3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Tighten Fuel Cap FIX

Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
DIY - Tighten Fuel Cap FIX

This is a pretty common problem amongst most Acura TL 2004-2008 Type S and Base Models.

I will be showing you a complete DIY to fix this problem.

Required parts/tools

-Purge Control Solenoid Valve part # 36162-RDV-J01
-10mm socket
-Pilers
-Flathead (optional)

The purge control valve is listed for $100 on Acura Parts | OEM Acura Parts | Factory Acura Parts

However I found mines used for a fraction of the cost from people parting out their crashed TLs. I ended up buying two since it was so cheap and due to my fear that the sensor might be malfunctioning.

Before going into the actual steps, I want to show you guys something that is worth noting.

So I got one from a 2007 Base model TL and one off of a 2006 Acura TL both automatic.

Pictures...

This is off of the 2006 Acura TL...DENSO made in MEXICO. This one didn't work as it went bad prior to buying the part and the one that came off of my 2008 Acura TL Type S was also made in Mexico and that one malfunctioned around 80K Miles.

This is came off of a 2007 Acura TL Base...MADE in JAPAN also by DENSO with the same serial number as the one made in Mexico. This one was the working one. The Japanese also
felt slightly heavier in weight.

I believe the Japanese made sensors might be more superior than the ones made in Mexico but this is just based on my one encounter with this situation. It would be interesting to hear some of your input
about where your sensor was manufactured and if it has any problems.

Now on to the DIY

Step 1 - Unplug the sensor by unclipping the red plug attached to it
Step 2 - Remove clip that attaches the hose on to the intake manifold and detach the hose. This might be on tight so be careful when removing as it could rip the hose. I used a angled needle nose plier to push on the edge of the hose which freed the hose quite easily. A flathead could also be used. Also, it is easier only remove the hose from the intake manifold first and once you get the whole sensor off remove the hose from the sensor.

Step 3 - Unscrew the two 10mm nuts (one on top and one of the bottom) and be cautious of dropping the washers because you will need them. I noticed that the 2006 TL used 10mm bolts instead of a nut and washer.

Step 4 - Take the sensor off the brackets and now you will have a dangling sensor. The bottom hose should still be attached but you will have more room to remove the clip and hose.
Heres a picture of the bottom hose and clip. Its kind of hard to see but its pretty self-explanatory

TOTAL TIME - 15 minutes if you're experienced with removing parts off the car.

Difficulty - EASYY

It took around an hour of driving for the tighten fuel cap message to reset and go away fully. Ive driven over 1000 miles with no problems.

Last edited by winkyyy; 07-13-2016 at 09:43 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by winkyyy:
alexbach23 (08-01-2016), DeathMetal (07-14-2016), EvilVirus (07-15-2016), mrkingstonvi (07-14-2016), Ron A (07-13-2016), Speedy3 (07-13-2016), Timothy Lee (07-17-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Thanks for posting again!!

Maybe a mod can merge the two and add it to the garage formally?

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-915682/page2/
Old 07-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome write up and visuals
Old 07-15-2016, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like an easy fix, thanks! This error message has been driving me crazy going off all the time. Great post with pictures and instructions. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. My TL-S constantly shows the message if I floor the pedal on fwy or if its a hot/humid day.

What is the root cause of these going bad in first place?

I thought this would be a EGR valve issue (clog) which is sometime common on J-series engines, is it not?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by corrado85
Thanks for the write-up. My TL-S constantly shows the message if I floor the pedal on fwy or if its a hot/humid day.

What is the root cause of these going bad in first place?

I thought this would be a EGR valve issue (clog) which is sometime common on J-series engines, is it not?

Thanks
I know the EGR valve issue is common for other J series models but I havent heard anything about our specific J series engine. As far as the tighten fuel cap problem, the purge control valve is the most common reason why we get the message. It is also stated in one of the Acura service bulletins. Not sure why it goes bad tho. It might just be a manufacture defect.
The following 2 users liked this post by winkyyy:
corrado85 (07-17-2016), EvilVirus (10-07-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

Thanks from a old newbie

My 07 TL-s has the same issue and this fix makes since! Thanks for saving me the headaches, let me know where to send the aspirin refills
Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
8th Gear

I bought my TL about a month ago and have had the warning since day one. Thinking about taking it in for service.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by L1GHT
I bought my TL about a month ago and have had the warning since day one. Thinking about taking it in for service.
In the service bulletin, Acura states that they may be willing to perform the service for free as a good will depending on existing circumstances, such as year of your car and miles. I had 135K miles on my TL and they said, its highly unlikely that they will cover the costs fully. The service manager estimated that I would get approved for at most for 50% of the cost. The cost of replacing the part and labor would've ran me $203 from my local Acura dealer. Also, in order for them to approve of any good will service, they require you to pay a $50 diagnostic fee up front and if you decide to get it fixed through them, that $50 that you paid would be placed towards the parts and labor for the replacement. At the time, I already spent over 2K on my car on maintenance and fixing various broken parts that I was reluctant on the possibility that I may need to spend another $100+ to fix a dumb warning light that has no effect on performance. Therefore, I just took matters into my own hands and ending up buying a used sensor for $10 and installed it myself. If you do buy a used sensor I recommend finding one that is manufactured in Japan. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, the dealer is always a good backup option at a premium of course.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Timothy Lee
My 07 TL-s has the same issue and this fix makes since! Thanks for saving me the headaches, let me know where to send the aspirin refills
Glad this helped! Let me know if you have any questions.

No need for any more aspirin refills, save that money for a new sensor!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
I did it yesterday. This message was popping out every time I filled up the tank, or when it was really low, and just randomly while driving. I ordered valve from oemacura, the one that came was made in Japan. The bad one in my car was made in Mexico. I filled up the tank full, so far no "Tighten cap" message. Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 AM
Certified Acura Tech.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
==> As coincidental as it may seem, as of earlier today, this same warning light appeared on my info display (which was also today). I have never seen it pop up before, but from a technical standpoint (which I'm sure I share with MANY of you lol), one time of this message being displayed is ONE TIME TOO MANY!!! Therefore, I will be changing out this part as well, with the Japanese manufactured model, of course, in the next few days. Thank you for sharing this, as I'm sure it'll have saved me from far too many hours of unnecessary and unsuccessful diagnostics!

==> For those of you who have gone with replacing the old, bad one with a used valve, which way did you go about getting your used ones? Junkyard, locally online, or did you purchase it somewhere else? Thanks for all the helpful info in advance!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 AM
8th Gear

I did end up taking it in for service. They slipped up and told me the car had been brought in for the same problem before, by the previous owner. They did end up fixing it free of charge. It was literally the only time I left the dealer service department feeling satisfied.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by alexbach23
==> As coincidental as it may seem, as of earlier today, this same warning light appeared on my info display (which was also today). I have never seen it pop up before, but from a technical standpoint (which I'm sure I share with MANY of you lol), one time of this message being displayed is ONE TIME TOO MANY!!! Therefore, I will be changing out this part as well, with the Japanese manufactured model, of course, in the next few days. Thank you for sharing this, as I'm sure it'll have saved me from far too many hours of unnecessary and unsuccessful diagnostics!

==> For those of you who have gone with replacing the old, bad one with a used valve, which way did you go about getting your used ones? Junkyard, locally online, or did you purchase it somewhere else? Thanks for all the helpful info in advance!!!
I got mines off craigslist from a guy that specializes in parting out TLs. Only $10 for the sensor which was a steal. Junkyards and car-part.com are also other options you can check out

I did end up taking it in for service. They slipped up and told me the car had been brought in for the same problem before, by the previous owner. They did end up fixing it free of charge. It was literally the only time I left the dealer service department feeling satisfied.
Great to hear. When finding a dealer to service your car, everything depends on your service manager. If you have a good one they will go above and beyond to help you. I had 2 great experiences from two separate acura dealers that were great to work with. They were able to get my car fixed for free and ways to avoid corporate acura from getting involved, especially since my car has noticeable modifications.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks O P!

Thank you winkyyy for taking your time to document and provide pics for this repair.
Our 2008 TL-S recently began to manifest this problem at ~ 68,000 miles, mostly during warm and humid weather driving.
I'll fold this little fix in with the upcoming amplifier re-fresh!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Thanks OP for this DIY!

I've had my 07 TLs for about a month and it would pop up about 2-3 times a day.

Installed the new sensor 2 days ago and it has vanished!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Bought my sensor off ebay for 59.00 clams, took me 30 minutes to install and have been ok so far. I removed the fuse box screws and moved it up and out of the way to get a better angle on things. I didn't have a pair of angled pliers so it was a bit harder. Now on to fixing my TPMS light not shutting off...Thanks OP