RLX Sightings

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Last night while I was filling up a 13/14 TL SH-AWD was at the gas pump next to me. The driver asked me if I liked the RLX, and just as I about to answer him he noticed the "hybrid" emblem on the side of the car. His face lit up and he asked if that was the RLX Sport Hybrid. I proudly said yes. Our conversation continued for about 10 minutes after gassing up. He said that he saw this car at the New York Auto Show a couple of years back. I said that I did the same and proclaimed that if it were ever to come to the market, I would buy one. He said then we saw the same car, and he wanted to that too but did not know that they were available. I told him that isn't your fault. Acura didn't tell anyone or advertise it. Shit my own dealer who I told many times previously didn't call me when the one I now own was coming in. This is the kind of car that a dealer who knows their customers should have called in advance and told me that this was inbound and that I should come and look at it. That is common sense to me. You think someone who has purchased a performance oriented Lexus or BMW would get a call for a very special car that almost nobody will have the chance to own? You bet they would! Acura messed the launch up huge.

By the time I completed the run down of details about the car and the performance it provides, this guy said he was going to look for one today. I said you better be willing to travel for it because there are very few left nationwide. He said he is off of work for the week, so he is going to do it. I gave him my card so we could stay in contact. He seems like a complete car nut like us. Where is my commission?

Off to the DYNO tonight at 6;30pm!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^
There is a white SH-Tech at Pohanka Acura in northern Virginia. It's interesting that they have it on display in front of their showroom, but it's not listed in their online inventory.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I have seen 2 Veyrons in the wild in my life and 1 RLX in the wild. Thats some amazing averages.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Link

Here is a thread started 2 years ago about this topic:

getakey: RLX Sightings

Looks like it is still a rare find in the wild.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Since owning mine I have yet to see any other RLX's.

I must admit that I do get people looking to see what I'm driving. The RLX has road presence.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Threads merged.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by DASS
The RLX has road presence.
That...or there are so few of them that nobody can tell what it is. :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ both.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by George Knighton
That...or there are so few of them that nobody can tell what it is. :-)
I would say that if you cannot tell what it is at first glance, and there is desire to find out, then it likely has peaked some interest and not merely blended in with every other car on the road.

I still have not seen anyone else driving one, but I'm okay with that. It's been my experience that the RLX, when traveling down the road, is not immediately dismissed like the RL was so often.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
A friend of mine in Colorado Springs at a McCloskey Suzuki dealership spotted this for me. It didn't have tags.. Link below.
http://www.bigjoeauto.com/used/Acura...d42e102e26.htm

One of my acquaintances grandmother at school bought one when they first came out. She upgraded from a 2G TL.

I've only seen 1 RLX off the dealer lot since it came out.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timmy18
A friend of mine in Colorado Springs at a McCloskey Suzuki dealership spotted this for me. It didn't have tags.. Link below.
Used 2014 Acura RLX For Sale in Colorado Springs, CO - 141145

One of my acquaintances grandmother at school bought one when they first came out. She upgraded from a 2G TL.

I've only seen 1 RLX off the dealer lot since it came out.

I just think this car looks really nice.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ looks just like mine
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Instructor

I saw my first RLX today while driving on I-635 in Dallas.

I wish I had thought fast enough and asked my wife to snap a quick picture, but I didn't think about it until afterwards. I must say seeing it driving along next to mine was quite interesting because I had never seen one out in the wild.

I don't care what anyone says, I think the RLX is one nice looking car.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I saw two RLXs this week in my area. Both silver. Both with out of state plates. That's three this spring. Each time I see one, I worry that I will lose my regional exclusivity. So far they all move on.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had my first encounter yesterday while driving my RLX in Austin. I crossed another RLX at dawn in a narrow street, and clearly saw the double row headlights. Man, it is an elegant look!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is a black PAWS with an old lady driving it in my area and I frequently see the same silver PAWS on the opposite side of the road from me as I recognize the same orange base ball hat the guy wears. Other than that, I see more Ferrari and Lambos than RLXs.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Other than that, I see more Ferrari and Lambos than RLXs.
Me too. I would add that I see more Teslas than anything else.

I have never seen another Sport Hybrid and in the last year I have only seen one RLX but plenty of MDXs and TLXs.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

In my two years living in upper Roswell, GA Ive seen probably half a dozen RLX's. On occassion I've seen a few in downtown, including the 2016 I recently saw.

But overall in the entire Atlanta area as a whole, I mostly see the following (in order of most sightings)

1. Audi A6 - they are everywhere...period. Occassional 4 or 7, and every rare once in a blue moon an 8 but the A6 has to be the best selling luxury sedan in Atlanta.
2. MB E-series - mostly 250/350, but the occassional 550 or Coupe.
3. MB C-series - mostly 250/350, the occassional 400, and now starting to see more of the new 2015 model that I really like and has a high chance of being my next car.
4. BMW 3/5 series. Occassional 7, 6, or 4 series.
5. Acura MDX. Mind you 5th place is still really good as I see them all over the place. But unfortunately the top 4 are literally everywhere.
6. Acura TL. Starting to see more TLX's but its usually the 3G or the 4G that I see most still.
7. Lexus IS.
8. Infinitis of some sort (sedan or SUV)
8. Tesla. Dont know models well, just know those headlights and taillights well
9. Cadillacs of some sort.
10. Lexus LS. I really dont see alot of GS's which I find odd. But definitely see a good number of LS
11. Acura RDX or ILX

And the list goes on with the RLX last in place as the rarest (modern day) luxury car I see. Of course there are rarer vehicles to be seen but keeping it relative to this post.

One car that is F'n gorgeous that Ive seen twice now up in my area is that BMW i8. Wow is that car simply stunning. Its a white one with the blue accents. I believe the same person that Ive seen twice now. That thing is my modern day Delorean. Use to love the Delorean as a kid. The i8 gives me that same feeling as a 40 year old man
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique
In my two years living in upper Roswell, GA Ive seen probably half a dozen RLX's. On occassion I've seen a few in downtown, including the 2016 I recently saw.

But overall in the entire Atlanta area as a whole, I mostly see the following (in order of most sightings)

1. Audi A6 - they are everywhere...period. Occassional 4 or 7, and every rare once in a blue moon an 8 but the A6 has to be the best selling luxury sedan in Atlanta.
2. MB E-series - mostly 250/350, but the occassional 550 or Coupe.
3. MB C-series - mostly 250/350, the occassional 400, and now starting to see more of the new 2015 model that I really like and has a high chance of being my next car.
4. BMW 3/5 series. Occassional 7, 6, or 4 series.
5. Acura MDX. Mind you 5th place is still really good as I see them all over the place. But unfortunately the top 4 are literally everywhere.
6. Acura TL. Starting to see more TLX's but its usually the 3G or the 4G that I see most still.
7. Lexus IS.
8. Infinitis of some sort (sedan or SUV)
8. Tesla. Dont know models well, just know those headlights and taillights well
9. Cadillacs of some sort.
10. Lexus LS. I really dont see alot of GS's which I find odd. But definitely see a good number of LS
11. Acura RDX or ILX

And the list goes on with the RLX last in place as the rarest (modern day) luxury car I see. Of course there are rarer vehicles to be seen but keeping it relative to this post.

One car that is F'n gorgeous that Ive seen twice now up in my area is that BMW i8. Wow is that car simply stunning. Its a white one with the blue accents. I believe the same person that Ive seen twice now. That thing is my modern day Delorean. Use to love the Delorean as a kid. The i8 gives me that same feeling as a 40 year old man
88 Gigawatts dude!!!! Delorean lives on....

Here is a reality. I counted 5 Ferraris of various types (458, 430, 599, etc...), a Lambo and a MB 550 this morning going to pick up bagels at the local shop. Lots of other Acura MDX and TLX models too, but no RLX. I got into another conversation with a Ferrari owner at the bagel shop I parked next to about my paint care because he felt it stood out remarkably compared to other cars he has seen. Nice guy. I should just drive with my GoPro on so I can show you guys what I see out there. Off to the Basketball Hall of Fame with the family today. Enjoy your day everyone.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

88 Gigawatts dude!!!! Delorean lives on....
Great Scott!!!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord90MDX01RLX15
I just had my first encounter yesterday while driving my RLX in Austin. I crossed another RLX at dawn in a narrow street, and clearly saw the double row headlights. Man, it is an elegant look!
you will be seeing another around in the lakeway/south austin area
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Timmy18
That's one of those weird angles that makes the RLX look good, well designed and of solid structure...but with a vaguely sporting potential.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Red face +1

A few weeks ago I saw another Crystal Black Pearl/Ebony RLX on I40. I was kind of excited to see another on the road, such a rarity.

Last nite, I was at an intersection and thought I saw a white 1 from the side but it turns out that it was a BMW 7 series - the shape of the tail lights are quite similar.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX69
A few weeks ago I saw another Crystal Black Pearl/Ebony RLX on I40. I was kind of excited to see another on the road, such a rarity.

Last nite, I was at an intersection and thought I saw a white 1 from the side but it turns out that it was a BMW 7 series - the shape of the tail lights are quite similar.
I think from the 3/4 view from the rear of the front quarter panel and hood look similar between the BMW 7 series and the RLX.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
TWO Cleveland-area sightings.

One was Wednesday at the same gas station I frequent in North Randall, a suburb of Cleveland. It was a Crystal Black Pearl PAWS.

I saw another yesterday traveling south on Warrensville Center Rd. near Van Aken in Shaker Heights as I was driving north. This one was a Bellanova White Pearl PAWS.

I guess people are buying RLXs around here? This is the third RLX I've seen in the last month other than mine.

Other than mine, I've never seen another hybrid in the wild other than the one I test drove.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
TWO Cleveland-area sightings.

One was Wednesday at the same gas station I frequent in North Randall, a suburb of Cleveland. It was a Crystal Black Pearl PAWS.

I saw another yesterday traveling south on Warrensville Center Rd. near Van Aken in Shaker Heights as I was driving north. This one was a Bellanova White Pearl PAWS.

I guess people are buying RLXs around here? This is the third RLX I've seen in the last month other than mine.

Other than mine, I've never seen another hybrid in the wild other than the one I test drove.
I spotted a Silver PAWS which looked beautiful today. There are 4 2015 RLX Techs at my dealer. My salesman told me that for every one customer interested in the RLX, he has 6-10 that are interested in other models. The RLX Advance is about $13k more than the TLX Advance at the deal price which seems reasonable to me for an upgrade which then translates to about $300 per month difference assuming one finances 100% of each car.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Instructor

I saw only my second RLX today while traveling north on 205 in Rockwall, TX. The metallic grey RLX was traveling south headed towards Terrell, TX.

I'm not sure what it is, but here lately I seem to spot a Honda Accord on every corner, going and coming.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I saw a white RLX-PAWS today that was either lowered by 2 inches or loaded with 1,500 lbs of people (4 in the car and 2 in the trunk). I like the stock ride height.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Red face +1

Saw another grey RLX over the weekend. Perhaps it has been out long enough that I will now see it regularly on the streets. Speaking of which, I often see the 2nd generation RL nowadays (particularly the pre-MMC).
Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Grandpa

I saw a white RLX-PAWS today that was either lowered by 2 inches or loaded with 1,500 lbs of people (4 in the car and 2 in the trunk).
Somebody who posts here has lowered his car. Could be the same person. I can't imagine it's a very popular thing to do, mostly because of the lack of parts that requires the owner to be intimately acquainted enough with his suppliers to get the kind of attention that's required.

Our 5G cars are in theory an older suspension design (expensive multi-link, multi-ball joint, multi-arm) that should adapt well to lowering, up to a point.

But that assumes that the P-AWS system can handle the load, and that you can find a way to bring the camber in line.

When you lower these cars, you're going to tend to get too much camber in the rear, and relatively less increased camber in the front, which is the opposite of what you want if it's better handling that you're after. So you'll have to adjust the camber to get more on the nose and less on the tail.

And then toe becomes important beyond what you'd suppose, because you'll have to bring the toe back to zero or slightly negative in the rear, and probably no more than zero on the nose. And even that assumes you're a very good driver, because as you're approaching a sharp turn at 132 (assuming you haven't over ridden the limiter), as you go into threshold braking to make that turn, you're going to discover that if you even think about not holding the steering wheel perfectly straight, the car's going to veer off in some odd direction because of the combination of increased camber on the nose and the radically increased tyre contact patch that's provoked by the sudden transfer of all the weight of a 4400# car onto the nose.

But then that assumes you're going to be able to over ride the electronic stability controls enough to give you any appreciation of the theoretical advantage of the increased camber in the first place.

I think that before you think about altering the suspensions of the 5G RLX, you really should hang out with some Honda Challenge people so that you can understand why it's probably a bad idea unless you're going all out and unless you have some money to waste on the experimentation.
pgeorg (05-11-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Still haven't seen one in the wild anywhere. I saw what I thought was one 2 days ago and it ended up being a TLX. I looked on cars.com and there are only 3 for sale in a 200 mile radius of where I am. I am noticing a lot of older TL's. I have only seen 1 ILX. When I got my GS only saw 1 or 2 of them around. In about 6 years I might have saw 10. The population here is 200-300K. I have seen 2-3 legends in the past week. A few older RL's I think 1st Gen.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I just discovered a Black RLX P-AWS in my neighborhood (gated community ~ 500 houses); don't know the year. I am not longer the only one, albeit mine is Graphite Luster.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX69
Saw another grey RLX over the weekend. Perhaps it has been out long enough that I will now see it regularly on the streets. Speaking of which, I often see the 2nd generation RL nowadays (particularly the pre-MMC).
I too often see the 2G RL's around. Definitelt more so than the RLX.

However what's even rarer than the RLX is seeing a 2G MMC RL. (2012-2013 model). While i'm not a fan of the front design, I do like the rear design of the MMC.

And speaking of rear-end designs, anyone seen this pic of the RLX rear? For some reason this picture carries way more emotion and sex appeal then when I look at my RLX rear. Is it me or is the pic slightly out of proportion, making the rear look lower, sleeker and wider? (which to me is what I feel is the problem with the RLX rear, it does this weird narrowing out and juts upward)

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

The bumper inserts make the difference. I'm not sure I like it better though.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Grandpa

The ducktail upsweep on the RLX makes it look a little ungainly when viewed at a 90 degree angle, looking straight at the rear wheel.

However, when viewed farther away from an angle that's focused on the corner of the car, it comes together well.

To me, Timmy18's picture looks good, while the one that's taken looking straight at the rear bumper does not look so good.

But what the hell do I know.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ yup, that's it. at certain angles the upward swoop does work, at other angles it's just awkward looking.

And as for those inserts, one thing I'm noticing that helps make the rear in that picture look better is the lack of the contrasting chrome borders on the lower reflectors. I've never really like how much those stood out. I wonder if a gun-metal or flat out black would make that rear "tougher" looking like in the pic above....
Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
That was the RLX Concept video. Notice how the tail lights have a different light pattern in the middle and have a dark finish on the inside. I agree with holografique, because it was sort of a let down for me when the production model was unveiled and the tail lights didn't have that same flare. The tires at certain points in that video are much fatter than the production model's. Gives the car a nice stance.
holografique (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Grandpa

Wow. Really?

I think the way the tail got to production is a better looking car.

Except for that one perpendicular shot looking right at the rear wheel. :-)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I too often see the 2G RL's around. Definitelt more so than the RLX.

However what's even rarer than the RLX is seeing a 2G MMC RL. (2012-2013 model). While i'm not a fan of the front design, I do like the rear design of the MMC.

And speaking of rear-end designs, anyone seen this pic of the RLX rear? For some reason this picture carries way more emotion and sex appeal then when I look at my RLX rear. Is it me or is the pic slightly out of proportion, making the rear look lower, sleeker and wider? (which to me is what I feel is the problem with the RLX rear, it does this weird narrowing out and juts upward)

This backside looks good, i would do the same if i had one
Old 05-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by proudMDX
That was the RLX Concept video. Notice how the tail lights have a different light pattern in the middle and have a dark finish on the inside. I agree with holografique, because it was sort of a let down for me when the production model was unveiled and the tail lights didn't have that same flare. The tires at certain points in that video are much fatter than the production model's. Gives the car a nice stance.
Agreed. That tail in the pic carries much more "emotion" for me while still staying classy. The production version is more "conservative"...

Are there other pics of this "concept" model out there?

Quick Reply: RLX Sightings