3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LED's on the Market! Who Needs HID's?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acupower
How does their output when they are running at lower voltage (as drl) compare to the halogens? Do they flicker at all?
Yes I did notice little flickering at idle, but as the RPMs increased it had steady lighting. I would recommend to install with relay harness
The following users liked this post:
acupower (09-23-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jays_kbp610
Well you guys, after a month of waiting ive finally installed my DRL leds for my 07 TLS. Now I can confirm that the leds will work without a relay harness but, you dont get the full light output due to the low voltage. I went ahead and installed my relay harness since I had already ordered it. I get a brighter LED output and im 100% satisfied. Ill post the pictures when I get a chance
Can you put a dmm on your stock harness and tell me what your getting on both sides. I tried one of the bulbs direct into the stock on the side I was reading over 13v and my bulbs didn't light up at all.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 176 Likes on 34 Posts
Well you guys, after a month of waiting ive finally installed my DRL leds for my 07 TLS. Now I can confirm that the leds will work without a relay harness but, you dont get the full light output due to the low voltage. I went ahead and installed my relay harness since I had already ordered it. I get a brighter LED output and im 100% satisfied. Ill post the pictures when I get a chance
Awesome! Thanks for confirming that they do, in fact, power on with stock DRL power. If it were me, I'd probably use the harness also just to get the lights as bright as possible. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Can you put a dmm on your stock harness and tell me what your getting on both sides. I tried one of the bulbs direct into the stock on the side I was reading over 13v and my bulbs didn't light up at all.
You've probably done this, but try flipping the adapter plug that connects to the factory wiring. There is only one way it can go. The SRX that I installed these on used a 9005 LED as well. I remember it LOOKING like I had the adapter plugged in correctly, but it was wrong.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by Frosty
You've probably done this, but try flipping the adapter plug that connects to the factory wiring. There is only one way it can go. The SRX that I installed these on used a 9005 LED as well. I remember it LOOKING like I had the adapter plugged in correctly, but it was wrong.
I flipped them around and nothing. When I plug in the old ijdmtoy harness from the pass side I get the 13v on one end of the harness and on the other I get 8.98v. there is apparently something going on with the stock harness on the driver side with not showing any voltage which I find strange. Maybe I need to change out the oem plugs? I know I have seen them on one of the vendor's site so this may be a common problem. but nonetheless I should have been able to plug in the one bulb without any harness on the 13v side. I can't see how jays_kbp610 is getting his to light up on an 07tls and I can't.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes I did notice little flickering at idle, but as the RPMs increased it had steady lighting. I would recommend to install with relay harness
Instead of a whole harness, I'd try adding two 10,000 uF caps. The caps should take care of the flicker at low voltage.

This is the solution that VLEDS has come up with for their Acura DRL kit:

ACURA HONDA LED DRL CONVERSION KIT
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Tried to order this past hour but keep getting hash mismatch error.

Tried Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, my iPhone over 3G, nothing worked.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Banned

I flipped them around and nothing. When I plug in the old ijdmtoy harness from the pass side I get the 13v on one end of the harness and on the other I get 8.98v. there is apparently something going on with the stock harness on the driver side with not showing any voltage which I find strange. Maybe I need to change out the oem plugs? I know I have seen them on one of the vendor's site so this may be a common problem. but nonetheless I should have been able to plug in the one bulb without any harness on the 13v side. I can't see how jays_kbp610 is getting his to light up on an 07tls and I can't.
If you can't get any voltage reading on the OEM plug, that's any obvious problem. I would replace the plug and go from there.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Tried to order this past hour but keep getting hash mismatch error.

Tried Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, my iPhone over 3G, nothing worked.
Hmm... It may be because you're in Canada. I'll let the seller know, and he can just send you a PayPal invoice.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so do canadians need a harness for these to work? any particular harness we should order or this one from ebay would work? TWO 9005 Load Resistor 50W FOR LED Light FOG Light Headlight DRL Error Free NEW | eBay
and for Canadians its 9005 bulb size if i am not mistaken for the drls?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM
9th Gear

i am also having hash mismatch error as well
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Race Director

Yes you'll need a harness.

I have the iJDMToy harness (Option R3).

Frosty will contact the seller for you.

I received my paypal invoice yesterday and paid it.
Hope he ships it out to me soon.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 PM
9th Gear

Yes you'll need a harness.

I have the iJDMToy harness (Option R3).

Frosty will contact the seller for you.

I received my paypal invoice yesterday and paid it.
Hope he ships it out to me soon.
do you have a link for the harness I couldn't locate it on there site, thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by brarboyz
do you have a link for the harness I couldn't locate it on there site, thanks
Acura Honda Lexus High Beam LED Daytime Running Lights Decoder Modules

Select option R3
Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally got time to installed this on my 2009 Venza.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brarboyz
so do canadians need a harness for these to work?
and for Canadians its 9005 bulb size if i am not mistaken for the drls?
i am also having hash mismatch error as well
YES, you need 9005 for your DRLs. As far as the harness, jays_kbp610 confirmed in an earlier post that his 9005 LEDs worked WITHOUT a harness, but they weren't as bright, since they were only receiving 6v. I'm not sure if he still got an error code on the dash or not when using them without the harness. I would recommend getting a harness.

I will have the seller send you a PayPal invoice.

Originally Posted by toantran99
Finally got time to installed this on my 2009 Venza.
Those look amazing! Perfect match for the HIDs! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Those that are searching for the brightest fogs ever, do you use your fog lights for actual fog or to supplement the headlights in good weather?

I can't remember what I put in mine but they're a little brighter than stock and halogen. The fogs are supposed to throw a wider pattern and they're supposed to not blind you in fog. Anyone do research into the best type of light for foggy conditions? It seems like a lot of these bulbs would be the equivalent of using your brights in the fog.

I like the idea of LEDs, my whole house is LED now. I'm sure newer cars are using LEDs inside and out for the minuscule mpg improvements. However, they still have a lot of glare. I have a 650 lumen and a 3,600 lumen light for my mountain bike and the glare just from the 650 lumen manages to piss a lot of other bikers and cars off and the 3600 doesn't see street use. I'm sure the proper lens could do s lot but I can't imagine them being nice in the fog. If I'm wrong I would buy a set Monday.

Last edited by I hate cars; 09-27-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I've read/skimmed all 9 pages but don't believe I saw anyone that was able to get the H8 fog LEDs to fit properly in an 07/08?? Seems like a few members were able to get them in the lenses, but "pointing down and to the left". I would like to try these in my fogs, but not if they don't fit correctly.

I hate cars - I use my fogs all the time regardless of the weather conditions and have done similar to you and swapped out to a whiter and slightly brighter bulb color. I agree with you about the brights in the fog but the occurrence of fog is so infrequent I prefer to augment my headlights. The other thing is in the later 3G models with the fogs mounted lower to the road there is less light reflectance back to the driver.
eastcoastguy (09-28-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:56 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
gotta look into these
Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Those that are searching for the brightest fogs ever, do you use your fog lights for actual fog or to supplement the headlights in good weather?

I can't remember what I put in mine but they're a little brighter than stock and halogen. The fogs are supposed to throw a wider pattern and they're supposed to not blind you in fog. Anyone do research into the best type of light for foggy conditions? It seems like a lot of these bulbs would be the equivalent of using your brights in the fog.

I like the idea of LEDs, my whole house is LED now. I'm sure newer cars are using LEDs inside and out for the minuscule mpg improvements. However, they still have a lot of glare. I have a 650 lumen and a 3,600 lumen light for my mountain bike and the glare just from the 650 lumen manages to piss a lot of other bikers and cars off and the 3600 doesn't see street use. I'm sure the proper lens could do s lot but I can't imagine them being nice in the fog. If I'm wrong I would buy a set Monday.
I can't remember the last time I actually drove through fog. If I only turned on my fog lights for that reason, they would never get used. I basically have them on anytime the HIDs are on, and sometimes all by themselves if I'm using them as DRLs.

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I've read/skimmed all 9 pages but don't believe I saw anyone that was able to get the H8 fog LEDs to fit properly in an 07/08?? Seems like a few members were able to get them in the lenses, but "pointing down and to the left". I would like to try these in my fogs, but not if they don't fit correctly.

I hate cars - I use my fogs all the time regardless of the weather conditions and have done similar to you and swapped out to a whiter and slightly brighter bulb color. I agree with you about the brights in the fog but the occurrence of fog is so infrequent I prefer to augment my headlights. The other thing is in the later 3G models with the fogs mounted lower to the road there is less light reflectance back to the driver.
Where are you reading about people having fitment issues with these LEDs in the '07-'08 fogs? I found two posts from members that installed them in that location, and neither one mentioned any problems, or described them as "pointing down and to the left". (Post #115 and #122)
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 AM
under renovations....

I can't remember the last time I actually drove through fog. If I only turned on my fog lights for that reason, they would never get used. I basically have them on anytime the HIDs are on, and sometimes all by themselves if I'm using them as DRLs.

Where are you reading about people having fitment issues with these LEDs in the '07-'08 fogs? I found two posts from members that installed them in that location, and neither one mentioned any problems, or described them as "pointing down and to the left". (Post #115 and #122)
He's probably confusing the post where I said when I mounted mine they where like that but I'm using mine as drls not fogs. At some point I'll buy them for my fogs. And get rid of my hids.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Obviously this is a long thread so maybe I misunderstood some of what I read, but perhaps something like post #134 threw me??

He's probably confusing the post where I said when I mounted mine they where like that but I'm using mine as drls not fogs. At some point I'll buy them for my fogs. And get rid of my hids.
Could be...........

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to make sure these led bulbs are in fact plug and play for 07/08 fog lights.

Depending on how this plays out, I may look at replacing the halogens on the 09 Accord my kids drive. Not really interested in replacing wiring harnesses or adding ballasts.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Could someone who has installed these in the 07-08 fog light location take a picture of them close-up when they are off? I would like to see how the LEDs point and if they clear or get impeded by the metal ring in the fog light housing.

I am trying to find something comparable to the stock bulb that doesnt shoot light forward but into the reflective housing. These LED's look like they would do that but trying to find out for sure.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies regarding using these lights in fog. I think I'll pass since they occasionally, well, very rarely get used in fog but I still need them to work in fog. I was hoping someone would say they work well in the fog so I could buy a set.

If anyone else reads this that has used these lights in the fog with success (visibility at least as good as stock), I'm interested in hearing about it.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Race Director

How long did it take him to ship for you guys?

I paid on Thursday 25th, and no update yet.

Can't wait to get the LEDs, I'm driving without DRL right now lol

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 09-29-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts

I ordered on a Monday got them Wednesday. I never got a tracking number or order update.
guitarplayer16 (09-29-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to make sure these led bulbs are in fact plug and play for 07/08 fog lights.

Depending on how this plays out, I may look at replacing the halogens on the 09 Accord my kids drive. Not really interested in replacing wiring harnesses or adding ballasts.
I can assure you, they are - no extra harnesses or decoders needed.

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
Could someone who has installed these in the 07-08 fog light location take a picture of them close-up when they are off? I would like to see how the LEDs point and if they clear or get impeded by the metal ring in the fog light housing.

I am trying to find something comparable to the stock bulb that doesnt shoot light forward but into the reflective housing. These LED's look like they would do that but trying to find out for sure.
joz00 or Franchise1124 should be able to get that shot for you. Try sending them a message, as they may not check this thread frequently.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Thanks for the replies regarding using these lights in fog. I think I'll pass since they occasionally, well, very rarely get used in fog but I still need them to work in fog. I was hoping someone would say they work well in the fog so I could buy a set.

If anyone else reads this that has used these lights in the fog with success (visibility at least as good as stock), I'm interested in hearing about it.
Ironically, I drove to a big car meet on Sunday that was 2 hours away (Import Faceoff in Hebron, OH), and the group I led left at 7:30 AM. We drove through quite a bit of fog. I had my LEDs on the whole time and they were definitely assisting my vision (not hindering it)

I confirmed with the seller that your LEDs have shipped. The transit time may be slightly increased since they are traveling all the way to Canada. They'll be worth the wait!
guitarplayer16 (09-30-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I am also another victim of radio interference. I am interested to hear what GT lighting replies after seeing the video.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Race Director

Hmmm, good thing I don't listen to radio much.

I'll try it out when I get the bulbs in though, and report back.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmm, good thing I don't listen to radio much.

I'll try it out when I get the bulbs in though, and report back.
Yeah, I dont either. I installed them a month ago and just now used the radio. I would still like to know the cause for when i do use it. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

You didn't by chance install an aftermarket amp around the same time, did you?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:12 PM
under renovations....

Ok so I got around to working out my issue. I found that the driver side oem harness is load activated from the passenger side. I also had to reverse how I use the vleds harness. I don't know how jays_kbp610 got his to work with just bulbs into the harness when the bulbs need 12v to light up. I'd still like to see his voltage readings. But anyway I can get mine to work with a little reverse engineering of the harness and such. And they are brighter then before. I'll work on permanently wiring them in over the weekend and get pics.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

I think the seller may have a solution to the radio interference for those that are experiencing it. As I've stated before, I have no interference whatsoever, even with all 4 of my LEDs running, so this issue is definitely not universal. I'll share the details of the solution once I know more.

Ok so I got around to working out my issue. I found that the driver side oem harness is load activated from the passenger side. I also had to reverse how I use the vleds harness. I don't know how jays_kbp610 got his to work with just bulbs into the harness when the bulbs need 12v to light up. I'd still like to see his voltage readings. But anyway I can get mine to work with a little reverse engineering of the harness and such. And they are brighter then before. I'll work on permanently wiring them in over the weekend and get pics.
The LEDs DO NOT require 6v to power on. In addition to jays_kbp610, multiple Civic owners have put these in their DRL bulb locations (which receive 6v) and they work perfectly fine. I'm glad you got yours working though. Post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you do can you post photo's at night as well?

Also which relay harness did you install them with?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM
under renovations....

The LEDs DO NOT require 6v to power on. In addition to jays_kbp610, multiple Civic owners have put these in their DRL bulb locations (which receive 6v) and they work perfectly fine. I'm glad you got yours working though. Post some pics when you get a chance!
They need 12v to turn on. Halogen bulbs don't require the full 12v but LEDs do. I would still like to see jays_kbp610's set up and voltage readings. 8th gen civics go from 2006-2011 so it is possible that Honda switched up their wiring system. I couldn't plug in my LEDs direct when I got them years ago when vleds and ijdmtoy came out with their harness. I bought my TL-S new so no one cut into anything to create a problem. Back then the only harness working good was the ijdmtoy version vleds was still working out the kinks with theirs. I was one of the first few people to get them and went back and forth with them on why it wasn't working and they couldn't figure it out then.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Banned

They need 12v to turn on. Halogen bulbs don't require the full 12v but LEDs do. I would still like to see jays_kbp610's set up and voltage readings. 8th gen civics go from 2006-2011 so it is possible that Honda switched up their wiring system.
Ha, wow! You are not an easy one to convince, are you? Even with jays_kbp610 CLEARLY stating in post 319 that his LED DRLs (6v) turn on with no harness, and me (the creator of this thread) telling you that I know multiple 8th and 9th Gen civic owners who I recommended these lights to, and that are now running them for their 6v DRLs with no harness, you STILL insist that they need 12v to turn on. I guess we can agree to disagree, but you are definitely the minority on this one, buddy.

As long as you're happy with them, that's all that matters!
Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 AM
under renovations....

Ha, wow! You are not an easy one to convince, are you? Even with jays_kbp610 CLEARLY stating in post 319 that his LED DRLs (6v) turn on with no harness, and me (the creator of this thread) telling you that I know multiple 8th and 9th Gen civic owners who I recommended these lights to, and that are now running them for their 6v DRLs with no harness, you STILL insist that they need 12v to turn on. I guess we can agree to disagree, but you are definitely the minority on this one, buddy.

As long as you're happy with them, that's all that matters!
Not trying to argue back and forth. But yeah I'm still not convinced they got theirs working without a harness.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I just ordered a pair of the ones Frosty posted about, thanks for the discount code once again! I drive a 2007 TL, with navi, and plan to use these LEDS for my DRL's, (So sick of the yellow/stock ones), so once I get them, I will post back here and let you guys know if they work and fit. I will definitely have to look up a DIY to figure out how to exchange the bulbs, but I think it should be relatively easy. You just remove your old bulb and twist and plug these ones in right?:P
Old 10-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyGuti
I just ordered a pair of the ones Frosty posted about, thanks for the discount code once again! I drive a 2007 TL, with navi, and plan to use these LEDS for my DRL's, (So sick of the yellow/stock ones), so once I get them, I will post back here and let you guys know if they work and fit. I will definitely have to look up a DIY to figure out how to exchange the bulbs, but I think it should be relatively easy. You just remove your old bulb and twist and plug these ones in right?:P
No problem!

I've never changed the DRL bulbs on a 2007 TL, but I would assume the procedure is just like you said - very simple. The LEDs will come with 2 small cables that pair the factory wiring with the sockets on the back of the new lights. This gives you some extra cable length too, so it's easier to maneuver the lights around while installing them.

Post some pictures here once you get them installed!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Do these ones come with a driver? I ordered a set from diode dynamics for the fogs on my 2012 accord, they're 2x XML LEDs on each, H11 type bulb and they came with a driver housed inside the base of the heat-sink for each of the LEDs.

Just curious if the other manufacturer is direct-driving them or if there is some type of DC regulator in them.

I also just ordered a set of 9005 MT-G2's from VLEDs that also come with a driver and I ordered separately 2 of their 10,000 microfarad caps that go into the harness to reduce low-voltage flicker on the DRLs.

If anyone else is getting flicker these might help:

9005 9006 IN-LINE 10,000uF CAPACITORS | 1 PAIR

$25 on VLEDs they also have a package for their high-power LEDs + the caps for like $225.

I picked the MT-G2's because I took a look at CREE's binning spec-sheet and they're rated for the luminous flux at the current (2.5A @ 12V) that VLED is rating them at at 85 degrees centigrade. VLED is rating them at 3000 lumen, likely from CREE's binning spec-sheet and whatever current they're driving each LED at.

The XML's are rated at 25 degrees centigrade, both are CREE high-power LEDs, but the MT-G2's are spec'd to operate at a higher temperature, which is important in this application for LEDs.

As temp goes up, light output goes down inside of an LED.

It's about time these guys started putting out bulbs with high-power LEDs, I always thought all the little ones were a joke, with cheap LEDs, now they're finally getting into the high-power LEDs that have been around for several years now. I've been using these in my dive lights for a few years now.

Here's some good info on LED lumen output that diode dynamics had on their site:

LED Brightness - LED - Research

I don't think they mentioned it in the article, but the way the LED is mounted onto the board is important too, the thermal junction that is created can be less-than-ideal if done poorly, leaving a diode that may heat up too much.

I had been wondering for a while when manufacturers would start putting these out, with drivers attached, to the automotive aftermarket. I've been playing with these high-power LEDs for years now.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Race Director

Does that capacitor fix the flickering DRL while starting up the car?

Sometimes I forget that my handbrake is down such as when I'm waiting for someone in my car, and I didn't put the ebrake up, and then I start up my car again.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Does that capacitor fix the flickering DRL while starting up the car?

Sometimes I forget that my handbrake is down such as when I'm waiting for someone in my car, and I didn't put the ebrake up, and then I start up my car again.
I'm pretty sure it's normal for it to flicker while your starting the car. The starter is drawing a lot of current trying to start the car. That's why a lot of lights in the interior dim or turn off while you are cranking the car.

Does it continue to flicker after the car is started or only during the cranking process?

Quick Reply: Best LED's on the Market! Who Needs HID's?!