Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out all bushings in the LCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Changing out all bushings in the LCA

I've taken my car to two places so far to get looked at. With 125k miles, the 'rideability' has been getting worse every passing day. On smooth roads, it's not an issue, but on roads with any small cracks, there is some discomfort that has been apparent and keeps on getting bigger. I changed the sway bars links and motor mounts about 3-5 months ago. I changed the compliance bushings a year ago, and the struts about a year ago as well. When I took my acura for an oil change they said I need new compliance bushings (again). In that year I put like 25k miles on my car because I drive a lot. I went to another shop and the mechanic said absolutely nothing is wrong, so I'm not sure why my suspension feels "loose or clunky" when going over bumps.

I know there are plenty of threads on compliance bushings, and believe me I have read them all. When I looked at the bushings and posted it on here, people said my bushings looked fine.

Considering that Acura said I need new compliance bushings, I am going to put those in. The shop said 250 and I am also thinking of changing out the other bushings on the LCA including the Front Shock Absorber bushing (51810SDAA01) and lower front arm bushing (51393SEPA01). I was wondering if others have replaced these bushings on the LCA and have felt an improved comfort when riding the car. The labor price might go up another 100 but that's fine. I'm going to try at least and if this problem doesn't get fixed soon, then its come to the point where I will have to say goodbye to this car

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Here's the honest truth of the matter.

When the lower control arm bushings take a total shit, they tend to start wearing away on the cradle and eventually, crack it. I've seen it more than enough times. Also, the extra "play" accelerates the wear on the rest of the suspension components including the engine mounts.

As a suggested rule of thumb, if you're going to replace just one bushing, you might as well replace all 3 on the lower control arm and replace the lower ball joint. It will help with the way the suspension handles and the overall ability to function over bumps. It's part of preventative maintenance. Peace of mind for you and whoever else uses the car or rides in the car.

Over 100K most suspension components needs some form of attention. If you're lower control arm bushings are worn in a year frame, it's time to have the entire front end inspected very well. This includes what I said about the ball joint(s) and engine mounts. Bad engine mounts will also add additional wear on those components.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
EvilVirus (05-13-2016), truonghthe (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
There are a ton of bushings and balljoints that make up the front end. Inspecting them all is a very time consuming process.

Balljoints:
Upper arms 2
Lower arms 2
Outer tie rods 2
Inner tie rods 2

Bushings:
Upper arms 4
Lower arms 6
Shock upper hats 4
Subframe 6
Engine mounts 5
Steering gearbox 5
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
just replace the whole control arm lol . easier then pressing bushing in and out. you already gota take the whole arm out anyway s
Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same boat as OP, just got an 07 TL-S, noticed a lot of front end slop. I've test driven a TL base just a week ago and there was noticeably a difference.

Lo and behold, I take off the drivers side wheel...

and the tab that the stabilizer bar end links connect to on the LCA is no where to be seen. The bar end link is literally dangling off the bar with no connection to the control arm on the drivers side.

I guess it would (obviously) make sense to replace the entire arm at this point

Old 05-14-2016, 08:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The cracking of the compliance bushings has always been an issue on 3G TL's. I'm actually surprised there was never a recall on them. My original ones were cracked at 11K miles and the dealer replaced both lower control arms under warranty. They're cracked again now and Paul (our star mechanic in NJ) says I should replace them in the not distant future.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just took mine to the dealer. He said my suspension is fine. The bushings look good with the exception of an extremely minor tear in the left compliance bushing. the right one looks fine ( no tears ). There might be some dry rot but i'm going to change out the bushings and see if it changes anything.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a P/N for the compliance bushing? And any suggestions on aftermarket sources for the LCA bushings / kits -- I need to replace them all and wouldn't mind spending a little extra for something that will last longer than OEM.

In addition -- is it just better to replace the entire LCA? I have access to a press, so replacing the bushings is not an issue -- just wondering about the ease and reliability of an aftermarket arm.