Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed Before Modding

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed Before Modding

Hey guys! I have 07 Acura TL base navi automatic. I'm fixing to do a lot of modifying the interior and exterior. I have everything for the interior now its the exterior. I need some advice on these. 1st.) I'm putting 19in STR 607 matte black stagger rims on mine and wanting to install coil over to lower it. Do I need to install coil over if I'm putting the 19in on? 2nd.) I'm install the EXH-UA7-R XLR8 exhaust system. Do I need to change out the header or anything? Btw I do have the type s front and rear bumper so I don't have to do any mod on the stock bumpers and I'm planning on putting Aspec kit on my TL too.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
DO YOU NEED COILOVERS? no.
Do you want coilovers? yes.
get coilovers when budget allows, like any other modding...

Do you need to change out the "headers" ? NO!
Do you want to change out the headers?? yes!
get RV6 PCD's when budget allows, like any other modding.....
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
^^^^LMFAO at the list...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
DO YOU NEED COILOVERS? no.
Do you want coilovers? yes.
get coilovers when budget allows, like any other modding...

Do you need to change out the "headers" ? NO!
Do you want to change out the headers?? yes!
get RV6 PCD's when budget allows, like any other modding.....
What kind of coilovers should I get? This is my daily driving car.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
for coilovers, buy the tein street advance and reuse your top mounts on your oem shocks/springs. or buy new top mounts preassembled on the coilovers through heeltoe.

wheel size doesn't matter for putting in coilovers, you could have 25" wheels if you wanted.

if you buy the xlr8 exhaust, it is true plug and play if you have the type s rear bumper so you don't need to modify any other part of the exhaust or bumper.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
After installing just Eibach pro coils, TEIN SS & SA, on my 2007 Acura TL TYPE-S. I put the original Type-S Coilovers back on. Now they are worn out. Coilovers are Awesome. I don't suggest just coils- I have done this and it was a mistake. I don't want my car too low. I want a Firm/smooth ride. Now My car rides like a rock...
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
^^ Are you talking about springs? just coils? replacing only springs especially lowering springs doesnt typically last for long before shock blows
Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Pride96
What kind of coilovers should I get? This is my daily driving car.
There's a set in the black market. Koni Yellows with S tech springs. Buy them

Buy them yesterday
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
for coilovers, buy the tein street advance and reuse your top mounts on your oem shocks/springs. or buy new top mounts preassembled on the coilovers through heeltoe.

wheel size doesn't matter for putting in coilovers, you could have 25" wheels if you wanted.

if you buy the xlr8 exhaust, it is true plug and play if you have the type s rear bumper so you don't need to modify any other part of the exhaust or bumper.
I want to replace the whole entire coilovers. Doesn't the tein coilover ride rough? and sorry but I'm still a little new to the exhaust stuff so what do you mean true plug?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
After installing just Eibach pro coils, TEIN SS & SA, on my 2007 Acura TL TYPE-S. I put the original Type-S Coilovers back on. Now they are worn out. Coilovers are Awesome. I don't suggest just coils- I have done this and it was a mistake. I don't want my car too low. I want a Firm/smooth ride. Now My car rides like a rock...
Yeah i don't want it to feel like a rock when i drive. I want something that will give me a smooth ride.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pohljm
^^ Are you talking about springs? just coils? replacing only springs especially lowering springs doesnt typically last for long before shock blows
Not spring, I want to replace the whole entire stock coilovers.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
There's a set in the black market. Koni Yellows with S tech springs. Buy them

Buy them yesterday
Alright Ill go check it out. Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
bc racing coilovers
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedyDino8
bc racing coilovers
Is the riding quality smooth?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

I want to replace the whole entire coilovers. Doesn't the tein coilover ride rough? and sorry but I'm still a little new to the exhaust stuff so what do you mean true plug?
tein is one of the best for the TL, it's smooth. it's not stock but it's pretty close.

plug and play means you don't have to do anything else to make it to fit or get it to work. you take off a few bolts, remove the existing exhaust, put in the new exhaust, and put back bolts.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I just installed my Tein SAZ's two weeks ago. I really like the way they ride. You can adjust the dampening on them, so you can choose the stiffness of the ride that you desire. I have them set 6 clicks from stiffest and they feel good. Good bit stiffer than stock which makes the car handle much better, especially around corners. I really like them so far.

I picked them up for $780 or so shipped from HeelToe Auto, preassembled.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 PM
JBP
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Tein SS coilovers on mine for years and was very happy with them.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Advanced

tein is one of the best for the TL, it's smooth. it's not stock but it's pretty close.

plug and play means you don't have to do anything else to make it to fit or get it to work. you take off a few bolts, remove the existing exhaust, put in the new exhaust, and put back bolts.
Okay I'll go check that out. And ohh okay thanks for the explanation man
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoTLoud
I just installed my Tein SAZ's two weeks ago. I really like the way they ride. You can adjust the dampening on them, so you can choose the stiffness of the ride that you desire. I have them set 6 clicks from stiffest and they feel good. Good bit stiffer than stock which makes the car handle much better, especially around corners. I really like them so far.

I picked them up for $780 or so shipped from HeelToe Auto, preassembled.
Okay I'm actually looking at that right now. I'm not trying to to slammed mine or lower it much. Maybe lower it just a tiny bit but definitely want my ride to be smooth and not break when it hit the bump.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBP
I had Tein SS coilovers on mine for years and was very happy with them.
I heard Tein are good and so is megan. I was looking through some of Megan earlier today. Heard that the ride quality is pretty smooth.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
When I 1st got the TL (10 years ago) the best coil overs on the market were Tein Super Streets. The ride quality was amazing. They lasted 7 years before I replaced them. I'm currently on Tein Street Advance, which are in theory an upgraded version of Super Streets. The ride quality isn't AS comfortable as the super streets, but that can also be that setup was worn and felt better with age. The Street Advance is set to maximum stiffness and the ride is still great. My wife's Optima had ARK lowering springs on stock struts, the ride was down right shit. I purchased D2 Racing RS Series coil covers. They ride much better than Lowering springs on stock struts. IMO, Tein is still for me better. There isn't a lot of coil over support for my wifes car, if tein made coils for her car, I would have purchased them. I'm highly against lowering springs on stock struts. I did it once on my TL, I had Comptech lowering springs on the stock suspension, rode decent but hated the uneven suspension level. My Wife's Optima was a bit better on the suspension level with lowering springs, but the ride was garbage. I tossed that setup out the window shortly after. Get coils, good quality ones and call it a day. I will add, I had my wife's car stupid low, I raised it and the ride quality improved (Night and Day difference). I'm not too low on the TL, higher than my wife's car and feel the quality is still great. If I adjust the damping to softer, it might ride a bit better.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
When I 1st got the TL (10 years ago) the best coil overs on the market were Tein Super Streets. The ride quality was amazing. They lasted 7 years before I replaced them. I'm currently on Tein Street Advance, which are in theory an upgraded version of Super Streets. The ride quality isn't AS comfortable as the super streets, but that can also be that setup was worn and felt better with age. The Street Advance is set to maximum stiffness and the ride is still great. My wife's Optima had ARK lowering springs on stock struts, the ride was down right shit. I purchased D2 Racing RS Series coil covers. They ride much better than Lowering springs on stock struts. IMO, Tein is still for me better. There isn't a lot of coil over support for my wifes car, if tein made coils for her car, I would have purchased them. I'm highly against lowering springs on stock struts. I did it once on my TL, I had Comptech lowering springs on the stock suspension, rode decent but hated the uneven suspension level. My Wife's Optima was a bit better on the suspension level with lowering springs, but the ride was garbage. I tossed that setup out the window shortly after. Get coils, good quality ones and call it a day. I will add, I had my wife's car stupid low, I raised it and the ride quality improved (Night and Day difference). I'm not too low on the TL, higher than my wife's car and feel the quality is still great. If I adjust the damping to softer, it might ride a bit better.
Damn that sucks! I wasn't planning on getting the lower spring anyway. Right now my TL is stock on how it is lower and like I said I'm not trying to lower my too much or slamming it. Where I live have way too many damn pot holes so I don't wanna messed it up. But from all what everyone said so far I think I am going to get Teins. I was actually thinking about the SAZ or maybe the Street Flex. Any though on the Street Flex one?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

You do not need street flex. If you're confused now you'll be even more confused. Get the street advance z
Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Advanced

You do not need street flex. If you're confused now you'll be even more confused. Get the street advance z
Oh okay. I wasn't planning on getting it just wanted to know what everyone opinion on it. I'm definitely planning on getting the SAZ for sure.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I'll agree with almost everyone that the Tein SA or SAZ is probably your best *overall* bet. They really shine when they're set to only very slightly lower the car...so they sound perfect for you.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Oh okay. I wasn't planning on getting it just wanted to know what everyone opinion on it. I'm definitely planning on getting the SAZ for sure.
I've had them on for 3 weeks now. After some minor adjustments to height, they ride really nice. Highway driving is where you really notice the improvements. Car just feels butter smooth. I can't speak for them at speeds passed 70+ MPH right now because at least one of my axles is bad, so I am getting mad shaking through the steering wheel, especially at 75+ MPH. It sucks.

Cornering improved immensely over stock. However, the difference may feel less for you since my struts were bad. Cornering at speeds was sketchy with the stock struts blown. Car feels very planted now, so I now take those corners much quicker now.