Chirping noise around belt still persistent after replacing pulley (2008 TL-S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chirping noise around belt still persistent after replacing pulley (2008 TL-S)

Hey guys,

2008 TL-S / 75K

I have this wicked annoying noise coming from around my belt. I did research on here and came to the conclusion that it was most likely my tensioner pulley. Well, I replaced the pulley, bolt, and bearing, and I still have the same noise as before. Not the P/S o-ring thing either. I think I might just need a new belt? However, my current belt was not showing any problems or signs of wear. Suggestions? Link to the noise I uploaded on youtube below..

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Check the belt also make sure your alternator bearing is good too, it could be the source
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Cruisin'

My 2008 TL-S has been chirping/squeaking from the drive belt side of the engine off and on for the past few years. Upon engine start I would get the chirp until the engine warmed up and it would go away. Over time the noise would not go away even after the engine has warmed up to operating temps. I have replaced the drive belt 6 times...belt tensioner twice and the power steering pump once...all under warranty. After completely loosing my sh@t at the stealership they went and replaced the crankshaft pulley. The car is now silent with no noises at all. Mind you I have been down this road many times where the stealership "fixes" it and the noise comes back after a few months. There are many possible causes for this chirping noise and I think I may have tried every one. Will keep posted if this chirp returns.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the noise go away once the engine is up to operating temp?

I am currently going through a similar thing and it's annoying. My drive belt was replaced last year in August as a preventative maintenance item when I bought the car. December it started making the noise. Dealer performed the TSB for cold start up noise & all was good. 1 week later the noise is back. They replaced the drive belt and all was good....until this week. The noise is back. I have an appointment booked & will let you know. Since taking ownership this car has been in the shop every month for all sorts of things.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

Typically you can isolate belt vs pulley bearing noise by spraying the belt with something, like water or window cleaner. If you spray the ribbed side of the belt and it goes away, then it's a belt or mis aligned pulley, not alternator or tensioner bearing. Biggest reason I've seen this happen is when someone spills coolant on the belt. Even a couple of drops will ruin a belt.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by philanderson68
Typically you can isolate belt vs pulley bearing noise by spraying the belt with something, like water or window cleaner. If you spray the ribbed side of the belt and it goes away, then it's a belt or mis aligned pulley, not alternator or tensioner bearing. Biggest reason I've seen this happen is when someone spills coolant on the belt. Even a couple of drops will ruin a belt.
Hmm now that you mention it, the noise started after I had the radiator replaced.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

I am pretty sure it is just the belt. It warmed up enough the other day (around 60) and the noise went away. However last night while coming into work, it was cold and raining outside, so the noise returned at start up. It did eventually go away though. I'm sure replacing the belt (which I was quoted $31 at the dealership) will solve the problem, but I have just been too busy recently. Will confirm after I replace belt.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you haven't already, replace the 3 bolts that mounts the ac compressor. I had the annoying squeak as well before replacing those bolts and the belt. There is a TSB on this.
The following users liked this post:
se05 (02-16-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have this same exact noise.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Doesn't sound like a belt noise, it's consistent.
when you changed the tensioner pulley, did you change both pullies? Tensioner assembly and the idler puller that the bolt goes through?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamestheunderdog
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have this same exact noise.
I never figured out the real problem, the noise ended up just going away all by itself a few days after my last post. Even with fluctuating temperatures (~30 to ~80 degrees outside..go figure only in NC) and rain, the noise has not come back.

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Doesn't sound like a belt noise, it's consistent.
when you changed the tensioner pulley, did you change both pullies? Tensioner assembly and the idler puller that the bolt goes through?
I only replaced the tensioner pulley, bolt, and bearing. I did not replace the idler pulley or its bolt. However when I replaced those things, the noise was still consistent and loud as seen in the video.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine squeaks if its humid out and the engine's cold. Once it warms up, its quiet. Mechanic said as long as there isn't sign of belt wear or pulley wobbling, don't worry about it...
Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Take your drivebelt off and start the car, does it still make that squeek noise??
If yes its your timing belt side.

Last edited by ECRD; 03-26-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Advanced

I had a similar noise. Cold start squeal/chirp that would go away once the engine warmed up. Then after a week or so the noise never returned. Then out of the blue it would start the process all over again. After a lot of back & forth & belt replacements the dealer & I were stumped.

Then......................I noticed the weirdest thing..........the noise occurred the morning after I ran the car through the car wash. It was crazy & it worked like clockwork. I ran the car through the car wash dropped the car off at the dealership and in the morning it would squeal/chirp as loud as can be. They found absolutely nothing wrong.

In conclusion it was determined the wax from the car wash must have gotten on the belt and caused the noise. I even tried the coin-op and sprayed water in the wheel wells & undercarriage and no noise the next morning. Also we had a very harsh winter here with extreme cold temps and the Acura always started and would idle as quiet as can be....except if I ran through the car wash the day before.