on solo drives on some of the roads above, I prefer to go after midnight...so I can see oncoming traffic. This enables entering into those curves at 80+ MPH in the TL. I'd be a fool to do the same in daylight.

A few more hints in daylight drives and on unfamiliar roads you're "enjoying," (not pushing a car's limits) navigation on the TL zoomed out one notch is perfect for anticipating blind curves and can easily be matched to the speed you're driving to anticipation speed of the road. On non-navigation vehicles, I'll use power lines to know which direction the road is heading when I'm on a blind hill.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Talk about a thread going off topic....OP, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
Talk about a thread going off topic....OP, good luck with whatever you decide.
Don't think so, the OP inquired about modding his TL. I don't think that many would refer to an aesthetic as a mod that improves performance, which is the apparent "mod type" the OP was referring to. Sure the A-spec aero kit may improve drag ever so slightly, and as much as $$ per HP gain is thrown around here it's almost moot.

The anecdotal comparisons to other vehicles is relevant to how much more the TL can be enjoyed with true mods in regards to performance...which is what I feel he/she asked about.

If it got off topic it was others warding him off with transmission woes that likely won't manifest. Besides, the Accord transmission is cheaper than the aesthetic aero kit for the TL. I don't recall the OP inquiring about how best he can turn heads with aesthetics.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Life Connoisseur

Here's the answer that you seek OP and what others that fall into category 4 are mostly telling you:

If you want to do rolling start races...wasting your money.
If you want to do races from a stop...wasting your money.
If you want to whip up on everything on the road...wasting your money.

I'd be category 1 and 3 as well, but enjoy a nice looking ride, not expecting to take my car to a car show:

If you want to "tune" your vehicle to get more out of your car and not toss your dick around, well worth your money.

BUT, first and foremost, gain knowledge on what should have been taken care of maintenance wise and ensure these are OK. Again, I'd start with engine & transmission mounts and suspension components.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't even know where to begin with this reply. All you gave are assumptions. It's apparent you've never driven a rotary. And the fact you felt the need to preface that with that statement made the rest hard to read. If that wasn't enough, you further assume my cars were junk???

"true handling" and confidence.....
Oh believe me, I've driven a rotary, plenty of them. The best mod is to get rid of that damn wankel and install a proper motor. Sorry if I annoyed you, maybe you didn't have decent tires on your RXs and that is the difference, but as good of a car the TL is, it's not anywhere near ITR level of FWD performance.

You stick your tongue out when I mention true handling vs. confidence, yet you go on to post that you drive your TL much more aggressive than your RXs. THAT is the true handling vs confidence. A FWD car is more predictable and the VAST majority will push in a corner rather than rotate. An ITR is an exception - I've seen and experienced power on oversteer from them. The TL is NOT gonna do that.

You even said, "If I drove the RX-7s like I drive my TL, they'd be in a ditch EVERY day."

All that shows is you aren't as good of a driver as you think. Don't take that as a dis, it's not. Lots of people are much more comfortable with a FWDs nature than a RWD. It takes LOTs of practice to get comfortable with a RWD and letting the rear step out thru a corner while maintaining control.

This discussion (I don't like calling it an argument because that's negative) reminds me of a time when my friend and I were 'playing/racing' on some back roads. Me in my 6MT TL with all seasons and him in his FDRX7 - LS1 swap/Zeal coilovers, Pilot Super Sports - he had just finished the car and wasn't accustomed to it yet. I knew my TL - the FD can FAR outhandle (in EVERY aspect) the TL, and yet he entered a corner right on my tail, I knew the line and that I would push thru it and stayed in it, he wasn't quite so lucky and it rotated on him and he spun. I gave him hell for weeks, even though in any other scenario, straight line or curve, that car demolishes the TL. We also used to play exit ramp tag and the speed that car could maintain was insane.

But hey, we are all here because we have TLs, which means we like them.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's the answer that you seek OP and what others that fall into category 4 are mostly telling you:

If you want to do rolling start races...wasting your money.
If you want to do races from a stop...wasting your money.
If you want to whip up on everything on the road...wasting your money.

I'd be category 1 and 3 as well, but enjoy a nice looking ride, not expecting to take my car to a car show:

If you want to "tune" your vehicle to get more out of your car and not toss your dick around, well worth your money.

BUT, first and foremost, gain knowledge on what should have been taken care of maintenance wise and ensure these are OK. Again, I'd start with engine & transmission mounts and suspension components.
This i agree with 100%. The TL is by far the most ideal candidate for trying to be a speed demon - but it is exceptionally fun to drive, comfortable, and looks damn good.

I'm typically the person that would do power mods first -but on this car - I did suspension and wheels first. My mounts are still good - but with the miles , full bushings are on order next.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Life Connoisseur

Oh believe me, I've driven a rotary, plenty of them. The best mod is to get rid of that damn wankel and install a proper motor. Sorry if I annoyed you, maybe you didn't have decent tires on your RXs and that is the difference, but as good of a car the TL is, it's not anywhere near ITR level of FWD performance.

You stick your tongue out when I mention true handling vs. confidence, yet you go on to post that you drive your TL much more aggressive than your RXs. THAT is the true handling vs confidence. A FWD car is more predictable and the VAST majority will push in a corner rather than rotate. An ITR is an exception - I've seen and experienced power on oversteer from them. The TL is NOT gonna do that.

You even said, "If I drove the RX-7s like I drive my TL, they'd be in a ditch EVERY day."

All that shows is you aren't as good of a driver as you think. Don't take that as a dis, it's not. Lots of people are much more comfortable with a FWDs nature than a RWD. It takes LOTs of practice to get comfortable with a RWD and letting the rear step out thru a corner while maintaining control.

This discussion (I don't like calling it an argument because that's negative) reminds me of a time when my friend and I were 'playing/racing' on some back roads. Me in my 6MT TL with all seasons and him in his FDRX7 - LS1 swap/Zeal coilovers, Pilot Super Sports - he had just finished the car and wasn't accustomed to it yet. I knew my TL - the FD can FAR outhandle (in EVERY aspect) the TL, and yet he entered a corner right on my tail, I knew the line and that I would push thru it and stayed in it, he wasn't quite so lucky and it rotated on him and he spun. I gave him hell for weeks, even though in any other scenario, straight line or curve, that car demolishes the TL. We also used to play exit ramp tag and the speed that car could maintain was insane.

But hey, we are all here because we have TLs, which means we like them.
I'm sorry but you take the Wankel out, I wouldn't want to touch it...that made the car. No other sub $35,000 car I've driven compares to that engine sound. I've had more time behind the wheel of rear wheel drive vehicles than front. I trust my experience and confidence in respective cars, and don't feel the need to prove anything in a forum.

If I drove my TL like a rear will drive, the rear wheel drive will end up in a ditch. That has nothing to do with my skills, it's the car's limit...not my limit. Assuming things such as others' driving skills is a pretty bold thing to do.

Not sure if you're familiar with Deal's Gap (aka "The Dragon"), I took my RX-7s on it all the way from Alcoa, TN to Silvia, NC at least three times a week for well over a year. I can't think of another road to properly cut your teeth on.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-25-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts

Oh I didnt say my TL or any in general are slow... mine def got some pull and its a lot more fun to drive compared to stock but for the amount money I've put into "performance mods" I thought id get more out of it, but thats also because theres no tuning option for us. 3.7 IM and TB with full exhaust and PCDS would benefit from a tune massively. Oh well.

My maintenance is up to date, although Ill for sure be changing the motor mounts out come spring.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Life Connoisseur

Not sure if you're familiar with Deal's Gap (aka "The Dragon"), I took my RX-7s on it all the way from Alcoa, TN to Silvia, NC at least three times a week for well over a year. I can't think of another road to properly cut your teeth on.

Haha, that's Sylva, NC...Freudian slip after watching that video again.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Instructor

wow thank you for the post! you've made me completely look at my TL differently!
I guess i should be making the best out of my car, i mean, i just got it 9 months ago and my part time job security is currently not that good right now considering a potential boss change at work and shit like that. I should be saving all that money and using it to maintain my car now.
Should i ask my mechanic to just check over my mounts and such? How do i know the transmission mounts are going bad? i heard they dont show many signs?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trav2390
OP take a good look around the interior of you TL. The soft leather. The exceptional amount of features it has for how old of a car it is. sunroof. Etc... Then take a look at your exterior. Body styling that is still up to date with brand new cars. The side markers. Your aspec front lip kit. The overall design of a 3G TL in my opinion is nearly flawless. A civic SI would be a HUGE downgrade. Please, do not trade your TL for a civic SI. In my town, every high school kid has a civic SI. And they all drive around racing anyone and everyone with their fart cans and what they all forget is that there civic SI, is SLOW AS BALLS lol. If you want fast, the TL is not for you. My previous car was an Mitsubishi Evo 9. I had a turbo back exhaust and a CAI on it so low 300's HP. I would womp on TL type s manuals all day. GTO's, ford lightnings, mustang gt's, 350 z's...So it was fairly quick. And still I wouldn't call my evo "fast". I remember racing a guy from a dig with a type s manual who had all the aftermarket engine stuff. Exhaust, J pipe, all the bolt ons, and STILL I beat him by a couple car lengths with my evo 9 (god I miss that car) with it STOCK, before i ever even put on the turbo back exhaust and CAI! So in short, like many have stated above, DO NOT waste your money on engine modifications, especially If you have an auto as this will only put unneeded stress on the already weak transmission.

Why did i sell the evo for a TL? The evo has pricey maintenance, higher insurance, Not a very good daily driver. Not to mention the speeding tickets and lawyer fees! On the other hand, the TL is an EXCELLENT daily driver. Hands down my favorite commuter car that I have owned. Comfortable on long drives. Reliable. If you take care of your TL it will take care of you. So keep it and maintain it for as long as you can.

Should you mod it? Hell yes! but keep it strictly Aesthetics. Aspec kit. Wheels. Coilovers. Truck lip spoiler, Cleared out headlights, custom tail lights etc. With a few tasteful aesthetic mods, people will break their necks to check out your car! Just make sure all of your maintenance is up to date before investing into modifications.
Haha, yeah i see what you mean, thanks for the post by the way! Yeah i do understand what you mean by downgrade, like into a 200 hp, 170 torque SI , compared to the TL. I thnik for me, the new SI's look really sporty to me and the fact that the car is brand new and has many features thats for 2015 is quite fascinating to me. And yes, although insurance is a bitch, i know the Honda SI power is reliable. But i do love my TL, love it to death. In a nice white diamond pearl color. Looks great in the day and night! I guess you and what the above comments said. Focus on maintenance. Getting my car running right with new parts is whats best for the car. I do plan on getting some nice rims and tires for the summer for this car so ill see how it goes! .
but damn, i would've kept that EVO 9, jsut because its hella fast and i feel like the fact that its a sedan still keeps the family within it.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:37 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Topic.New Member Limited use allowed HELP, Please.. Need to Post . Thanks Everyone before handHey man my name is Nick from Tampa Bay, I just bought a 2004 TL from Craigs for $5125 at 111k, Have a new born and need something Safe and still sporty at the same time... I took it to local mechanic and checked out with weak power steering pump and bent rim, dark oil color tranny fluid .... drove a few miles felt smooth and positive...I decided to buy the vehicle.. On my way home I started to feel the shimmer/stutter/shutter (all names used in threads) at about 22-25 mph, then airbag light came , not to mention radio was a very low Max of 40... so not sure if that's why the Bluetooth (HTC?) wasn't working...Typical luck, not bad karma just another used car, but, man do I love this one..
So reading several hours of None Stop Info. with killer tutioals
Heres what I still need help with:
1. Doing a 3x3 = decided Redline, now I have a offer for 12qts of D6 for $100 or should I stick to D4 which I read in forum all about and about $150, only one person asked this question, even when searched through Google
D4 Vs D6 = ???

2. Going to change my 3/4 Tranny switches, I see some on Ebay that look identical, with the flush base, around $30 shipped (made in Tw) or Honda brand for $50.... Crown Acura locally wants $75 per switch

Oem off brand Vs Honda (same part #)

I am excited or soon to be frustrated about, installing new caps for the Amp see if that works for the audio, also gonna take my car by to check seatbelt, hopefully bad and replace by dealership

Oh one last thing ... I didnt read about anybody filter ing the fluid to reuse for flush, maybe dumb question, but why not (such as first and second flush)

would post page wide , but didn't find that avenue

Thanks for helping a young Marine in an old mans body, lol
Semper Fi
Nick aka MarineSaltyDog
Oh ya just liked all your feedback, post and encouragement to others, that why I decided to ask...Thanks so much