Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Post DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures

After taking in a lot of information from many posts on lighting modification of the TL, I figured it was time to give back to the community a bit! The one thing I was unable to find that many people have seemed to have trouble with was the removal of the vanity light covers. I could have seriously used some pictures when I was removing mine, so I thought I'd create a thread with just that: a picture-based how-to for vanity light cover removal on the 3G TL!

First things first, what you need:

1: Flathead Screwdriver
2: Patience and a light touch

Onto the actual work! Get into the passenger side first and pull down the visor to reveal the vanity light:

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-ffmgn.jpg

Next, slide your screwdriver underneath the metal plate on the front-side closest to the center console.

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-8mhmc.jpg

Angle the screwdriver and push it further into the space above the light.

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-ipk98.jpg

Rotate the screwdriver handle towards the center console. You should feel a slight bit of resistance and see the light cover begin to move downwards as you depress the release tab (you can see this if you look closely in the picture below).

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-cz3zx.jpg

Then just pull the cover out! It might take a bit more force than you expect, but you wont break anything if you take it slow.

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-2duu9.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-hh69j.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-hmkxs.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-t2h7f.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-6ln1a.jpg

Given that people have also had trouble getting this bulb out, I'll tell you all a very easy way to remove it - take off that little plastic cover and use the screwdriver to push it out.

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-hadkq.jpg

Be gentle, it's a very easy piece to remove (and lose if you drop it).

Once you've unclipped one side, it's as simple as pulling it off.

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-yflg2.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-zb3k0.jpg

Now for the bulb - just slide you screwdriver gently behind it (it won't fit all the way, just the corner is fine to start) and carefully push outward - the bulb will slowly start to slide out and the screwdriver will eventually slide in behind it. At this point, you're essentially done!

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-fg6tv.jpg

DIY: Vanity Light Removal, with pictures-iruy6.jpg

Just throw in your smexy LEDs, pop the plastic cover back on, and slide the light cover back up into the metal housing.

I realize that the majority of you have probably already done this or given up, but I hope this is helpful to any 3G TL owners who are looking to do this still!
The following 8 users liked this post by Kaliper:
AndrewA (09-12-2012), BxTrini_TL (11-01-2013), DMZ (12-11-2012), MiaQbn23 (02-02-2013), pohljm (01-31-2013), rockstar143 (09-12-2012), rydoggg (06-23-2013), Undying Dreams (09-10-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I would actually recommend disconnecting the connector to the vanity light after you remove it.

If you just stick a screw driver in there to pop the bulb out while it's still connected, that will cause a short to ground and you'll most likely blow a fuse of some sort. Possibly something worse.

All in all, very good DIY. It's very nice of you to spend one of your first posts as a DIY to help others. New member and already lending a helping hand. Nice!
The following users liked this post:
Bearcat94 (09-12-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Great writeup! I tried a few years ago getting those lights out and gave up. I feel more empowered to make it happen now. The service manual was not helpful- the trick is the rotate-90 of the screwdriver and going under the metal plate.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Great DIY but I still think the man who designed these lights should be greatly harmed...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Great DIY but I still think the man who designed these lights should be greatly harmed...
agreed. this was probably the last interior light mod I did. it took me over two years to finally get one done since i got the car. it was a royal pain. i did pretty much what he did, but always stopped short when the thing started to bend.

funny thing is that the vanity light is the same as the trunk light, and i got that replaced in a heartbeat. i think what makes this difficult is that the headliner bends as you apply pressure, so you cant really get good leverage on the plastic lens. realistically, the screwdriver should be between the metal frame and the plastic lens, but because everything bends when you apply pressure, it just doesnt let go.

the trunk light, on the other hand, pops off in seconds, since the plastic lens will move independently of the metal body frame that its connecting to.

OP - good job on the DIY! only thing i disagree on is touching the metal contacts with the screwdriver. i actually just wore a rubber glove and i was able to pull it off without the need to remove anything else.

also what will make it easier is that, once you pop it off, you can unplug the power connector so you dont have to work on the light while its hanging from the headliner.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
ha, i just cracked the plastic cover the other day. i was trying to wedge the screwdriver between the plastic and the metal instead of between the metal and the headliner. nice write-up!

Also, I removed the bulb by grabbing it with a set of needle nose pliers and tugging gently.

Last edited by AndrewA; 09-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I followed the DIY in the garage and managed to get it out pretty easily. Took a few tries to actually figure it out.

Mine did not have that plastic cover over the bulb? I simply used the tape method to pull the bulbs out, that worked flawlessly.

Nice writeup though.. seeing this would have saved me a little time on all the reading, but oh well.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I agree:

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I thought the trunk lens was the same/similar to the Vanity Lenses? Pretty Sure.

The Vanity Lenses are PITMFA. Thats one engineer that should roast in hell for all eternity, replacing burned out 3G Vanity Mirror Bulbs.
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Easy for you to say, lol. Those stupid F'n plastic lenses cost like $16 each and, yes, they DO break.

I have put a curse on engineer who designed the vanities. He will rot in Hell for all eternity replacing vanity bulbs on a 3G TL.

The "trick" is get that small screwdriver between the Lens and the Metal Bracket and push the Lens clip in, then pull down. The clip is on the side closest to the center of the car.
Undying Dreams (11-17-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

That also goes for the steering wheel, dash, and console lights !!!
Undying Dreams (11-17-2012)
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Bump for a great thread, also, possible move to 3G Garage?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey there, just swapped my vanities for LEDs tonight. Just wanted to add to this DIY, I found what I think is an easier way to get to them. If you look on the edge closest to the middle of the car there's an indent and I found if you just slide a screw driver in there it pops right open.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics but you get the idea. And those debating LEDs DO IT!! Looks so much cleaner with the pure white light.
Mak
The following 3 users liked this post by MacKenzie001:
rydoggg (06-23-2013), ssbusa (07-15-2013), Undying Dreams (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you so much for this, I tried some many times and was just about to give up.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Yeah when I did this mod it was a PITA to do. Hell I took out the whole bracket on the passanger side. After that, I figure out about what post #11 just showed.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 233 Posts
Is it necessary to remove that little plastic piece to get the bulb out? or can you just wrap it with some tape and pull the bulb straight out?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, thank you and awesome job on the initial writeup and pictures.
I wanted to add to this great writeup regarding the actual removal of the bulb. You can get the bulb out without removing that plastic by:
1. Unplug the light from the harness (You could leave it in but its easier if removed).
2. Grab the bulb
3. With your other thumb...use your nail to push it out as your pulling with your other hand.
[IMG][/IMG]

It should come right out...it did for me in both of my TL's.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Great write-up. Anybody know the LED size/part # for this vanity light?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I believe its 194, some one can confirm this.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes its 194, I have a ton of LEDS laying around if anyone needs a kit let me know....AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT USING A SCREWDRIVER UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT THE HOUSING/WIRING. NO POINT IN BLOWING FUSES
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MacKenzie001
Hey there, just swapped my vanities for LEDs tonight. Just wanted to add to this DIY, I found what I think is an easier way to get to them. If you look on the edge closest to the middle of the car there's an indent and I found if you just slide a screw driver in there it pops right open.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics but you get the idea. And those debating LEDs DO IT!! Looks so much cleaner with the pure white light.
Mak
Thank you for this post and pictures!!! I tried the service manual instructions and just couldnt make sense of what to do having not closely seen the design of the light lens! I knew there was a tab to release but how it was situated in relation to the housing etc etc.. was a mystery.

I finally tried this technique and within 5 seconds i felt something shift - and I finally had hope this was going to get done today!!! then with a little more careful prying and pushing - the lense popped out - and I was done !!

thank you very much for this!!