3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally a solution to fix those ripped LCA bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for breaking format. I just joined and this is the Most relevant thread I could Find regarding my issue. I've just installed new ball joints from Acura, in my 04 tl (at). After having them pressed in, I noticed they sit loose in the front lower control arm. I tighten the castle nut to the end of the threads, and it doesn't even touch the control arm. I thought the press shop might have kept the sleeves, but Acura assured me that none are required, and the joints go straight into the arm. This is the last chore after replacing Most of the front suspension. I'm at my end. Please help.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
How can that even work without the sleeves? How do you press a ball joint into an LCA without the sleeves in place? I'm not seeing how that can even be done...

When the ball joints are pressed out, the sleeves shouldn't press out, just the ball joint. However, sometimes the sleeves do come out. If they come out, Acura says to replace the whole control arm.

There are a few forum members who have popped the sleeves unintentionally and just pressed them back in with no ill effects. YMMV, but I haven't heard any issues with re-using a popped sleeve.

I can't imagine who at Acura would even tell you that the sleeves didn't need to be replaced or the whole control arm replaced...
Old 10-20-2014, 01:31 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for responding. I took the ball joints I bought from an Acura dealer to a local shop to get pressed out and in of the hubs. They gave me more trouble removing than I expected. I was confident about getting them back into the control arms, since they gave me little trouble to pop out. When I tried to install them, I realized the sleeves were missing. The shop said they discarded them, and are long gone. What's done is done. I called Acura, they said the arms have no sleeves... I recently called Acura express parts, who confirmed they do have sleeves, that are not sold separately. I just Really don't want to have to buy new front lower control arms, since I just replaced all 6 Acura bushings myself. I'm Praying someone can provide an equivalent part #, or any effective ultimatum, so I can search for compatibles. I greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

I found a few sites online that sell control arm / ball joint sleeves, but I'm not sure if it would be as easy as taking measurements, because of the tapered hole.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Sold my TL several months ago (with regret, needed a truck), but after two winters and quite a few miles they still functioned and looked as new when I sold it.
The following users liked this post:
MrHeeltoe (12-03-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MacKenzie001
Sold my TL several months ago (with regret, needed a truck), but after two winters and quite a few miles they still functioned and looked as new when I sold it.
Did the new owner join Azine?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by PopDogs
Thanks for responding. I took the ball joints I bought from an Acura dealer to a local shop to get pressed out and in of the hubs. They gave me more trouble removing than I expected. I was confident about getting them back into the control arms, since they gave me little trouble to pop out. When I tried to install them, I realized the sleeves were missing. The shop said they discarded them, and are long gone. What's done is done. I called Acura, they said the arms have no sleeves... I recently called Acura express parts, who confirmed they do have sleeves, that are not sold separately. I just Really don't want to have to buy new front lower control arms, since I just replaced all 6 Acura bushings myself. I'm Praying someone can provide an equivalent part #, or any effective ultimatum, so I can search for compatibles. I greatly appreciate any help I can get.
I don't see how the ball joint is staying in the LCA with the sleeves missing. I haven't really paid that much attention, but I would think the hole in the LCA with the sleeve missing is wider than the castle nut...

You very likely have a serious safety issue. I would not drive that car one inch in that condition.

Were the sleeves in the control arms when you took them to the shop? If so, you might have a case against the shop, dunno.

And whoever you called at Acura was clueless. They certainly didn't do you any favors.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by beastUA6
Found it...https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post14085320

#35....straight from mr.heeltoe himself, and he got that info straight from PCI.

Not too sure if I'd want to put something on my car that's gonna cause so much vibration that "it would not be a bad idea to put some mild loctite on some of the other suspension and subframe bolts, or to at least adjust the torque on the fasteners to compensate for the additional vibration."

Doesn't even sound safe no matter how u read it. If I have to over torque bolts or add Loctite as a "precautionary measure" then how worth it are these really?
I've been using them in my car for a long time with no loctite or anything and have had nary a complaint.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
This more sounds like a vendor protecting himself from a potential lawsuit. There are people who put over 10k miles on these without issue. Technically coilovers stiffen up the suspension too. How many suspensions have you seen fall apart because of those?
Nothing makes anything iron clad...but you'll also hear me tell people they should install hood pins when putting on composite hoods. They definitely can separate and fly up.

But I don't install on my car.

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
I honestly dont think the added vibrations will cause any bolts to come loose.

what about people who track cars with the stock bushing? Im sure those cars are more prone to forces even with the stock bushing. I dont hear of any bolts coming loose.

Its a rumor and marcus said it to protect himself. that is standard shop procedure, doesnt actually mean anything.

Folks online can imagine more things than will ever actually happen, I have found. Face is, regardless if I said this or not, if someone has a problem from using the part I can't necessarily escape that with a little forum disclaimer. We have a responsibility to support people in their purchases and protect them as consumers, and to provide them with honest advice. People have a responsibility to install parts they buy from us properly, without specific instruction.

Such as, me saying anything I never said like "I just said so to protect myself." Nobody has ever asked me about this that I can recall...whether or not they really NEED to install loctite. Personally I don't think it is necessary. But if someone has trouble tightening bolts it is definitely a good idea. Same thing with the Skunk2 upper arm ball joints...they are not problem-prone but people have problems with them for sure.

I guess it is a grey area. But at the end of the day, this is such a non-concern/non-issue/non-factor if someone is looking for the benefits of this part. I've found no drawback to these parts worth really griping about, and even if loctite was needed it would not be one either. What we have here is forum discussion taking its own course.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Disclaimers are also there to protect the seller because if the seller isn't installing them, it can be installed wrong which then now the seller is responsible because they didn't have a disclaimer even though they weren't the ones who installed the item incorrectly.

if you look around every website, whether its on a certain item, they're website says install as own risk, or seller is only responsible for sale of item, etc..

When it comes down to trouble, everyone gets blamed..

As per vibrations, I'm sure its not enough to loosen bolts, esp when suspension parts have or should have pins holding the bolts, even engine mounts add vibrations etc no issues..

So for instance, we sell these and the buyer has a shop install them. naturally they have to remove the lower ball joint, what if they didn't put that pin back in when reinstalling and the bolt comes loose and suspension drops…whose to blame in a lawsuit or issue? I, marcus, xlr8 and rv-6 have been on this forum for almost or over a decade no real issues and we strive to help the community. In no way would we sell junk or something that could cause harm to someone or their vehicle..
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (12-04-2014)