Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on selling my car TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Advice on selling my car TL-S

As the title says, I need a little bit of advice on selling my car. First off, the car is an 07 Type S in Kinetic Blue Pearl. I have taken great care of the car. In the past year or so I have put on 4 new tires, battery, alternator, oil pan gasket, front and rear pads and rotors, and the transmission range sensor. The car has 128,00 miles, and I had to timing belt replaced at 98k. I currently have an oil leak with what I am assuming is the oil pump seal. Should I sell it with the leak, or should I spend about $1300 and have the oil pump seal replaced, crank seal, new timing belt, and anything else that should be included. I know it would make the car sell better, but is that $1300 justifiable? I don't want to do it if I can only get $500 more than I would have if I just sold it with the leak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 AM
OsK
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts
Be honest if you sell it without fixing it.

Oh and don't sell high because you performed maintenance on it

Just look at market value.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
How bad is the leak? If it's a small seep then it shouldn't be a big deal and can be done at the next major service interval vs changing the timing belt and such only after 30k miles.

Here are the black book values:

I'd honestly have a mechanic check out the source of the leak. If acura replaced the oil pan seal, I'd be willing to bet it's that one or that they didn't fix the leak the first time. Other than that, the only other source of a leak would be the rear main seal.
The following users liked this post:
TheEntrepreneur (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
^^^That's crazy...it doesn't take rare color into account, and DEDUCTS $650 for the heavily sought after 6MT!

I agree though, just divulge what the car needs done, what's been done, and price it fairly and accordingly!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur
As the title says, I need a little bit of advice on selling my car. First off, the car is an 07 Type S in Kinetic Blue Pearl. I have taken great care of the car. In the past year or so I have put on 4 new tires, battery, alternator, oil pan gasket, front and rear pads and rotors, and the transmission range sensor. The car has 128,00 miles, and I had to timing belt replaced at 98k. I currently have an oil leak with what I am assuming is the oil pump seal. Should I sell it with the leak, or should I spend about $1300 and have the oil pump seal replaced, crank seal, new timing belt, and anything else that should be included. I know it would make the car sell better, but is that $1300 justifiable? I don't want to do it if I can only get $500 more than I would have if I just sold it with the leak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You have options.

1. You can be a prick and not mention the leak and just sell it. I believe in karma so i wouldn't if i were you.

2. You can just sell it as is and be honest about it but just know that this will turn off A LOT of potential buyers. They will be scrolling through, see your ad, see the leak and keep scrolling without a second thought unless you seriously reduce your price.

3. Fix it and sell it confidently.

It's not what you wanna hear but id go with 3 tbh. Yeah it sucks but you'll get more serious buyers not people tryna low ball your car like crazy for an oil leak.. they'll come at you with some insanely low offers cus of that one leak and claim "yeah well i dont kno how much the leak could cost me or i dont know whats really broken, could have to replace a lot" blah blah.. it will piss you off man.

Id just fix it if i were you. Honestly id go with option 1 before i choose 2 cus these people will really low ball you because of that leak and you wont have much of an argument to retaliate with.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SayItAintTom
You have options.

1. You can be a prick and not mention the leak and just sell it. I believe in karma so i wouldn't if i were you.

2. You can just sell it as is and be honest about it but just know that this will turn off A LOT of potential buyers. They will be scrolling through, see your ad, see the leak and keep scrolling without a second thought unless you seriously reduce your price.

3. Fix it and sell it confidently.

It's not what you wanna hear but id go with 3 tbh. Yeah it sucks but you'll get more serious buyers not people tryna low ball your car like crazy for an oil leak.. they'll come at you with some insanely low offers cus of that one leak and claim "yeah well i dont kno how much the leak could cost me or i dont know whats really broken, could have to replace a lot" blah blah.. it will piss you off man.

Id just fix it if i were you. Honestly id go with option 1 before i choose 2 cus these people will really low ball you because of that leak and you wont have much of an argument to retaliate with.
I was leaning the same way. I'm trying to go back to the day I was looking for a TL. I wanted it to be perfect. I want whoever buys the car to love it just like I do. It may cost me a little bit of money, but I am really trying to get as much as I can for this car. Also, I'm contemplating selling it on eBay just so I can open it up to a lot more buyers. I don't want them to get the car and find the oil leak, which they would potentially open a case. I don't really want a hold by PayPal on roughly $10k of mine. Any ideas what it should sell for? I've seen several for sale on eBay, but I haven't found any of the KBP's. I would think that should add a little bit a value to it.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Fix it, it's the right thing to do, and I'll buy it fixed or not...$34.50?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur
I was leaning the same way. I'm trying to go back to the day I was looking for a TL. I wanted it to be perfect. I want whoever buys the car to love it just like I do. It may cost me a little bit of money, but I am really trying to get as much as I can for this car. Also, I'm contemplating selling it on eBay just so I can open it up to a lot more buyers. I don't want them to get the car and find the oil leak, which they would potentially open a case. I don't really want a hold by PayPal on roughly $10k of mine. Any ideas what it should sell for? I've seen several for sale on eBay, but I haven't found any of the KBP's. I would think that should add a little bit a value to it.
I would list it for $12k - 12.5k given all your maintenance and this fix and worse case if you dont sell it you know its solid and all necessary items have been addressed and you can drive it confidently.

Your ad will need to be crisp with all the details and records and no fluffery, just state the facts. Given the fact you have a few things going for you KBP, manual, and good maintenance I think you should get a good level of interest. Make sure pics are clear and enough to adequately show the condition. Personally I think ebay might get a lot of low ballers and tire kickers but Ill let others respond. I think it dilutes the value and I view it as a desperate move of sellers, just my thought. I would use conventional sources like autotrader, cars.com, and sites like this devoted to enthusiasts I would exhaust those avenues first. I would caution NOT to list on craigslist for now for same reasons as I view ebay, again MY opinion.

GLWS
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
I would list it for $12k - 12.5k given all your maintenance and this fix and worse case if you dont sell it you know its solid and all necessary items have been addressed and you can drive it confidently.

Your ad will need to be crisp with all the details and records and no fluffery, just state the facts. Given the fact you have a few things going for you KBP, manual, and good maintenance I think you should get a good level of interest. Make sure pics are clear and enough to adequately show the condition. Personally I think ebay might get a lot of low ballers and tire kickers but Ill let others respond. I think it dilutes the value and I view it as a desperate move of sellers, just my thought. I would use conventional sources like autotrader, cars.com, and sites like this devoted to enthusiasts I would exhaust those avenues first. I would caution NOT to list on craigslist for now for same reasons as I view ebay, again MY opinion.

GLWS
I agree about Ebay...usually high mileage vehicles that wholesalers/dealers/individuals are having a hard time selling. Though I will say that I've purchased 2 excellent vehicles off Ebay with excellent results. Selling on Ebay opens up a huge market, but If I were you I'd list it on the black market here too.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA

GLWS
One thing I need to clarify is that is an auto, not a manual! Sorry about the confusion.