Some 2016 Suspension change details

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts

I received my copy of the Canadian version of the Acura Expressions magazine today and it included the following description of the suspension changes in the 2016 RLX...
"Front and rear shock absorbers enjoy an increase in piston-rod diameter along with decreased front and rear spring rates and shock absorber damping force."

Sounds like they've softened things up a bit in response to the "harsh ride" criticisms of the early PAWS owners.

Other changes noted for the Canadian models include the addition of the AcuraWatch group of safety features (previously discussed), and "a newly added streaming audio interface which includes an expanded range of infotainment and connectivity (mainly based on smart phone integration)."

Simply FYI.
The following 4 users liked this post by hondamore:
George Knighton (07-06-2015), Malibu Flyer (07-06-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (07-06-2015), victorber (07-17-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
I will be curious to see if there are any changes in the Hybrid suspension. I hope they haven't softened it up. I like the ride just the way it is in my 2014.

Others have speculated that the suspension in the PAWS was really designed for the Sport Hybrid and most of us beta testers like the suspension the way it is.
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I will be curious to see if there are any changes in the Hybrid suspension. I hope they haven't softened it up. I like the ride just the way it is in my 2014.

Others have speculated that the suspension in the PAWS was really designed for the Sport Hybrid and most of us beta testers like the suspension the way it is.
I would not want a softer suspension. Variable, yes.
victorber (07-17-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts

This Hybrid lesee also says "hands off my suspension", it's just right. PAWS definitely needed a change.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
I would not want a softer suspension. Variable, yes.
Acura's venture into adjustable shocks with the MDX was more of an issue than a selling point. It had to be redone numerous times, plus the shocks are $400 for each rear one and almost $1K for the front, each!

I'm trying to retrofit some regular shocks on the X with 110K around the 150K mark. These adaptive shocks def. have a much shorter lifespan.

BMW def. knows how to make a suspension. My 760 felt like a 535i when driving it hard.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Acura's venture into adjustable shocks with the MDX was more of an issue than a selling point.
I never knew that!

My only experience with adjustable shocks on an Acura was the ZDX's two-setting magnetics, which I felt worked just about right.

I've always wondered why they didn't go further with that experiment, and maybe the MDX's issues is why they haven't.

I'm not quite as effusive in my praise of the Sport Hybrid's suspension as the other drivers seem to be.

There are occasional rare moments in extreme performance situations that the front and rear seem to be working against each other, but this could be the result of the 75 HP on the rear wheels trying to get the front to do something that it's not exactly, precisely read to do, yet. It's just a very short but perceivable ⅛ s worry.

In higher performance situations it handles road vagaries quite well, generally speaking. It can handle small pot holes at high speeds, and it can bounce off corner gaters about as well as any big Mercedes. It's certainly better than a police package Taurus.

But I'm not willing to call it perfect, exactly.

There are times that you realize that you're in a big heavy car that just happens to have enough power to do what you want.

And there are other times that you realize that you are in a car that's relatively cheap compared to the Bentley Coupe in front of you, but that's just the way it goes.

Certainly, for the money, it's an amazing vehicle. Huge amounts of HP, very good fuel economy and handling, and odds are it's going to last a couple of hundred thousand miles while providing reasonable comfort for four adults on a long road trip.

I took a trip with four adults in the car, from the DC area to the centre of Florida, and back again, and it was pretty damned comfortable. :-)

But, sometimes, when I read the potentially overly effusive praise of the suspension, I step back a little and wonder what other cars people are driving.

I don't want to sound like it's not great, because it is. But there are so many better, I just step back, sometimes.

:-)

Last edited by George Knighton; 07-11-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
George, don't forget that you have more track experience than most people on this part of the board, you've set up your own suspensions, and you know how you like things set up. Most of us here are not that expert. We (or at least I) depend on and appreciate you breaking down your experience as in the post above. In fact, I'd love it if you found yourself in a 2016 Sport Hybrid so you could give us a comment about potential suspension differences between 2014 and 2016.

I think what you're seeing from other commenters, as most of us are average drivers, some of us (raising hand) driving enthusiasts but by no means expert, is that the car handles well for being nearly 4400 pounds. I don't think anyone is saying it's perfect. It's a far cry from what the early 2014 PAWS owners were saying about the suspension. A badly set up suspension can be obvious even to an ordinary driver. The Sport Hybrid seems workable to most owners here, by comparison.

In the sharper PA Turnpike curves near Pittsburgh, at 80 mph, this car is simply amazing for what it is, and on the tires it has. It's not my CTS-V, which is another heavy car with miraculously good handing in those same curves, but it is impressively good. Then again, my V wagon has a suspension that strongly leans toward road track performance with compromise for those of us who cruise, has better balance due to weight distribution (51-49), and wears Michie PSSs, which are great summer enthusiast street tires.

In routine driving of the Sport Hybrid, including in the curves, you barely notice the weight. On the track, or in 9/10th driving, there's obviously going to be some difference. Then again, I only do 9/10th driving in my S2000 and CTS-V, and I admit not having done this in my Sport Hybrid yet. I'm a bit shy about doing so on low-resistance street tires, even on a track.

Last edited by neuronbob; 07-11-2015 at 11:36 AM.
TampaRLX-SH (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'm a bit shy about doing so on low-resistance street tires, even on a track.
Best way to learn. :-)

R-comps on a street suspension...instructor's nightmare.