3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer won't pass my car on inspection because of cleared headlight assembly???

Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Same old same old for this message board - some guy makes a change to something illegal then whines about the unfairness of having problems over it.
Yeez man, lighten up!!

All he was asking was if anyone else who had altered headlights has ever had a problem with passing the equipment inspections.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
We have talked about this legality/inspections issue many times a I think this is the first documented case where someone has run into a real problem now. I don't think anyone has had tickets or inspection problems yet.

Actually it is true. Altering the headlights can make them illegal. They are carefully engineered considering light output and visibility at different angles and different weather conditions. They are DOT approved and once something is altered it can't be considered "legal". Especially if lenses are removed (Changing refractive properties) or reflectors are blacked out. Normally nobody gives a hoot and notices except one important aspect. You have to have an amber reflector in the front. If it is missing, smoked or white it is illegal. It needs to be amber for safety. Most of us are rolling without reflectors with no problems. If you ask me the rear red reflectors are the ones that are really important for safety.

The reason why your cleared headlights were noticed is because you went to the dealer. They definitely know the difference in the modding you do more than anyone. They can easily differentiate stock from yours because they see stock cars all day. They are definitely hating on you because for most of them it's a peeve to see someone modify a car designed by their own company.

It is your $35k luxury so tell them to go suck on a nut and take your car elsewhere for inspections. They won't notice and you will pass.

It is the amber reflector that is illegal. Modding DOT approved parts is illegal. Is this a part of their inspection protocol is the only question that needs addressing. If so, your hosed. Find another shop. If not, your not hosed. Find another shop.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Same old same old for this message board - some guy makes a change to something illegal then whines about the unfairness of having problems over it.

I think you miss judged the original post. I was asking if there were any other people who had run into the same problem. Yes, I shouldn't have had the dealer inspect it but my car was there for recalls and I figured while it was in, get it inspected. No worries as it will pass at any other shop. I am not whining, just posting to get some answers......As we all do on this site.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
I think you miss judged the original post. I was asking if there were any other people who had run into the same problem. Yes, I shouldn't have had the dealer inspect it but my car was there for recalls and I figured while it was in, get it inspected. No worries as it will pass at any other shop. I am not whining, just posting to get some answers......As we all do on this site.
No problem I must have read more in then you intended. We all do stuff to cars that will cause issues with various laws if they are picked up & we are called out on it.

Thing that gets my goat is the sense of entitlement some guys here have about how unfair it is that they are being persecuted by a tickets for tint, exhaust, whatever when they know before they ever do it that its illegal & just a matter of time before they get whacked.

They will spend hundreds of dollars to make a mod then bitch about having to pay the fine. The fine is the cost of doing business & should be figured in when you decide if you can afford to do the mod.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
No problem I must have read more in then you intended. We all do stuff to cars that will cause issues with various laws if they are picked up & we are called out on it.

Thing that gets my goat is the sense of entitlement some guys here have about how unfair it is that they are being persecuted by a tickets for tint, exhaust, whatever when they know before they ever do it that its illegal & just a matter of time before they get whacked.

They will spend hundreds of dollars to make a mod then bitch about having to pay the fine. The fine is the cost of doing business & should be figured in when you decide if you can afford to do the mod.

I'm glad I've learned about this. I've a couple of items that are questionable and/or Fail for the NC inspection. I'm OK until next summer, but then .... ?

My mods, my problem if they are not legal. However, I would like to find a way to pass without removing the mod(s).
Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that sucks j. good luck with the new inspection
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I'm glad I've learned about this. I've a couple of items that are questionable and/or Fail for the NC inspection. I'm OK until next summer, but then .... ?
I think the only thing illegal on your car, according to the laws, are the tinted taillights.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

Correct. But they passed it - Honda/Acura owner (and modder) did the inspection, so I got lucky.