Turning the Page: RL > SH RLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts

Well it is done. The RL is now at the dealer awaiting its new owner. Papers signed and done for both cars. It was a melancholy experience. My last drive with the RL I chose some ramps and turns to light up SHAWD. I am confident the SH RLX will tickle me similarly, different and I hope I hold the same admiration as I do for the RL.

I have a 2016 PAWS RLX loaner for the next couple of days (a trainer ) Even the same color combo, but a 2016 Tech

The Sport Hybrid is arriving at the dealer tonight and once prepped and my accessories added, I should have it home by Friday. They plan to have me drive it tomorrow.

I'm already forming opinions of the RL vs RLX. Of course I will write up my typical longwinded review and compare of the two.

A few quick, random observations:

The RLX feels full size inside, the materials softer, smoother and hopefully as durable. I like the darker carpet as the light gray of my RL was a challenge to keep floor mats clean. Graystone is more a silver gray and less of the Taupe of the RL.

The RLX is supremely quieter. The suspension calmer (yet you do have Honda double wishbone feel and feel lane reflectors, manholes etc. It is not Lexus creamy and close to what I felt in the Audi I drove. Honda just has more tire thud / pop. I noted the tire psi was 36 on all corners. I would probably drop it 1-2 psi. Ride was well controlled without the tail bobbing I felt in the 2014 PAWS.

I cruised the bay cause way in evening traffic. I used ACC and LKAS and it was effortless. Both systems worked well and did not distract.

I found the touch screen fast and not at all lagging. I jumped through several audio interface screens, settings and mapped some presets all while driving. That seems sufficient for me. I know some criticize the playbook displays from phones , ipods, etc...but I rarely use them. I do want to test Pandora with my Windows Phone (I expect to be switching to Android when my contract renews in 2 weeks.) The HVAC controls all worked fine and I had no issues adjusting temp, vents, air intake, temps etc.

The Navi is newer than my RL. The screen is better resolution but I did see many crisper screens and graphics when I was shopping other brands. Still it is a step up from the RL Navi. I entered 3 different addressed in a single line voice command. Two presented in under 5 seconds. The third asked for a confirmation on the Street Name. Good for me, so far.

The voice commands will be a learning curve. Some native to the RL did not work on the RLX and prompts were offered. One reason is the feature mapping and voice pathways are different, mostly because of additional features in the car. The other reason is voice command is needed to make some entries made while in motion.

The steering wheel controls are also different, but they do much more and within my 45 minute drive had most of them figured out. I think I like them more. I did not pair my phone but the integration of HFL on the RL seems archaic now. (I spent my drive over to the dealership deleting the RLs HFL phonebook voice tags.... UGH.)

In many ways it feels like an organic progression from the RL (and it should). Yet there is enough new and added to have that new car experience. Driving was second nature, although I found the throttle heavier to tip in, steering lighter but exact and it feels 'taller'. I think that is due to the more upright hood / front end where the RL was glass and road. Brakes felt similar with that smooth brake assist. I know I will have some adjusting with the SH regen brakes.

And last (for today) I got several lookers on the commute home. A last gen TL chased me and tucked in behind me for the cruise across the bay. I had an older Maxima jockeying beside me and he seemed fixated on the jewel eyes.

I am about to get excited. It has been a long journey and too often frustrating. When appropriate I may be able to share some of what took place to make this car happen for me.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-07-2015 at 06:36 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (07-07-2015), DASS (07-08-2015), fsmith (07-08-2015), hondamore (07-07-2015), JKBCo (02-08-2016), lumpulus (07-07-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-07-2015), MSW 6SP (07-10-2015), neuronbob (07-07-2015), oo7spy (07-14-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-07-2015), sri_gondi (01-04-2016), teh CL (07-09-2015), wstr75 (07-07-2015) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I'm so happy for you! You are going to love it! I still get a kick every time I'm behind the wheel. I had to jackrabbit the throttle to get through an intersection this afternoon as the light turned yellow, and almost ran into the car in front of me because the throttle response is so strong. Watch yourself when you do that for the first time. Experiment with eco and sport modes gassing it as well as rolling into the throttle. I think you will like the latter. It is so easy to end up going much faster than you are expecting and because it is so smooth and quiet with little rpm changes (EV mode assist), that is the part that is so cool. I can't wait for you to drive it! Welcome to the SH family!
The following users liked this post:
sri_gondi (01-04-2016)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A salute to TampaRL's RL

My favorite TampaRL post ever:

Originally Posted by TampaRL
On my daily commute there is a 2 lane sharp left curve under an overpass (bounded by a concrete retaining wall).

As time has progressed with my RL, I have been taking this turn with little or no braking as the SHAWD glides the RL through this turn. The suggested caution speed sign for the curve is 25mph along with a flashing amber light.

I have taken this turn at 55mph as it is an off ramp of the expressway. It did not even squeal the RLs OEM Michelins.

Today I had someone in a current Gen TL on my tail much of the expressway. I was traveling at 55mph in a 50 mph post and was not in the left lane. Even after moving a lane to the right, the TL moved behind me and up my butt.

I proceeded off the expressway onto the left lane exit. Again the TL's nose and hood were not visible in my rear view mirror. I stayed in the right lane of the 2 lane offramp and into the sharp left turn. This time I was down to 45mph as I entered the turn. The TL was right on my butt still.

I glided into the turn and accelerated out without touching the brakes, the RL was unflappable. But I guess my TL stalker assumed he need not brake either and the FWD plow of the TL took him into the concrete retaining wall which he shredded the passenger side of the TL, ripping off both the front and rear bumper facias. In my review mirror I saw plastic shrapnel and sparks flying.

I immediately pulled into a side lot and walked back to the TL driver. He was OK, on the phone already and avoided eye contact with me. I tapped on the driver window and asked if he was OK while holding back a 'you are a jackass' lecture.
He nodded and waved me off...seemingly embarassed.

Thankfully no one was hurt, but a pity the TL suffered for the idiot driver. As much as I wanted to ask him if he would follow me off a cliff, I have to admit that a smile was on my face when I got back into my RL.

Just another example as how subtly the RL sets a high bar.
Posted in 2007. Still ROFLing 7 1/2 years later. Can't wait to read a similar post with the Sport Hybrid.

Full thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...xample-500489/

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-07-2015 at 07:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
HeartTLs (01-27-2016), JKBCo (02-08-2016), wstr75 (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Congratulations!!!

I will also look forward to your comparison of the PAWS to the Sport Hybrid as well as your long term review of the Sport Hybrid. Your are in for a wonderful new driving experience. Most of us found it a better experience but everyone did find it unique.

Post often and fully. I have come to find your posts insightful and interesting and look forward to your take on the car and some of the new toys that found there way into the 2016s.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Hold your breath, TampaRL. And after Friday, watch your speed. Enjoy and welcome!.I loved my '06 RL, but it turns out it was just a car. My RLX SH-AWD, on the other hand, is an experience! Sounds corny, but you'll see. Eight months in and I'm still thinking it's the best car I've ever owned and I look forward to every road trip.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I get it fsmith. The RL was a visceral experience so few got to experience.

It has been 17 months since I got to experience the SH RLX alongside the PAWS RLX at the Acura Demo I was invited. But that is a long time to recall the experience other than the conclusions I made (and posted here in March of 2014).

Frankly, it has been a bit unnerving to give up the RL before actually driving the SH again. The original delivery plan allowed me to drive it (and potentially walk away) with enough time to cancel the sale with the RL buyer (who is a friend aware of these conditions).

But the delay was not announced until my friend and wife bought airline tickets and I could not ask them to delay and pay fees at that point. I could not do that to them. So I was committed to the RL sale at that point.

Truthfully, the members here who went from the RL to the SH RLX have keenly influenced my decision to move forward and make that leap of faith. I also got earfuls from Acura engineers that was generous, but again, they work for the brand, what would you expect. Last my dealer never locked me down on the transaction, no pressure and some amazing concessions to make this all possible (some I may share once all settled and done).

I know I vented much frustration on the board, and I think there are things Acura must improve upon. And like holographique, I paused from posting at times so not to pollute the positive experience some enjoy. Those who had posted encouragement did not go unnoticed.

So for that, I thank the SH owner views on the forum, especially the RL > SH RLX 'Betas'. In my book you are all Alphas.

Just texted from my Acura Service Manager (as I write this post).
The unicorn lives:

Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-v__88e5.jpg

Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-20150708_085215.jpg

Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-20150708_085232.jpg

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-08-2015 at 08:12 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (07-08-2015), crxb (07-08-2015), hondamore (07-08-2015), miner (07-08-2015), neuronbob (07-08-2015), pgeorg (07-08-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-08-2015), sri_gondi (01-04-2016), TSX69 (07-08-2015), wstr75 (07-08-2015) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I get it fsmith. The RL was a visceral experience so few got to experience.

It has been 17 months since I got to experience the SH RLX alongside the PAWS RLX at the Acura Demo I was invited. But that is a long time to recall the experience other than the conclusions I made (and posted here in March of 2014).

Frankly, it has been a bit unnerving to give up the RL before actually driving the SH again. The original delivery plan allowed me to drive it (and potentially walk away) with enough time to cancel the sale with the RL buyer (who is a friend aware of these conditions).

But the delay was not announced until my friend and wife bought airline tickets and I could not ask them to delay and pay fees at that point. I could not do that to them. So I was committed to the RL sale at that point.

Truthfully, the members here who went from the RL to the SH RLX have keenly influenced my decision to move forward and make that leap of faith. I also got earfuls from Acura engineers that was generous, but again, they work for the brand, what would you expect. Last my dealer never locked me down on the transaction, no pressure and some amazing concessions to make this all possible (some I may share once all settled and done).

I know I vented much frustration on the board, and I think there are things Acura must improve upon. And like holographique, I paused from posting at times so not to pollute the positive experience some enjoy. Those who had posted encouragement did not go unnoticed.

So for that, I thank the SH owner views on the forum, especially the RL > SH RLX 'Betas'. In my book you are all Alphas.

Just texted from my Acura Service Manager (as I write this post).
The unicorn lives:

Attachment 30632

Attachment 30633

Attachment 30634
Congrats! You can let yourself get excited now, TampaRL....:-)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Pro

It has been 17 months since I got to experience the SH RLX alongside the PAWS RLX at the Acura Demo I was invited. But that is a long time to recall the experience other than the conclusions I made (and posted here in March of 2014.
BTW, TampaRL, the car you drove was likely a pre-production demo, which had several glitches pointed out by the reviewers who got to drive the car in CA at the end of 2013 (e.g. way-too-grabby brakes, delay in going into reverse, etc.), all of which seem to have been fixed in the production car. I know this because I made a list of all those complaints I read about to check against the test drive of my car last November (I had a long time to wait!). My point is that however you remember your test ride, it's only better than it was then.

Last edited by fsmith; 07-08-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

At least they are HAND washing your car in those pix. If they were putting it through a machine with brushes......
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
At least they are HAND washing your car in those pix. If they were putting it through a machine with brushes......
They know me too well.
RL09 (11-05-2016)
Old 07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Congrats! You have one amazing car.

I have the 2014 P-AWS, and actually, despite the bad experience many of my counterparts have had, my experience has been quite nice.

However, I wish I had done my homework just a little bit more and purchased the SH-AWD. I almost want to trade in my 2014 P-AWS, and just go for it, but being married to lovely wife is important to me so I'll be happy with what I have.
wstr75 (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by DASS
just go for it, but being married to lovely wife is important to me so I'll be happy with what I have.
Meaning your wife?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Just home from my drive with my SH RLX.

For those of you who do not appreciate my long winded posts, I will give you two words.

WOW & MINE.

Now for those of you care, a few more random observations and updates.

I have now driven the RL, 2016 PAWS RLX Tech and my 2016 SH RLX Advance all within 24 hours.

These are each distinctly different cars. I will focus on the RLXs. As mentioned the 2016 PAWS has a calmer suspension. But then I drove the SH. It is a very different animal. Very. It has been 18 months since I was in a SH. It all came back to me. And as most all SH members here state, 2 blocks was all I needed.

I thought the PAWS Tech was quiet, the SH allows you to hear your heart race. And from what I can tell, the suspension is unchanged in the SH which was perfect. More sporty, more heavy car / buckled down feel and taught yet oddly better managing the harsher road imperfections. The PAWS feel light on the feet in comparison but less buckled down.

A few points to note. The dash and door top are NOT taupe as in the 2014 SH (except black interior). The dash top in my Graystone is black. It turned out to be a happy mistake for me. I had ordered the wood steering wheel as I felt the all black leather wheel stood out oddly to the taupe dash.
But the wood wheel accessory does not match the SH Chestnut wood trim. It is more orange burled walnut to match the PAWS wood trim. Second, the accessory wood wheel is NOT heated, which is now standard on Advance package RLXs. So why pay $1000 for a non matching wheel with less functionality? Now the black wheel makes sense with the black dash top. A happy mistake, but perhaps a future offering may be made if they make more than a couple hundred cars.

The other accessory snafu was the trunk tray. Do not some of you 2014 Betas have the trunk tray? I though Bob's pics had one. If so, they must have run out and not made more, especially since they are embossed 'RLX' and not generic with LEGENDs. So for now I get a trunk carpet mat and if one comes available I will get the trunk tray.

The 4 door illuminated door sills are very cool. They are now offered for all 4 doors.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 360 camera and it's many views. Front view when parking, 360 view, side views (great to avoid curbing), rear views and also integrated with side radar alert (cross traffic front and rear). You can select and toggle from the lighting stalk with the end cap button, you now get a dedicated button on the command knob paned and toggle with the command knob. Nice redundancy.

LOVE the HUD, nothing new to report here.

LOVE the Krell system. Has better clarity on the mids and highs than the Bose (which I loved) and some more depth and bass of the ELS. Really the best of both IMHO.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the ventilated seats. How did I ever live without them?

I got more into the infotainment interfaces. Still I see non of the lags, freezes or buggyness I saw in the 2014s I tested. Screen responses were crisp / instant and what VCs I made correctly responded well. I will look up then flash version when I get the car home.

Regen brakes were a non issue with the pedal. I found the pedal as smooth as a PAWS. I suspect they have refined the pedal feel as I remember the pedal being grabby at first. When coasting I can feel the regen working. It has a slight lugging feel like it is downshifting or engine braking, but very subtle. The PAWS model coasting feels like zero rolling resistance in comparison. I only determined it was going on when I saw the regen on the Power Distribution Display synched with the sensation I noticed.

Start/Stop. When the car is still and the ICU kicks over you do feel it but is much smoother than my Bro-In-Laws Lexus 400h. However the engine start stop when the car is in motion was transparent. If my eye did not catch the tack dropping and jumping I would not have know it was happening.

Tranny. Wow. Smooth, quick and makes the paddle shifters worth using. I was used to my RL's Stomp>wait>launch of thrust with the very smooth but slow to downshift 5 speed. It also is much faster to react than the PAWS, which seems tuned for a more leisurely / luxury feel. Stomping the throttle had less lag, but shifting was not as slick as the SH.

Seats, Very comfortable and feel as comfy as the RLs. But the RL headrests on 2005-2008 models was supremely comfortable. I will miss them.

More to come as I take it home on Friday. I can then check the new features and share my observations. Tomorrow the window tint will be done, the spare tire kit is due to arrive and the mud guards, bumper film, wheel locks and aforementioned illuminated door sills already done.

I held off on the extended warranty as the prices are fixed in Florida, no matter who you buy from and I want to research if the 100K / 10yr Battery module is excluded? I know I just need to acquire an extended AcuraCare warranty before the Factory Warranty expires. By then I will know if this is another 10 year car.

NOW I am ready.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (07-08-2015), fsmith (07-09-2015), hondamore (07-08-2015), JonFo (07-13-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-08-2015), miner (07-09-2015), My_1st_Ac (02-20-2016), pgeorg (07-09-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-08-2015), wstr75 (07-08-2015) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just threw up and started spitting blood.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

To TampaRL, I have two words that encompass the opinion of the beta testers:

Told ya.

Again, welcome aboard!

PS: jealous of the 360 degree view. Do you remember those of us advocating for that when it was offered in the Japanese Legend a few years ago?
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
fsmith (07-09-2015), hondamore (07-08-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Tampa, Congratulations and many happy miles and years in your new RLX.

Question, are the ventilated seats in the latest RLX just the seat bottom, or the seat back and bottom? I have a 2012 RL and it is just the seat bottom, not backs as most cars do with ventilated or a/c seats.

Can I be 1st in line to buy your RLX, say in 3 years?

Ed
TampaRLX-SH (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
Tampa, Congratulations and many happy miles and years in your new RLX.

Question, are the ventilated seats in the latest RLX just the seat bottom, or the seat back and bottom? I have a 2012 RL and it is just the seat bottom, not backs as most cars do with ventilated or a/c seats.

Can I be 1st in line to buy your RLX, say in 3 years?

Ed
You can have mine when air no longer fills my lungs.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Seat bottom and back are ventilated. Or so says the diagram in my 2014 owner's manual.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
You can have mine when air no longer fills my lungs.
Careful....that can be arranged.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Seat bottom and back are ventilated. Or so says the diagram in my 2014 owner's manual.
yes. Today was typical Florida 4000% humidity.

It was ooooh,,,,ahhhh,,,,,wonderful. How nice to get out of a car without peeling yourself from the seat.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Careful....that can be arranged.
Don't you know that Tony Soprano is/was a close friend of the "family"? Bada Bing, Bada Boom
TampaRLX-SH (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Pro

Just home from my drive with my SH RLX.

For those of you who do not appreciate my long winded posts, I will give you two words.

WOW & MINE.

I got more into the infotainment interfaces. Still I see non of the lags, freezes or buggyness I saw in the 2014s I tested. Screen responses were crisp / instant and what VCs I made correctly responded well. I will look up then flash version when I get the car home.

I held off on the extended warranty as the prices are fixed in Florida, no matter who you buy from and I want to research if the 100K / 10yr Battery module is excluded? I know I just need to acquire an extended AcuraCare warranty before the Factory Warranty expires. By then I will know if this is another 10 year car.

NOW I am ready.
I am glad to hear that the infotainment system is responding better than what I have. Only wish Acura made it possible to upgrade the system the early adapters have [both PAWS and SH]. I have learned to live with it....it isn't terrible just not first class as it should be in a flagship car. Glad the rest of my car makes up for it.

Just a brief comment on extended warranties. I got one because I tend to keep a car for a long time....my RL was 10 years and 125,000 miles. I plan to keep this baby at least that long. I bought an Acura factory one, with 0 deductible, 100,000 miles and 8 years. I learned quite a bit about how to buy one. You can buy an extended warranty from any Acura dealer.....you don't have to go to where you bought the car. Also, since it is nothing but a piece of paper, you never need to physically visit the dealership. I bought mine when I picked up my car but only after calling a number of So Calif. dealers to price it. I paid around $2150 for it....the "list price" was $2,700 but I got one quote over list. I got a low quote from a dealer 100 miles away and simply asked my local dealer to match the price. They did. I found the best way is to call the dealership and ask for the Finance Manager and negotiate with him/her. Surprisingly, I found out that the extended warranty was the same price for the PAWS and the SH. The drawback in waiting a few years to buy the warranty is that Acura could raise the price from what it is today.

Lastly, I did not get a trunk tray...not my thing.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I am glad to hear that the infotainment system is responding better than what I have. Only wish Acura made it possible to upgrade the system the early adapters have [both PAWS and SH]. I have learned to live with it....it isn't terrible just not first class as it should be in a flagship car. Glad the rest of my car makes up for it.

Just a brief comment on extended warranties. I got one because I tend to keep a car for a long time....my RL was 10 years and 125,000 miles. I plan to keep this baby at least that long. I bought an Acura factory one, with 0 deductible, 100,000 miles and 8 years. I learned quite a bit about how to buy one. You can buy an extended warranty from any Acura dealer.....you don't have to go to where you bought the car. Also, since it is nothing but a piece of paper, you never need to physically visit the dealership. I bought mine when I picked up my car but only after calling a number of So Calif. dealers to price it. I paid around $2150 for it....the "list price" was $2,700 but I got one quote over list. I got a low quote from a dealer 100 miles away and simply asked my local dealer to match the price. They did. I found the best way is to call the dealership and ask for the Finance Manager and negotiate with him/her. Surprisingly, I found out that the extended warranty was the same price for the PAWS and the SH. The drawback in waiting a few years to buy the warranty is that Acura could raise the price from what it is today.

Lastly, I did not get a trunk tray...not my thing.
This is not true for people who buy Acura cars in Florida. I checked this out, once another dealer finds out the car is registered in Fl they will tell you they are not allowed to sell their warranties, as directed by Acura. i am sure TampaRL, like myself who live in Florida is aware of this lousy situation. Either way this is off the topic for this post.

Tampa
Congrats on the new car and enjoy
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Congrats TampaRL!!!

I started to write congratulatory posts several times in the last few days, but, based on your long wait and recent delay, I didn't want to jinx anything.

If it is possible to see a smile being typed over the internet, I believe your post just accomplished the feat beautifully. ENJOY!!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Forgot to mention, yes, TampaRL, I do have the trunk tray. Since I paid nearly MSRP, I got many accessories as part of the deal, including that. It indeed says "RLX". You might try one of the online vendors if your dealer could not source one.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by woropallo
This is not true for people who buy Acura cars in Florida. I checked this out, once another dealer finds out the car is registered in Fl they will tell you they are not allowed to sell their warranties, as directed by Acura. i am sure TampaRL, like myself who live in Florida is aware of this lousy situation. Either way this is off the topic for this post.

Tampa
Congrats on the new car and enjoy
Indeed. This has been discussed in the other forums on AZ but Florida regulations only permit FL licensed vendors to sell warranties in FL. As a result the prices are fixed no matter what vendor you choose to purchase from. It is a FL regulation, not specifically Acura.

FWIW an extended warranty for the RLX, 100K miles, 10 year, $0 deductible was near $4K.

I chose to wait as I have several years on the manufacturer warranty where I can purchase an extended Acura Care warranty. The price will go up slightly and likely a deductible will be needed (my RL policy was $100). But I can do more with that $4k in 4 years that will make up the difference and then some rather than let the warranty provider float on my cash.

I am curious however, for those SH owners who chose an Acura Care extended warranty, does it cover the battery module? I believe that is warranted for 10yr 100k miles already?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Forgot to mention, yes, TampaRL, I do have the trunk tray. Since I paid nearly MSRP, I got many accessories as part of the deal, including that. It indeed says "RLX". You might try one of the online vendors if your dealer could not source one.
I thought so. They must be out of stock at the moment. I will shop our AZ vendors for when it becomes available. I think I can handle that install.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:37 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by hondamore
Congrats TampaRL!!!

I started to write congratulatory posts several times in the last few days, but, based on your long wait and recent delay, I didn't want to jinx anything.

If it is possible to see a smile being typed over the internet, I believe your post just accomplished the feat beautifully. ENJOY!!
Thank You hondamore.

I too have held back as it seemed there was no shortage of curve balls. But now that the paperwork is done, title transferred and my tag is on it, it is really mine and legal. Just the window tint, detail, and 1 accessory arriving tomorrow so I can bring it home.

I am meeting with Acura leadership tomorrow who are traveling to my dealer and asked to meet me when I take my actual delivery. It is the least I can do considering all the effort that was made to get this car to me, speed bumps and all. It will be interesting as to what topics they wish to address on this experience.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Thank You hondamore.

I too have held back as it seemed there was no shortage of curve balls. But now that the paperwork is done, title transferred and my tag is on it, it is really mine and legal. Just the window tint, detail, and 1 accessory arriving tomorrow so I can bring it home.

I am meeting with Acura leadership tomorrow who are traveling to my dealer and asked to meet me when I take my actual delivery. It is the least I can do considering all the effort that was made to get this car to me, speed bumps and all. It will be interesting as to what topics they wish to address on this experience.
Maybe you could put in a good word for the REAL alpha testers.....2014 PAWS owners from the first batch run....

I'd be in a 2016 Hybrid in a heartbeat and more than happy to share my experiences with Acura on the vehicle if it werent for the horrendous residual value of the 2014 PAWS that prevents me from trading up early without takin a raking over the coals. And that can only be blamed on them for the poor job done on the 2014 PAWS.

They owe it to the REAL alpha testers. They need to be aware of some of the loyal customer base they are potentially losing because of their inactions to do anything about the 2014 mess.

Last edited by holografique; 07-09-2015 at 06:57 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by holografique:
2011TL (07-09-2015), hadokenuh (07-13-2015), hondamore (07-09-2015), miner (07-09-2015), neuronbob (07-09-2015), NWRL (07-09-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-09-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Pro

TampaRL - I am delighted that you are not disappointed. I smiled broadly when I read your post. (I thought to myself "told ya so", but unlike Bob I wouldn't say that - sorry, Bob). It seems that everyone who gets in that car feels the same way. Amazing.

The Acura extended warranty does not cover the battery pack, which is separately covered by the standard factory warranty for 8 years, 100,000 miles (as I remember though I am out of town so can't check). I believe that we have determined in this forum that the battery warranty varies by state.

Happy motoring, man.
neuronbob (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

The way I see it: the 2014 and 2016 Hybrids are "better" vehicles as a result of the year and half delay between the PAWS and Hybrid release whereby they were able to learn from the early issues.
wstr75 (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by holografique
The way I see it: the 2014 and 2016 Hybrids are "better" vehicles as a result of the year and half delay between the PAWS and Hybrid release whereby they were able to learn from the early issues.
No doubt of that whatsoever. They got the most important parts of the Hybrid right. If only they would fix the infotainment system, though, which ALL 2014 RLXs are afflicted with......

And yes, we must give props to the alpha testers......

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-09-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by holografique
I'm not sure the delay would have helped the PAWS version since it seems the issue was more likely associated with the drive train [software] than anything to do with the suspension. The Sport Hybrid shares quite a few of the same TSBs as the PAWS that were not corrected during the long delay. My assumption is that the software fix is much easier to implement than retooling the suspension which they have now apparently done.

BTW - thanks for coming back. I think we all learn a great deal from your posts and empathize with you for your problems. I, for one, just feel lucky since as the first beta tester I made a leap of faith on a whole bunch of new technology.....I just got lucky. It is not something I would normally do, especially with an expenditure of this size but the combination of 18 months of anticipation, a stellar test drive and the door handle of my RL literally coming off in my hand led me to quickly pull the trigger on a SH. Just dumb luck.
fsmith (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by fsmith
Happy motoring, man.
Thanks fsmith. Should we not update the expression to 'Happy Sport Hybrid-ing'?
fsmith (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsmith
TampaRL - I am delighted that you are not disappointed. I smiled broadly when I read your post. (I thought to myself "told ya so", but unlike Bob I wouldn't say that - sorry, Bob). It seems that everyone who gets in that car feels the same way. Amazing.

The Acura extended warranty does not cover the battery pack, which is separately covered by the standard factory warranty for 8 years, 100,000 miles (as I remember though I am out of town so can't check). I believe that we have determined in this forum that the battery warranty varies by state.

Happy motoring, man.
TampaRL - A followup about the battery warranty now that I am back home. The regular warranty on the battery is indeed 8 years/100,000 miles, but that is in everyone's warranty book, and not on the Acura website, leading people to believe that it varies by state. So that part is clear and you can look at your book to check it.

The AcuraCare Extended Warranty that I bought is for 8 years/120,000 miles, with no deductible. It is bumper to bumper, covering everything in the original warranty. But in the section "What is not covered", it lists "battery (except for the nickel/metal hydride battery in hybrid vehicles)". This suggests that hybrid batteries are covered (not excluded) except for the fact that the SH-AWD hybrid battery is Lithium Ion. Does that mean that the hybrid battery is covered and they haven't updated their warranty document, or that the Lithium Ion battery is not covered under the extended warranty? Haven't a clue.

So the hybrid battery is covered for 8 years and either 100,000 miles under the factory warranty or 120,000 miles under the extended warranty. Perhaps others may know better what this all means.
TampaRLX-SH (07-09-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

"Happy (Belated) B'Day to Me"

For last two Birthdays I planned to put the RLX Sport Hybrid in my garage.

This year, if belated, I got my wish.

It is home, tucked in and most all settings done to my preferences. I am again amazed & reminded how very different this car is to the PAWS model. It was a very valuable experience to have the PAWS car for a few days. Not only did it help my emotional transition from the RL, but it also brought into acute focus how brilliant this car is. Not only were you all correct that the '2Block Test' is all one needs, but a day with this car makes it clear to me that THIS car was the car to replace my RL. I already feel that organic / visceral connection that I had with the RL.

It has been quite a day. And I have expressed much of the issues our community has been debating since the RLX concept launch. I hope I represented well. I cannot tell you what will be done with it, but I can tell you I was listened to....carefully. I have a call early next week to continue.

I must say, aligning with a good dealership relationship is nothing to take lightly. Without my dealer, and GM specifically I would NOT have this car right now and NOT be an Acura customer at this point. I was touched how everyone at the dealership celebrated this car with me and made it known how long I pursued it. I will take that over a cappuccino bar, movie theater or massage therapist available at the dealer.

I also owe many of you thanks for your support, opinions and tolerance when I was frustrated. I share my cake with you all.

I did snap the system version to see if it is the same. In setting up my stations, addresses, etc. I found the interface on point, fast and not clunky as was my previous experience on earlier models. Yes, I would design the UI screen flows a little different, but so far I am good with it as is. I am sure time will find my peeves, but I have learned no product can be all things to all people. Finding MY sweet spot is all that matters to my wallet.

So whoever coined the expression, for now I will 'SHUT UP AND DRIVE!'
Attached Thumbnails Turning the Page:  RL > SH RLX-wp_20150710_005.jpg  

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 07-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (07-10-2015), fsmith (07-10-2015), hondamore (07-10-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-10-2015), pgeorg (07-11-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-10-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, in breaking my silence one last time (yes, I am serious in not posting here anymore till I get out of this 2014 PAWS mess)...

a) you have exactly the color and model Hybrid I would want. Enjoy it.

b) thank you for being the "spokesperson" of the forum to whomever at Acura management you had the opportunity to speak with today. I sincerely hope they listened and take to heart where they sorely missed the mark and need to improve. At the end of the day, if they want to charge $60k and up for a car, then they need to start acting like a company that can deliver on that type of price tag, in all aspects, not just the product, but in the overall "customer experience".

Enjoy the Hybrid.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Tampa RL,
A word of warning... After you drive the Sport Hybrid for few weeks and have an absolute blast, you may discover the trip computer and become cognizant of the unbelievably good gas mileage you've been getting while having said blast ...leading to a diagnosable condition in which you will find if difficult to NOT be driving your car.

Some sufferers of this condition actually wash their car nearly every day just to be close to it. Others circle around to the same freeway off ramp over and over and over again just to feel the handling of their Sport Hybrid. Many of those inflicted find that their facial muscles become strained from smiling all day long.

The bottom line... Please enjoy your new RLX Sport Hybrid, but just be aware of the consequences.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
DASS (07-10-2015), fsmith (07-10-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-10-2015), TampaRLX-SH (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Pro

Yeah!!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Pro

Tampa - Are you saying that the 2016 Sport Hybrid UI is faster and smoother than the PAWS UI? This is something many of us have been hoping to get in a software update. Your NAV Software at ver. 1.01.2301 is definitely newer than our 2014 version which is 1.00.2b05.

Last edited by fsmith; 07-10-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Turning the Page: RL > SH RLX