Sport Hybrid Training (20 Days of RLX)*LINK DEAD, use owners.acura.com*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Sport Hybrid Training (20 Days of RLX)*LINK DEAD, use owners.acura.com*

(link dead) 20 Days of RLX Emails

While not technically detailed, it's interesting!

Moderator edit, neuronbob 9/19/15:The RLX Training Tour site has been removed. Similar informational pdfs and videos are available at owners.acura.com . Go there, log in (make a user name if you don't have a login), enter your VIN, and you will see a link titled "instructional guides and videos". Click it to find a long list of RLX-related topics including some of the videos that were on rlxtrainingtour.com.

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-19-2015 at 01:18 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by George Knighton:
cyler (11-04-2014), hondamore (11-04-2014), Malibu Flyer (11-04-2014), neuronbob (11-04-2014), pgeorg (09-19-2015), victorber (11-04-2014), Zoommer (11-04-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Great find, it really shows when they realized it wasn't going to ship on time. They just wrapped up a similar "Power of X" email campaign for the TLX too.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Great find, it really shows when they realized it wasn't going to ship on time.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Nice little intro to those who haven't dug into the statistics for this car yet.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Grabby Brakes......

Originally Posted by George Knighton
20 Days of RLX Emails

While not technically detailed, it's interesting!
Thanks for this post. I think it confirms my thoughts that what I thought was grabby brakes was the two gear downshift mentioned in the Day 6 video. It indicates that in "sport mode" the transmission does a two gear downshift. This made it seem to me like the brakes were braking more than was based on the force on the brake pedal. Instead it is the car downshifting by two gears [from 5th gear to 3rd gear] and using the engine to add additional braking.

I also learned about "car wash mode" which I didn't know about although the low skill workers who drive the car into the car wash tunnel will never understand how to put this into effect. Of well, at least i know it is there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
pgeorg (09-19-2015), Zoommer (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
Thanks for this post. I think it confirms my thoughts that what I thought was grabby brakes was the two gear downshift mentioned in the Day 6 video. It indicates that in "sport mode" the transmission does a two gear downshift. This made it seem to me like the brakes were braking more than was based on the force on the brake pedal. Instead it is the car downshifting by two gears [from 5th gear to 3rd gear] and using the engine to add additional braking.

I also learned about "car wash mode" which I didn't know about although the low skill workers who drive the car into the car wash tunnel will never understand how to put this into effect. Of well, at least i know it is there.
The sport mode is all of the trimmings and some. Had it in sport mode around town and the gearing is designed to give max power and torque....almost too much of lower gear hold....but then again I can see why Acura may have done it to keep to the sport moniker. I agree with you that the two gear downshift with braking will result in some very strong pull of the seatbelt. Learned it while trying the car in the parking lot. The subtle and not so subtle tug of the seatbelt is another feature I like a lot in the car.
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (09-19-2015)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I didn't see this mentioned in any of the emails, was it in one of the videos?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The car wash mode is mentioned in the video attached to Day #6.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Stickied. I think new Sport Hybrid owners (i.e. all four of us here now and, hopefully, many future ones) will appreciate the knowledge. I'm not on call this weekend, so I will be curled up in my recliner watching these videos.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Stickied. I think new Sport Hybrid owners (i.e. all four of us here now and, hopefully, many future ones) will appreciate the knowledge. I'm not on call this weekend, so I will be curled up in my recliner watching these videos.
in case you get bored [which i doubt you will] you can always crack open the 500+ page manual. There will be a pop quiz next week.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Funny you mention that. That's exactly my plan today. . I plan to learn how to use the infotainment system and navi today. So far, it is surprisingly intuitive with multiple ways and a few hard buttons to duplicate functions. Still a little confused about the dual screens but I'll get that figured out today. Further, I have to figure out how to activate Acuralink.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Funny you mention that. That's exactly my plan today. . I plan to learn how to use the infotainment system and navi today.
The voice commands drive me up the wall. The car's internal system does not seem to be attuned to my hybrid accent or something.

You also have to remember to use the voice command to switch to the right main menu before you try to use a voice command that's only known to that menu.

You have to remember to say, "Show the map" if you are going to be using a voice command associated with the map, much of the time.

Much of the time, but not all of the time. You're best off just remembering to switch to the NAV, PHONE, INFO or AUDIO menu before giving a command associated with that menu, just in case it's a command not know to the previous menu.

It was the same with both RLX. I don't think they did a perfect job with that.

Sometimes I'll resort to "Hey SIRI!" and let the iPhone do what I want, because the iPhone voice commands work a little better for me. A little. But sometimes I'll also have to change my accent even for SIRI.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've pretty much resorted to sending my new locations to the car using the Acuralink app on the iPhone. I pull up what I need via Siri or Google Maps, copy the address, and paste it into the search field in the map of the Acuralink app. It immediately sends it to the car over the air and within seconds pops up as a prompt on the NAV screen to accept the new directions.

The voice recognition is spotty at best. When it works, it works damn well, but when it doesn't, it can be a frustrating venture into the world of futility.

And I still don't understand why in the living hell they let you manually scroll through some lists while driving, but then force you to use the "next" or "show more" voice command for other lists....grrrrrrrrr....they need to hire new UI programmers...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by holografique
I've pretty much resorted to sending my new locations to the car using the Acuralink app on the iPhone.
If you have access to those services on the application, then you must be subscribing to the AcuraLink services that allow you to connect to the server and to a human representative when necessary.

How do those services work for you?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Have any of you hybrid owners tried to get anything serious into the trunk. By serious, I mean golf clubs.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
The link in the original post no longer works. Is there another place that these are posted?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 AM
Senior Moderator

It's too bad Acura took that site down! Will edit original post to reflect the change.

Similar information and videos are at owners.acura.com . Go there, log in (make a user name if you don't have a login), enter your VIN, and you will see a link titled "instructional guides and videos". Click it to find a long list of RLX-related topics. The videos are super-helpful.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
If you have access to those services on the application, then you must be subscribing to the AcuraLink services that allow you to connect to the server and to a human representative when necessary.

How do those services work for you?
They've worked very well since day one. I downgraded to the level below the one that includes the concierge but still allows integration with the Acuralink app.

Honestly, it is the only way I've been able to tolerate the slowness of the NAV system. Otherwise, trying to type in locations, etc is just too painful.