Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I guess you didn't see/or forgot about this image I posted on the 3rd page:

Hope you used those wire connectors. If so, easy fix with a little electrical tape.

Congrats on the install!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
I guess you didn't see/or forgot about this image I posted on the 3rd page:

Hope you used those wire connectors. If so, easy fix with a little electrical tape.

Congrats on the install!
yes I did. thanks. yep eletric tape to wrap the exposed wire. FYI, one of those micro screw drivers is your best friend. Removes the black clip on the locking pin in a jiffy. Also good for pushing connector clips in.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Thumbs up

Just wanted to bump this and make everyone aware that the 2nd group buy is now happening
This is an great mod, and relatively easy also thanks to detailed pics from a few of our awesome members.
here's the link

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/kptechnologies-window-up-module-group-buy-2-a-342697/
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Just bought mine! I waited for a long time, and now its going to be really nice using it

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Just wanted to bump this and make everyone aware that the 2nd group buy is now happening
This is an great mod, and relatively easy also thanks to detailed pics from a few of our awesome members.
here's the link

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342697
Old 07-06-2006, 11:55 PM
B A N N E D

I am going to do the same exact thing, i will do a write up with some pictures also if i get time to do it.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
here's the link

BUMP
only 4 more to go
Old 07-09-2006, 05:35 PM
B A N N E D

Now, heres a good question. Has anyone soldered the wires together and if so let me know how it turned out and if u have pics, that would b awesome
Old 07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Soldering requires you to splice the factory wires and get a hold of a soldering iron. A lot messier IMO.

I doubt most people will solder since the wire tap connectors are very easy to use. A 6 pack of these connectors for $2 and you just need a plier to clamp them down. Also, they can easily be removed and wires patched with electrical tape if necessary.

Just my
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the KPtech support forum for pictues of soldered wires. The 'scotch locks' are much easier, but are generally frowned upon in the automotive industry due to excessive vibration and moisture. We've had plenty of people use them with no complaints, but our recomended method is to solder everything.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
6speed NBP

does water get into the door panels when raining or washing the car on the TL? anyone?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EternaLlx
does water get into the door panels when raining or washing the car on the TL? anyone?

No. Notice all the plastic over the sheet metal? That's called a moisture barrier and it's what keeps the water from entering the cabin area of the panel.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
6speed NBP

ic well i didnt take apart my door yet cause i didnt get the module yet, i just wanted to know for sure. Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Where can you get this module?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Racer

There is currently a group buy going on that runs until this Friday, July 15th, 2006. Check out the group buy section on this site!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Look at post #163 for the link to the GB thread.

Ahh, what the heck, here it is again:

The GB has met its quota! $38.98 for the module shipped in US!

Just paypal this amount to Orders@KPtechnologies.com

Details in the link above.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

payment sent!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Shift Gears

Payment Sent
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Just a friendly reminder that the second GB for this module ends MIDNIGHT tonight.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:28 PM
8th Gear

Got a problem guys!

I installed my module today and followed the instructions and the diagram in this thread, but when i put everything back together and locked my doors, nothing happened. I took the door panel back off, to find my module smelly and smoking

I tried moving the yellow wire to a yellow that i found going to the power mirrors but it didn't help. I don't even know if I can use it anymore, cause the module might be burnt. Any ideas?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro

Mine smoked up a bit too when I had it installed incorrectly. On Kevin's advice I opened it up just to make sure nothing was burnt, the solder points hadn't made contact with other points... basically make sure it wasn't completely damaged.

KP's really good on warranty though. Mine still worked after the smoking incident as it hadn't damaged anything internally. I'd suggest opening it up and seeing if things are still good and if so, try not to wire it incorrectly this time!

If the unit is damaged though then just PM KP and he'll take care of ya!

ola!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gromice
Got a problem guys!

I installed my module today and followed the instructions and the diagram in this thread, but when i put everything back together and locked my doors, nothing happened. I took the door panel back off, to find my module smelly and smoking

I tried moving the yellow wire to a yellow that i found going to the power mirrors but it didn't help. I don't even know if I can use it anymore, cause the module might be burnt. Any ideas?
More then likely it wasn't the yellow wire that caused the problems. Typically, if the module is smoking or smells bad the green wire has been hooked up incorrectly. This will lead to one of two things, damagine component VR1 or resistor R13. R13 is spec'd to operate at 5 volts, if you connected it to a 12vdc source it will try and dissipate more heat then its currently designed to dissipate (this will be updated on our next parts order). Helraiser found that even with the resistor visiably burnt it still works as designed, when hooked up correctly.

If you do not have the proper tools to troubleshoot the install and you want me to take a look at the module shoot me a PM. I can test the module completely and make sure its operational, if its not I can fix it free of charge and send it back your way.

Let me know!

Kevin
Old 07-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Racer

Oh, and its also a very good idea to test the module before putting the door panel back on. At the first sign of smoke/bad smell unplug the module and reexamine wiring. Keep in mind that to fully test the module the power window switches have to be plugged back in!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gromice
Got a problem guys!

I just got your Email and it is R13 that smoked. If you have an ohm meter you can try and measure the resistance of the component (from one leg to the other). It should read ~47ohms. If you don't have an ohm meter you can try locating the correct wire and trying it out. I would say that there is a good chance that the module is still ok, but I wouldn't mind repairing the damage for you, if you wanted. Another option would be to go to your local RadioShack and buy a 47ohm resistor, cut out the burnt one and solder a new on in its place. Since its an output of the board it would be rather easy to acomplish this (contact me for more info if you want to go that route).

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Safety Car

Just for the record, what would/could cause the module to smoke?

It would give members something to make sure NOT to do.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Racer

The output on the KPtech module is limited to 100mA at 5VDC. This current limiting is done through the use of a 47 ohm 1/6 watt resistor (Ohms law: I=V/R). Under normal operation the 1/6 watt resistor is perfect, but if you connect this output directly to a 5 or 12 volt power source you can pull more power through the resistor then the rated wattage . The resistor, being small in size, can not effectively dissipate all the heat and starts to warm up and smoke.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM
6speed NBP

I installed it today at school soldering it and it went really well.
The timing took about 20 something trys to get it down to 2 clicks.

The first time i tired it out it didnt go up and i was like S__T what did i do wrong.
The teacher was laughing and then i tried again and it went up.
Good day except for this heatwave.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Racer

The best way to determine the timing is to stand right next to the car and hit the 'lock' button. If you listen you can actually hear the lock actuator engaging, and disengaging after about 1 second. Once the actuator disengages you can hit the button again and it should work. I typically leave about 1.5 seconds in between pulses just to make sure!

Good work on the install!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
8th Gear

Ok so my R13 resistor was burnt completely, luckily I found someone who knows how to solder, because it wasn't something I could've done myself. Trying again to install it, I followed the example much closer this time and everything worked

The problem was that I had tapped into the same colored wire, but at a different location. (Sorry FAST4DR i'm stealing some pics)
Instead of tapping the green wire to this white wire/red stripe

I tapped this white wire/red stripe here

Thanks for the help KP, and FAST4DR for the awesome guide. Anyone else who encounters problems, I recommend you tap the wires by color AND location, not just by color
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Racer

Awesome that you got it working!

KPtechnologies has spent a ton of time engineering these modules so that they won't be damaged, even if hooked up incorrectly. That poor little resistor did its job and protecfted the transistor and microcontroller! Hopefully we can learn from this and make some changes so that the resistor isn't put in harms way!

If you have any other issues with it let me know!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kpierson
Awesome that you got it working!

KPtechnologies has spent a ton of time engineering these modules so that they won't be damaged, even if hooked up incorrectly. That poor little resistor did its job and protecfted the transistor and microcontroller! Hopefully we can learn from this and make some changes so that the resistor isn't put in harms way!

If you have any other issues with it let me know!
Ok, i might have completely skipped this post, but where can i buy this kit? your title says "official vendor" so i was curious to see if you were the person i should talk to. thanks guys for the detailed info. i'm stoaked...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
B A N N E D

Here, i am just curious, can anyone that lives in northwest indiana, or somewhere close... possibly chicago area, I WOULD GREATLY appreciate it if you would be able to install this for me by SOLDERING, and I would definatly pay for the installation, thanks for all your responses, i may try and do this myself with clips... but idk... and i know people that can solder but i want someone that can help me iwth the door panel also. thanks guys have a nice day.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
Ok, i might have completely skipped this post, but where can i buy this kit?
The last group buy just ended and there are no plans for any future group buys this year.

KPierson did mention the company will be offering a discounted price for Acurazine members. Try calling them, since he seems pretty busy lately.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
Ok, i might have completely skipped this post, but where can i buy this kit? your title says "official vendor" so i was curious to see if you were the person i should talk to. thanks guys for the detailed info. i'm stoaked...
KPtechnologies' website is: http://www.KPtechnologies.com

Support info can be found at: http://www.KPtechnologies.com/forums

I can be PM'd with any questions.

We are planning on offering Acurazine a special discounted price, but I need to work that out with KPtech's business director. For the group buys I personally take all the orders, collect payments, and coordinate the shipping AND manufacture the units and test each and every one of them. It's actually a very time consuming task since I also have a 'normal' 50 hour a week job. If I can get him to hand the business side of these transactions then I can spend more time working on the 'new' stuff!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Cruisin'

Hey kpierson,

I sent my payment in over a week ago and already received my refund. When do you think I can expect it in the mail? Is there a tracking number? My zip is 91775, thank you.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Racer

The shipments to Cali tend to take a little longer then most places (We are located in Ohio). Almost all of the orders have shipped, but some shipped out later then others last week, and I don't personally have that info. We typically say to expect delivery in 5-10 business days.

We don't provide tracking numbers because we ship via US postal.

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Not to be a pest but i was just curious to ask how long should i expect to have to wait for my refund and what the typical wait time is for the product to be shipped to canadian customers? Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Racer

I haven't gotten around to processing the ordrers placed after the original end of the group buy. We let about 5 people in after it technically ended, and those who paid full price have not been refunded yet. That should all be taken care of by the end of today, as I get everything ready to ship out tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
05 TL

For some reason I didnt fully read the install instructions... And didnt attached the 2 wires to the gray plug, not the plug under the white plastic.

First try, nada. Got in the car turned the key to on; and the ac started blowing. Pressed off and nothing more a/c. Head lights didnt turn on without the key.

So I read the instructions, and saw that infact I was stupid. Corrected it, and same problem. Disconnected the adapter, same problem.

So I disconnected the battery.. (should be step zero of any electrical procedure) Started looking at the fuses. All were good under the hood. BUT under the dash there was a blown 7.5 amp fuse. Labeled Back-Up I think. Took the extra from the front, and all was good.

Works like a champ.

Now I need an auto down module... Besides the holding of a button.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Racer

ALL refunds have been issued, besides the person I already mentioned. If you think you didn't get a refund let me know.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
This is awesome! I just installed it this morning and love it

Quick Reply: KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097