3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Should I just total my 2008 TL Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
OP, I guess the VIN won't have a salvage title, but it will show there was a 14k claim on it. Not sure what's worse. How would you feel looking at a car that shows it had a 14k claim?

What I don't understand is that since you decided to keep the car, why wouldn't the insurance company just pay to fix the damages? From the sounds of it, that would only cost them like 4k. Or did they estimate the damage to cost 14k and that's what they're paying you? I haven't heard of many insurance companies (if any) using oem parts, so that price seems super high.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:49 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hey Taco.... I'm not sure what will happen to my type s at this point ... I'm definitely gonna at least put it back together... I just ordered bumpers and side skirts unpainted for about $1,000 total.. Gonna go for paint for about $700 total... At that point, I might see how much a dealer would give me in trade in value, or maybe try selling it on Craigslist for whatever I can get... Honestly if I can't get more than $9,000 for it I will probably just pocket the money and drive my type s until it dies...

And to those wondering.... The $14,000 was paid out instead of being repaired because they said it was "risky" and that it might go over this amount so they told me to either total it for 18k or take the Max (80%) of what geico was willing to pay towards repairs and keep the car...

The car still runs like a dream... New motor mounts and a valve job only 600 miles ago... sigh..... We shall see after I fix it... Either way I'm guessing I won't be dissappointed..

Last edited by jbtruong; 12-14-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 AM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought tl's were safe! But who the heck would want to steal it? I best setup my cloud wifi cameras...........................
Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-lover
I thought tl's were safe! But who the heck would want to steal it? I best setup my cloud wifi cameras...........................
Any safe car can get broken into..

Do you have any pictures of the damaged interior?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
IMHO a 14k claim showing up for theft related stuff is better than 14k worth of damage from a collision. If the OP keeps records of pictures and parts replaced to show a potential buyer it will help.

Knowing now what the OP plans on doing, I would have just got 18k and got into a new car but that's me.

I'm also interested to see what the interior looks like. OP can always buy a used S interior from a junk yard, craigslist, our Black Market or wherever.

Good luck OP and keep us updated.

Last edited by ggesq; 12-14-2014 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I also would like to see some picture of the damaged interior.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Knowing now what the OP plans on doing, I would have just got 18k and got into a new car but that's me.
That was my thinking as well.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
OP I would get $18k and buy another lower mileage type s but after reading your post, I honestly don't have a problem buying a theft recovery vehicle as long as it does not involve in a collision. Who care if it is showing up in carfax? Beside it only get report if you bring to dealer, if you choose to put used part then the chance of being clean on carfax around 80%.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by truonghthe
OP I would get $18k and buy another lower mileage type s but after reading your post, I honestly don't have a problem buying a theft recovery vehicle as long as it does not involve in a collision. Who care if it is showing up in carfax? Beside it only get report if you bring to dealer, if you choose to put used part then the chance of being clean on carfax around 80%.
The dealer has nothing to do with the carfax. It's the insurance company and the DMV that out things on the VIN. There is a claim on that car.

I'm curious though, does the carfax actually state what kind of 14k claim occurred? I've seen some reports in the past that just stated there was a claim, with zero additional information and a dollar amount beside it. I wonder if that was just laziness on someone's part who entered the info.

Nonetheless, OP, I think you have a good grasp of the situation and you have some potential options still, in regards to keeping or trading in. Hopefully everything works out in your favor by the end of the day!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ my dad drove my 2nd gen TL and crash into a lady, I brought the car to a reputable body shop for repairs using geico as insurance, they fix the whole thing and three years later I sold the car and the buyer was like " is this car involved in an accident before? My response was "nope" since we sold the car way below market price with 86k miles on the clock. I m surprise to see he did brought a carfax report with the correct vin and yet the status is "clear" as no accident. I hope it just prove you wrong, carfax only show accident if it's reported and may be you need to read carfax more carefully. I try to tell people all the time DO NOT use carfax as a bible.when come to buying used car, it's your responsibility to check for all the vin sticker match with ACTUAL vin on the car.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
wow its a no brainer. Take the 14k, fix the exterior and sell it for 14K.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 AM
10th Gear

The only parts of the interior that are bad are the front seats... It looked like they tried removing them but couldn't... I'll post pics later when I have a chance...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ my dad drove my 2nd gen TL and crash into a lady, I brought the car to a reputable body shop for repairs using geico as insurance, they fix the whole thing and three years later I sold the car and the buyer was like " is this car involved in an accident before? My response was "nope" since we sold the car way below market price with 86k miles on the clock. I m surprise to see he did brought a carfax report with the correct vin and yet the status is "clear" as no accident. I hope it just prove you wrong, carfax only show accident if it's reported and may be you need to read carfax more carefully. I try to tell people all the time DO NOT use carfax as a bible.when come to buying used car, it's your responsibility to check for all the vin sticker match with ACTUAL vin on the car.
You my friend, committed fraud.
The following 5 users liked this post by ggesq:
corrado85 (12-15-2014), Franchise1124 (12-15-2014), NBP04TL4ME (12-15-2014), robocam (12-16-2014), TacoBello (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

^ my thoughts exactly. Great, another shady member. *facepalm*

Just because it doesn't show up on the carfax, doesn't mean it didn't happen. That is a truly shitty thing to do. It sounds to me like it was more of a clerical error on Geico's part. Dealerships DO NOT input stuff under a VIN number. Why would they? Do you think they want to sell a car with accidents on the history? If that was the case, no dealership would ever put anything under the VIN.

Jesus, man...

Last edited by TacoBello; 12-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
man, you just admit you committed a fraud back then. that's shady
Old 12-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts

This is why I'm so unsure of buying used cars these days because people like you. Shady as hell.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats pretty easy, how much is the car worth as is, obviously more than $4k, so take the 14k and sell the car as is, or fix it up. You will come out ahead guaranteed
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
i mean if you plan to fix it up then why don't you just drive it ?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 PM
-NoSuchThingAsTooLow-

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i hope karma gets those thieves..what a NICE way to come back from a vacation.......
Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
WTF?! Not cool bro.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I'd take the 14k, fix that bitch up, drive it til the wheels fell off or sell it.. either way.. profit.

If you don't have the means to fix it yourself and get the parts at a decent price.. take the 18k.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:45 PM

If one were to really perpetrate fraud, steal own parts from car.. adjuster cuts you a check, keep car, put parts back on.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
i dont think a v6 2013+ accord would "fly and smoke the TL"...I think it would be pretty equal, and at best walk on the TL.

OP, I'm pretty surprised they didnt steal your rims given everything else they took. Any chance of a part out or anything? I'm located pretty close by in riverside and also have a black tl-s so we can swap any parts
actually for the power they have the new accords are SLOW.. TL are in the upper 5's for the type S and the Accord is CL-S territory of low 6's for the 0-60 runs
Old 12-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

dude, you should be beaten with a spiked Louisville slugger bat until you don't move anymore.... Just remember that Karma is a beotch and she isn't a rookie by any means...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Ok people just get rediculous, The car was sold back in 2010 its a 2000 TLP with 86k miles on the clock market value wise goes for $8000-$9500 (at that time). I actually sold the car for $3200 with all three keys, user manual and perfectly running good with a brand new TB/WP. Why the price is low? Dealer offer me for $2500 as trade in value and well the car has alot of ding (its not like the whole door is dented but from shopping cart and other car in the parking lot) so I do adjust the price if the owner decide give the car a new paint job. As far as the buyer he asked "what kinda of warranty do I get (as I provide him with a warranty) on a $3200 used car" on top of that he want a deal breaker low as $2500 (really?) that when I decide to don't want to deal with him at all but then he keep calling and calling to purchase the car. yeah I did shaddy him for that much, at the time the lowest price I seen on a similar TL is $6500 that WITH a trany issue listing on cars.com. The buyer isn't dumb either he brought his friend which has a 01 CL-S and asked me for all the paper work specificly on the AT service like 3x3 so I did provide all service paper work from Acura dealer everything from Honda recall AT to 3x3 ATF, also he called the dealership on to asked for more info so it not like he doesn't know what he get himself into. Yeah I took more than 50% loss on the car market value so I am shaddy just like that.

As far as for people jumping the gun how about this for fraud "Adult owned, NEVER RACE, HARD DRIVEN and yet CAI, catback, cats delete is visible there listing here on AZ.com may I ask what for? doing under the speed limit like grampa drove off from church service on sunday? and yet no one ever jumping the wagon calling fraud. If you don't like to buy a used car then buy a new car and speaking of FRAUD, how its when you buy a brand NEW TL from Acura dealership and later wash it and realize it was repainted (seem like the car is damage during shipping) and yet that dealer told you "go F** yourself". Most of you act like "yeah I 'm perfect" I am appoligize to living in a "perfect" world with you all then after I took a tremendous hit on the finiancial size trying to adjust the car value. There always some flaws in used car and my advice for used car are "don't think you get a perfect deal with a 0% issues on a used vehicle" I heard alot of people crying about "oh my alternator went out" or "car need new tire rod". Well people that why it's called USED car, if you don't want to deal with all of that then the CPO lot is there to welcome you.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Ok people just get rediculous, The car was sold back in 2010 its a 2000 TLP with 86k miles on the clock market value wise goes for $8000-$9500 (at that time). I actually sold the car for $3200 with all three keys, user manual and perfectly running good with a brand new TB/WP. Why the price is low? Dealer offer me for $2500 as trade in value and well the car has alot of ding (its not like the whole door is dented but from shopping cart and other car in the parking lot) so I do adjust the price if the owner decide give the car a new paint job. As far as the buyer he asked "what kinda of warranty do I get (as I provide him with a warranty) on a $3200 used car" on top of that he want a deal breaker low as $2500 (really?) that when I decide to don't want to deal with him at all but then he keep calling and calling to purchase the car. yeah I did shaddy him for that much, at the time the lowest price I seen on a similar TL is $6500 that WITH a trany issue listing on cars.com. The buyer isn't dumb either he brought his friend which has a 01 CL-S and asked me for all the paper work specificly on the AT service like 3x3 so I did provide all service paper work from Acura dealer everything from Honda recall AT to 3x3 ATF, also he called the dealership on to asked for more info so it not like he doesn't know what he get himself into. Yeah I took more than 50% loss on the car market value so I am shaddy just like that.

As far as for people jumping the gun how about this for fraud "Adult owned, NEVER RACE, HARD DRIVEN and yet CAI, catback, cats delete is visible there listing here on AZ.com may I ask what for? doing under the speed limit like grampa drove off from church service on sunday? and yet no one ever jumping the wagon calling fraud. If you don't like to buy a used car then buy a new car and speaking of FRAUD, how its when you buy a brand NEW TL from Acura dealership and later wash it and realize it was repainted (seem like the car is damage during shipping) and yet that dealer told you "go F** yourself". Most of you act like "yeah I 'm perfect" I am appoligize to living in a "perfect" world with you all then after I took a tremendous hit on the finiancial size trying to adjust the car value. There always some flaws in used car and my advice for used car are "don't think you get a perfect deal with a 0% issues on a used vehicle" I heard alot of people crying about "oh my alternator went out" or "car need new tire rod". Well people that why it's called USED car, if you don't want to deal with all of that then the CPO lot is there to welcome you.
when someone ask you straight question and you follow up with a LIE. thats your choice

dont need to write 50 shades of grey here. no one has time to read.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM

fraud (frôd) noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=Majofo;15274711]fraud (frôd) noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

in this case I actualy lost money, thank you.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

are you suffering from cranial rectal inversion? When someone asks you a question about the condition of a car, you just straight up lie to them?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

You make Forrest Gump look like Stephen Hawkings
Old 12-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
i dont think a v6 2013+ accord would "fly and smoke the TL"...I think it would be pretty equal, and at best walk on the TL.

OP, I'm pretty surprised they didnt steal your rims given everything else they took. Any chance of a part out or anything? I'm located pretty close by in riverside and also have a black tl-s so we can swap any parts
I could comment on this, my friend had a 2013 accord coupe v6 auto and i pulled on him by a car in my 2005 auto tl with a few mods.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

You missed the part about personal gain You still unloaded a car to a buyer for money without disclosing the truth when asked. If it was given away for free then that's one thing but that's not the case.

Plain and simple...the buyer asked you a legitimate question and you lied. All that other dribble you spouted off is just nonsense.

Last edited by ggesq; 12-23-2014 at 05:26 AM.
M.I.N.O. (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

[QUOTE=truonghthe;15274724]
Originally Posted by Majofo
fraud (frôd) noun

So, essentially, you're a stupid fraudster.
The following 3 users liked this post by TacoBello:
ggesq (12-23-2014), M.I.N.O. (12-23-2014), thoiboi (12-29-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Arguing with a lawyer..
ggesq (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
are you suffering from cranial rectal inversion? When someone asks you a question about the condition of a car, you just straight up lie to them?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

You make Forrest Gump look like Stephen Hawkings
In all seriousness, what if they don't ask? I've struggled with this myself because I typically know so much about my cars, whereas when I buy a car most people have never opened the hood, so if there is a problem its my responsibility to find out. Not necessarily an accident, but say an oil leak or check engine light
Old 12-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by nokkieny
In all seriousness, what if they don't ask? I've struggled with this myself because I typically know so much about my cars, whereas when I buy a car most people have never opened the hood, so if there is a problem its my responsibility to find out. Not necessarily an accident, but say an oil leak or check engine light
If they ask, you should feel an obligation to answer their question truthfully. Obviously there are unscrupulous people and won't tell you the truth.
If they don't ask, unless your conscience it going to be killing you or you couldn't live with yourself - it's on the buyer. They need to do their own due diligence in purchasing a used vehicle and go into it with open eyes. Some folks may not agree with this approach and I guess it depends on which direction your ethical / moral compass directs you. Would you feel differently omitting information when trading in a vehicle to a dealer? If you do, then ask yourself why is that?
YeuEmMaiMai (12-25-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
By most states and countries I believe you should divulge known issues with anything you sell, aside from the moral and ethical implications of not telling them, as they can get back at you by the way of the law.
YeuEmMaiMai (12-25-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:21 PM

Not entirely sure that is true. Especially if he bill of sale denotes "sold as is."
Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado85
did they take your navi/audio system?

I would take $14k and search easily for bumper and interior replacement..

heck you still got your headlights on which is good. this project does not seem unrealistic
I'm with this guy you can easily return the car to its former glory.

who cares if the car has been vandalized. Invest 4k and use the 10k for another vacation, or put a nice down payment on another car and part out the salvaged tl-s.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 AM
10th Gear

Hello all...GOOD NEWS YOU GUYS!!!!! Painted and ready to go is my car... And after parts for the front, rear bumper and side skirts... Plus paint of course, I'm out only about $2500....

Now as discussed before... I'm still leaning towards getting a new car to replace my baby... Just because of the "violated, bad feelings" about the car... After getting her fixed up though Im having regrets again..damn ... Haha but anyways...

I got it appraised for trade in value at the local Honda Dealership today and they quoted me $13000 for it towards a new 2015 Accord Coupe V6 Nav.... Minus the rest of the insurance check I got I'd only would pay about $4,000 out of pocket... Not bad considering!!

Now at this point I'm deciding between a 2015 Accord V6 Coupe Nav or a Base 2015 Acura TLX 2.4L

I know both aren't really in the same class... But those are the two that I feel comfortable "upgrading" to... One major difference is obviously the engine sizes, but another concern is the accord has the CVT transmission vs the dual clutch automatic in the TLX....

Which one would you guys choose? Another other suggestions?

She's whole again!!!!

Quick Reply: HELP!! Should I just total my 2008 TL Type S?