3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-031: DIY Accord foglight mod without removing A-Spec and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Well, yes, but on the other hand, he WAS nice enough to post his process and give guidance on how to do this and the Aspec lip is NOT removed. If you read the posts and check out the pics I highly doubt there would have been confusion on what was meant and how to get the grill out.

Last edited by rockstar143; 05-01-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Hey Sixsix...any chance of having you draw a rudimentary diagram for the accord swith wiring? I'm thinking if I want to use my stock fogs as DRL I may need to wire up my new fogs independently. Just need to figure out how!

Thanks in advance, if you're able to!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey Sixsix...any chance of having you draw a rudimentary diagram for the accord swith wiring? I'm thinking if I want to use my stock fogs as DRL I may need to wire up my new fogs independently. Just need to figure out how!

Thanks in advance, if you're able to!
my friend followed the diagram that came with the accord kit, but he did strip out the wires from the harness as we didnt need the full wire. i will check with him though if he can draw out how he had it setup, but basically its from fogs to battery protected by an in-line fuse, then from there to the gray relay (i dont remember which of the 4 poles he tapped and in what order) and into the cabin.the negative side was tapped to the same location as the factory ground for the battery.

i will try and take pics if i cant produce a rudimentary diagram. that could probably help
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
thats what i thought.....

this thread title is misleading then.
whats misleading? the title says without removing the A-spec and bumper. meaning that it is possible to install the fogs without taking everything apart.

my A-spec lip stayed on the car during the entire time. of course you will have to move it out of the way, but i showed that you dont need to totally remove it from the bumper.

sure you can probably hack the grille while it stayed in place, thus not having to remove the A-spec lip, but then that would look tacky, and you dont know if you might damage the lip. thats why almost all the installs dictate that you remove both the lip and the bumper to gain easy access. all this thread proves that there is an alternative to removing everything.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im going to finish mine tomorrow night, just not sure how im going to wire the harness yet. i want them independant. but i have the ebay fogs with the second wire harness listed here.

i cut holes(slits) in the side of the bumper compartment to accomadate the metal bracket on the fogs, so far so good but alot more cutting to do...

this is with bumper on. i will take pics tomorrow night. may take bumper off lol
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM

If I knew what I know now about the placement of the fogs...I'd probably be able to do it with the bumper off. Lol.

Sixsix...thank you! Much appreciated. I'll have to give the diagrams a once over to see if I can make heads or tales of it, but I would def love to see if you have something simple I can follow. I'm sure others would highly benefit from it too!

Take care brother,
Jeremy.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Drifting

Sixsix...thank you! Much appreciated. I'll have to give the diagrams a once over to see if I can make heads or tales of it, but I would def love to see if you have something simple I can follow. I'm sure others would highly benefit from it too!

Take care brother,
Jeremy.

he is out of town, so i decided to take pics of how the wires are at least laid out behind the bumper. here are the pics:

this is the shot looking at the passenger side. remember i told you we stripped the accord wiring and only used the power wires and the wire loom? (and threw out the rest) this is how its laid out behind the bumper. the loom protects the wire from chaffing as well as from the elements. i couldnt get a shot of its end (which is at the passenger side fog)

Name:  IMG_2039.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  56.9 KB

this one is what it looks like zip tied to the metal bar/damper immediately behind the front bumper. two zip ties hold it in place:

Name:  IMG_2040.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  63.7 KB

this one shows where the wires from the driver side fog join together with the passenger side one. note that the passenger side wire is a bit turned to fit the space (hence the two arrows). its just that much longer. they join to the lead wire going to the relay. we covered it with a felt-type 3M wire cover to protect it from the elements. this wire then leads up to the relay:

Name:  IMG_2042.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  47.9 KB

this is the relay. all the wires are shielded by the tape:

Name:  IMG_2033.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  40.2 KB

here is a close up of the negative wire coming from the relay (iirc). it is bolted to the same ground as the factory battery ground:

Name:  IMG_2036.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  32.6 KB

this is what they all look like disassembled. note i added more labels identifying the wires coming from the fogs, the power wire going to the fuse & relay, and the negative (ground) wire:

Name:  explode.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  77.1 KB

hope this helps
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Dude...you are the man! You gave me exactly what I needed to get this done!

Only one more question...the accord switch...inside the car...has the wire coming from the relay connected and what else? there are 5 wires...I would imagine there's one that's from the relay, and then a ground under the driver's leg and then one of the wires must be signal from the parking lights and then something to light up the switch...that's all I'd be missing. Again...thank you sooo much!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Dude...you are the man! You gave me exactly what I needed to get this done!

Only one more question...the accord switch...inside the car...has the wire coming from the relay connected and what else? there are 5 wires...I would imagine there's one that's from the relay, and then a ground under the driver's leg and then one of the wires must be signal from the parking lights and then something to light up the switch...that's all I'd be missing. Again...thank you sooo much!
yes, you are correct. one wire is the lead coming from the relay that was poked through the rubber seal on the firewall (that's what we used the metal coat hanger for - like a syringe to poke through the rubber gasket). another is to power the bulb on the switch that comes on during the parking lights, and one is the ground. i dont recall us using the other two. i believe the indicator is powered by the lead coming from the relay, while the other power wire has to be tapped to an existing power source that comes on when the parklights are on.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
yes, you are correct. one wire is the lead coming from the relay that was poked through the rubber seal on the firewall (that's what we used the metal coat hanger for - like a syringe to poke through the rubber gasket). another is to power the bulb on the switch that comes on during the parking lights, and one is the ground. i dont recall us using the other two. i believe the indicator is powered by the lead coming from the relay, while the other power wire has to be tapped to an existing power source that comes on when the parklights are on.
Dude, I really have to thank you and Gerzand for all the help you've given me. I just have one snag now.

Here are some weird things...
When I pop the gray relay onto the brown plug...the lights come on PERIOD. With that said, I assumed that everything is grounded properly (I opted to ground without cutting up the loom, down near the radiator...I've confirmed that this actually did ground both sockets).
I ran the 12V with a 20 amp inline fuse (using 25 now, blew the stock one with my stupidass nokya 80 watt bulbs...don't worry, dropped back to stock for now until I can afford HID's) to the battery to the blue (w/red stripe) relay wire.
I ran the green wire into the cabin to the green wire on the switch.
I grounded the switch by the drivers knee
I got parking light signal from wire in top left cluster of wires under dash. Confirmed that it was hot w/parking lights.

Ended up having to wire that wire AND The green wire coming from the relay to the green wire on the switch to get the switch to light up and fogs to come one.

Problem now...fogs come on with parking lights no matter what. Switch is not serving a purpose. Was I supposed to use the gray relay for something? On the switch, am I supposed to connect the blue wire to anything?

Since the lights come one, and I hear the relay react w/the parking lights, I'm assuming that ground, and all wiring TO the switch is correct. Is this a good assumption? If so...problem is AT THE SWITCH. I have leftover...a blue wire, a red wire, and a red w/black stripe wire. I have read the accord wiring diagram but can't make heads or tales of how to make the switch work as the cutoff to the relay! I'm sure I'm missing something simple but the idea of relays is new to me.

Last edited by rockstar143; 05-03-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its wierd i tried to tap into my "small light" fuse in my car and my fogs were always on! lol im going to run the switch. another thing is i have the 2nd harness posted here with the brown plug, but both those wires were red and yellow to, so i just acted as if they were blue and green, wired it to my low beam fuse and they work great. but i really wish i had a switch!!!!

Name:  IMG_0011.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  65.9 KB
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Hmmm...still don't get what I'm not understanding about switch wiring!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Drifting

rockstar -

now that i think about it, the reason your fogs come on with your parks is because you wired the switch to get power from the parklights.

if you could, try this - disconnect the power that lights up the switch, but leave its connection to the relay. the indicator (green light on top of the switch) should come on when you press the switch when the parklights are on, but the light on the switch (that illuminates the fog icon) should be off. let me know and if it happens like that, you may just need to tap a different source to power the light for the switch.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks again! Weird thing is...the wire that lights up the switch is actually the tap to the parking light. I'm ok with the fogs coming on with the fogs, but I want to be able to turn on and off W/the switch and right now the switch isn't doing anything!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
NPB TL FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy shit oem fogs are pretty cool
Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 PM

aren't they?!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Just installed mine!! thanks for posting this.. It helped guide me to get me started! Also, thanks to rockstar143 for helping me with some questions I had via PM!

More pics in my sig! On page 2 of my build up thread I included a little DIY..

Hey rockstar143, I will be in Miami this Friday if you can meet up! I would like to take a look at your wiring. I just spliced mine into the original fog light harness.. I am interested in wiring mine up like how you said you want yours to be. Just got lazy after my 10 hour install!!! lol
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Dude...you took the torch and ran with it...GREAT JOB! Very clean.

Don't know if you checked your other thread but unfortunately (or fortunately since i wanna go) I'll be in WPB at the NIN concert on Friday! If I figure this whole relay thing out...I'll let you know how to do it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Ok...update! Don't know if this made a difference...but I ended up T-Tapping into the two black wires at the relay (from the fogs in the wire loom) and grounding them to the battery ground. This was in addition to the ground wire I grounded near the hood latch. I then connected AT THE SWITCH green wire from relay to green wire on switch (thru firewall)/black to ground (there's a bolt right there near the parking lights tap that'll ground the switch)/and t-tapped wire to your parking lights to the BLUE wire on the switch. Red and Red w/black stripe don't connect to anything.

Not sure if the grounding made it work or what cause I was trying all the combinations of wires last night, to no avail!

Works now...bumper fogs come on w/parking lights...switch lights up with parking lights and can be turned on and off with the switch.

I used the BLACK relay from the accord fog light kit.

THANKS TO GERZAND AND SIXSIXFOUR! You guys rock! Between the 3 of us and the other couple of threads on this mod...this will easily become a no brainer for people that are afraid to do it blindly.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Great work rockstar143!! did you use the original harness that came with the ebay fog? or did you just use your own wiring?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Thanks! I used the wiring that came with my OEM Accord fog harness. I picked up a set at handaaccessories.com
Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Thanks! I used the wiring that came with my OEM Accord fog harness. I picked up a set at handaaccessories.com
Whoa...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accext03.html

Is that the real deal OEM kit on sale for $168?? Like the switch, lights, and everything? If so I'm buying right now, lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Race Director

Sorry for double post too...

I always thought I saw that we need 04-05 4 door Accord fogs.... However, the handa site lists 2 different 4 door kits, 03-04 and 05.

Which is the proper one?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM

I bought the 03 and 04 - 4 door kit. AND YES...$177 shipped. That's what I picked up!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Race Director

I bought the 03 and 04 - 4 door kit. AND YES...$177 shipped. That's what I picked up!
Well alright then, guess I'll do the same, lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Ok...update! Don't know if this made a difference...but I ended up T-Tapping into the two black wires at the relay (from the fogs in the wire loom) and grounding them to the battery ground. This was in addition to the ground wire I grounded near the hood latch. I then connected AT THE SWITCH green wire from relay to green wire on switch (thru firewall)/black to ground (there's a bolt right there near the parking lights tap that'll ground the switch)/and t-tapped wire to your parking lights to the BLUE wire on the switch. Red and Red w/black stripe don't connect to anything.

Not sure if the grounding made it work or what cause I was trying all the combinations of wires last night, to no avail!

Works now...bumper fogs come on w/parking lights...switch lights up with parking lights and can be turned on and off with the switch.

I used the BLACK relay from the accord fog light kit.

THANKS TO GERZAND AND SIXSIXFOUR! You guys rock! Between the 3 of us and the other couple of threads on this mod...this will easily become a no brainer for people that are afraid to do it blindly.

Im glad it worked out for you. I didnt have the courage to take my dash apart last night (my friend helped me during the install on mine) by myself. and when i traced the wires from the relay, they were all wrapped and covered tight. i was going to wait for him to come back from his trip and maybe query him, but if yours works, then thats great.

i will still check with my friend when he comes back and report here.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks man...yeah, I didn't want you to go on more of a mission. Just thought I'd rethink it with an extra ground last night and a clearer head, since I wasn't frustrated. Touched the blue wire and VOILA...it came on with the switch! I guess that's why it bypasses the other relay. I wondered wether or not the extra grounding did anything...I guess I could disconnect it to see if it mattered or not.

Anyway...if you pull the left part of the lower console out and then toward you, you can access the back of your plug, takes 2 seconds if you wanted to double check your own wiring!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Thanks man...yeah, I didn't want you to go on more of a mission. Just thought I'd rethink it with an extra ground last night and a clearer head, since I wasn't frustrated. Touched the blue wire and VOILA...it came on with the switch! I guess that's why it bypasses the other relay. I wondered wether or not the extra grounding did anything...I guess I could disconnect it to see if it mattered or not.

Anyway...if you pull the left part of the lower console out and then toward you, you can access the back of your plug, takes 2 seconds if you wanted to double check your own wiring!
Thanks bro! Well Im glad it now works for you. Hopefully this helps other guys with their installs in the future
Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Dude...considering you didn't do the work yourself...and weren't 100% sure...your willingness to look it up/take pics/post pics and attempt to answer the questions was really amazing. Def. much appreciated!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Dude...considering you didn't do the work yourself...and weren't 100% sure...your willingness to look it up/take pics/post pics and attempt to answer the questions was really amazing. Def. much appreciated!

LOL thanks! one of the reasons it took me -this- long to do this mod was that I couldnt find anyone to take point for me and do the modifications (i was too scared to attempt something like this myself. swapping lights to LEDs all over is one thing, this is beyond my skillset). but when my friend confirmed it was something he can do, i just went for it and bought the fogs when it was available. all i did throughout the install was worry, wipe the excess crap from cutting the inside of the bumper, worry, check fitment, worry, help align and test, worry, take pics, worry, etc (you get the idea)

its probably why i didnt get to take pics or provide more details on the wiring. i was a nervous wreck as my friend worked on the car. maybe one of these days if i figure it out with my friend's help, i can put together a wiring diagram.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Hmmm...well yes...i was worried too...but at least I could only get pissed at myself! I wonder if that's worse.

I could probably make a wiring diagram but it would only apply to the way I ran things. I wonder if it'll apply to how someone else would wire it. I guess I'll wait for the questions to come.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, a couple of questions
1. deciding between the Ebay fogs or the one from handa-accesories. Does it have a big difference? Aside from the nicer switch and stuff.

2. just got the AEM v2 from excelerate, can I still do this mod flush to the bumper or would it be sticking out. I am thinking of customizing a "vent/funnel/tube" for the CAI from the left side (facing the car) of the driver side fog light.

Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Well, I believe I've seen people with a cold air intake w/ the fog mod. I had a V2 for my rsx and it's short ram, no? Shouldn't be an issue. Just do your fogs first before routing anything although there is a LOT of room behind the bumper.

If there is a big difference between the ebay fogs or not, I really couldn't tell you. I opted for the Honda one because I didn't want to put a cheap ebay kit on my TL. I like the OEM switch and I think there are some issues with a Plastic lense on the ebay one. Don't quote me on that though. In hindsight, I'm not sure that after cutting and pushing into the bumper and seeing it from a distance (not up at 2 feet from the lense like during install, where you can see ALL imperfections)...there may not be a noteable quality reason to go with the more expensive one.

It's up to you!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Also, sixsix...and anyone else that's tackled this and gone the HID route...

quick question...do your HID bulbs have the coating on the tip? I hear it creates crazy glare if you don't get the tips dipped. Why I'm mainly wondering is cause I'm heavily considering the DDM Tuning Raptor kit...35watts (supposedly good for fogs since they burn cooler) and only 40 bucks!

Please let me know...

1. does your bulb have a glare coating on the tip?
2. did you used 35 or 55 watts on the fog bulb?
3. what kelvin temp did any of you with stock D2S HID's go with to match up? ddm 5000k?/4500/6000?

and while I'm at it...

How does everyone feel about DDM tuning/Raptor vs. theirs?

Thank you!

Rockstar
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Also, sixsix...and anyone else that's tackled this and gone the HID route...

quick question...do your HID bulbs have the coating on the tip? I hear it creates crazy glare if you don't get the tips dipped. Why I'm mainly wondering is cause I'm heavily considering the DDM Tuning Raptor kit...35watts (supposedly good for fogs since they burn cooler) and only 40 bucks!

Please let me know...

1. does your bulb have a glare coating on the tip?
2. did you used 35 or 55 watts on the fog bulb?
3. what kelvin temp did any of you with stock D2S HID's go with to match up? ddm 5000k?/4500/6000?

and while I'm at it...

How does everyone feel about DDM tuning/Raptor vs. theirs?

Thank you!

Rockstar

I have a 4500K Raptor kit as a backup for my OEM fogs (those in-line with the lows). tested them and they were ok. didnt notice a tint on them, and yes, got them locally for $40 bucks a while back (a friend drove down to San Diego to pick up a few sets). I only got a 35W, no need for a 55W as 35W HID would be plenty of light on a non-HID housing.

personally, i would have liked to stay with a 4500K setup, but my OEM fogs have 6000K that look blue. so i bought a spare Raptor kit with a 4500K that actually matches the generic 6000K I have in my accord fogs.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
I have a 4500K Raptor kit as a backup for my OEM fogs (those in-line with the lows). tested them and they were ok. didnt notice a tint on them, and yes, got them locally for $40 bucks a while back (a friend drove down to San Diego to pick up a few sets). I only got a 35W, no need for a 55W as 35W HID would be plenty of light on a non-HID housing.

personally, i would have liked to stay with a 4500K setup, but my OEM fogs have 6000K that look blue. so i bought a spare Raptor kit with a 4500K that actually matches the generic 6000K I have in my accord fogs.
Hmmm...so if I read this correctly, the raptor kit, at 4500K is blue enough to match the 6KK accord fog hids? If that's the case, I wonder what K I would need to match my factory HID Lows!? What do you think? Are your lows stock bulbs?

Do your HID fogs have a coating on the tip, or is this a non issue or something being sold as an issue to make you buy a retrosolutions kit?!? Really would like to find out!

Thanks again sixsix.

-Jeremy.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Hmmm...so if I read this correctly, the raptor kit, at 4500K is blue enough to match the 6KK accord fog hids? If that's the case, I wonder what K I would need to match my factory HID Lows!? What do you think? Are your lows stock bulbs?

Do your HID fogs have a coating on the tip, or is this a non issue or something being sold as an issue to make you buy a retrosolutions kit?!? Really would like to find out!

Thanks again sixsix.

-Jeremy.

Well, its both yes and no. different aftermarket manufacturers color their kits differently.

right now, I have the OEM bulbs on the OEM HID headlights. then I have 6000K HIDs on the factory fogs and 6000K HIDs on the Accord fogs. the factory fogs look bluer than the rather crisp white of the Accord fogs despite being both "6000K". when i tested the Raptor backup I had, it was a 4500K kit and it was closer to the 6000K installed in my Accord fogs.

weird eh?

to the best of my knowledge (and as far as i can remember), none of my HID kits have any sort of coating. i remember inspecting them before installing and none had a coating on the bulb. maybe it there was a clear coat of some sort, but I couldnt tell. definitely not tinted - the color comes from the salts and halide mix within the bulb chamber.

ill take a pic of my backup Raptor kit when I get home tonight
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks bro...

well...I have to figure out your accord hid's then...cause those are the ones that look close to the factory HID to me...at least in pics. Raptor will be too blue if that's the case.

The coating is obvious..and visble through the little hole in the metal part in the reflector. It would be a coating that doesn't let light exit the top of the bulb!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ replacing Fog Lights

I have an 04 TL, I did a front end conversion...changed bumper to 07 style. Now I need to install fog lights and came across these on ebay, can any1 comment on these: "ACURA TL HELLA FOG LIGHTS driving lamps type-s 07" link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported

seller told me to indicate exact dimensions to make sure they fit, problem is I don't know what measurements are of the factory Acura TL Fogs, does any1 know the answer to this question (dimensions of Length & width in inches)

thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM

That sir is a BIG negative ghostwriter IMO....
You spent all that loot for a front end conversion then you want to save a couple of pennies and put in generic fog lights that aren't meant for the car.

Get the OEM ones or keep the car without fog lights. I strongly advise that.

Quick Reply: G-031: DIY Accord foglight mod without removing A-Spec and bumper