Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello everyone, newest member here...looking to purchase a TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Hello everyone, newest member here...looking to purchase a TL Type-S

Hi All. I just found out about & signed up for the forum though am not an Acura owner at the moment. I'm actively in the market for an 07 or 08 Type-S, 6-speed. Color is not a deal-killer except black, not crazy about white but would buy one if the right price, miles, etc., prefer a-spec body kit, prefer two-tone interior.

No need to tell youz that the car I'm hunting for is a bit of a rare breed, though findable. There are some on cars.com, etc. that would fit the bill however they're located in the northeast. (I'm in Colorado.) I'd go out-of-state for the car, no problem -- but have had bad luck with 5+ year old NE cars. We bought one sight/unseen in 2012, an 05, & it was a rolling under-carriage rust bucket.

For this age of car I'm expecting 100k'ish on the odo, would like to be in the $14 to $16k range, would purchase a car with after-market j-pipe/exhaust but more than that would be a case-by-case basis.

So anyway, I'm just putting word out to a community of enthusiasts & asking you to keep your ears to the ground. I'm not some wannabe who's wasting people's time. 49 years old, have the cash, ready for a new car...just sold my Nissan Maxima 2 days ago. For the right car, right miles, right condition, right price - I'll buy it & either fly out/drive back, or have it shipped. Post here or hit me on whollyfit1 at earthlink dot net.

Appreciate the time and willingness to help if you are able. Have a joyous and merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
welcome aboard! another (potential) colorado member.

come join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/328801920602698/
Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Check autotrader.com I think there might be some in FL, TX or CA. That's where I would buy if I could. I think I checked today and saw one in TX. A-Spec are super rare, so best of luck there. Or check CarMax and search all their locations. I see one on Autotrader in NJ with A-Spec body kit and A-Spec wheels, but black. Sounds like you are looking for Eleanor...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobCSU
welcome aboard! another (potential) colorado member.

come join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/328801920602698/
Just submitted membership request. thx
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wil5on0701
Check autotrader.com I think there might be some in FL, TX or CA. That's where I would buy if I could. I think I checked today and saw one in TX. A-Spec are super rare, so best of luck there. Or check CarMax and search all their locations. I see one on Autotrader in NJ with A-Spec body kit and A-Spec wheels, but black. Sounds like you are looking for Eleanor...
Eleanor, indeed. But just b/c I have a thorough wish list doesn't mean any & everything else gets ruled out. I've got cash and patience. Hopefully can score on most if not all desired criteria.

I saw that one on trader - but, as mentioned, the NJ thing is slightly terrifying. I guess I could ask NE owners what kind of rust resistance they've experienced with their cars...but we got into a bad, bad situation with my wife's 05 Outback which came from MA. I mean rusted everything underneath it. Made me very gun shy.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Welcome! I have been there done that multiple times. I have actually owned a couple 6mt Type S's and had to travel for both of them. Since you dont seem to be too picky about mileage, you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding the right one. Its when people want very low mileage, and a specific color combo that it gets difficult and time consuming.

Im not sure how the undercarraige of a 100K mile TL would look, but I purchased an 08 Type S from near Philly with 23K miles and the underside looked new. Its always a bit of a gamble when buying out of state, but I guess its a risk you gotta take if thats what you want. All my out of state car purchases have gone very smoothly with great results. Either I have gotten really lucky, or its just because I did my homework prior to making the trip...or both.

Derrick...I just replied to your PM you sent me, only to find out it said you exceeded whatever. Maybe thats because your post count is low and you are new. Luckily I was able to copy it before I lost it all. Here is my reply PM to you:

"Hello and welcome to the forums. Im actually in the process of replying to your thread right now. As for where to search here is what I like to use.

-cars.com (iphone app) I use the app on my iphone and its awesome! You can even save specific searches so its real easy to go back anytime and look for exactly what you want and see if any new ones have popped up.

-autotrader.com (iphone app). I dont use this one near as much, but its another search engine that works. Although the app itself is not as good as the cars.com one.

-ebaymotors Im always browsing around on ebay. Every now and then good vehicles pop up on there.

-craigslist (believe it or not). I know a lot of people get scared when the word craigslist pops up. Yes it can be very shady, but it can also be a VERY good tool for buying and selling. I found my "holy grail" Type S on craigslist in Atlanta (im in Chicago). It was a one of kind find that was not listed on any other site so thats why you have to consider it otherwise a good one can slip by. I found mind last summer with 4,900 miles!! Flew down to Atlanta and drove it back and to this day love the car! Just google "search all of craigslist" and you can search the entire country in one search.

Merry Christmas!"
Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
There seems to be a nice silver TL-S with 60k miles up for $18,000 at a pretty big dealer who ive had a good buying experience from. Reedman-Toll auto world.... If you're interested, I'd be willing to check it out for you
Old 12-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Welcome! I have been there done that multiple times. I have actually owned a couple 6mt Type S's and had to travel for both of them....
Thanks for the reply, brudda. Yeh, I'm not nearly as concerned with mileage as I am ownership. The Maxima I just sold had 226k on it & was in better shape than half the ones out there on craigs with 90k - b/c of the way I kept it. I'd actually prefer a well-owned TL with say 110k - assuming the first major service has been done on it, thus saving me the $2k (or whatever) I'd be shelling out in a year or so if I bought one with 80k.

Your internet eyeball system is pretty much what I've been doing - with the exception of the 'search all of craigslist'. Never knew about that. Talk about a time saver. I've been monitoring craigs but doing it city search by city search. PITA. Funny you're in Chicago & bought one from Atlanta. I was born in Morgan Park (Bulls, Bears Cubs all my life) & actually did find one in a town outside ATL, a red 6-speed for about $17, but the poster has been unresponsive so it may be sold.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL-GIXXER
There seems to be a nice silver TL-S with 60k miles up for $18,000 at a pretty big dealer who ive had a good buying experience from. Reedman-Toll auto world.... If you're interested, I'd be willing to check it out for you
I absolutely would be int'd, if you're willing to do a drop by tire-kicking for me I can't tell you how appreciative I'd be! Again, being a NE state I'm gun shy about rust - but if a forum guy who knows these cars gives it a once-over & reports back that its clean, that'd go a long way toward alleviating that anxiety.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Oh wait...I just visited their website, is this the on?

Used 2007 Acura TL Type-S For Sale | Langhorne PA

If so....shifts gears the wrong way.

drat
Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Would you maybe be interested in seeing the undercarriage of some TL's to get an idea of how they hold up? My TL-S has seen two winters and has 42k on the odo. My parents have an 05 with 160k on the odo that has seen just about every winter since it was made. My TL-S lived in CT its whole life until this year, and the 05 lived in PA until 2 years ago. Both are in NE Ohio now. If you want, I can take a few pics of both tonight when I do my transmission fluid change. Both are bone stock.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Its not clean as southern car I can guarantee you that.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SgtSir440
Would you maybe be interested in seeing the undercarriage of some TL's to get an idea of how they hold up? My TL-S has seen two winters and has 42k on the odo. My parents have an 05 with 160k on the odo that has seen just about every winter since it was made. My TL-S lived in CT its whole life until this year, and the 05 lived in PA until 2 years ago. Both are in NE Ohio now. If you want, I can take a few pics of both tonight when I do my transmission fluid change. Both are bone stock.
I absolutely would. Could be some photos & info that others on the board appreciate & may make its way into a long-term sticky or something like that too.

The car we bought from the Boston area was a Subaru - which do have a reputation for being rust-prone. Could be that Honda/Acura do a much better job of treating and/or using more corrosion-resistant materials & it never becomes an issue...or at least, not for much more time. I just know that if I plunk down $15k+ for a car, fly out, drive it back, and it has so rusted they cannot be removed, etc., underneath it - I'm gonna be ready to shoot somebody.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

OP depend on how the previous owner taken care of the car, I wash my TL undercarriage every weekend during winter time to help slowing down the corrosive issues.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DerrickW
I absolutely would. Could be some photos & info that others on the board appreciate & may make its way into a long-term sticky or something like that too.

The car we bought from the Boston area was a Subaru - which do have a reputation for being rust-prone. Could be that Honda/Acura do a much better job of treating and/or using more corrosion-resistant materials & it never becomes an issue...or at least, not for much more time. I just know that if I plunk down $15k+ for a car, fly out, drive it back, and it has so rusted they cannot be removed, etc., underneath it - I'm gonna be ready to shoot somebody.
I'll post up some pics later tonight!

Originally Posted by truonghthe
OP depend on how the previous owner taken care of the car, I wash my TL undercarriage every weekend during winter time to help slowing down the corrosive issues.
I think the pics I'll post up later will do a good job of capturing the good and the bad. My TL-S was garage kept it's whole life and has only seen two winters. It gets cleaned often, though probably not as well or as often as yours does. The 05 probably never saw a garage in the last 4-5 years, and it gets cleaned once every month or two if it's lucky. My mom isn't exactly a car enthusiast. But it's still far from a total POS.....for now anyway.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

And here is what new looks like, well except I took these pictures last summer at 7 years old :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by JTS97Z28:
JTYankFan (12-21-2014), paperboy42190 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've seen the black on black type-s 6 MT in New Jersey at a Mini dealer with 121k on it..pass. Friend up there test drove it and he said it seemed to have had a rough life, no maintenance history and had been smoked in.

Chris
Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by millafied
If you've seen the black on black type-s 6 MT in New Jersey at a Mini dealer with 121k on it..pass. Friend up there test drove it and he said it seemed to have had a rough life, no maintenance history and had been smoked in.

Chris
Thank. But black is out anyway. After my last one (Mustang SVO, owned it 1992-94) I swore I'd never own one again. Wouldn't wish a black car on my worst enemy. Don't get me wrong - they look great. Especially when clean..........and therein lies the rub.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Thank. But black is out anyway. After my last one (Mustang SVO, owned it 1992-94) I swore I'd never own one again. Wouldn't wish a black car on my worst enemy. Don't get me wrong - they look great. Especially when clean..........and therein lies the rub.
Surprised you held on. Everybody knows the pain. Moved from a silver car I didn't care about about to black TL. It hurts everyday. Silver you never need to wash.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
Yes that's the one I was referring to. Oh well, if you find something else near philly the offer still stands
Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Just dug this one out. Looks like it may be worth a look. JTS - is Hanover in your area of Chicagoland at all?

2007 Acura TL 6 Speed- Type S - TOP OF THE LINE
Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Just dug this one out. Looks like it may be worth a look. JTS - is Hanover in your area of Chicagoland at all?

That rebuilt title.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by polobunny
Surprised you held on. Everybody knows the pain. Moved from a silver car I didn't care about about to black TL. It hurts everyday. Silver you never need to wash.
Indeed. My wife's car is silver & its a glorious thing. My last Maxima was "champagne beige"...the Nissan gold color and that was fantastic. I mean you had to be right up on top of it before you could really see how dirty it was. I hate driving a dirty car & could stretch it out weeks between washes.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Yes Hanover Park is somewhat local to me, but it says in the add it has a rebuilt title. Maybe you missed that.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by polobunny
That rebuilt title.
Good catch...I didn't see that first time through
Old 12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Just put up on autotrader, no pics yet:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...stingId=0&mmt=[ACURA[TL[TL%257CType-S]][]]&listingId=389492727&Log=0

Could someone post a link to a "desert mist metallic"? That's one I don' think I'm familiar with. thx
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

James your car doesn't count since on all the mileage on every TL-S you ever owned are probably less than my TL lol.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by truonghthe
James your car doesn't count since on all the mileage on every TL-S you ever owned are probably less than my TL lol.
lol yeah I know, but it was as a reference to see what the undercarriage looks like new. Then you can compare based off that :-P
Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Ok so as promised here are a few pics. The first set of pictures is my parents 2005 TL 6mt with 160k+ on the odometer. It has been daily driven year round since it was born, and lived in PA for the majortiy of it's life. Rarely gets cleaned, never gets put in a garage, and is bone stock. While it is rusted, it is still easy to work on, and nothing is actually deteriorated to the point it is falling apart. It is holding up much better than other cars that we have owned that were subject to the same treatment. Also, there is no body rust on either of these cars, except for on a few paint chips on the hood of the 05.

This next round of pictures is my 07 6mt TL-S with 42K on the odometer. This is the second winter it has seen, and has been garage kept for the majority of its life. It is dirty as hell in these pics since it hasn't had the salt cleaned off for over a week

Last edited by SgtSir440; 12-19-2014 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (12-27-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Thx man, that's actually quite helpful. Given the life you've described that your folks car has had...that doesn't look all that bad.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Hi Silver, it looks like you tried sending me a PM but for some reason my account on this page only allows me one message in my inbox at a time. ...weird. Anyway. If you have something to get to me please feel free to hit me on whollyfit1@earthlink.net.

thx

derrick
Old 12-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Instructor

So regarding the Chicago rebuilt title:

Here's our exchange:

me "Interested in the TL, can you please explain the reason for the rebuilt title? thank you"

reply "We purchased it with a rebuilt title from a dealership. Although rebuilt titles have a bad rep- the damage is so minimal. I've attached a picture of the damage. The only thing replaced was the tail lights- the bumper is still the original stock one.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks, Elina."

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Instructor

I could see making this the one. We got any peeps in ATL??

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...stingId=0&mmt=[ACURA[TL[TL%257CType-S]][]]&listingId=389492727&Log=0
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Instructor

I'm not a complete internet noob....but I cannot figure out how to add attachments to posts on this forum! How do I attach a pic to this thread?
Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Instructor

JTS97Z28,

I'm getting a bit more engaged with the owner in Hanover Park and am not 100% convinced I should drop the car b/c of the rebuilt title. Possible to impose upon you to go give it a tire-kicking for me? If the car is legit I'll fly out & drive it back in a heartbeat. The owner sent me a pick of the damage done to it in a rear-ender & it doesn't really appear all that bad. I'm trying to post the pic but this forum is giving me FITS in terms of what I'm allowed to do - including telling me my pm box is full...even tho I have no messages.

Can you email and/or text/call? whollyfit1@earthlink.net or 719.237.0070. I know its a lot to ask of a complete stranger -- but believe me when I say I'm soon to be a TL owner and a brethren on the forum. I love the community already & will be an active poster and a brother for years to come.

thx

derrick
Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/member-...atl-ga-916465/
Old 12-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
JTS97Z28,

I'm getting a bit more engaged with the owner in Hanover Park and am not 100% convinced I should drop the car b/c of the rebuilt title. Possible to impose upon you to go give it a tire-kicking for me? If the car is legit I'll fly out & drive it back in a heartbeat. The owner sent me a pick of the damage done to it in a rear-ender & it doesn't really appear all that bad. I'm trying to post the pic but this forum is giving me FITS in terms of what I'm allowed to do - including telling me my pm box is full...even tho I have no messages.

Can you email and/or text/call? whollyfit1@earthlink.net or 719.237.0070. I know its a lot to ask of a complete stranger -- but believe me when I say I'm soon to be a TL owner and a brethren on the forum. I love the community already & will be an active poster and a brother for years to come.

thx

derrick
You paying cash or financing? Very few banks/credit unions will finance a salvage/rebuilt title, and they can be even more strict when it is an out of state vehicle.

I didn't check the link to see the asking price, but I'd expect a salvage title vehicle to be 30 - 40% less then FMV.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Derrick

I would definitely take your time and make sure you get the TL-S that you want. I just purchased an 07 TL-S in great condition with only 33K miles on it two weeks ago. So, they're still out there but as you said you just have to be patient and always looking.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I would definitely take your time and make sure you get the TL-S that you want. I just purchased an 07 TL-S in great condition with only 33K miles on it two weeks ago. So, they're still out there but as you said you just have to be patient and always looking.[/QUOTE] Patients is virtue...I found my 07 MRP/Taupe TL-S Two weeks ago after two months of reaserch/road testing and seeking.Though my car has 115k on it,believe it or not it was better mechanically and appearance wise than two TL-S WITH MUCH LOWER MILEAGE.So take your time and don't just jump on the first car unless its a deal you cannot pass up.

Last edited by 6MTSSR; 12-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...w-tl-s-923634/

This thread closed.