3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An honest question about reliability. Please weigh in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said the car was a lemon. And if you're just going to poke at me, or roll your eyes, you can see your way out of my thread. I thought this was a site for adults.
OP also that car had a recall on the power steering hose and control arm. Why did the dealership charge you to replace those?

I stand by my original statement of being cautious with those bastards.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
OP, what do you expect to get out of this thread? Are you looking for others who share the same experience as you? Because you likely won't find many. Even if you do, it won't change the problems you had with your car. So, serious question, what do you expect to get out of this thread?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM
So not a sociopath

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
You must be thinking of the older Lotus cars. My Lotus is dead reliable; Toyota engine and transmission.

I'm an adult, and use this car as my cruiser, and daily driver. I bought it to keep it forever, and have treated it with respect from day 1. In my opinion, there is very little that needs to be maintained in 80K, but I've done everything except the timing service, which I feel is unnecessary from everything I've read.
How many miles does your Lotus have?

If it has 80k as well, that's impressive, but if it's <40k like I'm betting. Not exactly fair to compare a garage queen that sees the best driving conditions on a good weekend to the daily that sees it all.

I'm sure life would be easier if I weren't 110 miles from the dealer, but it's the choice I made because I trust my local dealer to be able to diagnose, and fix any problems that I can't fix myself.
Local, where do you live, the middle of desolate Montana?

This isn't meant to be offensive OP, but you're that dealerships wet dream.

"Hey, think we can convince Andrew that slight vibration he's feeling are all three of his engine mounts going out?"
"Probably, he never takes it anywhere else for a second opinion."
The following users liked this post:
DuoDSG (02-27-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Visual Echos, it does sound like you are having atypical reliability let's hope from here out you won't see any further issues. My 2006 TL also had a bad belt tensioner and it was spotted by the dealer who did my timing belt at 105K miles. The 3rd gen also seems to have power steering pump issues as mine was also replaced. But, as many folks have stated cars are mechanical and anything can go wrong. Just enjoy the fact you drive an awesome car! Good luck!
VisualEchos (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:45 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I feel your pain OP. I've had two TLs now and neither have been very reliable. My 2nd gen needed a new transmission (dealer covered it on the house), new motor mounts, two window regulators, some ac regulator, and more.

Thought the 3rd gen would have been better, but so far I've had to replace an axle, compliance bushings, timing belt tensioner, door handle cover, and starter. The power steering pump occasionally whines even after changing the o-ring. Oh, and this thing eats tires like no other. I paid over 3k in service and repairs in the past year.

Oddly, my dad's 2nd gen Odyssey has only needed one motor mount in 200k miles of service. That's it. Still on original transmission, knock on wood.
VisualEchos (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by thegipper
I have both. My TL (04) and a newer Toyota Camry SE V6 (2011) and granted the camry has less miles and is much newer, the quality of the Toyota is unmatched. The TL has a much nicer fit and finish but when it comes down to reliability, Toyota's are just more reliable, hands down. I know that is blasphemy on this site. While your TL problems seem to be the exception and not the rule, they are still very reliable and nice cars. I have had a few issues with my TL, none of them have been major (knock on wood) but it definitely has had its share of problems. And unfortunately, when there is a problem, plan on spending some coin because parts for these cars are not cheap.

PS. If you think your TL is "unreliable", please own a Pontiac or a Ford for a while. Shit even the high end German cars are mostly garbage these days and are even more expensive to fix.
First, let me simply say that I agree with you on your first point. Toyota/Lexus quality (reliability, fit and finish, etc) destroys Honda/Acura every time. No doubt about it. I had a 3rd gen TL and even though I loved that car, it gave me more problems then any Lexus I've ever dealt with (ES350, IS250 6MT and IS300 5AT). The IS250 and the IS300 were not very well maintained aside from regular oil changes and an occasional wash. Yet both were much more reliable than my 3rd gen TL could ever hope to be! I owned the IS300 for 6 months before giving it to my younger brother as his first car and aside from the fading paint on the fenders, the thing is a tank. Still 100% reliable, still as strong as when I got it with 70k on the odo and he's no car guy at all. He treats it like crap and it just keeps pushing. My dad's ES350 has over 100k on it and his still leaps ahead of my former TL in terms of maintenance and reliability thus far. In my ~25,000 miles of ownership, I spent more money on maintaining the TL than I did on enjoying it. That car was something else in retrospect. Gorgeous to look at from every angle, decently fun to drive, but stressful.

As for your second point, the old days of unreliable american cars are long gone. I have friends with fords and Pontiacs (LS1 and LS2 GTOs) that would run circles figuratively and literally around the TL in terms of both performance and reliability. And believe me when I say that they do not baby their cars by any means. They beat the living shit out of them and yet the only bad things I've heard about the cars are - "Shit, I need a new set of tires. Oh crap, gotta change my oil soon. Fuck, I need a new set of bushings for my rear LCA's at 130k." The Americans actually fair quite well now. Hell, the Goats were more reliable than my S2000!

Originally Posted by ggesq
I personally wouldn't do any repairs and just trade it in for the Lexus you've been talking about. In the end, you'll end up spending more on repairs than what you'll get on a trade in excellent condition.
OP, get the Lexus. It sounds like you're just waiting for a reason to pull the trigger anyways.

Originally Posted by honda_nut
I feel your pain OP. I've had two TLs now and neither have been very reliable. My 2nd gen needed a new transmission (dealer covered it on the house), new motor mounts, two window regulators, some ac regulator, and more.

Thought the 3rd gen would have been better, but so far I've had to replace an axle, compliance bushings, timing belt tensioner, door handle cover, and starter. The power steering pump occasionally whines even after changing the o-ring. Oh, and this thing eats tires like no other. I paid over 3k in service and repairs in the past year.

Oddly, my dad's 2nd gen Odyssey has only needed one motor mount in 200k miles of service. That's it. Still on original transmission, knock on wood.
My 3rd gen also gave me boatloads of hassle while my mother's '04 MDX just kept it pushing at over 150,000 miles. Odd that you encountered something similar.

OP, I'm no Acura hater. I love the third generation TL. But if you're truly uncomfortable with the amount of "problems" you're having then simply sell the car. It sounds like you want the Lexus more anyways.
The following 2 users liked this post by D's Up:
se05 (02-28-2015), VisualEchos (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:27 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by YungMoola15
OP also that car had a recall on the power steering hose and control arm. Why did the dealership charge you to replace those?
I didn't take it to Acura, I took it to my local Honda dealer, who didn't know anything about the recall. We've had the same address since we purchased the Acura, but they have sent no information regarding these recalls.

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
OP, what do you expect to get out of this thread? Are you looking for others who share the same experience as you? Because you likely won't find many. Even if you do, it won't change the problems you had with your car. So, serious question, what do you expect to get out of this thread?
Yes, I'm looking for other people who have had the same experience, and to find if there is anything else that is likely to go wrong within the next 120,000 miles. I purchased the car with the express intent to own it for 200K with few to no problems.

Originally Posted by CrazyEights
How many miles does your Lotus have?
I'm not going to get into that with you. This is an Acura board, and this thread is about my Acura TL.

Originally Posted by CrazyEights
This isn't meant to be offensive OP, but you're that dealerships wet dream.
Think what you like.

Originally Posted by D's Up
OP, I'm no Acura hater. I love the third generation TL. But if you're truly uncomfortable with the amount of "problems" you're having then simply sell the car. It sounds like you want the Lexus more anyways.
I want 200K worry free miles from a $40,000 luxury car, and it appears that's a bit too much to ask. I do think the Lexus is a better car, in terms of reliability, I'm just not happy with starting over.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 AM
9 mpg.

Get the Lexus. I'm not attacking you or intending to come off like a prick, I genuinely support the idea of you picking up a Lexus instead.
VisualEchos (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM
So not a sociopath

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not going to get into that with you. This is an Acura board, and this thread is about my Acura TL.
You're the one who started comparing your low mileage garage queen Lotus to your DD TL OP...

Go buy yourself a Lexus already.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said the car was a lemon. And if you're just going to poke at me, or roll your eyes, you can see your way out of my thread. I thought this was a site for adults.

1) You did NOT use the term lemon, but you did question the reliability of your $40,000 luxury car, when you have had trouble free vehicles previously from the same maker. You are unsatisifed with it, find it beyond the acceptable norm, and want out. I will stand by my statement that you consider it a lemon. Or at least a lime. These small problems leave a sour taste in your mouth. Also note that I put quotes around the term lemon in my prior reply. That was intended to connote a specific literary effect.

2) The roll eyes smilie is tagged "sarcastic", which is how I intended my suggestion that you replace your disappointing TL with another TL be taken.

3) You started the thread but I don't consider it "yours". I still think there is some value here so I will contribute. Comparing the 3G to other vehicles seems a reasonable topic for discussion in the general sense.

4) I am not sure if this is strictly a site for adults or not, I doubt I read the TOS that closely but you may have. In any case, I am almost certainly over the median and mean age, and I am an adult by all classifications of the law and most classifications of societal norms.

5) You should buy a Lexus. I don't think you should make all the repairs you are planning before you sell though.

By the way, nice photos!

Last edited by The2007TL; 02-23-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Some cars are just unlucky in terms of reliability. You just have to know when to cut your losses. If my 3rd gen needs another costly repair, its out. That's just how it is.

I'm already eying the GS350 F; just need the TL to hold me through for a couple more years.

Last edited by honda_nut; 02-23-2015 at 11:22 PM.
YungMoola15 (02-25-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have none of your issues in my TL at 161k miles. My wife's lexus IS does have the famous carbon build up/cold start misfire problem though at only 56k.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 06 TL with almost 170k miles, and have done most of what the OP has had done/needs to do. Except for the A/c...that sucks and I hope Acura chips in a little there. So I guess you can say that by age, he did alright..by mileage, not as well but still within range of comparable cars.

Sure an IS250/300 might have a couple less things to fix, but they cost more to begin with and to maintain...so I don't think you would do anything more than just break even by having one instead of the TL. Statistically, it is very close.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Acura/Honda is reliable but their reputation reliability isn't close to Lexus, with that being said Lexus isn't a perfect problem free car either. I had a 2001 IS300 with the following issues.

1. CEL is on cause by leaking in the EVAP system (common problem for the is within 35k miles).

2. The notorious gas pedal unresponse issue was suppose to be corrected when new but that never happened (only happen when you slowing down around 10 mph and when you jam the gas nothing happened until couple seconds later.

3. FM radio receptions is suck ball.

4. Rack and pinion is leaking, rear main seal leaking, vvti seal is leak and had to remove the tb to get access to it.

5. Bad map sensor which dealer completely miss diagnosed.

6. Famous carpet entrapment gas pedal causing the car almost impossible to stop, happened to me thank god it was me driving and NOT my wife.

Other Lexus in the family has issue too such as.

2008 LS 460 currently has 71k miles on the clock roblem with Brake master cylinder cost for fix is $3700 at Lexus dealer, this is a knowing issue since the car was new. Lower ball join is leaking and need to be replace since Lexus dealer refuse to press the ball joint out they asking to replace both lower control arm at $570 each for part and 2 hours of labor. ML amp is blew because again it's common for Lexus with ML surround sound.

2003 GS300 has the following issue, both ball joint was replace because of leaking and don't want it to brake without notice, this also another notorious issue you can find all over the Internet. Cluster light is somewhat dimmer than other gs300, rear main seal is leaking. Valve cover leaked.

2001 LS 430 with rear main seal leaking, both tire rods and lower control arm was replaced at 75k miles.

2000 GS300 lower ball join broke and cause $6k in damage luckily we know couple used parts and save on money.

After all the bad experiences with Lexus, I wouldn't name the brand as unreliable, I consider most of the stuff and wear and tear and yet only one thing is a major I seen so far is the brake master cylinder from the LS460. Other than that I have no problem buying another Lexus and same goes for my Acura, I don't like Acura because lately their product has nothing to wow me.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Or you buy a Mercedes and spend more time at the dealership getting it fixed than you do driving it
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
Or you buy a Mercedes and spend more time at the dealership getting it fixed than you do driving it
I find that statement funny because it's so NOT TRUE. Did you have personal experience or witnessed a friend/family member go through something similar to that?
ggesq (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Mercedes only expensive to maintaining other than that they actually rated more reliable than bmw or Audi.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
I did actually - Friend with a C class purchased new from the lot. I suppose it might have been a lemon, but the amount of strife that car gave him pushed him in the direction of BMW, which he's been very happy with. I'm aware its a broad generalization and I'm sorry if no one got the humor involved

That being said, I find it hilarious that 50% of Audis I see locally have failed LED DRLs. We're talking almost every second vehicle that comes into my workplace
Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Note to correct myself that on the LS460 the part fails is the "brake actuator".
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I feel your pain OP and also questioned the long term reliability of the TL. Since taking ownership last year, my TL has been in the shop almost every month & to be honest I almost traded it in because of the grief it was giving me. I decided not to trade in because I am too far into the repairs & I can't afford to give up on it now.

You are at the beginning stages, fix & stay or just move on. It sounds like your mind is made up on the Lexus. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
D's Up (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 PM
9 mpg.

Sell it! Buy a UGR Aventador. Bam, problems solved. Crazy reliable, decent get up and go and conservative styling that will withstand the test of time.