3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-073: DIY Custom grill mod cutting the "A" and adding the Grill Mesh LOTS OF PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dommafia
same way I feel man... but damn if it dont look sexy as hell!

I wish I had those sets of balls man
iF YOU do it, i'll end up doing it too lol
Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Phmbm12

oh n tell me how much it is to get the roof done =)
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hey that looks really cool!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dam Jon!! I really can't wait to see this badass grill in person, you have outdone your self once again. I remember talking to you on the phone when you were elbow deep in cutting the grill and saying this is "ALOT of work". Well after seeing the pics and the DIY instructions you weren't kidding. The grill looks clean and perfect, just like every mod that you do and complete. Great Job!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
That looks great. I am considering doing this b/c I had the front pieces painted and they are peeling/chipping and it is a pain in the ass to touch them up. This seems like it involves less maintenance and looks a ton better
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
looks great bro. tried hitting them bubbles with a heatgun? and for big bubbles just let the air out with a needle ( make a pin size hole) then hit it up some more with heat? my .02.
Wifes hair dryer was used in the doing of the mod but I still F*cked it up!! I will leave it to the pro's after the vinyl passes my highway test. 800 miles on the car since yesterday and all is cool so far. BTW...Atlanta traffic sucks!!!

Originally Posted by tehloxely
Wow! That does change the entire look of the car. I love it.
My thoughts exactly. I love it and a few cars that passed me today had passengers with rubber necks. They are loving the grill!

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Well done! Has an OEM stealth look....and good call on removing the VTech badge.

When did you get Aspecs? I thought you had a set of Inspyres? Looks better with the ASpecs, IMO.
Vtec never made it out the the public as I took the badge off before the car left the garage. Here is my link on the story of my old rims to new rims. I love the Aspecs too and they are in mint shape!

Here is the link....https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/swapped-ronjons-specs-gunmetal-735266/

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Looks good...I was going to suggest removing the vtec thing...but looks like you already did!

I like the aspecs on your car better than the ronjons too btw. Great job!
Thanks! A few pics of it here..https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735266

Originally Posted by tweeder82o
we have the same birthday
Another Memorial Day baby? Nice! Have one for me on your next birthday and I will make sure to have six for you
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Jon, if your car gets an hotter, you'll have to wear Nomex.
Steven, still waiting for you to do a road trip to NC and join the crew here on one of our meets. You have made friends all over the USA on this site.. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Phambam12
oh n tell me how much it is to get the roof done =)
I called Speed Styles and they said they could wrap it with no warranty because of faiding for over 200 or do a 3mm clear bra over it and give it a 1 year for 350. I passed and said, for that price, I will get it painted.

Originally Posted by golfjwr
Dam Jon!! I really can't wait to see this badass grill in person, you have outdone your self once again. I remember talking to you on the phone when you were elbow deep in cutting the grill and saying this is "ALOT of work". Well after seeing the pics and the DIY instructions you weren't kidding. The grill looks clean and perfect, just like every mod that you do and complete. Great Job!!!

It's a great mod....Clean and perfect???? No, but who's perfect? I will have it painted come summer and have the body shop fill in the edges and make everything smooth and clean. I can't wait to see your new wheels tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone else for the nice comments. Glad I could help out.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you sand down the bondo?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jon, I just MapQuested Kansas City to Charlotte....16 hours. When is the next meet?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Subscribing. Looks great
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice mod. Great work. Looks good!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
WOW MAN!! GREAT DIY WRITEUP!!!

I am totally impressed. Do you know I did almost everything exactly as you did. I have spent years writing to others how to do this. Do you know how hard it is to explain this entire process?....typing, typing, typing........A picture is worth a 1000 words and now finally everyone can see with these awesome pictures how it is done. Everyone will be directed here.....3GTL Garage it damnit! I concur, balls are needed. I always say the same. It is the #1 reason you don't see many people even try the mod. As your car gets older and if you don't owe money on it/or if it is not leased it feels good. Feels a lil more natural to start doing surgery on it. I have hacked my rear bumper, my headrests, my center console, side sills, etc. etc. hahaha people think I am crazy.

The only differences I did with my install is I used Bondo's bumper repair. I was going to do fiberglass but I have no experience with that. My concern was flexibility and durability so I didn't touch the Bondo bodyfiller stuff of course; that stuff will crack. My bumper has been holding up well for 2 years now. I had the intention of using real carbon fiber sheets like PPLAPW and not vinyl. It is VERY hard to get cuts right. You used that white plastic to back the hole up. That is a good idea. I used a piece of real carbon fiber and used the bondo bumper filler to fill and bond the area. I overlayed this with cut carbon fiber. As well as I cut it, it was nearly impossible to get perfectly by hand. It had to be cut into 4 pieces. I ended up with 3 joints and didn't like the look. I overlayed it with the carbon fiber vinyl and thats what finished it off. This explains why my grill has a more broad and flatter look to it than most of the other meshed grilles out there.

It looked really good for awhile but the vinyl started to fade from UV. I just redid it a couple weeks back. The CF is more grey this time and matches the car really well. Looks great but this time I got bubbles etc. under it. Surface prep is key. You can't have any dust, residue etc. underneath. Be careful not to lay out the vinyl too long (dust will collect on the sticky side) or let it touch anything. That's what I did wrong. The first time around the vinyl looked perfect but this time I also have bubbles like you. You don't see them unless you close so it doesn't bother me. The mistake I did was remove the old layer of vinyl. It was VERY hard to remove. It wouldn't come off in one piece and had to peeled off in little slivers. Then I had to get the residue of the old glue off. I should have just left it and vinyled over the first layer, it would have been fine. When I redo do it, I am going to do it the wet method, similar to applying tint. I hope the vinyl doesn't fade easily again.

Definitely glad I did this mod. It is a rare and original looking mod that really injects some testosterone into the look of the car.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 10-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by TL1999
did you sand down the bondo?
Of course I did, just not as good as I could have.....Use the bondo bumper fill like rockyfeller used if you are worried. I will do a better job when I get the bumper painted.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Jon, I just MapQuested Kansas City to Charlotte....16 hours. When is the next meet?
Check the meet section....You would be crazy to drive that distance but it would be great to meet you in person. December 5th is Cars and coffee in Charlotte. A lot of fun and a great chance to see the best cars Charlotte has to offer.

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
WOW MAN!! GREAT DIY WRITEUP!!!

I am totally impressed. Do you know I did almost everything exactly as you did. I have spent years writing to others how to do this. Do you know how hard it is to explain this entire process?....typing, typing, typing........A picture is worth a 1000 words and now finally everyone can see with these awesome pictures how it is done. Everyone will be directed here.....3GTL Garage it damnit! I concur, balls are needed. I always say the same. It is the #1 reason you don't see many people even try the mod. As your car gets older and if you don't owe money on it/or if it is not leased it feels good. Feels a lil more natural to start doing surgery on it. I have hacked my rear bumper, my headrests, my center console, side sills, etc. etc. hahaha people think I am crazy.

The only differences I did with my install is I used Bondo's bumper repair. I was going to do fiberglass but I have no experience with that. My concern was flexibility and durability so I didn't touch the Bondo bodyfiller stuff of course; that stuff will crack. My bumper has been holding up well for 2 years now. I had the intention of using real carbon fiber sheets like PPLAPW and not vinyl. It is VERY hard to get cuts right. You used that white plastic to back the hole up. That is a good idea. I used a piece of real carbon fiber and used the bondo bumper filler to fill and bond the area. I overlayed this with cut carbon fiber. As well as I cut it, it was nearly impossible to get perfectly by hand. It had to be cut into 4 pieces. I ended up with 3 joints and didn't like the look. I overlayed it with the carbon fiber vinyl and thats what finished it off. This explains why my grill has a more broad and flatter look to it than most of the other meshed grilles out there.

It looked really good for awhile but the vinyl started to fade from UV. I just redid it a couple weeks back. The CF is more grey this time and matches the car really well. Looks great but this time I got bubbles etc. under it. Surface prep is key. You can't have any dust, residue etc. underneath. Be careful not to lay out the vinyl too long (dust will collect on the sticky side) or let it touch anything. That's what I did wrong. The first time around the vinyl looked perfect but this time I also have bubbles like you. You don't see them unless you close so it doesn't bother me. The mistake I did was remove the old layer of vinyl. It was VERY hard to remove. It wouldn't come off in one piece and had to peeled off in little slivers. Then I had to get the residue of the old glue off. I should have just left it and vinyled over the first layer, it would have been fine. When I redo do it, I am going to do it the wet method, similar to applying tint. I hope the vinyl doesn't fade easily again.

Definitely glad I did this mod. It is a rare and original looking mod that really injects some testosterone into the look of the car.
Rockyfeller, well put brother. A mad amount of respect goes out to you man and I am glad you are on here doing great things for this site. Keep it up and I am glad this thread can help out all the guys who have questions about this mod!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
FRESH, looks so good with the "A" symbol and seat in there.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
200,000 mile club

^^ Thanks Ron! Coming from you, that means a lot. Had you made a new grill for this generation, you would have cashed in but I understand why you backed off. I am just so glad you have made a new grill for the fourth generation as that car needs it.

Now that I have seen your grill for the new TL, I now am considering that car when it comes time to retire my current one. I have a couple of years but it's good to know you stepped up and helped Acura out!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY is tight... job is tight... ride is tight. cleeeeeean, man... really.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I was to buy this grill would it save me from having to do all that cutting and using bondo? doesnt look as shiny as yours but i guess I could just wrap it with that black foil

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by sebas809
if I was to buy this grill would it save me from having to do all that cutting and using bondo? doesnt look as shiny as yours but i guess I could just wrap it with that black foil

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories
Apparently, cutting is still required. From the website:

"To install this grille,
it is required to remove the horizontal bar
behind the Acura emblem in the middle.
The molding must be cut out from the front bumper.
It is optional to replace the stock chrome hood trim
with this hood trim and have it painted
to match the body color."
Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

this is probably the best mods I seen on a white TL so far...great job!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
GEN
7th Gear

I love IT!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
200,000 mile club

^^^ First post Gen? Nice!

Thanks everyone!

So is this thread going to be put in the DIY section?

Bearcat? Mods?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
It's been a while... I'm surprised it's not in the garage yet!
I've noticed some other threads get garaged rather quickly too.... I guess the mods are busy.

Totally agree with Rocky. Not a lot of people are willing to attempt this mod. A lot of people are scared to hack up their front bumper. I suppose the fear of messing up and having it come out poor gets to them... aside from the fact that you can't quite go back. And it totally does get a bit tough to explain with only text when people ask!

I've at first used bondo body filler... That lasted me half a year until it cracked after bringing it to the dealership. I then took out all the bondo that I could and drove around with the two 'holes' in my grille for a few months.
I then attempted to make a mold out of fiber glass [my first time using it too] of the grille and fabricate it out of that. However, that went terribly wrong...
After getting used to fiber glass, I attempted to make a one-piece complicated mold... It turned out relatively good... Unfortunately it was thrown out [along with my failed attempts] by my cousin who was cleaning out the garage.
I was very close to making this grille for AZiners... as a second alternative to the eBay one [the eBay one looks chunky due to the "V-insert-mabob"].

I eventually gave up and filled the holes using fiberglass. It's strong and durable.
The first time I secured the mesh into the bumper just like you did... but also metal-zip-tied it to the first layer of bondo [which was then covered up with the other layers of bondo].
Now I have L brackets fabricated to the bumper and the mesh is attached to the brackets.

I'm thinking of doing a Type-S front bumper swap in the near future and making a CF grille. It'll be my first time working with CF if I do. The ideas and what not are already in my head. =]
Hopefully it will come out fine when the time comes for me to attempt this.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 10-27-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Amazing!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:34 PM
9th Gear

That is awesome!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Very nice job! Car is so fresh! I'm gonna print this & have my cousin who owns a custom body shop do it...I would F something up really bad. Nice DIY & pics!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
10th Gear

nice
Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Very nice work.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 PM
My TL loves summer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice mod and great write up!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks sweet \. I am jelous.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharonocon
Looks sweet \. I am jelous.
+1

i would pay him to do this if i lived any closer, Im a DIY guy but do not have guts to cut my car
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
WiCk3D >TL TyPe-S< iN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
think i might do this my slef....soon or later...would love to see how the mess look on a 08 TL type-S
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

where did u get the acura in black thing on your bumper ?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
duuuuuude beautiful mod....very well done !!!!

black-out ur headlights and it will look BAD-ASS !!!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Man, KICKASS write up. I'm definitely tackling this next week.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Phmbm12

Originally Posted by swoosh
duuuuuude beautiful mod....very well done !!!!

black-out ur headlights and it will look BAD-ASS !!!
im pretty sure his headlights have been blacked out for a while now
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
200,000 mile club

^^^ True, they are blacked out but he might have ment tint my headlights but that is just asking for trouble. Not to mention, I need all the light I can get on NC dark roads.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
guess am going blind early

man the ride looks SICK !!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Did this today. I need more practice with the vinyl. I had some errands that required that I rushed everything back together. I like how it looks though.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Phmbm12

Originally Posted by subinf
Did this today. I need more practice with the vinyl. I had some errands that required that I rushed everything back together. I like how it looks though.
whoo nice! post some pictures up plz

Quick Reply: E-073: DIY Custom grill mod cutting the "A" and adding the Grill Mesh LOTS OF PICS!