Water Marks on Black RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Water Marks on Black RLX

I read where a number of the folks on this forum wash and wax or detail their RLX. I usually just take my car to a detailer and get it done once a quarter, but it was a nice day and I thought I would take a crack at washing it. I notice when I finished washing and drying it I could see big water marks on the hood. So I got a wet towel and re-wipe the area to tried and wipe the water marks off. But even after using a clean towel the water marks were still there on the hood. You could see them in the bright sun versus the shade, any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I use vinegar to get marks off if I ever park at a sprinkler at friends house

Morons in California run sprinklers random times of day and U.S. Car people are victims of such
The following users liked this post:
woropallo (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
A lot of this is dependent on the hardness of your local water.

I believe that the best solution is to wash the car, rinse well and then dry with soft, edgeless microfiber towels BEFORE the water has a chance to dry into waterspots. It helps to wash indoors if you are lucky enough to have room and a drain in your garage, if not, avoiding washing on hot sunny days helps.

Just based on my experience.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
As Hondamore says, ALWAYS wash your car in the shade when the surface is cool. Watermarks come from very hard water or when the sun dries the water on the car before you get a chance to dry it.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by woropallo
I read where a number of the folks on this forum wash and wax or detail their RLX. I usually just take my car to a detailer and get it done once a quarter, but it was a nice day and I thought I would take a crack at washing it. I notice when I finished washing and drying it I could see big water marks on the hood. So I got a wet towel and re-wipe the area to tried and wipe the water marks off. But even after using a clean towel the water marks were still there on the hood. You could see them in the bright sun versus the shade, any suggestions?
Ok, let me crack my knuckels as I warm up to help you. Since you are in Florida I checked what the public water supply classifies your water which could either enhance or limit water spots. Since there is so much limestone under ground there, it contributes to a classification of hard water as there is leaching into the system. I have both hard water and high iron content in my water, but my filtration system brings the PH levels back to neutral levels and near 100% of the iron is removed. However that does not exempt me from getting water spots if I don't dry the car fast enough after washing. So here is what I would recommend:
1.) Wash the car in the shade or under cover and early in the morning or late in the evening based on your sun angle and temperature.
2.) Use a very mild soap from either AMMO NYC or The Chemical Guys as it will help to reduce the spots.
3.) Make sure you have clay barred the car correctly, applied a base coat wax then wipe clean, applied a sealer wax then wipe clean, applied a 100% pure Carnuba wax then wipe clean, and then a detail spray then wipe clean.
4.) When you wash the car next time use a waffle towel when the paint is very wet and chase it with an edgeless double sided micro fiber towel to dry the left over moisture. Wring out the waffle towel and continue from top down and keep replacing the chasing micro fiber towel with another very dry one. Speed is your friend here so do it quickly.
5.) Do another application of the detail spray after the car is completely dry and your problems are solved.

If your spots remain you may need to use a mild compound on the spot but use your finger tip to rub it in so you don't use to much. You do not need to get the car detailed very likely. What I recommended is preventative as much as it resolves the issues. This is precisely how I keep my ride looking awesome. Hopefully this is helpful.
The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
hondamore (04-25-2015), neuronbob (04-26-2015), thoiboi (04-28-2015), woropallo (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Jeez. I need to run out and get the dirty rainwater off my car at some point today. This is the thing I hate about black cars.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Jeez. I need to run out and get the dirty rainwater off my car at some point today. This is the thing I hate about black cars.
Heading out now to remove the bug spatters from yesterday's drive. It is an almost daily thing, but I enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
But...

Originally Posted by neuronbob
When a black car is "Done Right", as described by RLX-Sport Hybrid, absolutely nothing looks better!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Drifting

I need to wash my car!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
It takes work to keep a black car spotless.....Thank you Zaino!
Attached Thumbnails Water Marks on Black RLX-2004rl2015.5.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
It takes work to keep a black car spotless.....Thank you Zaino!
I'm just thinking of how hard I would have to work to maintain a car's paint of that age to look like that. Nice work! That looks like it has not seen salt in the winter ever!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Got to hijack thread for a few minutes. Anyone recognize some of these products? I know what the suds and the wheel gloss is but have no idea the function of the other stuff. I don't know how to clay and I bought a clay kit and a lot of other things. LIke what is this v34? what is black light? what is On? Any ideas? What is Luber? Anyone wants to buy some of this stuff let me know, I don't even know how to use it. this is half of what I have.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krava

Got to hijack thread for a few minutes. Anyone recognize some of these products? I know what the suds and the wheel gloss is but have no idea the function of the other stuff. I don't know how to clay and I bought a clay kit and a lot of other things. LIke what is this v34? what is black light? what is On? Any ideas? What is Luber? Anyone wants to buy some of this stuff let me know, I don't even know how to use it. this is half of what I have.
I use most of that for my detailing activites. Why did you buy them if you were not going to use them? The Black Light is for dark color cars (not yours) as it is specifically formulated for black or dark blue paints. The clay kit is to take contaminants off the paint in conjunction with either soapy water or spray waxes, so then you can rebuild the wax layers for an awesome finish. You better know what you are doing though. The silk gloss is fantastic for the tires but you need to use an applicator carefully as you don't want that getting on your hands or the wheels. Use plastic gloves when using that product. The hyper coat is good to use but again you need to know what you are doing when applying it. Skip the compound as you don't need it. The suds are great. You need about a table spoon of it for a 5 gal wash bucket. I use that every time. It is both mild and also it reduces the water spotting issues. Only if you have brake dust staining on your wheels do you need the wheel cleaner. If you wash if regularly you shouldn't need it. The orange bottle is a detailing spray for after you wash the car. Make sure you apply it on a cold surface and NOT in the sunlight. One spray for a 1 square foot area, and then wipe with a double sided micro fiber edgeless towel until it is dry. Flip the towel so you keep one side damp and the other dry. Do not let it get on the tires. It is also good on glass surfaces as it acts like RainX. I hope that helps you. Enjoy your new car!
krava (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I'm just thinking of how hard I would have to work to maintain a car's paint of that age to look like that. Nice work! That looks like it has not seen salt in the winter ever!
NO salt whats so ever..... It is Garage California CHERRY......never has seen rain, dirt road EVER. NO to TOXIC car washes too! Hand wash/waxed by ZAINO 100% since day one! 27,000 das original miles ! Going on 12 years old....BEST built product by HMC YTD!!!!!!! It has 75 coats of Z5 & Z6...spotless undercarriage, motor bay inside and out....No kids No smoke No wives No pets!
Attached Thumbnails Water Marks on Black RLX-2004rl2015.2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Drifting

^^Beautiful. Looks brand new. Nice work.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I kept calling my dealership over the years....they would ask "how many miles do you have?" I would say 12,ooo....oh you are good...no need to bring it in...Its the "RL".....2004 is an 8 year production run Mule.....so two more years go by....same response....so finally I brought her in on the 8 year mark. Keep in mind I change my oil, eyeball inspect fluids etc...top off as needed....so they changed the brake fluid and rotated the tires and adjusted the brakes etc....They referred to it as "brand new like".....customers there were drooling over it...asking what year it was etc....should have seen the service writers face when he opened the hood....shocked to see the original tires that were 8 years old and like "new".....so at least its on the books in their system....it does everything I need and some.....Does the RLX have REAL WOOD like mine does? ? ?
Attached Thumbnails Water Marks on Black RLX-2004rl2015.7.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Thank you JM2010 SH-AWD
Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

NO salt whats so ever..... It is Garage California CHERRY......never has seen rain, dirt road EVER. NO to TOXIC car washes too! Hand wash/waxed by ZAINO 100% since day one! 27,000 das original miles ! Going on 12 years old....BEST built product by HMC YTD!!!!!!! It has 75 coats of Z5 & Z6...spotless undercarriage, motor bay inside and out....No kids No smoke No wives No pets!
It looks fantastic! I just got done with a 390 mile run from NY through NJ to Deleware and back. Bug splatter galor. As soon as the sun goes down a little more I have to hit the wash bucket and get the Blackbird clean again!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I always carry a 100% Egyptian cotton towel (compliment of Zaino) and a bottle of Z6 to rid those bug splatters, bird droppings etc.....bird shiatz is toxic these days to paint and clear coats.... www.zainobros.com
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

I always carry a 100% Egyptian cotton towel (compliment of Zaino) and a bottle of Z6 to rid those bug splatters, bird droppings etc.....bird shiatz is toxic these days to paint and clear coats.... www.zainobros.com
That stuff is more toxic than the hot air coming from 1600 Penn Ave. Sorry Dr. Bob it just falls out of my head. Got to go clean the bird. Will post after if the light is right.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

More the reason to buy the OEM full bra before they are not available anymore as the case with my 04 RL....ya snooze......yah loose.....
Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

More the reason to buy the OEM full bra before they are not available anymore as the case with my 04 RL....ya snooze......yah loose.....
What bra? There isn't anything on the Acura website. Maybe I should check out Victoria Secrets!!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

It looks fantastic! I just got done with a 390 mile run from NY through NJ to Deleware and back. Bug splatter galor. As soon as the sun goes down a little more I have to hit the wash bucket and get the Blackbird clean again!
Here it is clean and sparkling.

The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
miner (06-14-2015), TSX69 (06-11-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Looking good!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Which orange bottle? the ON? the car I got is a dark grey, it is hard to tell the difference from the black on from the dark grey in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, let me crack my knuckels as I warm up to help you. Since you are in Florida I checked what the public water supply classifies your water which could either enhance or limit water spots. Since there is so much limestone under ground there, it contributes to a classification of hard water as there is leaching into the system. I have both hard water and high iron content in my water, but my filtration system brings the PH levels back to neutral levels and near 100% of the iron is removed. However that does not exempt me from getting water spots if I don't dry the car fast enough after washing. So here is what I would recommend:
1.) Wash the car in the shade or under cover and early in the morning or late in the evening based on your sun angle and temperature.
2.) Use a very mild soap from either AMMO NYC or The Chemical Guys as it will help to reduce the spots.
3.) Make sure you have clay barred the car correctly, applied a base coat wax then wipe clean, applied a sealer wax then wipe clean, applied a 100% pure Carnuba wax then wipe clean, and then a detail spray then wipe clean.
4.) When you wash the car next time use a waffle towel when the paint is very wet and chase it with an edgeless double sided micro fiber towel to dry the left over moisture. Wring out the waffle towel and continue from top down and keep replacing the chasing micro fiber towel with another very dry one. Speed is your friend here so do it quickly.
5.) Do another application of the detail spray after the car is completely dry and your problems are solved.

If your spots remain you may need to use a mild compound on the spot but use your finger tip to rub it in so you don't use to much. You do not need to get the car detailed very likely. What I recommended is preventative as much as it resolves the issues. This is precisely how I keep my ride looking awesome. Hopefully this is helpful.
For black cars here is what I use in order:

1.) Chemical Guys CWS_107 Extreme Body Wash & Synthetic Wax - Car Wash Shampoo (1 Gal)
2.) Chemical Guys MIC_491 - Extra Thick Multi-fiber Microfiber Wash Mitt
3.) Chemical Guys CLY_109 - Clay Bar & Luber Synthetic Lubricant Kit, Light Duty
4.) Chemical Guys GAP_619_16 - Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish (16 oz)
5.) Chemical Guys WAC_103_16 - Pure Carnauba Creme Wax (16 oz)
6.) http://www.chemicalguys.com/Extreme_Slick_Synthetic_Detailer
7.) http://www.chemicalguys.cm/v/vspfiles/photos/TVD_107_16-2.jpg_16_oz_p/wac_116_16.htm
8.) Chemical Guys WAC_116_16 - Extreme Slick Synthetic Detailer (16 oz)

For grey cars I would exchange # 4 on my list with the item immediately below:
Chemical Guys GAP_111_16 - Extreme Shine EZ Creme Glaze (16 oz)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Too much......so many bottles....just visit www.zainobro.com
RLX-Sport Hybrid (04-30-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Smile Black Wax

I posted about Meguair's Black Wax over in the Wash & Wax forum - including pictures. Did not want to double post/attach the pics here so thought I wouldn mention in this semi-related thread that you can go to the post to see the results on my black RLX: https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wa.../#post15466441
Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
I posted about Meguair's Black Wax over in the Wash & Wax forum - including pictures. Did not want to double post/attach the pics here so thought I wouldn mention in this semi-related thread that you can go to the post to see the results on my black RLX: https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wa.../#post15466441
Wow! All i can say is that you guys got some skills!

Thank you for sharing!
TSX69 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Black is not a color, it is a commitment. Your black cars look absolutely fabulous.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by miner
Black is not a color, it is a commitment. Your black cars look absolutely fabulous.
More like a religious activity. It takes serious commitment and effort along with a belief system pre-programmed for OCD and OPOATD (Obsessive Pursuit Of Attention To Detail). That last one is a made up disorder which is a trait for any car junkie. I look at the reflective lines against my hand or the side of a building to see the end result of my work. I generate a great deal of satisfaction for my efforts. My kids play basket ball in the driveway while we listen to music and I polish the car. To say that in the rain the water beads is a joke. The water just falls off the car and is virtually dry using nothing other than my shop vac as a blower. Imagine a RainX sheen. The inside and under the hood are new car perfect too 90% of the time.