Rumor: RLX gone by 2019, replaced by "NSX-like 4 door"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Rumor: RLX gone by 2019, replaced by "NSX-like 4 door"

Spreading a TOV rumor based on Acura dealer meetings.

Could be a dream and not true.....but if true....

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > General Talk > > Re: News from Acura

Enjoy!
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
George Knighton (08-19-2015), hondamore (08-18-2015), Timmy18 (08-23-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
2019...that would be right about the time that my future 2016 SH 36-month lease would be up for renewal...
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Spreading a TOV rumor based on Acura dealer meetings.

Could be a dream and not true.....but if true....

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > General Talk > > Re: News from Acura

Enjoy!
I hope it goes through, I just read through the thread. Since the NSX is built in America, the RLX could go from being all JDM built to American built. ugh. But if it looks sexy like the NSX, sign me up, this could mean Acura bringing passion back into their designs. This would make the car like a 4-door coupe? A7 and CLS competitor? That could be the next big thing for Acura. Hopefully not another 7 year run like the 2G rl. 5 years and the RLX needs to be gone if acura wants to start moving RLXs off the lot. Saw a Hybrid RLX today at the dealer when my car was getting warranty work done. The thing was literally collecting dust, and the battery was dead when they gave me the keys.. so much for a test drive
Old 08-19-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
that's 4-5 years away.

is it going to get delayed, like the NSX?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Call me crazy, but the RLX SH is already 'NSX-like'. I has the fundamentals of the NSX drivetrain.

I saw nothing in that thread where it stated NSX-like styling. And I doubt Acura would be too daring with the flagship sedan. Given the success of the TLX, which IMHO has less intriguing styling than the RLX, why would they take another power phlegm attempt?

And as usual on TOV, they take a breadcrumb of 3rd party rumor and are already half way into their typical 12 steps to hate. Start with a rumor, over project what the reality will be (where they are right now), criticize as a failed attempt and pour on the hate (they just cannot wait to attack)....all before anyone has a tangible experience with the car / issue at hand.

I often wonder if Jeff ponders what about TOV creates this vicious cycle and attracts members of that mindset? I've listened to his reports and he seems like a really nice and sincere person. Whatever armor he has to insulate from the venom spewed there makes him a better man than I can ever be.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 08-19-2015 at 07:05 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
2011TL (08-19-2015), hondamore (08-19-2015), neuronbob (08-19-2015), pgeorg (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Who knows if any of this will actually happen? Four years is an eternity in the world of auto manufacturing. I thought this was a nice tidbit to share, though. Even if it doesn't come to be, it at least reveals that someone is actually planning something at Acura, which given the poor release of the RLX, is meaningful.

As for the usual TOV complainers....meh. It's the Internet. I take everything with a big grain of salt. Some guys have nothing better to do than to fling poo.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

As for the usual TOV complainers....meh. It's the Internet. I take everything with a big grain of salt. Some guys have nothing better to do than to fling poo.
Indeed. I am naive hoping that not ALL of the internet need be so. I search for those distant dark corners of the web.

....and I would LOVE an emoticon of 'flinging poo'! Such an devolved act so distinctly represents modern behavior enabled by technology.
The following users liked this post:
fsmith (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
that's 4-5 years away.

is it going to get delayed, like the NSX?
This is how history repeats itself.

A couple years from now, another Honda CEO changes hand.

This new CEO turns everything upside down, just like all other predecessors. He scraps all programs that has been previously setup by the outgoing CEO.

Who knows what the RLX program will become ? 4-5 years are a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
dom (08-20-2015), justnspace (08-20-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Call me crazy, but the RLX SH is already 'NSX-like'. I has the fundamentals of the NSX drivetrain.

I saw nothing in that thread where it stated NSX-like styling. And I doubt Acura would be too daring with the flagship sedan. Given the success of the TLX, which IMHO has less intriguing styling than the RLX, why would they take another power phlegm attempt?
Hondatalover did go on to reply stating that they mentioned "Porsche Panamera like". I took that as an indication behind their intent of the NSX-like 4-door. So who knows, it could be referring to the styling. Maybe they will be daring enough with Ikeda behind the wheel now?

If there's any inkling of truth to it, my bet is that they sharpen up the styling of the RLX to be more aggressive like an NSX, but not to the point of an NSX. Examples that come to mind are the A7, 4-series Gran Coupe (which is a hot car), MB E63, or like Hondatalover indicated, the Porsche Panamera. All very luxurious 4-door sport cars.

After all, the RLX is a "sports car" in a "sedans" suit. Which IMO is one of the things that caused the RLX to fail. Visually it attracts the wrong type of driver. It looks like a fat luxury cruiser, but drives/handles like a sports car. So on one end, you fail to make an older buyer looking for a nice high-end luxury car feel good after the first test drive because they expected a much smoother, compliant driving experience. And on the opposite end you don't even get buyers looking for a nice luxury sports car considering it because it doesn't look "sexy" or create that visceral emotion when you look at it (as one expects in a sports car). So they never even bother test driving it to experience what a great sports car it really is (the Sport-Hybrid to be specific).

So you fail on both ends of the stick, and only get the few weirdos like us in the middle that actually like the confused car that it is.

Last edited by holografique; 08-19-2015 at 04:37 PM.
pgeorg (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

^^^

good points. But my opinion is that flagships are more executive sedans and less bleeding edge sport. A8, BMW7, Merc S, Lexus LS, etc all are more buttoned down. The Panamera is an exception but it had to nod to Porche's iconic 911 design that translates in all of its models. (Personally I thing the Panamera is ugly). Porsche as a brand is more about sport than luxury. The RLX was a response to make the model more flagship like, and INMO it is moreso than was the RL.

I also think most flagship owners expect a level of restraint, with exception to those who think the CUV or the Halo car is the flagship.

I would think if Acura were to launch a styling changes model, the TLX or a higher volume car would be the recipient. I also think it would appeal more to younger buyers than the typical flagship 50+ age market. If those buyers want a sports car, they buy a sports car.

And Acura is finding success with the TLX, toned down RDX and toned down MDX. This after attempting daring design with was not a success.

I think Acura knows the SH RLX is an anomaly. And I think they are measuring the size of the market segment it appeals to. But ultimately, the car is a mule to launch the technology, which may or may not become the signature of the brand in whole or part of the lineup.

I think we will find out if the NSX successfully brings SH to the masses as a Halo car. Then I expect it will make its way into the MDX, TLX, RDX and possibly the ILX.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
pgeorg (08-19-2015), wstr75 (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Whatever shape they package the Sport Hybrid drive train in, it will be a great car. There is no doubt in my mind that Acura/Honda has created a cutting edge technology. While some may think it awkward or confusing to put this technology into the RLX, I am just going to enjoy it. I would certainly prefer a somewhat more sporty look [like the A 7] but I don't object to the appearance of the RLX Sport Hybrid. If Acura/Honda had the desire and capital to expand the Acura brand there would be a market for both a RLX Sport Hybrid and a A 7/Panamera like model. At the moment, it doesn't seem like there is the commitment or resources to do so.
pgeorg (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts

And as usual on TOV, they take a breadcrumb of 3rd party rumor and are already half way into their typical 12 steps to hate. Start with a rumor, over project what the reality will be (where they are right now), criticize as a failed attempt and pour on the hate (they just cannot wait to attack)....all before anyone has a tangible experience with the car / issue at hand.

I often wonder if Jeff ponders what about TOV creates this vicious cycle and attracts members of that mindset? I've listened to his reports and he seems like a really nice and sincere person. Whatever armor he has to insulate from the venom spewed there makes him a better man than I can ever be.
Under the hood, the RLX is similar (sport hybrid AWD), but the actual car could draw much more heavily from the NSX halo car. Also, I'm surprised no rumors have sprung about self driving. We all know it's coming.

Last edited by kurtatx; 08-19-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^

good points. But my opinion is that flagships are more executive sedans and less bleeding edge sport. A8, BMW7, Merc S, Lexus LS, etc all are more buttoned down. The Panamera is an exception but it had to nod to Porche's iconic 911 design that translates in all of its models. (Personally I thing the Panamera is ugly). Porsche as a brand is more about sport than luxury. The RLX was a response to make the model more flagship like, and INMO it is moreso than was the RL.

I also think most flagship owners expect a level of restraint, with exception to those who think the CUV or the Halo car is the flagship.

I would think if Acura were to launch a styling changes model, the TLX or a higher volume car would be the recipient. I also think it would appeal more to younger buyers than the typical flagship 50+ age market. If those buyers want a sports car, they buy a sports car.

And Acura is finding success with the TLX, toned down RDX and toned down MDX. This after attempting daring design with was not a success.

I think Acura knows the SH RLX is an anomaly. And I think they are measuring the size of the market segment it appeals to. But ultimately, the car is a mule to launch the technology, which may or may not become the signature of the brand in whole or part of the lineup.

I think we will find out if the NSX successfully brings SH to the masses as a Halo car. Then I expect it will make its way into the MDX, TLX, RDX and possibly the ILX.
All good points.

However, I do think that Acura can be daring and successful at the same time, hence the NSX. I know people keep saying that their attempt at being daring was a failure, and it was! But IMO I believe that was a result of the 4G TL design itself. Not because they were trying to be "daring" per say. It was just a flat out bad and ugly design, didn't matter if it was daring or not. It was also such a radical departure from the previous TL, that it only added insult to injury, unlike the gradual progression and changes that the Germans have been really good about. That was IMO the only design failure they've had in my book. The older RDX/MDX/ILX were all great looking cars prior to the recent changes. And to be honest, I actually prefer the pre-mmc ILX. The new one is a little too over done. Like it's trying just a little too hard to be aggressive looking.

The NSX is proof of what happens when you execute properly on the perfect blend of being bold/daring AND execute well on the design elements where every single centimeter and element of the design is cohesively brought together in a single glance. There is not a single thing in the NSX design that makes me go "that doesn't look right", or "that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the car design, wth??" Not the mis-mash mis-proportioned mis-matching abomination that we saw in the 4G TL.

Oh, and absolutely agree the Panamera is one ugly car!

Last edited by holografique; 08-19-2015 at 05:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by holografique:
neuronbob (08-20-2015), pgeorg (08-19-2015), TampaRLX-SH (08-19-2015), wstr75 (08-19-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Question Question

So let me preface this by saying I do not know much about the technical/mechanical aspect of cars. That being said, the NSX was delayed in part because they went from a transverse mount to longitudinal.

My understanding is that the initial transverse system was basically the RLX hybrid flipped around. Therefore, could they flip the new NSX longitudinal layout for the next RLX? I realize that the vehicle will still be FWD, but is could have RWD proportions like the initial Acuras?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
That being said, the NSX was delayed in part because they went from a transverse mount to longitudinal.
That added a model year. It was a bit of a ruction. :-)

And it added to the price.

I'm not sure I even buy into why you'd want to switch to longitudinal. You've changed the polar moment of inertia...adversely.

It works, but requires more of the computers to balance the car. (I could type for hours about this...but that's the bottom line.)

Deciding Cosworth would build the motors added a considerable amount of money to an already considerable MSRP. :-(
Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by holografique
Oh, and absolutely agree the Panamera is one ugly car!
You had to bring that up.

*Bob heads to bathroom to barf*

Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

....pregnant?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Pro

At least the Panamera is distinctive....and it is a Porsche. Seriously, I also did not find the look of the Panamera appealing at first but it has grown on me [there are loads of them in LA]. I haven't checked but I'll bet there are more of them sold than RLXs [PAWS and Sport Hybrid combined].

Anyway, the point of the discussion is that the Sport Hybrid doesn't look "sporty" but bland, just like the PAWS, yet it is a very different car. I would prefer something sportier looking but I'd rather have the Sport Hybrid, with its dull looks than some F series Lexus with a milquetoast handling and performance.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
At least the Panamera is distinctive....and it is a Porsche. Seriously, I also did not find the look of the Panamera appealing at first but it has grown on me [there are loads of them in LA]. I haven't checked but I'll bet there are more of them sold than RLXs [PAWS and Sport Hybrid combined].
Popularity does not assure purpose or good taste.

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.”
― Voltaire, Candide
Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

At least the Panamera is distinctive....
Distinctively ugly. JMHO, FWIW, etc. I'd take our "bland" yet handsome car over that. There's a guy in my neighborhood who has one and despite much time, I can't get over the look.

I love the current Lexus GS look, "Predator" jaws and all. Handling is a bit milquetoast IMHO, so I agree with you there.

As for the RLX, I, too, would prefer something sportier-looking as well, but uniquely Acura. I'd love to see some components of the NSX on the RLX. Who knows whether any of this will actually happen?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Pro

Popularity does not assure purpose or good taste.

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.”
― Voltaire, Candide
Perhaps it sells well in spite of its looks. It has generally gotten rave reviews as the best "sports sedan". It also has a much higher price than the RLX Sport Hybrid.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Perhaps it sells well in spite of its looks.
Because it is a Porsche

It has generally gotten rave reviews as the best "sports sedan".
Because it is a Porsche

It also has a much higher price than the RLX Sport Hybrid.
Because it is a Porsche

That does not change it is ugly (IMHO)
neuronbob (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Ever seen a Panamera in that dark purple color? It looks like something awful happened to an eggplant. One ugly car that, in non-turbo version, is not even that terrific in performance.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Grandpa

I never really thought the Panamera was ugly. It looks a little too much like a bigger version of previous, older Porsche models, and perhaps people find that difficult to swallow.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Perhaps it sells well in spite of its looks. It has generally gotten rave reviews as the best "sports sedan". It also has a much higher price than the RLX Sport Hybrid.
Tampa hits the reason solidly on the head. You can get away with some ugliness when your panache is at the top.

Myself, I'll take a T4S any day of the week. Or maybe a Cayman GTS. I'm a closet P-car purist at heart and owning a P-car is on my bucket list.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
The ZDX was one Fugly car also.....Let hope they don't bring that back as a 4 door sedan type. I knew it was a failure since day one....
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Kill the RLX nomenclature and resurrect the Legend name as many have already! Rise of the Legend! I see a commercial coming out of this. Almost a rising from the ashes. May the 4 Door NSX live on!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Grandpa

<p>
TOr maybe a Cayman GTS.&nbsp;<span style="font-size:13px; line-height:1.6">
</span></p><p>That is a lot of car for the money.</p><p>For a change. &nbsp;:-)</p>
Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Just to be clear, I am Hondatalover from TOV, and I was not part of the dealer meeting. I simply showed up a day after to have my '08 TL switchblade key cut and programmed to my TSX (a $78 success) and spoke with a very friendly and knowledgeable Client Advisor who I had close ties with before after 'showing off' my online portfolio of Acura edits and talking about Hondas and Acuras all day. He recognized me when I was exploring the TLX and we struct up a conversation and he spilled all the beans after I asked about them getting a NSX demo. That's when he told me about the meeting the day before.

I figure he telling me in the middle of the showroom talking at normal voices in front of other customers the information wasn't hush hush. He never said it was and we weren't in a private room.

All that was told to me that day can change and probably has changed by now, knowing Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by Timmy18:
hondamore (08-23-2015), neuronbob (08-23-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
I completely forgot to mention this previously and just remembered after waking up and just laying in bed thinking about the things said that day.

Acura is working on a larger SUV than the MDX to compete with the Tahoe and alike full-sized luxury SUV's.

There is no Acura minivan planned as far as he knew. I showed him the spy photos we seen and he didn't have anything to say because nothing was said about it.

Sorry about the late info.
TSX69 (08-24-2015)