Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't skip the...engine filter day!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
Dump your vacuum cleaner bag on it. Just on the one side though alright!
Make sure it's on the right side lol.

Here's how bad I have it... I live in a dusty area plus I have a Golden Retriever that against my will is an indoor only dog so there's hair everywhere. The vacuum cleaner which I use every 2 days is a Dyson so it's got what amounts to two prefilters before the HEPA filter so I didn't modify that.

My home AC on the other hand.... I want better filtration than the green spun glass filters (the $2 for 3 filter variety) can filter. So I started using the best filter that Home Depot offered for a little over $20. The problem that occurred is that it would plug up to the point the AC was trying to eat it in under a month. I ended up using one of the cheap filters as a pre-filter. The difference was larger than I expected, I'm able to get a good 3 months out of the expensive filters now. I guess that's not too obsessive.

My cheap Chinese air compressor only came with a tiny paper filter. Better than foam I guess. This was the cheapest model that used a cast iron cylinder and real oil which I changed to Redline 5w30 lol. I spent $80 on a large filter/muffler for my $120 air compressor. Part of the reason was to muffle the induction noise but the other part is better filtration and better flow. With the size of the filter I should literally never have to change it. To make things worse, even though the filter should literally outlast myself, I added an oiled foam pre-filter. I don't know why.

If I were still putting nearly 30,000 miles a year on the TL I would already have made a foam prefilter to fit down in the box. It's not the money, I just can't help myself from screwing with stuff and improving what doesn't need improvement.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Did the color of the factory filters change or do they change over time? I'm pretty sure mine was green when I installed it so I'm assuming the color has changed. They looked identical side by side and the oil was still there so hopefully it's just dye and nothing else.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
I appreciate your input as always IHC. It's people like you that like to push boundaries, go against the grain, ask the questions people don't usually ask that spark and provoke thoughtful conversation.

I for one didn't see IHC's reply as an attack to OP. Sure, everyone can just follow Acura's intervals and change their filters. Whoop-dee-doo, but no one ever stops to ask, "wait.. is that really necessary?" Thanks Matt for doing so. It's nice to see the other perspective once in a while, it really is a breath of fresh air (with an older filter because it filters the air better )