3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the DIY... took me about 30mins to do the whole thing... Great Mod if you havent done it already.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Pro

Finally got around to installing this. Decided to solder all of the connections even though my soldering skills are pretty poor. Some of the connections were a little ugly but solid so figured they were alright and wrapped each real good with electrical tape. Tested it once after reconnecting everything, but before putting the door panel back on, and nothing. Then realized I didn't have the door pin pushed in to tell the car the door was shut. Tried again and it worked which was a relief.

After I put everything back together I tried again and......nothing. Tried several more times and still nothing. Came back to read more posts about it and figured it had to be my timing. After messing with it for at least 10 more minutes I realized I was actually waiting too long for the second press. For some reason mine works if you do the second almost immediately after the first which seems to go against what everybody else has said. Strange, but at least it works!

Thanks to all that posted here with useful info. Definitely couldn't have done it without the OP's post.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I'll probably do mine next weekend
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
i did mine on sat shit is pretty good
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^Nice Evan.... DId you do it so you can close the windows tapping the lock button on the door panel?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Originally Posted by jguerra23
^^^Nice Evan.... DId you do it so you can close the windows tapping the lock button on the door panel?
hmmm damn not sure if i did that.... is it possible? cuz right now i could just close it from my switchblade....

we'll check it out
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
hmmm damn not sure if i did that.... is it possible? cuz right now i could just close it from my switchblade....

we'll check it out
Yeah its possible kid. I have it set that way... well Rodney hooked it up for me. If i put my switch on position 2, i can tap the lock button twice to close all windows.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

i wired mine up with the t tap. it worked the first time.. so i put my panels on... the next day i went to try it and it doesnt work. i opened my panels again and took the t taps out and hard wired it..still doesnt work..the blue light doesnt even come one anymore...i have both alarms on my car the stock and viper 2 way..you think the kp module got fried?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Pro

From what I've read in this thread, if you think it got fried, the first thing you should do is open up the module and look for any physical damage (burnt connections, etc.).

I thought mine wasn't working (same as you, worked before I put the panel back on but not after) but it turned out I was just waiting too long for the second button press. From what I read, I was under the impression you had to wait longer than you really do. I assume you've tried messing with your timing already, but if you haven't, definitely try that before taking it apart again. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by mAC4rmthebACkoftheAC
i wired mine up with the t tap. it worked the first time.. so i put my panels on... the next day i went to try it and it doesnt work. i opened my panels again and took the t taps out and hard wired it..still doesnt work..the blue light doesnt even come one anymore...i have both alarms on my car the stock and viper 2 way..you think the kp module got fried?

Check your fuses!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Leather so soft.

Originally Posted by jweb12
From what I've read in this thread, if you think it got fried, the first thing you should do is open up the module and look for any physical damage (burnt connections, etc.).

I thought mine wasn't working (same as you, worked before I put the panel back on but not after) but it turned out I was just waiting too long for the second button press. From what I read, I was under the impression you had to wait longer than you really do. I assume you've tried messing with your timing already, but if you haven't, definitely try that before taking it apart again. Good luck.
yea i tried messing with the timing....and someone who has it on theirs tried on my car.....and nothing..

ima open it up.....thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Leather so soft.

Originally Posted by dwb993
Check your fuses!

thanks i shall check..but if the fuse is bad...then the window wudnt roll up manually??? or other things might not work????
Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just completed a successful install! I love this module.

Hopefully the wire taps will remain secure longterm. But opening the door panel was painless.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Originally Posted by Acura Sensei
I just completed a successful install! I love this module.

Hopefully the wire taps will remain secure longterm. But opening the door panel was painless.

yea the openin of the panel i could do with my eyes closed lol
good shyt bro
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I just finished installing this module on my 06TL. For anyone hesitating because they are unsure of wiring, don't know how to remove door panels, etc--STOP! This is an easy mod---WAY easier than I thought.
The picture I quoted proved to be the most helpful to me as it shows precisely where all of the taps need to be made.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread for making it as painless an install as it turned out to be.
Now go get yourself one of these and install it already!

[/I]
Originally Posted by datmrman
helraiser: 22-18 gauge wire taps are fine. They're easier to fix than splicing anyway.

Since you claimed earlier that you fried the module, do you think it still works? I think you need to find a multimeter to test your connections.

I added some notes to one of FAST4DR's pictures. This is how it looks like for the TL. Are you sure there isn't a gray plug above the two wire connectors for the TSX?

Remember that he tapped into the white window connector and is not using the loom behind the speaker, but, in comparing the two installs, both the KP green wire taps into that same gray plug on top for the TL.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jguerra23
Tell us how to do that!!

Also, Am I safe to assume that we can use this as a window down module too? I mean, in theory all you have to do is connect the Green (Door Lock switch output) to the Door Unlock Switch wire. And then Connect the Blue (Door Lock motor Input) to the Door Unlock Motor Wire. Reason i say this, is that it would be better to just press the unlock button twice and let the module do the rest.

Or has this already been thought about?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Leather so soft.

Originally Posted by abp_04tl
i did mine on sat shit is pretty good

fix mine!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Also, Am I safe to assume that we can use this as a window down module too?
The TL already has the down window feature. The module only adds the up window feature.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
How is this module wired to also use the inside door lock to roll the windows back up? Appreciate any help on this.......
Old 04-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
in for future referance
Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Install Complete

It took me about and hour for my 08 TL. I checked each wire with a DMM for the behavior described in the KP Tech instructions. The posted instructions were perfect, it worked first time. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
How is this module wired to also use the inside door lock to roll the windows back up? Appreciate any help on this.......
The KP yellow wire gets 12v to prevent the module from activating while the car is running. Using the OP wiring recommendation, when you shut off the car then open and close a door (stopping 12v to the windows and the yellow wire) you can activate the inside door lock button twice and the roll up will engage.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Oracle_Oracle
The KP yellow wire gets 12v to prevent the module from activating while the car is running. Using the OP wiring recommendation, when you shut off the car then open and close a door (stopping 12v to the windows and the yellow wire) you can activate the inside door lock button twice and the roll up will engage.
Well if you don't connect the yellow (12 volt when running) wire, that basically means you can use the windows up function whenever you so please right?

Thinking about not hooking up that yellow wire...
Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Well if you don't connect the yellow (12 volt when running) wire, that basically means you can use the windows up function whenever you so please right?

Fulani, that is the next thing to try. My door is buttoned up and I dont have time to test it at the moment. One watch area is while the car is off and the roll up is triggered it sets the security. I've set off the alarm pulling up the door lock post and exiting the car.

If any other users have the yellow wire disconected they could report on the functionality they observe.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 AM
under renovations....

Just installed mine yesterday along with my moleskins so I can tint. I soldered all my connections so I don't have to worry about that. Everything worked the first time so I'm pleased with this this install. The only thing I have to get down packed is the timing part which at some point will be secondhand nature. Just gotta keep fiddling with it. The install took about a half hour altogether.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Racer

The OEM BCM will prevent the module from working when the ignition is on (for safety reasons I assume). So, even with the yellow wire disconnected you still won't be able to use the module with the ignition on.

We rely on the yellow wire to provide a redundent ignition kill to prevent "auto upping" the windows while driving.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
i was wondering if there was a way to reverse this mod. i.e. with two clicks of the unlock button, the windows roll down. this would be helpful for when i get an aftermarket alarm when i get my remote start. the window roll down mod for the aftermarket alarm cost 100-150.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Drifting

I had the similar thought as you jokerman. asked that question here, and people said "the car already does it" Only issue is you have to hold onto the unlock the 2nd time. I also wanted to use a KP unit to window down as well.

Looking at the manual it seems plausible. Just connect the KP Blue wire to the Driver Door Unlock wire (yellow/green) And the KP Green wire to the White wire that feeds from the door lock cylinder to the BCM. (white wire will be towards car side of connector).

Wanna order one, and then install both at the same time, and see if it works. In theory it should work as you can lower the windows from the key hole right?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Racer

We've got a product that we don't have on our website that would be better suited - it is the HM20 with a second actuator input and a second control output. It will put the windows down if you hit "lock" "unlock" and will put them up with a "lock" "lock" command.

However, our modules are designed ONLY for the OEM alarm - we can't guarentee they will work with aftermarket systems.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kpierson
We've got a product that we don't have on our website that would be better suited - it is the HM20 with a second actuator input and a second control output. It will put the windows down if you hit "lock" "unlock" and will put them up with a "lock" "lock" command.

However, our modules are designed ONLY for the OEM alarm - we can't guarentee they will work with aftermarket systems.
Does the timing issue come into play with the HM20 as well? what is the dimension on the HM20? and cost? Wish I knew about that unit earlier.

Understandable that you can't guarantee it to work with an aftermarket alarm, But its all tied into the actual door lock motor wiring which is then controlled by the alarm. So I think it should work....

Also, that unit controls sunroof as well?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Racer

We've never had any demand for them so we never added them to the site. The price is $10 more for the added features. The timing is identical between both versions of the module. Most people aren't interested in this because the car can already do this from the factory.

Most aftermarket alarms are "smart" enough to know if the doors are locked and won't issue consecutive door lock commands if you repeatedly push the "ARM" button. Since our module works off of actual lock actuator pulses this means our module won't work with most aftermarket systems.

Both versions work through the key cylinder, so if the key in your key cylinder opens and/or closes the sunroof the module will do the same.

We can upgrade modules if you send them back to us.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Drifting

We've never had any demand for them so we never added them to the site. The price is $10 more for the added features. The timing is identical between both versions of the module. Most people aren't interested in this because the car can already do this from the factory.

Most aftermarket alarms are "smart" enough to know if the doors are locked and won't issue consecutive door lock commands if you repeatedly push the "ARM" button. Since our module works off of actual lock actuator pulses this means our module won't work with most aftermarket systems.

Both versions work through the key cylinder, so if the key in your key cylinder opens and/or closes the sunroof the module will do the same.

PMed
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

so if i get an aftermarket alarm, i need it to be able to send two consecutive lock or unlock commands in order for the modules to work. i really dont want to have to pay 100-150 more to get a new roll down module for the new alarm system. i hope i can get one that can send multiple signals.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

All KPtechnologies products carry a 'no questions asked' warranty. If it is damaged we will fix it for free.
I installed mine recently, worked perfect for couple of days now it doesnt seem to be working. what are the warranty procedures??
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wickie2000
I installed mine recently, worked perfect for couple of days now it doesnt seem to be working. what are the warranty procedures??

How did you connect the wiring? If you used T-taps, then you have a loose connection
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
G Force

How did you connect the wiring? If you used T-taps, then you have a loose connection
Well, I've used T-taps, but had the electrical tape wrapped the whole taps...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Yeah, then most likely you got a loose connection
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
G Force

Yeah, then most likely you got a loose connection
Agree...

Cuz, in my case, while using the Taps, I put too much pressure that I accidentally cut the wires.

And to solve it, I had to buy wires/cable to make the fix...

So, I guess probably is a loose connection....
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
under renovations....

You're best bet is to solder everything. I did that and have had no problems whatsoever. I even realized that once you hit the lock button once, wait like half a second then hit it again so it beeps then the windows will close. I was hitting the lock button three times which was my mistake at first.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
04TL4L

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
You're best bet is to solder everything. I did that and have had no problems whatsoever. I even realized that once you hit the lock button once, wait like half a second then hit it again so it beeps then the windows will close. I was hitting the lock button three times which was my mistake at first.
I've never used a soldering tool. How hard is this? where exactly would i solder the cables together? I've had the module for about 1 week a half now and i havent installed it yet do they sell soldering tools @ autozone and such or at a hardware store like home depot.

Quick Reply: KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097