Sponsored by:

Custom headlights by JnC, part III.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Custom headlights by JnC, part III.

After running the second thread for more than a year and half and having it go past 33 pages its only fair if I update it a tad and start all over again.

For those of you who know me and know my work you already know what me and my work is about. For the rest of the crowd here is a brief break down.

Previous threads

Custom headlights by JnC.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/custom-headlights-jnc-641022/

Custom Headlights by JnC, continued.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/custom-headlights-jnc-continued-718576/

Got JnC's custom headlights? Post pictures here

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/got-jncs-custom-headlights-post-pictures-here-724822/

Turn around time

Headlights that are sent in for work have highest of priority. I will work with the customer's schedule to make sure down time is as little as possible. Depending on the what the project requires I take 1~2 days to finalize everything and ship the lights back to the customer.

JnC's Trade-In/Core Exchange program

This is a very simple and efficient way of getting your headlights worked on without putting your car out of commission. I have with me a few sets of 3G TL headlights that I can modify and send of to the customer and they can install them and send their headlights back to me. This way your car wouldn’t be off the road for more than the installation time

Customer will be responsible for shipping cost which I'd endure to send the headlights to them.

Unlike the past where I use to have a list for my trade in option, I will no longer have that, I have ample number of all year TL headlights available to keep the trade in program available to anyone interested at any given time, so if you are ready then I am ready to commence work on your project.

Headlights are all OEM, no depo or aftermarket sets will be offered or taken back as trade in. I will send you modified OEM headlights and will expect the same in return.

Core exchange program is a way for member to avoid putting their car out of commission while they have this mod done by no means its a way for someone to ditch their damaged headlights for a set of good ones. Headlights that will be shipped to you would be in good, if not great, condition and that is what I expect in return. Most people realize this and so is why I havent had any issues in the past with people sending me damaged headlights. If your headlights have above than normal wear then get in touch with me and we'll discuss if I can offer you the trade in or not. Also, I have been asked in the past if I can exchange older model headlights for new ones, the program is for exchange with same year TL headlights i.e. 04-05 for 04-05, 06 for 06, base 07-08 for base 07-08 and same goes for Type S headlights .

Trade in available for all years and types of 3G TL.

Trade in process

1) After discussing the details with the you and finalizing the final project I'll ask for a $350 deposit for the headlights through paypal, $350 is a reasonable price for a used set of OEM headlights. This deposit is fully refundable and will be refunded once I get your OEM headlights back from you and once everything checks out good.

2) After deposit is received I'll commence work on the project and once headlights are ready to be shipped I'll ask for payment for labor etc.

3) Second payment will consist labot, parts (if needed), trade in charge and shipping.

4) Upon receiving second payment I'll ship the lights out.

5) Once you receive the new headlights you will install them and ship your old ones back.

6) As stated in first step, your $350 deposit will be fully refunded once I get your old OEM headlights back.

Modifications available for the 3G TL headlights

I am open to ideas so if you think you have an idea that you want executed for your set, let me know and if its feasible then I am willing to work on it.

here are some common mods or the 3G headlights.

Clear lens swaps

ZKW swap

ZKW swap include swapping the Fresnel TL projector lens with one from an 04 BMW 330 XI projector made by ZKW, hence the name ZKW swap. Lens swap yields a sharp and crisp cut off along with better light dispersion towards the corners.

ZKW replica lenses.

Due to the high price of ZKW clears recently the replica ZKW lenses were introduced to the market.

ZKW-R lenses are $40 and I have them in stock.

Bulb upgrade

The fact is that the stock D2S HID bulb just sucks, they are made by Osram and they loose their intensity after 100 hours worth of use i.e. they color shift. Right of the box they produce 3200 lumens each and after color shifting the output goes down to as much as 2800 lumens. One of the best HID bulb present on the market is the Phillips D2S model 85122+ not to be confused with 85122. These bulbs are rated at 3400 lumens and are known not to color shift so they retain their output level. Just to take care of any ambiguity, these are not your smurf colored blue bulbs, osrams are 4300k and phillips are 4200k. I personally would NEVER recommend using a higher kelvin bulb since they are VERY poor in adverse condition driving.

Phillips 85122+ bulbs are $85 shipped through my vendor.

CCFL and LED halos

Currently there are two variations of halos available for the 3G TL.

CCFL halos -- Offered by umnitza

Pros: Made to fit the 3G TL, slim, aesthetically pleasing to most.
Cons: Poor dependability, easily break and need ballasts to run.

LED Halos

Pros: Very dependable, dont need ballasts to run
Cons: Thicker in size, block 5~10% light output usually not noticeable to most.

Name:  IMG_1017.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  74.0 KB

LED strips

Another popular mod.

Side emitting LED strips can be installed inside the headlights upon request.

Carbon Fiber Inlays.

Carbon fiber inlays can also be installed depending on customer's requirements.

You can either have CF as it is.

or you can have them installed with the type S clear diffusers.

*I do not have type S diffusers, they will be installed if you provide them or if you have type S or CDM headlights.

Aftermarket Clear Diffusers

Since type S semi clear diffusers are hard to get you can always opt for USR complete clear diffusers. These can be modified to fit any year 3G TL.

Liability: DOT laws vary from state to state, kindly check with your states laws before opting for my services as I will not personally be held liable if you are in violation of any DOT codes.

Limited Warranty: Work is guaranteed against leaking/fogging for one year. I stand behind my work and my past customers can attest to that fact. My work has been time tested and proven .

A few pictures.

Link to my gallery with more pictures : https://acurazine.com/forums/members/jnc-26894-albums-custom-headlights-jnc-586/

This is how the stock headlights look like

Cleared (04-06 headlights)

Cleared (02-03 TL headlights)

Blacked out Version 1 (V1) : Turn signal reflector is completely blacked out

Blacked out Version 2 (V2) : Turn signal reflector is partially blacked out, some of the reflective surface is left chrome.

Blacked out Version 2 (V2) with pained fog light bulb cover

Blacked out Version 2 (V2) with painted fog light bulb cover and Type S clear diffuser (amber pieces in the OEM type S clear diffusers are painted black as well).

Blacked out Version 2 (V2) 07-08 Base Model TL

Color matched Version 2 (V2), Satin Silver Metallic

Color Matched Version 2 (V2), Anthracite

Blacked out V2 with CCFLs

Blacked out V2 with OEM amber diffuser and chrome strip across the diffuser painted black as well.

Blacked out V2 (07-08 base TL) with Carbon fiber inlays

Blacked out V2 (07-08 Base TL) with CCFLs

Blacked out V2 with OEM amber diffuser, silver OEM bezel painted Anthracite, Flat (matte) Black finish

Prices

Cleared headlights-- $100
Blacked out/cleared-- $150
Color Match/Cleared-- $140 + cost of color match. I do not use paint from paintscratch.com any more as the quality of the final product is not the same as from a body shop. Body shop paint services cost almost the same as paintscratch.com.
ZKW-R lenses : $40
LED halos : PM me to be directed to my vendor
CCFL halos : PM me to be directed to my vendor
Phillips Bulbs : PM me to be directed to my Vendor

Halo install -- $20
LED strips install - $20
Clear lens swap - Free of charge when having headlights modified
Carbon fiber accents -- $20 (Includes cost of custom cut pieces with CF overlays installed)
Trade in charge - $25

Each set will come with a set of custom made washers to go around the ballast and create a perfect seal; these washers will replace the flimsy factory foam washers.

Headlight resurfacing surfaces

I can resurface headlights if yours have been pitted or damaged from accident/oxidation. Each resurfacing job will be assessed before I commit to the notion that I can restore the lens, so check with me first.

I modify all sorts of headlights regardless of the make/model, kindly get in touch with me if you have any questions about a project you are interested in getting done.

My contact info

I can be contacted either by PM here on AcuraZine or by email, text and phone.

Email : rook786(at)aol(dot)com

Txt: (Five Zero Eight) Three Six Zero - Eight Three Two Zero
The following 5 users liked this post by JnC:
Cteg6 (11-04-2012), EL BAN (09-28-2014), MrG22 (11-16-2013), ndm1112 (02-23-2014), TJ Sense (05-09-2012)
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

A few more pictures

Type S headlights with CCFL halos, blacked out V2, retained amber diffuser bits.

04-06 Headlights, Blacked out V2, USR all clear diffusers, painted fog light bulb cover, matte black.

Type S headlights, Blacked out V2, painted amber diffusers bits.

04-06 headlights, blacked out V1, matte black, painted fog light bulb cover plus painted chrome strip.

04-06 Headlights, blacked out V2, painted fog light bulb covers, glossy black, new style CF inserts.

07-08 base headlights, blacked out V2, type S diffusers with CF overlays.

The following users liked this post:
Dmoney23 (04-05-2012)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts
would it look weird to have both the LED strip and the halos together?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by StiCkY~RiCe
would it look weird to have both the LED strip and the halos together?
everyone has a different opinion on this, my opinion is yes, it would look weird.

but...you can have the LED's and halo's installed, then wire them up to 2 separate rocker switches n install those switches near your steering column. that way you have the option to turn on the LED's, or halo's, or both...whenever you want.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
where can i get USR complete clear diffusers and turn singal reflectors out of curiousity?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Seem like you don't do the Cleared headlights = free ZKW lens swap and CF if provided the materials anymore...?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
JNC does good work. So if anyone is worried about his integrity, don't. He has done a lot of headlights and have done this for years. I got my V2 Headlights from him with ZKW and I love them on my NBP. I'm about to bring them back to him so he can install some LED's too
The following users liked this post:
WishaninjaWood (10-13-2014)
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^agreed.

high quality work and great guy! don't hesitate
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by winkyyy
Seem like you don't do the Cleared headlights = free ZKW lens swap and CF if provided the materials anymore...?

I do clear headlights, charge for just cleared is $100 if you send your lights in for the work.

While getting them cleared if you want CF and ZKW installed and provide me with the lenses and CF then total cost of labor would be $115 as CF install requires painting the amber bits in the type S diffusers and then carefully installing the CF on top of that.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Pro

wait, i'm a bit confused with the prices, so how much is it all together for the blacked out v2 with carbon fiber + ZKW-R lenses + LED halos + LED strips + trade-in programs cost?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
wait, i'm a bit confused with the prices, so how much is it all together for the blacked out v2 with carbon fiber + ZKW-R lenses + LED halos + LED strips + trade-in programs cost?
straight from JnC

Blacked out V2 -- $150
Halo install -- $20
LED strip install -- $20
CF work -- $15
ZKW swap -- Free

Headlight total -- $205

*CF is if you supply him with the material, same with the zkw lense swap. you supply those parts, those are the prices.*

correct me if i'm wrong, JnC.

Last edited by SharksBreath; 10-26-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: memory loss.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Pro

Hey SharksBreath, thanks for the replies.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
straight from JnC

Blacked out V2 -- $150
Halo install -- $20
LED strip install -- $20
CF work -- $15
ZKW swap -- Free

Headlight total -- $205

*CF is if you supply him with the material, same with the zkw lense swap. you supply those parts, those are the prices.*

correct me if i'm wrong, JnC.
JnC will swap the lens for free as long as you provide him the ZKW lens. Sticky Rice wants the ZKW-R which means it's an additional $40. The total then becoming $245 if he sends in his lights for the work. If he does the program without getting the car out of commission then it's an additional $25, making it $270.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

my order will be coming soon.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
I do clear headlights, charge for just cleared is $100 if you send your lights in for the work.

While getting them cleared if you want CF and ZKW installed and provide me with the lenses and CF then total cost of labor would be $115 as CF install requires painting the amber bits in the type S diffusers and then carefully installing the CF on top of that.
Only the zkw lens from the 04 330xi will work right? I found a few e46 lens but I wasn't sure if it will provide the same quality cut off line. And the cf is the same one from 3m right?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I know this is outside your usual services, but just curious on how much would you charge for a retrofit in the DRL? With me providing the projectors? Or would you rather me contacting another retrofitter?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by nate_0022
I know this is outside your usual services, but just curious on how much would you charge for a retrofit in the DRL? With me providing the projectors? Or would you rather me contacting another retrofitter?
I never got a reply from him when I PM'd him =[
I did a retrofit in my car with projector-fogs... but thinking of replacing those with TSX [with yellow lens]. Been busy so didn't want to do it and have JNC do it instead.

Anyway, curious about this too!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
ReamzTL2

BEautiful Headlights mannnn
Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I never got a reply from him when I PM'd him =[
I did a retrofit in my car with projector-fogs... but thinking of replacing those with TSX [with yellow lens]. Been busy so didn't want to do it and have JNC do it instead.

Anyway, curious about this too!

Really? I thought I had sent you a PM.

I am working on waterjet cut brackets right now to be used with the base 04-06 TL to be used to help retrofit TSX/S2k/e46 projectors into the fog light opening. As soon as they are ready to go I'll update the thread .
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Any update for my question

I'm looking to either retrofit in a FX-R projector, or S2K-R (If they ever come out lol.)
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by JnC
Really? I thought I had sent you a PM.

I am working on waterjet cut brackets right now to be used with the base 04-06 TL to be used to help retrofit TSX/S2k/e46 projectors into the fog light opening. As soon as they are ready to go I'll update the thread .
Haven't received a reply but that's okay, you replied here
Waterjet-cut-brackets? Dang! That's serious business! And here I was thinking of retrofitting it myself and using bent metal tabs like I've seen on HID Planet.
I guess I'll just wait and have headlights sent to you instead =o

Still wondering though...
Can we put in a 2.5" Yellow Lens from the Lexus ES300 on the TSX? I assume it wouldn't be the greatest... Or would it be better to tint the lens on the TSX with yellow-glass-stainer-thingamabobber?

I'm looking to either retrofit in a FX-R projector, or S2K-R (If they ever come out lol.)
I'm surprised TRS hasn't made a S2K-R yet when I think about! They supposedly reversed engineered the FXs...

Last edited by o4Komodo; 10-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I'm surprised TRS hasn't made a S2K-R yet when I think about! They supposedly reversed engineered the FXs...
Matt is actually getting them made right now. They've just been delayed on release dates yet. Not sure if you venture over to HIDplanet at all, but check this out.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?29883-S2K-R-In-the-Making-(Preview-Only)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Matt is actually getting them made right now. They've just been delayed on release dates yet. Not sure if you venture over to HIDplanet at all, but check this out.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?29883-S2K-R-In-the-Making-(Preview-Only)
Sweet! I actually haven't went to HID Planet for a long time. And when I was on there... I never noticed this thread. Looks like I'll have some fun reading to do.

On another note, aren't the FX-R Bi-Xenons?
If so, how would you/we hook up the hi-beam-solenoid of the FX-R to that of the TLs stock? I haven't had much reading or look at the projectors or wiring...
Don't want to clutter the thread anymore actually so someone who knows PM please =D [maybe I'll opt for a tri-bixenons!]
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Good work bro..
Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

FX-R would be a tight fit. But S2K-Rs might work, I am slated to get one of the first sets of S2K-Rs when they come in . Once the water-jet brackets are ready I'll offer that as a thorough service to the 3G crowd at a reasonable price since there wont be much work involved mounting the S2K-Rs with the brackets onto the 3G headlights.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Pro

hey JnC. Are you gonna be able to do a custom headlights now or is there a line?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

hey JnC. Are you gonna be able to do a custom headlights now or is there a line?

If you are asking that am I still offering a trade in program? Yes, I am, there is no list as I have ample sets for each year/model 3G to offer them at any given time for trade in.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by JnC
FX-R would be a tight fit. But S2K-Rs might work, I am slated to get one of the first sets of S2K-Rs when they come in . Once the water-jet brackets are ready I'll offer that as a thorough service to the 3G crowd at a reasonable price since there wont be much work involved mounting the S2K-Rs with the brackets onto the 3G headlights.

I'm excited! =D
I'm thinking of holding off my retrofit plans for this S2K-R. I'd love to have another pair of S2K-R [or TSX for that matter] as my lower fogs. heheheh. No more playing around with the little thangs [ES300 projectors]
Old 11-02-2010, 06:15 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Ch33sE1's headlights

Type S headlights
Blacked out V2
CF overlays
ZKW-R swap
Orion V2 LED halos

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

One of the members sent his headlights in to have the front lenses refinished as they had bad oxidation/fading marks left from use plus previous resurfacing from other companies. Lenses were resurfaced completely to bring them back to new condition.

07-08 Base headlights
Completely refinished front lenses.
Blacked out V2
CF inserts
ZKW-R swap
Orion V2 LED halos

Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
JnC has provided excellent customer service, the best I've seen in my lifetime. I took my car apart before I went on one week vacation and sent my lights out to him. He gave me day-to-day emails of the progress of my lights. He had the halo's next-day expressed to him so he can catch the deadline. He also called me long distance just to give me my tracking number of the express package back to Toronto, Canada. Excellent quality, and highly recommended service
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Mike421's headlights

Details
Another 3G first, umnitza just introduced their multicolor LED halos for the 3G and sent me a set to be installed in Mike's headlights. My camera didnt really pick up all the colors but there are around 12 different colors to choose from.

07-08 Base headlights
Colormatched AM V2
CF inserts
ZKW-R swap
LED strips
Umnitza Orion V2 multi-color LED Halos

Small video of the halos going through different colors, you can select a color and lock it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kq9o_syLOg
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Wow that is just ridiculous. If they were reliable, I would be all over those.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look good, but i wouldn't find it necessary for those color.

But im liking those V2 orion Halos
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Racer

Damn thats crazy. How much for those halos?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you had any problems with the led strips from oznium? i installed mine myself and i had leds on both sides burnt out. im in the process of replacing them now
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

From my understanding the halo kit is $299, I am not sure about the dependability of the multicolor ones since these just came out but the old Orion LED V2 halos are pretty dependable.

The oznium side emitting LED strips are dependable but not the other ones.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi JnC,

Just wondering what the status is on my headlight modifications?
The ZKW lenses arrived at your location mid last week.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

04-05 TL headlights for sale

Got a set of 04-05 TL headlights for sale $400 shipped. Inner tab on the passenger side headlight has been mended.

Details

04-05 TL headlights
Blacked out Matte black V1

Headlights will look identical to the following

Potential buyer has to let me know the following

Paint the fog light bulb cover or leave it chrome?
Paint the chrome strip across the turn signal or leave it chrome?

For an additional $50 I can install a set of ZKW-R lenses and also carbon fiber inlays.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Any news on S2K-Rs?

Quick Reply: Custom headlights by JnC, part III.