3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever tow anything with their TL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever tow anything with their TL?

Hey guys I don't exactly have a TL yet but im thinking about getting one but the thing is i have a sportbike that I need to tow around because i go to the tracks and stuff but is the TL capable of towing a sportbike? if so anybody have experience with it? you guys got any pics of you guys and towing anything?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Towing is actually not recommended in the manual, but there have been threads of people installing bike racks and trailer hitches. Perform a search for bike rack* or trailer to find those threads.

Other than racks/hitches that connect to the trunk/rear. You might be interested in a roof rack. There are threads on those as well. I believe Thule is one of the manufacturers that makes them.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
nope, that's what my truck is for
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I think the OP is referring to a Motorcycle.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
nope, that's what my truck is for
Ditto!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by kraze00young
Hey guys I don't exactly have a TL yet but im thinking about getting one but the thing is i have a sportbike that I need to tow around because i go to the tracks and stuff but is the TL capable of towing a sportbike? if so anybody have experience with it? you guys got any pics of you guys and towing anything?
Motorcyle like that will be well under 1000lbs including trailer and associated gear. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

I wondered the same thing last year when I was buying my 06 TL (for my ATV and trailer)and asked the salesman and service manager - their replies were the same, that "TL was not designed for towing and I might invalidate my warranty for the powertrain if I towed anything". Needless to say, I never installed a hitch on my baby!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i seen a 04-06 TL yesterday at a gas station pulling a Waverunner!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
With the tranny problems they have had in the past, I wouldn't do it. The previous generation MDX had trans, oil and power steering coolers installed with the tow package. If you had an aftermarket hitch installed (without the cooling equipment) and then had a transmission problem, you had a warranty problem.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ahmad310
i seen a 04-06 TL yesterday at a gas station pulling a Waverunner!
Ive seen the same, it looked kinda goofy!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny.. the Accord is rated @ 1500lbs I think
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

In lieu of a sportsbike, it is safe to toll a scooter or skate board though.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
theres only one thing my car hauls.... ASS lol

j/k. nah i wouldnt do it. not even a dinky lil u-hual trailer. the car shouldnt be towing anything
Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. I probably wouldn't tow anything with my TL, but you shouldn't run into any problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
6th Gear

I have installed a hitch on my '06 TL this past spring to be able to tow my jetski. The installation was time consuming, but in the end it looks pretty good. Wiring the hitch is a pain since they don't offer a "plug-n-play" kit for the TL. In order to wire the TL you have to run a wire up to the batter to draw its power as well as sotter into each wire in the brake light cluster and wiring kit.

Only the receiver is showing under the bumper. My TL tows my jetski (approx 1400 lbs) with no problem, and it was last week I actually saw a TSX towing a similar jetski. This reassured my confidence that my TL would not have any problems towing my jetski.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bonbTLman
I have installed a hitch on my '06 TL this past spring to be able to tow my jetski. The installation was time consuming, but in the end it looks pretty good. Wiring the hitch is a pain since they don't offer a "plug-n-play" kit for the TL. In order to wire the TL you have to run a wire up to the batter to draw its power as well as sotter into each wire in the brake light cluster and wiring kit.

Only the receiver is showing under the bumper. My TL tows my jetski (approx 1400 lbs) with no problem, and it was last week I actually saw a TSX towing a similar jetski. This reassured my confidence that my TL would not have any problems towing my jetski.
Do you still have a warranty?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As long as the dealer doesn't find out, I assume so.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ive got a 2nd gen and pull alot with it. Ive pulled my Malibu ski boat(twice when i had no other choice- about 3k lbs with tailer), my 4 wheeler(2 k with trailer and plow on) and my jetski (1kish with trailer??). the 3rd gen will pull a motorcycle just fine
Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

What does it need to draw power from the battery for?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Although it has been a while since I've installed wiring harnesses for hitches, I don't think you need to run a wire to the battery. Usually you only need that if you have a brake controller, but the trailers equipped with brakes are way too big for the TL. Did you use a universal harness?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

If you dont think the TL should tow anything, the other day at work we had an S2000 in the shop with a trailer hitch on it. I thought it was kind of funny, and we were wondering what he tows with it. So i am sure the tl can tow small things, not sure if you will have a powertrain warranty though...
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you please post a picture of this? I'd like to see what your TL looks like with a hitch, also with a pic of your jetskit on would be cool to see too.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
If you dont think the TL should tow anything, the other day at work we had an S2000 in the shop with a trailer hitch on it. I thought it was kind of funny, and we were wondering what he tows with it. So i am sure the tl can tow small things, not sure if you will have a powertrain warranty though...

More than likely it tows a support trailer for track days. Tires, tools, etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Evader
Could you please post a picture of this? I'd like to see what your TL looks like with a hitch, also with a pic of your jetskit on would be cool to see too.

Thanks!

Thought I'd bump an old thread, been towing my boat with no problem. I think its less than 1000lbs, tows great. I am sure it is putting a bit of wear and tear on it, but hey, i get to go boating.

IMG_0015.jpg?t=1254841488
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 432 Likes on 244 Posts
I don't understand why a car with 250+ hp (base and tls) can't tow a small bike or jetski. I mean people in Europe manage to move stuff without requiring a super heavy duty truck. To me the 'need a truck' is an overkill response. Before my tl
I had a 95 maxima which my parents gave me. They bought it new and he used to tow a small boat with it. We put about 220k miles on that car before we gave it to a friend and it still drives.
The only reason I'm not putting a hitch on my car is for esthetics.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^ well for starters, HP doesn't equate to pulling power, that would be torque...

But IMO, i'd think u would be ok to haul some smaller things (little hard shell cargo trailer, a smaller bike, as we've seen - a small boat, etc.)

I mean whats the difference in hauling a small trailer or having three fat asses in the car with you... other than the sweat
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ true true ... if u think of it that way towing small items should be fine in the tl
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't suggest it if you lower the car or even stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
^ well for starters, HP doesn't equate to pulling power, that would be torque...

But IMO, i'd think u would be ok to haul some smaller things (little hard shell cargo trailer, a smaller bike, as we've seen - a small boat, etc.)

I mean whats the difference in hauling a small trailer or having three fat asses in the car with you... other than the sweat
Okay, I agree about the torque for towing comment, but really the only way to get 250hp and have very little torque is to have a redline of 20k rpm, which the TL doesn't.

My point was mostly to show that the TL has a pretty good powerplant, and should have a transmission to match it. Granted towing something can't be compared to a WOT load, because the tension and heat buildup is constant in towing, but at WOT it's more of a burst, so it doesn't need as much heat dissipation capability. But everything mentioned for towing is, in my opinion, within reason. It's not like you'd need to be WOT on a flat surface to keep a constant velocity of 40mph, because that would be a bit tuff on the tranny

I mean, back when I was a kid in Romania, I can't tell you how much sh!t they hauled with a good ole Dacia 1310

see my point... and no that's not my dacia.

and those things had about 55 to 60 hp, and torque wasn't way up there either, also didn't have 14 transmission coolers.... but it also didn't come with a warranty
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
To me the 'need a truck' is an overkill response.
Shoot I find something every day that I can use my truck for better than I could use my car. When I bought my TV it wouldn't fit in my car, had to go home and get my truck. Everytime my wife goes to Sams Club or Costco, I need my truck. The yard work I have to do this weekend, will require a truck...

My point is the TL was not meant to tow anything so why would you want to do something that it was not meant for. You are ultimately asking for trouble...
Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Okay, I agree about the torque for towing comment, but really the only way to get 250hp and have very little torque is to have a redline of 20k rpm, which the TL doesn't.

My point was mostly to show that the TL has a pretty good powerplant, and should have a transmission to match it. Granted towing something can't be compared to a WOT load, because the tension and heat buildup is constant in towing, but at WOT it's more of a burst, so it doesn't need as much heat dissipation capability. But everything mentioned for towing is, in my opinion, within reason. It's not like you'd need to be WOT on a flat surface to keep a constant velocity of 40mph, because that would be a bit tuff on the tranny

I mean, back when I was a kid in Romania, I can't tell you how much sh!t they hauled with a good ole Dacia 1310

see my point... and no that's not my dacia.

and those things had about 55 to 60 hp, and torque wasn't way up there either, also didn't have 14 transmission coolers.... but it also didn't come with a warranty
absolutely! what i'm saying is don't expect to pull a 16ft, 8,000lb capacity trailer, with a tandem axle. however! even small things can have dire consequences for the overall longevity of a car. Just be careful and everything should be AOK!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Toddy
Shoot I find something every day that I can use my truck for better than I could use my car. When I bought my TV it wouldn't fit in my car, had to go home and get my truck. Everytime my wife goes to Sams Club or Costco, I need my truck. The yard work I have to do this weekend, will require a truck...

My point is the TL was not meant to tow anything so why would you want to do something that it was not meant for. You are ultimately asking for trouble...
Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see how a truck is usefull, but I personally find myself 'needing' one less than 5x a year, and if I do, I rent the home depot one. I don't buy TVs multiple times a year, nor do I do grocery runs to fill out 3 refrigerators in 1 shot. But that's just me, so perhaps I'm projecting my routine habbits onto others. I just noticed that a lot of people tend to overkill towing cappacity, I always find it amusing here at the beaches and boat launches when i see a heavy duty ford towing a trailer for a single jetski. [I don't assume he bought it to tow just that with it, but it looks a bit ridiculous]. Like the lawn guy for my neighbor, F-350 turbo diesel, what does he tow, a single ride on lawn mower, a push mower and edger on an open tiny flat trailer.

Plus I think if you're really worried about towing with the TL, can't you buy a small inline cooler for the tranny? I think the TL has a simple oil cooler, but no tranny cooler. And I really don't think the axles will warp due to the load, not unless you seriously overkill the towing cappacity.

anyways, happy truckin
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

if i was going to go on a long trip in my TL and got a small hitch mount attached, i would get something like this for the trip!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66771
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see how a truck is usefull, but I personally find myself 'needing' one less than 5x a year, and if I do, I rent the home depot one. I don't buy TVs multiple times a year, nor do I do grocery runs to fill out 3 refrigerators in 1 shot. But that's just me, so perhaps I'm projecting my routine habbits onto others. I just noticed that a lot of people tend to overkill towing cappacity, I always find it amusing here at the beaches and boat launches when i see a heavy duty ford towing a trailer for a single jetski. [I don't assume he bought it to tow just that with it, but it looks a bit ridiculous]. Like the lawn guy for my neighbor, F-350 turbo diesel, what does he tow, a single ride on lawn mower, a push mower and edger on an open tiny flat trailer.

Plus I think if you're really worried about towing with the TL, can't you buy a small inline cooler for the tranny? I think the TL has a simple oil cooler, but no tranny cooler. And I really don't think the axles will warp due to the load, not unless you seriously overkill the towing cappacity.

anyways, happy truckin
I see what you are saying. I guess Im a little biased from growing up in the country. I've never pulled less than 7500 pounds behind my F250 and the most I've pulled was 22,500 weighed in on a set of big rig scales. yikes....
Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

Name:  SUTLSeadoos.jpg
Views: 6980
Size:  98.2 KBName:  tlhitch.jpg
Views: 6774
Size:  84.5 KB

I tow with my 04 SUTL all the time. They are about 1200lbs with trailer with a 50lb or so tounge weight. I added a tranny cooler and upgraded the brakes. She pulls like they aren't even there and its easy as cake putting them in the water and pulling them out. Never once spun a tire. I can go about 65 or 70 on the freeway no problems and get about 12mpg sometimes more. I go from Miami to Key West all the time with them. It has a hitch from uhaul with 4 mounting bolts with backing plates and one that goes through the tie down hook in the back. Super solid, just make sure to use locktite and torque it to 80lbs. 90 bucks for the hitch and 20 for the wiring kit off of etrailer.com. It plugs right into the factory harness and can be removed anytime in 2 minutes. You can't see the wiring because at the time it wasn't installed but it just installs in the trunk behind the liner and i just hang it out when i use it. So the answer is yes you can tow and it handles it awesome! Just watch out for bumper dings when backing up haha.. i'm sure you guys see that in the pic. I was so excited the first day i backed up to far
The following users liked this post:
Chad05TL (01-21-2017)
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

It's not a question of hp or torque.

The TL doesn't have a frame that is defined by past automobiles.

One of the few probs of being FWD (IMO) is the lack of traction at the front wheels if you are trying to pull much weight out of the water on a wet dock
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Toddy
I see what you are saying. I guess Im a little biased from growing up in the country. I've never pulled less than 7500 pounds behind my F250 and the most I've pulled was 22,500 weighed in on a set of big rig scales. yikes....
Holy moly, that's some heavy loads there man I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to use the TL for such loads, however, I am sure the Dacia above could do it no problem...

Originally Posted by SUTL

I tow with my 04 SUTL all the time. They are about 1200lbs with trailer with a 50lb or so tounge weight. I added a tranny cooler and upgraded the brakes. She pulls like they aren't even there and its easy as cake putting them in the water and pulling them out. Never once spun a tire. I can go about 65 or 70 on the freeway no problems and get about 12mpg sometimes more. I go from Miami to Key West all the time with them. It has a hitch from uhaul with 4 mounting bolts with backing plates and one that goes through the tie down hook in the back. Super solid, just make sure to use locktite and torque it to 80lbs. 90 bucks for the hitch and 20 for the wiring kit off of etrailer.com. It plugs right into the factory harness and can be removed anytime in 2 minutes. You can't see the wiring because at the time it wasn't installed but it just installs in the trunk behind the liner and i just hang it out when i use it. So the answer is yes you can tow and it handles it awesome! Just watch out for bumper dings when backing up haha.. i'm sure you guys see that in the pic. I was so excited the first day i backed up to far
12mpg? that's much worse than I expected. My towing experience was with my dad's boat 21ft Bayliner boat, and my cousin's Acura Integra race car on a twin axel open trailer. Those were with me 1994 5.2L V8 Grand Cherokee, and my fuel economy was usually 9mpg while towing 65-70mph.However, when I had to keepup with other guys in convoys going to racetracks and they were flying at 90mph... then economy dipped between 6-7mpg.

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
It's not a question of hp or torque.

The TL doesn't have a frame that is defined by past automobiles.

One of the few probs of being FWD (IMO) is the lack of traction at the front wheels if you are trying to pull much weight out of the water on a wet dock
I agree with the lack of traction, but it's still better than a pickuptruck that's rwd and no locking rear differential. The FWD car has the traction wheels further from water so the pavement isn't super soaked.
When we were going fishing at Carter's lake (north GA) several times guys would pull their boats with rwd trucks, and 1 wheels would just start spinning, so a few of us would jump in the back to put more weight on it so he can get the boat out. I did see some cars dropping off jetskies at lakes, but i don't remember them ever needing help pulling the jetski out. But those don't weigh very much anyways.
As far as the TL being soft, I don't think the frame is soft, it's quite rigid for safety and performance, I think the issue is that the area around the attachement points of the hitch receiver are soft. If you got a big carried away and got a lot of metal under there and welded it to the structural cage of the car, I think it would be super solid. Then your weakest point would probably become transmission or axels.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Just because you "can", doesn't mean you "should"?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I do have a hitch receiver on mine, albeit for my bike rack only. But, I wouldn't go too much further than that.

Name:  DSC_0004-2.jpg
Views: 5225
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0005-1.jpg
Views: 6052
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0002-1.jpg
Views: 7604
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0001-3.jpg
Views: 5344
Size:  149.7 KB
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" can just as easily be applied to autocrossing or anything else fun in a car. Just like racing will reduce the service life of parts of your car so will towing. Keep the weights reasonable and you shouldn't have any problems. My Maxima has 212,000 miles on it with the original engine, trans, and clutch and I've towed for thousands of miles with 2k pounds on the trailer with no problems. If you're buying a trailer I would suggest spending the extra money for an all aluminum one. Less trailer weight means wear on the car and or able to haul more stuff for the same overall weight.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever tow anything with their TL?