A weekend assignment: How would you market the RLX?

Old 02-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A weekend assignment: How would you market the RLX?

Taking a break from doing paperwork I'm weeks behind on.

We've got a lot of reasonably bright minds from varied professions here, many of whom are owners and want-to-be RLX owners. None of us has outed themselves as a marketer, however, and I'm sure I'd make a lousy one.

Was just thinking, how can Acura revive the currently moribund RLX line through marketing of some type?

If you were in Torrance right now, giving instructions to the chosen marketing firm (I forget who it is now but it'll come to me), what would you want them to do?

Discuss.

I'll start. I'd say an awesome lease deal (again) and better 2016 tech than in the TLX and rest of the line would be a good start....after all, Acura has to have a reason for the PAWS RLX in the lineup. Add a HUD to the PAWS Advance at least, for example. Heated steering wheel in the USA? (I'd LOVE that one after awakening to -17 F yesterday). Doing this would be an apology of sorts to disappointed Acuristas out there waiting for a reason to drop coin on an RLX.

For the Sport Hybrid, a reasonable (I didn't say it had to be awesome, though that'd be great) lease deal could help, along with fixing the items we, the beta testers (as I call us Sport Hybrid owners), have pointed out over the last four months.

I think that's about it. I'm not sure huge TV or magazine ad buys would save the RLX.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Good thread. I've said this before and I'll say it again. It all comes down to exterior styling. The interior of the RLX is absolutely gorgeous but the exterior (especially the side profile) just does not ignite the type of excitement one would expect from a car in that price range (even the Accord is sexier).

I'm not saying Acura should go all out like the 4G TL or sporty like the TLX (I get that the RLX caters to a different demograpic), but at least not make the RLX look so bland. Hell as big in size as Cadillac's XTS is, even it still has a certain sexiness about its stance...something the current RLX is lacking. Now from the front and even from behind, the RLX is a nice looking car. In my opinion, it's the side profile that could use a little bit of tweaking during the mid model refresh.

All the marketing in the world couldn't save a product that many consumers deem to be not as visually pleasing enough to justify a high monthly payment. And it saddens me because the RLX is such an amazing car that has everything else except aesthetics. Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I'm spending that type of money on a car, I want to be in awe everytime I walk up to it in a parking lot. I still get that feeling with my ZDX because it is so rare and so different. I just wish it had the RLXs interior.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 02-21-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting thread!

Although the exterior of the RLX doesn't scream "OMG I NEED THAT!", I think the crowd for which the RLX caters to isn't necessarily looking for flash. I picture a fairly well established individual wanting to stay with the Japanese brands, but not necessarily Lexus.

I think the problem with the RLX is the complete and utter lack of any marketing. I haven't seen a single ad here in town for the car... How are people supposed to buy it? Not everyone is a car enthusiast and if people don't even know a car exists, they won't even bat an eye in its direction.

I imagine Acura has limited the advertisement to follow suit of other flagship sedan models. However, come to think of it, as little as I do see those ads for other flagships, there are still some out there. For starters, I think Acura should informing people they have such a car in their line up. Some billboards, some TV commercials.

I don't think they should alter the pricing. Not yet, anyways. They could however lower finance/lease rates to be more attractive to buyers.

Next, they need to play on the RLXs positives and key points. What makes it special? Why should people look at it over a Infinity or a Lexus? We know Acura won't drop a V8 in, so moving past that, Acura apparently has a legendary AWD system. Let people know why it's so good!

People are also afraid of new technology in cars. Especially in expensive cars. Acura has to market the electric power as not only being environmentally friendly (not sure if it actually is), but that it is reliable. I myself was turned off buying an Accord hybrid (when the 7th gen was around) because I was not sure if it would become a money pit.

Finally, maybe the understated styling isn't for everyone, but Acura should sell it as being "understated luxury". As getting more bang for your buck than someone would expect. As being the cool new kid on the block with more to it than one would expect, while still flying low on the radar.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly, I think a lot can be gained if they change up the wheels - I'm not a fan of these 20+ spoke wheels, they don't look good. You can be different in wheel design and still have an attractive wheel.

Acura is behind on tech next to the Germans. Think about the RL and how advanced that tech was against the Germans back in 2005 - Acura actually had voice navigation that worked, traffic flow, a great stereo system, noise cancellation in the stereo, etc.

Acura needs to step it up. I just feel as if the RLX was put together last minute using existing tech. Acura has HUGE Honda resources available to them - take advantage of it! You can crush the Germans with this car, you just need to step it up your game....

(BTW, not to get off topic, but the new Pilot...yeah, that rear swooping window spells 'family grocery getter')
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 PM
RLX Hybrid #053

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
try this; new RLX for life. every three years return your leased car and get a new one for same monthly payment. it will keep us in the folds and may attract new takers, they dont need many. cost wise it should not be much.
as for advertising they should have a commercial showing the many super cars with similar hybrid system and super handling system with the song "everybody wants to be like you" playing in the background.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
IMHO what they need to do to "market" the RLX is to bring it up to the level where a flagship car for the brand should be. In other words fix the infotainment system -- better screen, better user interface and top notch software. Perhaps upgrade the interior with some real wood, offer a few options that people think should be included in a true luxury car - remote start, heated steering wheel and perhaps some infotainment controls for the rear seat. I think it goes without saying it also needs a reliable suspension and a AWD option.

In the overall scheme of things these aren't particularily major items since basically the PAWS version isn't fundementally broken. If Acura can upgrade/fix the car that will do much more for sales than all the advertising in the world. I think their current marketing stratgy is proper -- do nothing since the sales problem isn't the marketing but the car. Aggressively pushing a car that has issues only hurt the brand. I believe that is a bigger problem than the $s they lose with poor sales.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Some of Acura's early work on the RLX was phenomenal. They released several videos on YouTube that were both thought provoking and emotional. When the RLX was still in concept form, they did an unbelievable job on a video with shots throughout New York City, with the car shown in Times Square, the Financial District, etc. One in particular after the RLX was released had people comparing the RLX favorably to other luxury cars. Some of the early advertising was also good, especially the "road less travelled" ad.

The absence of these types of promotional pieces is damaging. I am not a marketing person, but I remember from Advertising 101 that half of marketing is getting people to purchase a product and half of it is designed to reinforce to those that bought the product that they made a wise choice.

Releasing some of these videos on the Acura website would be helpful in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Pens Fan (02-22-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acuranj18
I am not a marketing person, but I remember from Advertising 101 that half of marketing is getting people to purchase a product and half of it is designed to reinforce to those that bought the product that they made a wise choice. Releasing some of these videos on the Acura website would be helpful in my opinion.
The reinforcing the feeling one made a good choice is missing. Both times I bought a Cadillac, Cadillac sent lots of swag. For my über-rare V wagon, Cadillac gave me a $100, large coffee table book detailing the history of Cadillac design. The book is REALLY cool as until I received it, I was unaware of Cadillac's storied history. I got a call from Cadi marketing thanking me for purchasing the car. They really made me feel cool and special for buying a Cadillac. They went out of their way to make me want to buy another Cadillac, and I probably will at some point.

I haven't heard word one from Acura for leasing their most expensive product. No outreach, no nothing, no marketing. No "are you enjoying your beta testing experience "?. I'm not particularly bothered by it but I'm pointing out the difference between a REAL luxury car company, which Cadillac is, and Acura. Of course what I'm getting most out of this car is the fabulous driving experience, which is its own reward. So keep your ideas coming. Just interested in what you guys think.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
acuranj18 (02-21-2015), Pens Fan (02-22-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
great thread. all similar points I would have made.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the improvements needed for the RLX are completely independent of the marketing needed to increase product awareness. We all know what needs to be improved in the RLX, so I won't go there. But until those things are fixed, I don't think it makes sense for Acura to make any more light of what has been a less than stellar release and underwhelmed "general" opinion of the RLX. While there are some great things about the RLX, and a small number of reviews that get those highlights, the majority opinion is that the car could (and should) have been better, based on the reputation and history that Acura has built for itself up to this point.

Once those things are fixed, THEN Acura needs to look at how they market the vehicle. As "acuranj18" pointed out, some of the early commercials were IMO excellent marketing for what the vision of the RLX is. They were sleek, mature, thought-provoking, and evoked emotion. Those early ad's are how Acura should pick back up if and when they decide to acknowledge they have a flagship again.

I remember seeing the horse racing ad and it made me feel soo good about owning the RLX. Now, I'm just back to feeling like a "beta tester" again, that pays a handsome amount monthly to participate... :|
neuronbob (02-22-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I would come out with a new improved model, offer AWD without a need for a hybrid with a hybrid option, and donate the unsold models and offer existing owners a large credit to the new model. As there is low demand even with low supply it seems to be a dud respective to being associated with the next big thing. (No disrespect to current owners and glad you are enjoying the car). But a new start is needed.

The new model needs a new name and to have all the top features in the line, and a differentiating, even if minor but more the better, level of luxury, materials colors etc.

Would also like to see a super premium ie Acura version of the accord as I think Honda did a great job and I like the looks and physical design / sizes of the accord more than the TLX but would love the sound options etc.

One last wish would be the true NSX driveline or similar/reconfigured in a sedan, the NEXT RLX double turbo option (if possible) for those wanting to splurge.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
The new model needs a new name and to have all the top features in the line, and a differentiating, even if minor but more the better, level of luxury, materials colors etc.
So true....an actual name like back in the days of the Acura Legend instead of stupid letters of the alphabet thrown together.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ actually, what they don't need is to create inconsistencies and one-offs that make it difficult to build brand recognition with. This is an area the Germans excel in. While their success isn't necessarily due to the same same letter/number scheme that, btw, everyone else uses and is doing great with it, it's in the quality of their products. However, while most people don't buy based on the "name", when you go using entirely different naming conventions and schemes across your product lineup, it does have a negative effect by creating a presence that the company is confused and doesn't know what it is they trying to message. Everything in the lineup had a three letter designation with the exception of the TL/RL. It didn't make sense.

Acura needs to stick to a model and go with it. I think the three-letter line-up they have moved to fits very well and makes it very easy to distinguish each class in the lineup while maintaining consistency across the entire lineup, each car having it's own first letter designation, the sedans carry the middle "L" and the SUV's carrying the middle "D".

Last edited by holografique; 02-22-2015 at 12:31 AM.
MisterZDX (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 140 Posts
I hope Acura executives follow this board and react to at least some of the insightful and intelligent suggestions that have been offered here.

Perhaps the first thing Acura needs to do is reinvigorate and motivate their dealers to promote this car. I had been waiting to see what the 2016 MMC of the Hybrid would bring when I decided to lease an MDX. I called the dealership that I was allowed to briefly test drive the 2014 Hybrid and advised them I was tired of waiting for any news on the RLX and was thinking about an MDX. Reaction-"that is a good idea". I ended up not leasing the car from them but rather from another dealer but I think the statement speaks volumes.

Without a competitive lease to offer, this car will never gain any traction because as I have stated before-the luxury market lease penetration is in some cases as much as 50% of the intended consumers. Whoever at Acura decided not to offer any lease on the 2014 SH-AWD Hybrids at all should be relived of their duties. The results of that decision caused them to lose many sales. Acura in January decided to offer the best money factor and residuals ever on the 2015 MDX for instance and I read in Automotive News that they want to increase lease penetration across the board so I expect that this will be rectified with the 2016 introduction.

Exclusive colors for the RLX would also help give the aura that this is a flagship car. The colors offered are bland for the most part and have been around too long as well as being offered on other models. There are elegant and rich colors that other manufacturers offer in their upscale cars and I cannot believe this would be an expensive change for Acura to implement.

And as has also been mentioned-a name change back to Legend would also offer a much needed "fresh start", although this is the least likely change they will likely ever consider.
MisterZDX (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flagship
I would come out with a new improved model, offer AWD without a need for a hybrid with a hybrid option, and donate the unsold models and offer existing owners a large credit to the new model. As there is low demand even with low supply it seems to be a dud respective to being associated with the next big thing. (No disrespect to current owners and glad you are enjoying the car). But a new start is needed.

Would also like to see a super premium ie Acura version of the accord as I think Honda did a great job and I like the looks and physical design / sizes of the accord more than the TLX but would love the sound options etc.

One last wish would be the true NSX driveline or similar/reconfigured in a sedan, the NEXT RLX double turbo option (if possible) for those wanting to splurge.
I think most of us agree that Acura needs to start over with a redesigned RLX. That's a minimum of 3-5 years down the line, though. By then, most of us will have moved on, either to an MDX (for those who stay with the brand) or to the Germans, or even to Cadillac, of all places (despite new, high prices, they have jumped into the competitive lease game with both feet. Go USA!)

Th RLX already has a better interior than other Acuras. Acura's MO lately is a minimalist, Spartan look, which I can appreciate. Adding interior features would help. Changing the exterior should be a priority.

Offering non-hybrid AWD for the RLX is probably not realistic at this time as it would add yet another trim for dealers to not stock.

I would LOVE for Acura to make us a super-premium RLX with a NSX drivetrain. I'd buy it! A super premium Accord.....that was the TSX (European Accord), and currently that's the Accord Touring. The Accord Touring competes with the FWD TLX as is. I LOVE the 9G Accord styling. That they got it so right gives me some hope for Acura exterior styling.

Ultimately, though the thread is about what should be done with the current model, until the next RLX comes. I certainly hope they don't stick with what's turned out to be a dud in the marketplace for another seven model years. That it is a dud is partially of their own making, though. No marketing and no inventory, then insulting buyers with no lease deals on the Hybrid, does not build a model. Once again, it's too bad. This is a fabulous car that needs a little tweaking.
MisterZDX (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:53 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The need to market a car like the RLX or RLXh doesn't exist. It is an intermediate design between gas engines and full electric. At least this is what I think Honda/Acura road map displays at the moment.

So, the entire exercise is to "pilot" some concepts and make some money in the process just to brake even. The real marketing will happen when other things get shorted out first: electric technology becomes mainstream, patents gets shorted out, manufacturing capacity gets streamlined, global energy trade stabilizes, economies of scale reach maturity, until, until...

So, while hanging on to the tradition of the RL name, Honda/Acura introduces the RLX in the market to buy time for the next big technology boom and they couldn't care less about any marketing of that car. So, even the most brilliant acurazine RLX marketing idea will fall in deaf ears.

My 2 cents.

PS. If they are serious about marketing the RLXh they should bolt on the Honda Jet engine and race it in Le Mans with the grand-kids in the backseats
Old 02-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
I think the Sport Hybrid is meant for the sort of Acura buyers who would have participated in the Google Glass beta (raises hand). It is a pretty geeky effort. Being a geek, I can appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
For me it is pretty basic:

1) The brand has to appreciate the car before they can expect anyone else to, Acura / Honda loyalist or not. Excluding the car for adverts, and a complete about face since the bungled launch tells the world 'We don't care, why should you".

2) Make the car available for tangible assessments. The PAWS model is mostly only available in Tech form. Good luck finding an Advance without planning a 3 state trip. You have better luck finding a unicorn than a Sport Hybrid. If there are a few dozen SHs growing roots somewhere, plant them at dealerships (not at a cost to the dealer) and use them as demos people can touch and drive. Get SOME exposure to them then hiding them at some port facility.

3) I agree on unique color(s). Can we get something outside of Black, Silver and White with the generic black, grey and tan interior? Even the TLX has some nice unique interior tones. Then again, will you be better off finding a unicorn with a birthmark identical to the Acura logo than ever seeing / touching that car?

4) Stop torturing your dealers and subsequently your customers. Dealers are rationed these cars, and it appears easier and more profitable to sell customers and MDX or other model. I have been to 3 Acura dealers and when I ask about the RLX they all give me the same eye roll and sigh. If the dealer has an interested buyer, SHIP the available car to the dealer! WHy must the customer pay dealer roulette in hopes to find the lucky dealer rewarded with RLX inventory? Who are you trying to serve?

5) Treat your flagship owners as exceptional customers and not Beta Testers. Offer them a concierge service and direct CS for the RLX. Listen, learn and RESPOND to them. You F'd it up, how about getting some FREE advice. The RL, RLX has been a car that Acura is LUCKY to have sold to people who basically had to SEEK IT OUT. Instead Acura behaves as if they have shame of this car.

6) For those who have asked for, registered for updates and are banging on your door.... ANSWER. What morons in corporate think it is wise to hide from the VERY people interested in buying the car? Get your heads out of the sand or your ass. If the forum is a sample of the RLX owner, they are intelligent, analytical and understand choosing against the grain. Why alienate them further?

If I we were on Wheel of Fortune playing against Acura execs, and the puzzle has reached: "Acura Suc_s", the idiots would ask to buy a vowel.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 02-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (02-22-2015), acuranj18 (02-22-2015), holografique (02-22-2015), JonFo (02-23-2015), MisterZDX (02-22-2015), neuronbob (02-22-2015), weather (03-06-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
As a TLX owner and Acura customer for 7 years, I would suggest that the Sport Hybrid is a highly regarded and advanced vehicle and needs to be marketed as such. For example, a comparable BMW5 Hybrid is about 10K more and has less power and a little less fuel economy.

As for the other trim levels, a refresh is certainly in order, given the TLX. Size does matter to some, but you also have to give them more features than they get in the less expensive models. Acura may have the same issue with the TLX when they come out with the new ILX in the next while.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Acura executives should fly all of us beta testers to San Diego, interview us, and then make commercials around the interviews of happy owners who love the car. Malibu Flyer can pick us up from SAN airport in his SH. Anyone listening? I don't need a reason to leave the New York area and all of this snow!
neuronbob (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd fly out to San Diego for that. Malibu Flyer would look nicely relaxed from the drive down the I-5 from LA to SD in his Sport Hybrid.

Honestly, I'd even fly out to LA for something like this after the freezer I've been exposed to the last week.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
If Acura wanted to promote the RLX (and I'm not at all sure they do), they would have to spend some money. Image sells cars ... Run TV ads. Put it on a pedestal. Make it special. Make it fashionable. Make it desirable. Make everyone want one. Hire the advertising firm that developed the singing, dancing hamster ads for the Kia Soul.

As for supply, that's your dealer's problem. My dealer has a bunch of RLX's on their lot.

I kind of like the idea of special color choices for the RLX, although most buyers would still opt for the darker grey and black colors. How many flashy colors do you see on Mercedes and BMW's?

As for TV, I'd like to see commercials like this:

Nighttime, with lights and activity and the sounds of a symphony in the background; camera on a good-looking 30-something man in a tuxedo, accompanied by an elegant lady in a long dress and heels. The man nods to a valet, who runs over and gets in a black RLX, resplendent and slightly mysterious-looking in the reflected lights, the puddle lamps in the door handles glowing in the near-darkness. You hear the zoom of the engine as he presses the Start button, and the picture flashes to the gauge cluster, tach and speedometer needles swinging to max and back.

The young valet caresses the leather steering wheel lovingly, the camera on his face as he gazes lustfully at the interior of the car. A flash shot of the center stack screens and nav display, before he finally puts it in reverse and the backup camera display pops on.

Cut to the classy couple again as the valet rolls up in the RLX, lights glinting off the shiny finish like mini flash bulbs and vague neon sign refections undulating over the cars surface like living things as it moves. The valet hops out and runs around to open the passenger door to help the lady in, her silver high heels sparkling in the dim light as she swings her legs in. Quick shot of the man, a knowing smile on his face as he snicks the RLX into gear and looks over at the woman. She smiles back lovingly at him as he pulls away from the concert hall.

Momentary shot of the valet, still looking longingly at the RLX as it pulls slowly away. Good view of the car as it rolls away in slow motion, the reflections flowing sensuously along the contours of the body. Another couple, standing at the curb waiting for the valet, turn their heads and watch, mouths slightly open, as the slinky black RLX rolls by in slo mo.

Cut to an over-the-shoulder shot of the valet again, looking longingly at the RLX as it fades away into the night.

Cut to the man and woman in the car. He looks over at her again with a slight smile, unties his bowtie and tosses it into the back seat. Quick shot of the woman's face as she smiles knowingly and adjusts her seat belt. Shot of the man's hand as he pulls on the paddle shifter, and you hear the engine race as he roars onto a deserted roadway. Quick shot of the SH-AWD display and tach needle as the car arcs around a tight curve, and a shot of the man's face smiling with satisfaction.

A long shot of the tail lights disappearing into the night to the strains of rock music. Then the Acura logo and RLX.

No dialogue, just sound effects.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 02-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.
weather (03-06-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'd fly out to San Diego for that. Malibu Flyer would look nicely relaxed from the drive down the I-5 from LA to SD in his Sport Hybrid.

Honestly, I'd even fly out to LA for something like this after the freezer I've been exposed to the last week.
Perhaps this could be a good marketing tie-in (drive to the runway) if/when they have a top of the line sedan they are ready to market:

https://hondajet.honda.com/#2

Last edited by flagship; 02-22-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
If Acura wanted to promote the RLX (and I'm not at all sure they do), they would have to spend some money. Image sells cars ... Run TV ads. Put it on a pedestal. Make it special. Make it fashionable. Make it desirable. Make everyone want one. Hire the advertising firm that developed the singing, dancing hamster ads for the Kia Soul.

As for supply, that's your dealer's problem. My dealer has a bunch of RLX's on their lot.

I kind of like the idea of special color choices for the RLX, although most buyers would still opt for the darker grey and black colors. How many flashy colors do you see on Mercedes and BMW's?

As for TV, I'd like to see commercials like this:

Nighttime, with lights and activity and the sounds of a symphony in the background; camera on a good-looking 30-something man in a tuxedo, accompanied by an elegant lady in a long dress and heels. The man nods to a valet, who runs over and gets in a black RLX, resplendent and slightly mysterious-looking in the reflected lights, the puddle lamps in the door handles glowing in the near-darkness. You hear the zoom of the engine as he presses the Start button, and the picture flashes to the gauge cluster, tach and speedometer needles swinging to max and back.

The young valet caresses the leather steering wheel lovingly, the camera on his face as he gazes lustfully at the interior of the car. A flash shot of the center stack screens and nav display, before he finally puts it in reverse and the backup camera display pops on.

Cut to the classy couple again as the valet rolls up in the RLX, lights glinting off the shiny finish like mini flash bulbs and vague neon sign refections undulating over the cars surface like living things as it moves. The valet hops out and runs around to open the passenger door to help the lady in, her silver high heels sparkling in the dim light as she swings her legs in. Quick shot of the man, a knowing smile on his face as he snicks the RLX into gear and looks over at the woman. She smiles back lovingly at him as he pulls away from the concert hall.

Momentary shot of the valet, still looking longingly at the RLX as it pulls slowly away. Good view of the car as it rolls away in slow motion, the reflections flowing sensuously along the contours of the body. Another couple, standing at the curb waiting for the valet, turn their heads and watch, mouths slightly open, as the slinky black RLX rolls by in slo mo.

Cut to an over-the-shoulder shot of the valet again, looking longingly at the RLX as it fades away into the night.

Cut to the man and woman in the car. He looks over at her again with a slight smile, unties his bowtie and tosses it into the back seat. Quick shot of the woman's face as she smiles knowingly and adjusts her seat belt. Shot of the man's hand as he pulls on the paddle shifter, and you hear the engine race as he roars onto a deserted roadway. Quick shot of the SH-AWD display and tach needle as the car arcs around a tight curve, and a shot of the man's face smiling with satisfaction.

A long shot of the tail lights disappearing into the night to the strains of rock music. Then the Acura logo and RLX.

No dialogue, just sound effects.
I think we have our first segment of Acura RLX-SH porn! Awesome!!! Call a Hollywood director and lets shoot this, then sell the ad to Acura so we can collect the royalties! If they won't make the commercial, we should!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Just let me know when you are coming!!!!

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Glad to drive you around So Cal. I am already hosting some frozen East Coasters. Now we only need to have Acura send out the invites. PM your flight schedule and I'll meet at the airport in my Sports Hybrid.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

In addition to the advertising campaign, I think Acura needs to:

- Install the 9-speed tranny in the RLX at MMC,

- Upgrade the nav system to include some of the features of the TLX (namely, one-step voice entry of destination addresses), as well as speed limit displays (heck, everyone does that - even Ford!),

- Consider doing something with the tail lights to make them more upscale (they look too much like the ones on the Chevy Cruze mid-size car)

- Acura might even consider a mild turbo, which at conservative boost could easily make 350-360hp without stressing stock components, and which would elevate the performance closer to that of the competition.

- And yeah, a heated steering wheel would be nice.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
In addition to the advertising campaign, I think Acura needs to:

- Install the 9-speed tranny in the RLX at MMC,

- Upgrade the nav system to include some of the features of the TLX (namely, one-step voice entry of destination addresses), as well as speed limit displays (heck, everyone does that - even Ford!),

- Consider doing something with the tail lights to make them more upscale (they look too much like the ones on the Chevy Cruze mid-size car)

- Acura might even consider a mild turbo, which at conservative boost could easily make 350-360hp without stressing stock components, and which would elevate the performance closer to that of the competition.

- And yeah, a heated steering wheel would be nice.

Actually I saw another RLX on the road at night and I thought the tail lights looked awesome.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Lots of good points in the thread, ,I tend to agree - first fix the glaring problems - and from my view THE big one is the noisy suspension. I think acura wayyy underestimates sound as a factor in the reviewer assessment of the suspension 'tuning'. If it was quiet, the otherwise same suspension would have much, much better auto critic reviews.
Some other product items mentioned here do make sense as well.
And I agree Acura does already know how to market well. A 60+k sedan that rattles trashes any marketing effort.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Since the OP question is about marketing, here's my take:

Cater to your existing base: Intelligent people who want well engineered transportation that does not scream 'I'm rich' or more accurately 'I want you to think I'm rich'.
Your demographic sees themselves as 'smart' and 'value conscious', and some even dig the tech in great detail

So I'd drop the PAWS version, focus everything on the SH and leverage the amazing amount of free publicity you get for the NSX by calling the RLXh a 'four door NSX' or 'has the heart of an NSX'

I mean to the point of where if I google for NSX I get hits on the RLXh images and stories.

Many of us would love to own an NSX, but will settle for vehicle that shares its DNA and some of its organs as well, but that can do all the things a nice sedan can do, while still delivering much of the driving enjoyment on real roads.

So no need to spend bazilions on marketing, just make a few strategic associations and publish some online videos and gain from the viral sharing and talk.
The following 3 users liked this post by JonFo:
hondamore (02-23-2015), neuronbob (02-23-2015), timmins (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I agree with JonFo. The marketing budget to try to convince MB and BMW drivers to switch to an RLX would be astronomical. Equally astronomical would be the budget to convince the masses that Acura is a snobby, "look at me, I've got money" brand.

Acura will forever be linked with Honda and unfortunately that would be difficult to change. Honda's greatest strength - building affordable, PRACTICAL, reliable vehicles - is the biggest hurdle to convincing people that Acura, MADE BY HONDA, is a lavish, ostentatious, expression of wealth that the noveau riche and many others covet so dearly.

Instead, I agree that the marketing play here is to convince more and more former Civic and Accord owners to move to Acura when their financial situation allows them to enter the luxury market. Acura has done a great job of this with the MDX as huge numbers of former CRV or Pilot owners move upscale to the MDX. This is made easier by the fact that SUV buyers are, by definition, typically looking for practicality and functionality in their family hauler (although sales of the X5, M-class and Cayenne suggest snob appeal is not lost in this segment).

I envision montage ads showing a young man graduating college and driving away in a Civic, then putting on a suit and driving an Accord, then becoming Vice President and driving a TLX, then finally getting out of a private jet and getting into an RLX with the caption - "You've always loved the quality and reliability. You'll always feel at home".

Finally, I'll agree with other posters who have suggested that producing a reasonable quantity of RLX's (especially the Sport Hybrid), getting them to every dealer so people can test drive them and then offering a substantial lease deal or quietly offer dealer incentives to give traditionally, "cost conscious" Honda/Acura loyalists the deal they covet. Getting significant numbers of Sport Hybrid RLX's on the streets is the best marketing Acura could ever do. They've built a great car, let the word of mouth from happy owners be your marketing plan.
The following 5 users liked this post by hondamore:
2011TL (02-23-2015), DASS (02-23-2015), JonFo (02-23-2015), neuronbob (02-23-2015), timmins (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Actually I saw another RLX on the road at night and I thought the tail lights looked awesome.
The problem is not with the LED lighting of the taillights (that part looks great).

The problem is in the actual taillight plastic housing design. Its too big and bulky looking (like the Chevy Cruze). It detracts from the car being able to carry a more sleeker sexier design to it. The housing dissappears at night, hence why it looks great with just the LED's.

Personally I think the MDX taillights are a better execution than the RLX. Sleek, sharp and sexy.

IMO what the RLX needs is a little trimming of the "fat". The overall design is great, it just needs to be a bit sharper, leaner, taught, and slimmed back some. A slight lowering, more aggressive stance, and trim some fat off the ass and I think you'll end up with a real eye turner that will capture the market...and just maybe turnaround the critics...

Last edited by holografique; 02-23-2015 at 02:24 PM.
MisterZDX (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 02:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by holografique
The problem is not with the LED lighting of the taillights (that part looks great).

The problem is in the actual taillight plastic housing design. Its too big and bulky looking (like the Chevy Cruze). It detracts from the car being able to carry a more sleeker sexier design to it. The housing dissappears at night, hence why it looks great with just the LED's.

Personally I think the MDX taillights are a better execution than the RLX. Sleek, sharp and sexy.

IMO what the RLX needs is a little trimming of the "fat". The overall design is great, it just needs to be a bit sharper, leaner, taught, and slimmed back some. A slight lowering, more aggressive stance, and trim some fat off the ass and I think you'll end up with a real eye turner that will capture the market...and just maybe turnaround the critics...
Exactly!

The headlights are slender and crisp, but the tail lights are fat and bloated, as if different design teams did the front and rear of the car.

A more cohesive design would have the tails being more like the MDX or even TLX (although I think the TLX tails are a bit blah).

Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JonFo
Since the OP question is about marketing, here's my take:

Cater to your existing base: Intelligent people who want well engineered transportation that does not scream 'I'm rich' or more accurately 'I want you to think I'm rich'.
Your demographic sees themselves as 'smart' and 'value conscious', and some even dig the tech in great detail

So I'd drop the PAWS version, focus everything on the SH and leverage the amazing amount of free publicity you get for the NSX by calling the RLXh a 'four door NSX' or 'has the heart of an NSX'

I mean to the point of where if I google for NSX I get hits on the RLXh images and stories.

Many of us would love to own an NSX, but will settle for vehicle that shares its DNA and some of its organs as well, but that can do all the things a nice sedan can do, while still delivering much of the driving enjoyment on real roads.

So no need to spend bazilions on marketing, just make a few strategic associations and publish some online videos and gain from the viral sharing and talk.
Best answer yet. I've thought of that, too. Being that the RLX Sport Hybrid's and NSX's drivetrains are related, and the NSX is so popular, it would make perfect sense to connect the two. It's almost a no-brainer.
JonFo (02-25-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Sometimes marketing is not all it is cracked up to be. You can spend a lot money and still not hit the target audience with the right stuff to make a difference sufficient to offset the marketing expenditure. Acura/Honda wants to spend its marketing dollars in a manner that brings folks into the dealership. After they get into the dealership it is the responsibility of the sales and sometimes, service staff, to decipher the needs of the customer and then to provide a match to their self identified needs. In early 2007 when I was looking for a low mileage 2006 RL, I was in South Florida's highest volume Acura dealership and found the the sales folks knew the TL from stem to stern but were truly weak in their RL product knowledge. This was underscored by the salesman riding with us in an RL not knowing how to use several of the settings and functions. He openly admitted to the staff not pushing the RL and saying their bread and butter sedan was selling the TL. I daresay the same condition exists today.

So . . . . . . .here's what I would do if it were my business:
Have the senior management drive demonstrator RLX Advance and Hybrid Advance cars. I'd identify local sports, association or other high visibility figures and provide them uber special business lease deals so as to be "lead steers" for bringing social proof recognition in the community to the RLX and, in so doing, additionally convey prestige to the entire Acura brand. The money spent in this type of lease discounting would likely be less than the funds spent to date on that stupid animatronic horse RLX ad. By the way, the term "lead steer" refers to the steer that leaves the barn first in the morning the other steers/cows follow to the field and vice versa in the evening.

In summary, I'd spend money on the Acura brand in a manner to bring folks to the dealership and allocate funds to get community recognized statement leaders into the driving Acura vehicles with the RLX getting the lion's share of those in the demographics appropriate to the RLX.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting idea. Too bad around here, Lebron James is wedded to Kia, of all manufacturers.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I caught up with an old friend tonight and made no mention of the SH until we walked out to the parking lot to part ways. He immediately recognized the SH for what it is. He said that he had been reading everything he could get his hands on about the car, including reading our threads on this website. He asked me if I was RLX-Sport Hybrid and of course I said yes. He said that is very cool.

We jumped in the car and I heard one "awesome" after another "oh freaking cool" comment. He was truly blown away and several times he said "you better slow down". After breaking every speed law in the US in short order, we headed back for him to head home. He said it needs a more sporty exhaust as it is far to restrained for the performance it provides. I think that is part of the mystique that makes it such a suprise. The velocity relative to the revs is almost strange. I told him I am going to dyno the car soon, and he said he would be shocked it does not show at least 300-350 ft/lbs from 1,000 to 4,000 rpm. I won't know if that is true until I get the data back, but we will see if he is right in the coming weeks.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
As a TLX owner and Acura customer for 7 years, I would suggest that the Sport Hybrid is a highly regarded and advanced vehicle and needs to be marketed as such. For example, a comparable BMW5 Hybrid is about 10K more and has less power and a little less fuel economy.
When I was driving a lot of different cars in Miami 2 weeks ago, the best deal I found was on a BMW Hybrid, used, that was selling way below the price of other used 3 series, less by $10,000. It had the BIGGEST SIGN ON IT, touting the amazing-ness of this deal, AND their willingness to DEAL.

The BMW, and the Sports Hybrid, may be dealing with an anti Hybrid bias that has become cultural. Just as American men don't really want to use "man" bags, but they are OK in other cultures.

Clearly if BMW cannot bridge the gap over the anti-hybrid bias, then Acura seems to have a near impossible task. Never mind the Sports Hybrid was not designed primarily as a fuel sipper.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Before considering any kind of marketing, you have to resolve that you want to sell the Legend in the first place.

So before you move money around to market the RLX, you have to either (1)add capacity to the line at Saiyama and remove the element of hand assembly or (2)give production to American Honda.

But we're dreaming. I do not believe that Honda views the 5G Legend as anything other than a niche vehicle for die-hard Honda buyers who would be otherwise at the end of their Honda buying history, and as a vehicle for experimenting with future technologies like the HUD, the Sport Hybrid concept, the rear touch screen, that complicated suspension that nobody seems to like, etc....

:-)
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
holografique (02-24-2015), sooththetruth (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Before considering any kind of marketing, you have to resolve that you want to sell the Legend in the first place.

So before you move money around to market the RLX, you have to either (1)add capacity to the line at Saiyama and remove the element of hand assembly or (2)give production to American Honda.

that complicated suspension that nobody seems to like, etc....

:-)
Let me admit this, again. I drove the RLX PAWS, heard the Clunk even in the 2015 vehicle, and still thought the ride was magnificent. So, it may be that with the new improvements the clunk is the compromise, but I admit that I am now admitting that I am heading over to the suspension thread to see if the changeds done for holographique have made the ride acceptable to him
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
The problem is in the actual taillight plastic housing design. Its too big and bulky looking (like the Chevy Cruze).
You're not the first person who's noticed that. :-) It's an eclectic design, no doubt about it.

It detracts from the car being able to carry a more sleeker sexier design to it.
The wing bulges around the front wheels don't help, either. It doesn't bother me much, but it's ironic that Honda rolled them out the same time that Mercedes was trying to figure out how to get rid of them on its own S Class.

Trouble is, while they were more or less for show on the Mercedes, you would have to redesign the front suspension to remove them on the Legend. With the front suspension travel that we're allowed in the current design, you need the wing bulges or you need to add metal to remove them.

At this point, I don't think they care about the critics. I believe, honestly, that they have decided that the critics are not likely to have ever been customers in the first place...at least not customers of the Legend.

I have also heard more than one Honda or Acura employee raise the "damned if you do...." philosophy.

With the 2009 Hargett TL, they were ahead of the curve in accepting the upcoming crash standards that nobody else had addressed yet. This made for a very high nose and the only way to sport-ize it was to make it very bold, very aggressive.

The result was a very poor selling car.

But now it's 2015.

And that damned ugly as hell Lexus is selling like hotcakes even though they were several years later recognizing that the noses of all of our cars had to be redesigned to meet these crash standards.

At great expense, Honda and Acura spent money trying to calm down their noses, because 2009 was such a bad year, and now it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Just observing. Not pretending to have an answer. I got it in 2009, and I got it in 2014. :-) It doesn't matter to me if the typical Lexus and BMW buyer does *not* get it, as long as Honda does not need them to survive.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Let me admit this, again. I drove the RLX PAWS, heard the Clunk even in the 2015 vehicle, and still thought the ride was magnificent. So, it may be that with the new improvements the clunk is the compromise, but I admit that I am now admitting that I am heading over to the suspension thread to see if the changeds done for holographique have made the ride acceptable to him
After getting only the front shock/struts replaced, mine is perfect. Couldn't be happier. It even started up perfectly at -14 this morning. No complaints. Only compliments to the chef.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A weekend assignment: How would you market the RLX?