3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
The fact is, Edmonton is Canada's version of Cleveland with even worse weather. And at least Cleveland has more than one pro-sports team and their university is among the best.

I'm not hating on Edmonton to take some perceived shot at you, Taco. Just the facts. I've seen my share of great cities and Edmonton takes the cake as one of the worst. Can it get better? I would certainly hope so.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Still do not believe in having tax dollars going to fund some arena. Not someone else's opinion; it's mine.

As for the revival you're talking about, well, great. Let's just hope that the oil "crisis" recovers enough so that by the time this revival is complete in 5-10 years, Edmonton can take advantage of it instead of going oh-snap and looking at a pile of empty "shiny" buildings.
It's funny, because we have a 9% budget shortfall due to oil. There's ways to make that back up like a provincial tax. Provincial gov is just fucked up here, is all. albertans will keep voting the same dummies in, because they're afraid of change. Sad but true. They make it sound like the world is crumbling, lol.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 AM
Team Owner

The fact is, Edmonton is Canada's version of Cleveland with even worse weather. And at least Cleveland has more than one pro-sports team and their university is among the best.

I'm not hating on Edmonton to take some perceived shot at you, Taco. Just the facts. I've seen my share of great cities and Edmonton takes the cake as one of the worst. Can it get better? I would certainly hope so.
I just pointed out your "facts" aren't actual facts. They're [your] opinions. thought you're smarter than that. Keep in mind that alberta keeps the rest of the country afloat. Sucks to alberta because we give up our revenue to support the rest of the country. Good for the rest of the country though!

I also love all the people who have moved to alberta for work, but complain about how shitty it is. No one is keeping them here. They're free to go back to their place of origin. What, no work there? Then shut up and quit whining! It's easy to complain, but wherever they come from (Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, nova scotia) must be worse if they're coming here. These people also can make this place better, but choose to sit stagnant and complain about it. Funny.

Last edited by TacoBello; 02-16-2015 at 01:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
Mizouse (02-16-2015), OneEyedAzn (02-17-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I just pointed out your "facts" aren't actual facts. They're opinions.
The downtown core sucks right now, does it not? Fact.

They are scurrying to revive it, are they not? Fact.

What's the opinion here? And yeah...as unfair as it is, I'm kinda comparing it to Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Taipei, Boston, Seattle, Denver, and so on. But, Edmonton says they are world class...FACT. I'm just saying, where?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Never been to Regina but I'd almost wager that Maj is probably right in his assessment.

At least the property value in Regina is not as ridiculous. You need to pay $500K minimum for a "starter" home in Edmonton.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

It's funny, because we have a 9% budget shortfall due to oil. There's ways to make that back up like a provincial tax. Provincial gov is just fucked up here, is all. albertans will keep voting the same dummies in, because they're afraid of change. Sad but true. They make it sound like the world is crumbling, lol.
Well, not sure what it says about the people's thought process when they vote back the very same government whose former leader decided to build herself a nice $$$$$ sky palace and also, use the government air fleet as her personal jets.

How is she not in jail?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Team Owner

I think you forget about Nunavut, NWT, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland, PEI and Nova Scotia and all the cities in them.

I won't deny that bc, ontario and Quebec are better though. Exponentially Better- in terms of culture, architecture, food, history, etc, etc.

Last edited by TacoBello; 02-16-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 AM
Team Owner

Well, not sure what it says about the people's thought process when they vote back the very same government whose former leader decided to build herself a nice $$$$$ sky palace and also, use the government air fleet as her personal jets.

How is she not in jail?
How is the whole party not in jail? I refuse to vote for them again. I don't know if there is any better party out there, but these guys are awful. They've been in power for 50 years and these days they take advantage of that because they know they're not going anywhere. What a joke.

They talk about bringing in a provincial tax to cover the budget shortfall. Okay, fine. But guess what, once we're out of the budget shortfall, they won't get rid of the tax. They'll likely spend it to the max. Then another oil crisis will happen and they'll say "shit, there's not enough money.. Now what do we do?". They can't budget appropriately for the life of them! There's no reason for us to even have a provincial tax. They can tax the oil companies and save money appropriately for such rainy days- after all, it happened just 7 years ago!! Sigh...
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator

I think you forget about Nunavut, NWT, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland, PEI and Nova Scotia and all the cities in them.

I won't deny that bc, ontario and Quebec are better though. Exponentially Better.
Well, c'mon man...I'm not going to try and compare those "towns" to Alberta's capital. The reason why they are not getting that "fair" shake in my eyes is because of all that oil wealth, I just find it staggering how it seems to be horridly used.

You would think at least the city would've grown and while sure, not at Calgary's pace...but, at least rival them somewhat? It's not even a fair comparison anymore. That's all.

And as for the Oilers...as a hockey fan, I COMPLETELY know their history and the insanity that was their 1980s. When you ice a team THAT dominant with those type of talent, it's awesome. My Hawks ran into them a few times during during their peak years and I'm quite aware of the spanking Chicago received, thank you.

However, for a team that's been rebuilding for over a decade and has been GIFTED THREE 1st-overall picks ALREADY. And now, to watch them tank again for a 4th? Disgusting. I hope they do NOT get Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator

How is the whole party not in jail? I refuse to vote for them again. I don't know if there is any better party out there, but these guys are awful. They've been in power for 50 years and these days they take advantage of that because they know they're not going anywhere. What a joke.

They talk about bringing in a provincial tax to cover the budget shortfall. Okay, fine. But guess what, once we're out of the budget shortfall, they won't get rid of the tax. They'll likely spend it to the max. Then another oil crisis will happen and they'll say "shit, there's not enough money.. Now what do we do?". They can't budget appropriately for the life of them! There's no reason for us to even have a provincial tax. They can tax the oil companies and save money appropriately for such rainy days- after all, it happened just 7 years ago!! Sigh...
WTF moment was when I read how their Health Minister, in a staged act to repair some embarrassing scandals, "fired" the board for the health entity when they refused to waive their bonuses.

Guess what? Firing the board did nothing! The board still got paid their bonuses!

DAFUQ IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!?
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 AM
Team Owner

Never been to Regina but I'd almost wager that Maj is probably right in his assessment.

At least the property value in Regina is not as ridiculous. You need to pay $500K minimum for a "starter" home in Edmonton.
Regina is a dump, lol. I had to spend three weeks there for work a couple years ago. Their rush hour counts as being stuck in traffic for 15 minutes. People were shocked when I told them it takes me 35-40 minutes to get to work, lol.

Their property prices are climbing big time too. The oil sands don't just end at the alberta/sask boarder- they go well into Saskatchewan and they're starting to get to them. When I was there, it was impossible to find a hotel room anywhere in town if you didn't book a week in advance. Just so crazy. I too considered buying some property in Regina, until I saw the prices. It's not cheap at all. Cheaper than deadmonton, at least for now, but I doubt forever.

It's a small city. Think Edmonton has no culture? I'd say they're even worse. They did have some good family owned restaurants there though. Some really good places too.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Alright, you slores. I'm going to pack it in.

Goodnight.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Team Owner

Well, c'mon man...I'm not going to try and compare those "towns" to Alberta's capital. The reason why they are not getting that "fair" shake in my eyes is because of all that oil wealth, I just find it staggering how it seems to be horridly used.

You would think at least the city would've grown and while sure, not at Calgary's pace...but, at least rival them somewhat? It's not even a fair comparison anymore. That's all.

And as for the Oilers...as a hockey fan, I COMPLETELY know their history and the insanity that was their 1980s. When you ice a team THAT dominant with those type of talent, it's awesome. My Hawks ran into them a few times during during their peak years and I'm quite aware of the spanking Chicago received, thank you.

However, for a team that's been rebuilding for over a decade and has been GIFTED THREE 1st-overall picks ALREADY. And now, to watch them tank again for a 4th? Disgusting. I hope they do NOT get Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel.
Yup, the gov here is brutal, to say the least. I hope more people choose to use their votes wisely, as we're going to the polls soon.

We had a shitty mayor for about 10 years who said "no raising taxes ever!" Well, if you don't raise taxes you can't build capital projects. That, and the downtown airport stunned growth for a good 20 years. Sad, really. It's changing though, finally. Wifey and I were actually just talking that we can't believe how many new projects are coming up and how different things will [hopefully] look in ten years.

Money mismanagement is more a provincial thing, not a city thing. The city manages it's money not too bad, to be honest. The provincial government is brutal. Just horrible. And I will agree that Calgary > Edmonton. 100%.

And hey, we had ten good years in hockey, so now we have ten shitty years. Fair, right? I doubt we'll get mcdavid. I don't see it happening. And yeah, we got a bunch of first round picks, but let's be honest, even though they were the best for their year, doesn't mean they're great in the league. They're boys coming into a men's league. Mcdavid is actually the first great first round pick in years. Lucky buffalo I've heard rumours they're looking to get rid of half of the current team, but I'll believe it when I see it. No big changes for now. They fucking suck

Ps I think the hawks are friggin awesome. I hope they scoop another cup soon.

Last edited by TacoBello; 02-16-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
wow.. so much talk the last few days.. not sure how to contribute so here's a picture of some poutine

It's not Canada... but it's the closest thing Socal'ers got to some decent poutine.. really decent restaurant actually: The Kroft - Anaheim, CA | Yelp.

morning ramblers.. flew in early to Florida on a holiday so got the whole day to myself... wondering what to do besides fap in the hotel
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^i need that in my life.
TacoBello (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Poutine looks alright. Fries seem a bit too dry and there's no poutine sauce, what gives? Also cannot serve poutine in a cardboard container, it comes in styrofoam or aluminum containers. Cardboard cannot contain the grease content!

/poutine conoisseur

Also fap in the lobby. EXCITEMENT.
TacoBello (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

It's one of those waxed-lined cardboard that does a pretty decent job of containing all that grease. Also most of the poutines they make come up with gravy, not sure why this one didn't. They try to make hipster type poutines like "fried chicken poutine" and "braised short rib poutine". Do you canucks add stuff like that too?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by thoiboi
It's one of those waxed-lined cardboard that does a pretty decent job of containing all that grease. Also most of the poutines they make come up with gravy, not sure why this one didn't. They try to make hipster type poutines like "fried chicken poutine" and "braised short rib poutine". Do you canucks add stuff like that too?
Sure thing. The classic is fries, gravy & curds, but most decent places you can get poutines with smoked meat, bacon, ham, ground beef, pepperoni, hot dog sausages, onions, mushrooms, peppers, chicken, spaghetti sauce.
Other places might have fancier choices like guacamole, pulled pork, sour cream, different gravy, swiss cheese, fried chicken, coleslaw, peas, merguez, hot peppers, tomatoes, corn dogs and more.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Had one with coconut whipped cream on top. Nothing too good for a Monday morning.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Catching up on some news this morning.. read that the former head of the International Monetary Fund is charged with aggravated pimping. I spit coffee out my nose. That's enough news for today.

Attachment 104014
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM

fucking aggravated pimping..
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Maybe he had to slap all the hos.. johns too..
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Basically.. he pimped too much.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Working outside on a community rink today. Say a prayer for me.

Pulled pork poutine is the shiiiiiit.

You want crooks as far as provincial government goes? How about we look at Ontario. Now don't get me wrong, anything would have been better than Hudak and the PCs but dear god, electing the liberals again after the gas plant nonsense is hilarious.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Majofo
Basically.. he pimped too much.
So a bit of pimping is ok, right? What is too much pimping? What's the threshold?
Majofo (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Arguing about what the best part of Canada is is like trying to decide which part of Roseanne Barr you'd rather lick.

MURIKKA, FK YEAHHHH
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
GKinColo08TL (02-16-2015), TacoBello (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by polobunny
So a bit of pimping is ok, right? What is too much pimping? What's the threshold?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 AM

Don't talk about Canadien politics up in here.. might as well talk about the political environment of Tuvalu.. no one gives a shit.
polobunny (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Lol J, you've waded into the den of the canucks
Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

last i saw, this was acurazine.com not acurazine.ca
Old 02-16-2015, 10:08 AM

I guess you're unaware that the creator of said site is in fact, Canadian.

I call it all America...N, South, ain't no thang.

Southside to the Westside!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Ah.... illuminati confirmed.. i see it now.. I for one welcome our canuck overlords. please fix our country. teach us your universal healthcare and poutine-eating ways!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Majofo
Don't talk about Canadien politics up in here.. might as well talk about the political environment of Tuvalu.. no one gives a shit.
Canadian politics? What politics? This shit is ran like a crackhouse. We might or might not be buying jets I heard.

American politics at least there's action, it's not so one-sided. Makes me think of The Young and the Restless. Thanks Obama.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by polobunny
Canadian politics? What politics? This shit is ran like a crackhouse. We might or might not be buying jets I heard.

American politics at least there's action, it's not so one-sided. Makes me think of The Young and the Restless. Thanks Obama.

Did someone say crack?!?!

The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
polobunny (02-16-2015), TacoBello (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Anyone else watch the 40 year anniversary of SNL special? I loved it...

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)