Service Reminder Direct From My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Service Reminder Direct From My Car?

I just received an Acura-generated service reminder telling me that my Oil Life is at 15%, which, in fact, it is. I do not subscribe to AcuraLink. I get lots of these 6" x 9" postcards from Acura, directing me to my local dealer for this or that special pomotion. But I have never been told what my oil life is or that I am now due for a specific maintenance. Is the car telling the mother ship what my service status is, or is this a coincidence - a guess based on past service records? Anyone else seen this? Maybe it's always been there and I never noticed it?

The exact wording on the card is "Current Systems & Levels. Oil Life 15%. Service Due Soon."
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
You are subscribed to AcuraLink Basic for the first 3 years of the car - so yes, your car is connected. You also are connected without an AcuraLink subscription to accommodate Traffic Data (no charge). Acura likely has an agreement with the dealers to send notifications when the car MID alerts for service. When your MID hit 15% the car pinged the AcuraLink servers which relayed a message to your dealership. I assume you also have an Acura Owner's profile registered with your preferred dealership, message notification selections, etc.

So yes, you are being watched.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Pro

Thanks, Tampa. I forgot about the free 3-year basic service. And I do have an owner's profile. But I've never noticed this notification before. Have you received such cards, or is this a new use of their ever-watchful monitoring of my car? (And do they know how fast I have been driving? Just kidding, I think.)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ I have not been summoned for my 1st service call yet. My MID is at 50%. So I cannot confirm the tie-in to AcuraLink 2 from my vehicle. But I expect Acura saw this as an opportunity to watch our MID service calls and alert the dealer for a sales opportunity (service call). In today's clandestine data management (and mis-management) I cannot imagine Acura developed a 2 way communication system without leveraging opportunity to target market us. To some this is a neat idea that the car is so smart, to others it is more the car narc'ing on you. I must find the AcuraLink service agreement and scrutinize the privacy clause - I anticipate it has language that they own any data in the AcuraLink system.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (09-26-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Pro

Question that I am sure has been answered but I can't find it: What does AcuraLink use to communicate from the car up to the servers, if not my phone? XM is not two-way? NAV is not too-way?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by fsmith
Question that I am sure has been answered but I can't find it: What does AcuraLink use to communicate from the car up to the servers, if not my phone? XM is not two-way? NAV is not too-way?
AcuraLink II has a built in cellular transceiver. It is also a voice transmitter when you push the AcuraLink or Assist buttons. If the car needs to send a diagnostic or service data message to the AcuraLink servers, it uses this transceiver to contact the cloud. In effect, the car has a built in cell phone.
fsmith (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Wait a minute.....Does that mean the Acura corporate can track how the car is operated? If so would they know what our speeds attained are, throttle inputs, braking, etc...? I'm a good civilian most of the time, but there are other times where hitting the gas gets the blood flowing. You know us older guys...
Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Wait a minute.....Does that mean the Acura corporate can track how the car is operated? If so would they know what our speeds attained are, throttle inputs, braking, etc...? I'm a good civilian most of the time, but there are other times where hitting the gas gets the blood flowing. You know us older guys...
From what i have heard, the car's memory holds a snapshot of the last few seconds before you turn it off (like a black box).

Then it overwrites that the following time you turn off the car, etc, etc.....

But i don't know if its true......

I highly doubt that any driving data is sent anywhere.....
Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
AcuraLink II has a built in cellular transceiver. It is also a voice transmitter when you push the AcuraLink or Assist buttons. If the car needs to send a diagnostic or service data message to the AcuraLink servers, it uses this transceiver to contact the cloud. In effect, the car has a built in cell phone.
Correct. To add it also uses GPS for a couple of things.....

HTH.
The following 2 users liked this post by pgeorg:
fsmith (10-19-2016), hondamore (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Pro

^^^ Missing function: Send car maintenance minder info to Acura server to allow marketing of local dealer service department!
pgeorg (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^ That may be part of the remote diagnostics. Your MID alerts for a service call. A data transmission is sent to the AcuraLink servers. Acura servers alert your registered dealer (via customer service). You 'magically' receive a notice from your dealer for an expected service call.

I recall a member posting he rec'd a dealer service notice after his MID alert rendered. I have not yet had my 1st service alert so I cannot verify with my car....yet.
pgeorg (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

^^
Tampa it is over a year that you have the car now, you should think about changing the oil sooner than later.

I believe the owners manual advises to change the oil when the MID shows 15%, or if one year goes by......

Just putting it out there :-)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I was waiting for that.

I already had an appointment for next week, and was hoping the MID would trigger before then. I actually had queried my tech a few times concerning the 1 year mark and knowing me and my car he suggested to do an A1 for good measure. That is when I made the appointment. At least I can use my service credits I was given when I purchased the car.

But do I need to remove the manufacturer quality check 'dot' still on my tires???
Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I was certain this did not slip your mind, but you mentioned twice that you have not had your 1st service "yet"......so i had to bring it up :-)

He he, those dots last a surprisingly long time.......
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Pro

^^^ That may be part of the remote diagnostics. Your MID alerts for a service call. A data transmission is sent to the AcuraLink servers. Acura servers alert your registered dealer (via customer service). You 'magically' receive a notice from your dealer for an expected service call.
Slight correction: The mailed notice comes from Acura corporate, with a reference on it to see my dealer. But my dealer (service dept.) knew nothing about it and apparently had not been notified. In fact, they seemed surprised to see the notice I showed them. It may be that Acura's "watching you for service" system is not yet complete. I went in for service on my own; don't need no damned reminder!
pgeorg (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

fsmith, are you registered with MyAcura.com? If you have not set up an owner profile, and / or have not designated your preferred dealer for service, then corporate could not forward to the dealer. Otherwise you can make a service call appointment with the car. When I have made service calls with my dealership and the appointment was made via MyAcura, the dealer service site or with the car the check in paperwork was printed and only needed my signature. This is great should you use a key drop and leave the car before opening hours.

But honestly, I prefer the old fashioned way. That being I am fortunate to have a wonderful relationship with my dealership and a simple phone call or text has gotten me whatever I needed, whenever I needed it. That has much value to me - and was key when I was on the fence about leaving the brand.
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
fsmith (10-20-2016), hondamore (10-20-2016), pgeorg (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^^I believe that your relationship with the dealer has to be mutually beneficial. That is, I am loyal to Acura and my dealers knows that, so I get treated like gold when I'm at there. At the same time, because I am treated like gold at the Acura dealership, I am more loyal to Acura with my vehicle purchases and service needs. I'm pretty sure that the sales managers reminder to the General Manager that I've owned only Hondas and Acuras for the past 30 years played a large part in the outstanding deal that I got on my Sport Hybrid.

On a side note... I'm a year and a half into ownership of my Sport Hybrid and I'm still waiting on my first Maintenance notification. I've only got about 4200 miles on my car, so I was intrigued by TampaRLX's service tech recommending an A1 "just for good measure" - food for thought. All Canadian RLX's get free maintenance for 3 years and I negotiated free oil changes for life when I bought the car (they limit the expense to traditional oil and I'll have to pay for synthetic).
The following 3 users liked this post by hondamore:
fsmith (10-20-2016), pgeorg (10-20-2016), TampaRLX-SH (10-22-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Pro

But honestly, I prefer the old fashioned way. That being I am fortunate to have a wonderful relationship with my dealership and a simple phone call or text has gotten me whatever I needed, whenever I needed it. That has much value to me - and was key when I was on the fence about leaving the brand.
I completely agree. After 30 years with the same dealership, when I go in for service they are happy to see me and I am happy to see them. I usually make the rounds to say hi to the service manager, GM, etc. It is a delight to be so well treated, and they know I appreciate them and am totally loyal. Why else would I have waited two years to get my hands on my SH-AWD? I, too, was on the fence while waiting, and had begun the look at the alternatives. But the dealer relationship was a big part of what held me back. They know me and they know how particular I am about keeping my cars like new, and I think they appreciate that and appreciate my 30 year loyalty. And now I still have that relationship and also have the best car I have ever owned. What a happy boy I am!
The following 3 users liked this post by fsmith:
hondamore (10-22-2016), pgeorg (10-20-2016), TampaRLX-SH (10-22-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by hondamore
On a side note... I'm a year and a half into ownership of my Sport Hybrid and I'm still waiting on my first Maintenance notification. I've only got about 4200 miles on my car, so I was intrigued by TampaRLX's service tech recommending an A1 "just for good measure" - food for thought.
pgeorg is correct, the manual does state that if your MID does not trigger a service advice within a year, an oil change is recommended. When I spoke to my tech, he agreed that the manual should be followed, but told me not to rush in as he knows my SH is a garage queen and I check the oil level regularly. If the oil level did not drop and the oil looked clean, just to plan the oil change when convenient. I too have <5K miles so it won't hurt to rotate the tires at this point.

Besides I have an Acura debit card I need to use before it expires. I also have $1K in free maintenance care of the dealer, so why not make use of them. At this rate I will be in the car 3 years before I get the first service advice from the MID - and that is too long for even a simple visual inspection.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 10-20-2016 at 05:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (10-20-2016), pgeorg (10-20-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
<5K miles in a year?
you guys need to drive more
Old 10-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getakey
<5K miles in a year?
you guys need to drive more
I agree completely!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

OK, OK! I got my A1 service done this morning. But if I change the oil every year, I will never see a MID advice.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
I would not reset it again on next years A1 service, until it actually reaches 15% and shows you what to do. Then you can reset it, and wait two years until it reaches 15% again :-).

Of course we can always let you know what our MID shows..... :-).
Old 10-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I actually learned something today. The removed oil looked dark to me, not the golden or amber color of fresh oil. I must have reacted to seeing it as my tech laughed at me. I knew that Honda had additives it adds to the initial oil fill from the factory, to aide in break in. I learned that the additive is primarily molybdenum disulfide, which is like a graphite lubricant. That does make the initial oil darker as the car breaks in. (It also connects to the graphite luster paint color of my car!) More importantly it adds a magnetic property to the oil, which will attract and carry break-in wear particles to the oil filter. So then I asked if we should not change the oil before the MID advice, and he told me past 3K miles the additive had done it's job.

I also discovered my dealership is currently being remodeled and expanded to bring it upmarket. If it is even close to the remodel done at the sister Audi dealer, it will be sweet. They delivered their 1st NSX to an out of state buyer and have 2 more on order. It seems the initial builds are a bit slower than anticipated. I read they expected to build 80 / month and I am told they are at about half of that. But hey, if you wait 15 years for a car, what is a few more months?

AND I learned that their SECOND RLX SH is due in. My exclusivity was threatened. BUT it was ordered for one of the district execs....one who was engaged with my RLX acquisition. Same color as mine....so I will take that as a compliment. Last, my Acura tin in the console compartment is again filled with a fresh batch of jelly beans. That alone will motivate me to make service visits more frequently!
The following 3 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
hondamore (10-23-2016), nist7 (10-22-2016), pgeorg (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
AND I learned that their SECOND RLX SH is due in. My exclusivity was threatened. BUT it was ordered for one of the district execs....one who was engaged with my RLX acquisition. Same color as mine....so I will take that as a compliment. Last, my Acura tin in the console compartment is again filled with a fresh batch of jelly beans. That alone will motivate me to make service visits more frequently!
So it's a company car for a higher level, corporate manager. Not a true customer per se. So you're still the exclusive public customer it seems!

Was watching a CTS-V review of Jay Leno's Garage, and the Cadillac exec who was on their said his company car is also a CTS-V....ah to be in upper corporate management position has its perks!
TampaRLX-SH (10-22-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question...but the side of me is curious...does anyone know which cellular network(s) is(are) used?