Sponsored by:

2004 Acura TL MT New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura TL MT New Purchase

Hello,

I am new to the forum but I have lurked here for a long time. I have a Acura that I am looking to buy tomorrow. I went to the dealer yesterday to get more information and to drive it . I came in a little late so I could not test drive it.

Now some fun facts about the car. The dealer said the car had a problem with 3rd gear. I asked if it was popping out but they did not know. I am assuming this will be an easy fix switching the fluids to the GM stuff.

They also said the brakes and rotters will need to be replaced. They also said the engine had no issues at all. The tires on the car a bald and look like they were from a nascar. I thought that was very weird.

They dealer said they cant figure out the transmission issue and don't want to fix the brakes and rotters so they are selling it for $3,500. It has 149,000 miles on it and the interior is very nice. I will drive it tomorrow but should I be worried about anything if it is only the transmission. I really want a manual and they are selling it cheep since it has the mt issue. The dealer is dave cross motors in KCMO. I looked at the carfax report and it has a lot of maintenance records on it as well.

Thank you for any advice!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Why assuming the trans issue will be easy fix by fluids? It could be easy or very expensive fix.

Also bald tires and bad brakes are proxy signs for neglect and poor maintenance by the prior owner. And this may lead to other areas as well...which the trans already showing.

So I would be suspect about them saying the engine is running fine.

Would take it to a proper mechanic/shop for more closer look at the trans before buying for sure.

I'm surprised a dealer even has this....likely it's a trade in and looks like its not on their website (they have a 04 5AT for sale for 6500). And they don't want to spend the money to fix all the issues since they probably can't make much after putting in the money to do the fix
Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthPaw27
Hello,

I am new to the forum but I have lurked here for a long time. I have a Acura that I am looking to buy tomorrow. I went to the dealer yesterday to get more information and to drive it . I came in a little late so I could not test drive it.

Now some fun facts about the car. The dealer said the car had a problem with 3rd gear. I asked if it was popping out but they did not know. I am assuming this will be an easy fix switching the fluids to the GM stuff.

They also said the brakes and rotters will need to be replaced. They also said the engine had no issues at all. The tires on the car a bald and look like they were from a nascar. I thought that was very weird.

They dealer said they cant figure out the transmission issue and don't want to fix the brakes and rotters so they are selling it for $3,500. It has 149,000 miles on it and the interior is very nice. I will drive it tomorrow but should I be worried about anything if it is only the transmission. I really want a manual and they are selling it cheep since it has the mt issue. The dealer is dave cross motors in KCMO. I looked at the carfax report and it has a lot of maintenance records on it as well.

Thank you for any advice!
Personally i wouldnt do it.. but if you want the car that bad then more power to ya man.

That 3rd gear problem could be a lot a few things tbh. No way to know for sure till you really take a look at it.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

The website has the wrong type of car. I called them and asked what car they had and they told me the car on the site was a manual but they forgot to change it. I figure the manual issue would be a somewhat easy fix since they told me it keeps popping out when they put it in 3rd. It also looks like the person who owned it before took their nice wheels and tires off the car and replaced them with cheep wheels when they traded it in. I will test drive it and see if I can find anything wrong with driving it. I did plan on taking it into a place to have a PPI done on it as well.

Since the dealer is a Buick GMC dealer they told me they did not now how to fix anything on an Acura so they were selling it for cheep or they were going to auction it off. I think if everything checks out I could get them to sell if for less then 3.5k and get if for around 2.5kish. Just seems like even if there are issues with it and you put 3k into it to get it working correct would get it back and under what they are normally selling for.

Thanks for the information as well!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Highly doubt that trans is gonna be fixed with fluid, seems that if the dealer knows the car has a 3rd gear synchro problem and it continuously pops out of gear. If you're gonna buy that car just set aside some money to get the trans rebuilt or another one plus clutch, flywheel and all those other bits. If you can snag it for $2000 I think it'll be a good purchase assuming you know the right people or yourself can fix the car
Old 02-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I wouldn't pay more than 2000 for a car like that.

Sure there are always excuses and stories of why tires/brakes are bad. You never know the true history.

It could be a nightmare to maintain/repair right.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
If it was me I would pay no more than 1000 for that car. The third gear issue is seriously doubtful to be fixed by a simple fluid change. Most likely it will need a new third gear set which runs 270 on acuraoemparts. Then you have the labor involved in fixing it.

Then all of the other things like brakes, timing belt service, tires, suspension.

Yea that car is a money pit.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
If it was me I would pay no more than 1000 for that car. The third gear issue is seriously doubtful to be fixed by a simple fluid change. Most likely it will need a new third gear set which runs 270 on acuraoemparts. Then you have the labor involved in fixing it.

Then all of the other things like brakes, timing belt service, tires, suspension.

Yea that car is a money pit.
Good point on the other items....the previous owner likely did not do very good maintenance and there may be a laundry list of things that the car needs.

And as you alluded to...this should really be a mechanic's special....
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

Good points. If I can get it for a steal I may do it. The inside looks so good and seats are not torn and all electronics work. Just wish people took care of a nice car like this a little better...
Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Don't listen to the worrying Nancys. Me personally, I'd bet decent money the GM Syncromesh solves the third gear issue. Actual transmission issues with the 6MT are few and far between with this car. If you want it bad enough, I'd ask them if they'd let you drain/fill the case with the GM fluid. If it takes care of the problem, the car's a decent deal. If not, you're out $45 bucks for the fluid.

As far as needing tires and brakes, that's hardly indicative the car was not maintained well. Those are consumable items that people tend to push to the back burner when they're anticipating getting rid of a car. I'd be more concerned with whether or not the 105k service was done.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Who needs 3rd gear anyways?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Don't listen to the worrying Nancys. Me personally, I'd bet decent money the GM Syncromesh solves the third gear issue. Actual transmission issues with the 6MT are few and far between with this car. If you want it bad enough, I'd ask them if they'd let you drain/fill the case with the GM fluid. If it takes care of the problem, the car's a decent deal. If not, you're out $45 bucks for the fluid.

As far as needing tires and brakes, that's hardly indicative the car was not maintained well. Those are consumable items that people tend to push to the back burner when they're anticipating getting rid of a car. I'd be more concerned with whether or not the 105k service was done.
IF you chose to go that route, make SURE that you negotiate the purchase price BEFORE you attempt that because if it works, their selling price will certainly increase.

Make it a conditional sale. If this fluid solves the issue, I will buy the car for $XXXX. If no, no sale.

Brakes and tires are a piece of cake. If you're on a budget, you can do all four corners for a grand.... With budget minded parts purchased and you doing the labor yourself.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Lees Summit Honda is just down the street...can always take it there for an inspection if you don't have another mechanic lined up. Dave Cross is a decent dealer for service/maintenance, but was not impressed with their sales side of the house. We have a 2015 GMC Terrain we purchased elsewhere, but take it there for service/maintenance.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
Lees Summit Honda is just down the street...can always take it there for an inspection if you don't have another mechanic lined up. Dave Cross is a decent dealer for service/maintenance, but was not impressed with their sales side of the house. We have a 2015 GMC Terrain we purchased elsewhere, but take it there for service/maintenance.
Yeah the sales guy was cussing up a storm with me so that was interesting. I was thinking about taking it down there as well. The tires are balder than me cleans head so that is an issue.

I do like the idea of getting the Gm synchromesh and putting it in contingent on the price and seeing if that works. If I get it for $1,000 and it is to much work to fix I can go to carfax and they would take it for a minimum of $1,000. There is another Acura at Overland Park Mazda that has some rust and the driver seat is tore up but has all the maintenance records. Looking at that as well but the rest worries me since it could be hidden all over.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Don't get the car w/ rust.
The following 3 users liked this post by ggesq:
Jackass (02-08-2016), mtiaz (02-08-2016), Willie3.5 (02-13-2016)