Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097

I finished up my install and here are the details...

Start off by removing the door panel (duh!). There are four phillips screws holding it on. To get the panel off the door you reach along the bottom edge and pry back with your fingers and the panel will "pop" off the door. Work your way around till you get towards the top. Then start lifting the panel at the lock end straight up until you have the panel off the edge. You won't be able to move the panel far because of all of the wiring harnesses. Lean it back and disconect the harnesses to near the top towards the mirror. Then you have to remove the cable for the door handle. Take your thumb and rotate the black part toward the door, then pull the green part out and lift the cable out of the holder. The next step is to reach under the windows switches and push in the clips on the wiring harnesses and pull out the connectors. Now you have the door panel off.

The wires used are...

On the White connector...

KP Red -goes to- Large Green/white stripe = 12 volts all the time
KP Black -goes to- Black Wire = Ground
KP Yellow -goes to- Small Green/White strip = Switched 12volts(when you turn on the ignition this wire gets 12volts that will keep the module from working when the ignition is on and/or car running.

On the wiring harness...

KP Green -goes to- white/red stripe (the one at the wire harness connector up under the white door plastic)
KP Blue -goes to- Yellow/black stripe (the wire branches off the main thick harness bundle going toward the door lock)

Use a small screwdriver and pry back this little cover....

In order to get the door panel off, you have to disconect the door pull cable. You simply rotate the black part off the end of the cable, then the cable will pull out.

When your taking the door panel off these are the prongs that you have to press in order to get the connectors out. You press in and pull on the harness at the same time and the connectors will come out.

These are the clips that you can get at any auto parts stores. You simply place one side over the existing wire and then slide in the KP wire(you don't strip the wire at all, just push it in) then squeeze the metal part with a pair of plyers and close the flip over part.

Here you see the blue and green wires attached...

Closup of the three wires attached to the window harness...

The completed install...

I applied some double stick tape to the back of the module to adhere it to the styrofoam block in the door panel...

Not sure if you need to do this, but I installed an inline fuse on the KP red wire and put a 5 amp fuse in it. Just a little piece of mind for me.

Module attached to styrofoam block...

After that reinstall in reverse order.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Will
The following 3 users liked this post by FAST4DR:
mcmguti (05-31-2013), peter6 (05-27-2016), petsheep (03-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice write up! How long did the whole install take?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Excellent write up! I know it took you a while to create this, so my hats off to you. Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Nice write up! How long did the whole install take?
Not really sure since I went to dinner in the middle of it, and I had to figure out which wires were which. I guess I spent 2-3 hours fiddling around. I mean everybody is going to be different, but it shouldn't take more than a half hour to one hour if you have everything ready and now you know what wires to attach to. You can get the door panel off in about 2 minutes. I zipped tied everything together and then zip tied the KP module to the wiring harness, leaving plenty of length to easily attach to the door panel and then attatched one wire at a time and cut each wire to fit exactly.

I say take your time and make it neat.

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
Excellent write up! I know it took you a while to create this, so my hats off to you. Thanks!!
Thanks datmrman, I enjoy helping out. I had way more pictures and was going to show every single little step, but figured this was enough.

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Oh almost forgot... About the yellow wire. It is there so that if you have the car running and the windows down and somebody locks the doors twice with the interior door switch, the windows won't go up.

But... The wire that I have the KP yellow wire attached to, the small green/white, only has 12 volts when the igition switch is in the run position.

If you get in the car and put the key in and only turn one turn to get the radio to come on, that wire does not have 12 volts. I could not find any wire in the door that would energize when the key was in the accessory(radio on) position.

So... If you are driving somewhere and you stop the car and shut the engine off but leave the key in the accessory position(so the radio stays on) as soon as the timer goes off letting you operate the windows after the car has been shut off that small green/white wire looses the 12 volts and now the KP module will operate. So if somebody presses the door lock button twice, the windows are going to close.

Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

The reason I mention it is because I know I am going to pull up somewhere, shut the car off, but leave the radio on and run into a store with my wife waiting in the car and she is going to lock the doors and probably press twice to make sure there locked and if any of the windows are slightly cracked or sunroof open they are going to close on her. Not my problem though, cause I will be in the store, ahhahahaha.

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
outstanding write up. Can't wait to get my module so I can do this. Thanks FAST4DR for the detailed description and great pics.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice man, I will deff be looking into this mod in the future...........

I never understood why they would let you open everything with a touch of a button, but not close it up.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the windows raise if the key is in the ACC position? In most other cars, the BCM will not allow remote window control if the key is turned to any position.

We don't fuse this module for the simple fact that the power source is already fused (power window fuse). If something were to happen to our module it would blow the power window fuse which you can replace without taking the door panel off. Your fuse isn't a bad idea, but if it were to blow for some reason you will most likely be taking the door panel off to replace it. The only time we supply a fuse is when the module is intended to tap power from the cars main power feed (under the column). Adding a fuse at the module for the window module is strictly at the installers discretion. I don't have a fuse on mine in in my G35 or in my fiance's Accord.

Excellant write up!!! Good work. The install looks great, and I love that mounting place. I also like how you can tap the lock actuator without taking the speaker out, that saves a step.

As stated in another thread I'm going to be out of town this weekend so I will be unavailible for questions. If anyone has any questions ask away and I will answer them before I leave.

thanks!

Kevin
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Racer

Will,

Did you by chance check to see if the white/red wire is in the green connector as stated in the service manual? With the two harnesses being in such close proximaty I don't think its a big deal at all, but it would still be nice to know.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
321 whp SAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Is The Model #???
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Racer

Thanks for the write-up. I just installed mine and its working perfectly. Your directions were a huge help.

For those using wire-taps, 18-22 guage from Radioshack worked for me.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What exactly does this product do / how does it work?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro

It allows you to roll up all the windows/close the sunroof from the remote. Basically what you can do by sticking the key into the lock and turning it twice towards lock and holding the second time. Also the exact opposite (closing vs opening) of what happens when you hit the unlock bottom on the remote twice, holding it the second time.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

in hot weather this mod is invaluable
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Pro

excellent writeup. can't wait to get my module and hopefully i can adapt this writeup to the '06 tsx
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great writeup! Looks like I'll be trying mine this w/e!

Dave
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM
321 whp SAE

have a compustar alarm/remote start.. have to see if this will work or not
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kpierson
Will the windows raise if the key is in the ACC position? In most other cars, the BCM will not allow remote window control if the key is turned to any position.

Kevin
Yes, if you get in the car and turn the ignition to position 1(ACC position), which turns on the radio, and you tap the lock button on the door panel twice, it activates the module and the windows/sunroof close.

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kpierson
Will,

Did you by chance check to see if the white/red wire is in the green connector as stated in the service manual? With the two harnesses being in such close proximaty I don't think its a big deal at all, but it would still be nice to know.
I never really paid attention to that, but from one of my pictures, yes it seems as though there is a white/red wire in the green connector. I could pop the panel back off and do a continuity test to see if you want. The white/red wire gets grounded when the module activates, correct? Simulating holding the key in the door to the lock position. Right?

The KP blue wire is watching for two 12 volts pulses within 1.5 seconds to activate the module, correct?

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Instructor

For people reading this and aren't familiar with the module and are wondering how it works etc. and correct me if I am wrong KP Technologies...

This is basically a fancy timing circuit. It's not doing anything different than the car can already do.

When you get out of the car with all the windows down and press your remote lock button, your doors lock. When you press the remote button again within 1.5 seconds, the KP modules blue wire senses the two door lock pulses and it activates the unit, which then activates the green wire from the unit to simulate you holding the key in the lock position. It opens the green wire circuit for a preset length of time long enough for the windows to roll up and the sunroof to close, just like you can do by holding the key in the door lock in the lock position.

If you don't want to roll the windows up or they are already up, but you want to hear the cars confirmation beep to tell you the doors are locked, you simply press the remote once to lock the car then count to 2 or 3 and press the remote lock button again. The car will beep, but is won't activate the KP unit since the time between lock pulses went over 1.5 seconds.

It's really nice to have all the windows down and the sunroof open, pull up somewhere, shut the car off, jump out, shut the door and press the remote lock button twice and as you are walking away all the windows are going up and the sunroof closes.

Will
Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Racer

Our module is designed for OEM integration, and can not be guarenteed to work with aftermarket alarms. Most aftermarket alarms have AUX channels that can control the windows, if wired/setup correctly.

The timing circuit is just a small part of our module. Other parts include the double pulse trigger, and the two shutdown/abort circuits (3rd door lock pulse and ignition). We've tried to make this mod as safe as possible by giving the end user total control over when it starts and when it stops.

The 'brain' of our module is a 1.2mhz processor with about 500 lines of custom code.

I once was going to convert our logic to relay logic using standard timer relays and automotive relays, but never got around to it. I think I calculated needing four separate timer relays and a few different SPDT relays. It can be done using only relays, but you'll end up spending much more money, and the installation would be a bear!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks for this write up....I can't wait untill mine gets here!!!

I still think Acura should have done this at the factory!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Excellent write up. I may have to try this one out. What is the part number is compatible with the TL? Is it the one for the Honda Accord; which is part number HM20 on the KPtechnologies website? Someone asked this above, but no one posted an answer.

I just might have to order one of these. Certainly worth $60 if it is a very clean and easy installation.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

The thread for the original group buy (which is now over) is here: KPtechnologies Remote Window Up Module Group Buy. The instructions that came with the module is for the 7th Gen Honda Accord, so HM20 might be it.

KPierson mentioned he will be offering the units at a special price once he restocks. So just stay tuned.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Outta my way!!

Thank you for excellent writeup fast4dr! Waiting for my module to arrive
Old 05-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Will, Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!

Got the KP Technologies Window roll up module too and now you just saved me a lot of time and headaches!

Your install is spotless, very professionally done. The pics are awesome too!

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Since this thread answers most of the questions which will arise, and in an attempt to consolidate everything into one thread, I have closed two previous threads dealing with this subject, and removed them from the 3G Garage.

They provide an interesting history, but this thread provides the most definitve and up-to-date pictures and instructions on the installation.

Just so they don't get lost, because each thread was very helpful in its own right, and still provides a lot of usefull information, here are the links.

Windows up, roof close, from Fob (DIY + pics)

KPTechnologies Auto Window-Up Module Attempts
Old 05-20-2006, 03:36 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Taking pictures and labeling them as well. Great stuff, have a beer on me!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Pro

4hrs later I think I finally fried the KP module. I doubt this'd be covered under warranty but meh... I've given up on getting it installed myself as I found the TSX wires to be different from the TL's. There's yellow black with silver dots, yellow black w/o silver dots, no pure yellow but yellow and green, there's black with silver dots, black without and well trying to figure out which was which I've given up - well, actually gave up when i started smelling burning solder.

Hey KP, is this covered under warranty? if not no worries. I'll just have to wait for a PnP mod that comes with a pass-thru attachment for the window module with jumpers to everything or more pics of successfull '06 tsx installs. Only other option would be taking it into the dealer. Would rather not do that but damn... glad i didn't attempt it last night as I'd planned.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Advanced

I just installed this following your excellent writeup... works great. One question, when I hit the lock button twice and hear the confirmation beep, I hear what sounds like the doors locking again and then the windows roll up. Is this normal?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Racer

The Nissans/Infinitis and the BMWs/Minis all lock the doors before putting the windows up. The Accord and the TSX do NOT lock the doors first. I have never done a TL, so I don't know if it locks the doors or not. If it does, its not a big deal, and can actually serve as audible confirmation that the windows are going to raise.

Hellraiser,

All KPtechnologies products carry a 'no questions asked' warranty. If it is damaged we will fix it for free. Have you checked out Moda_way's DIY? I haven't done an '06 TSX but I've done an 04 and an 05 and they were both the same as far as wiring goes.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Outta my way!!

My KP Tech module arrived. The installation took me 1 hour, however I was verifying every wire with multimeter (just for a peace of mind) and adding a second stripe of moleskin to the window wipers during this session.
Module works great
Thank you everybody for your contribution!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yourpoison
One question, when I hit the lock button twice and hear the confirmation beep, I hear what sounds like the doors locking again and then the windows roll up. Is this normal?
I believe this is normal. Lembowski and I installed ours successfully as well, and I've noticed that you will here the doors lock before the windows roll up.

If I remember correctly, when trying this with the key in the door, you will also hear the door lock before the windows roll up. Sorry I can't confirm this, because I just did the shave door mod too.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Racer

I actually like the noise you hear when you lock the car correctly. On my 350Z, there was no way to hear whether I pressed the buttons to quick or not.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Racer

Haha, I think the Nissan door lock actuators are louder then the horn!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

As stated above, lembowski and I were finally able to meet to fix our module install. The problem was that we originally tapped into the white/red stripe wire of the white connector, but should have tapped into the white/red strip wire of the wire harness (the same location as FAST4DR and chustaveb). Once we made the swap, everything worked as it should. It only took us a couple of minutes. We are pros at removing the door panel now.

Here are some additional notes that I would like to add:
  1. Don't forget to roll down the driver side window before removing the door panel.
  2. When a wire is denoted "green/white stripe," it means the green wire with a white line stripe. Most of the wire should be more green than white so as to not get confused with the white/green stripe wire that is also nearby.
  3. Using 22-18 Gauge Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors (from Radio Shack) made the install really easy; no soldering, no wire stripping
  4. The timing between the lock button presses to activate the module takes some time to get used to. What I've found is helpful is to listen for the sound of the doors locking. Once you hear that sound, press the lock button again and wait. You will hear the doors try to lock one more time and then the windows will roll up! I have gotten mine to work on 2 key presses, so that I will hear the confirmation beep with the windows rolling up.
  5. I've noticed the back windows will roll up a few miliseconds before the front and sun/moon roof.

It took me about 30 min to do the install on my car (after going through it once with lembowski). Very doable.

Anyone in the SoCal area that would like assistance with this mod, feel free to PM me. I travel between San Diego and Irvine/LA during the weekends and I would be glad to help you out.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the installs!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Pro

i noticed there were multiple white with red wires in there but one that had silver dots and one that didn't. which wire would I use? this happened with others. another thing, there was no purely yellow wire, yellow with green, yellow w/ black, yellow w/ black with silver dots, etc.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Hi helraiser, I saw your previous posts. The main question for you is, where are you seeing these wires? In the loom behind the speakers or in the white connector of the window harness (I'm thinking its the loom behind the speakers since you have a TSX)? Those two locations are currently the two wire tapping locations known to work. PM me and I'll try to help you out.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:31 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey datmrman,

I have an 06 TL as well...did you find that the color wires in your 06 were the same as fast4dr? If so, I am going to order the module and follow the pictures in the install exactly....also...didn't know if you knew when the next group buy was with KP. Thanks!

Quick Reply: KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097